• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I retarded? I cannot follow the game's story if it is more complex than pong!

keraj37

I cannot follow the game's story!
For example, recently I started playing Horizon Forbidden West, and I am like 5% in the story, and I have no clue what I need to do, I just follow the constant verbal and situational instructions, and UI feedback.
Am I retarded or something? Or you could say about the same experience.

Do you follow the story in any game, as it is said in its pace?
I don't, but fortunately in modern gaming I don't have to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If the story I enjoy, then yes, like I did with games like 13 Sentinels and Nier.

Horizon games in other hand...
buerk-disgusting.gif

Video games are a "story's optional" medium, and I'd argue that generally story hurts gaming more than not in the grand scheme of things. So it's possible that you're not completely retarded. Try playing games with minimal story.

keraj37

Maybe you are, though I had a hard time staiyng invested in HFW's story also, it's pretty fucking dull.
Maybe I am yes, but the story there doesn't seem dull, I just cannot keep up. Looks interesting, just to complex.
But to my justification, I didn't play Zero Down, had no clue what to expect.

Moriah20

Maybe I am yes, but the story there doesn't seem dull, I just cannot keep up. Looks interesting, just to complex.

I mean you chose to play a direct sequel to a game you haven't played. Sorry bro, maybe you truly are missing a wheel.

just kidding but yeah HFW doesnt make much sense without HZD

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I tend to follow the overall BROAD plot points, but I lose all interest beyond that, typically.

Like in HFW, I couldnt care less about the nuts-and-bolts, granular plot points of "Tribe A needs MacGuffin B but Tribe C took it because they used it for Bad Thing #234 so YOU HAVE TO GET IT BACK!!!!" Don't care. Can we get back to the futuristic, end-of-the-world stuff and stop throwing these pissant roadblocks in, please?

hemo memo

Gold Member
English is not my first language so sometimes it just become noise and I reach the ending without knowing what the hell is the story about.

Guilty_AI

For example, recently I started playing Horizon Forbidden West, and I am like 5% in the story, and I have no clue what I need to do, I just follow the constant verbal and situational instructions, and UI feedback.
You're not retarded, its poor storytelling design and many games, especially AAA, suffer from that.

Chronicle

I don't, but fortunately in modern gaming I don't have to.
I'm the same with games books and movies. Had it all my life. I'm in my late 40's. I think I have an undiagnosed learning g disability. Perhaps AAD

Books, yes, movies - after 5th rewatch, so no.
Interesting. If you can retain books, you aren't retarded, but you definitely have something interesting going on. You would be a good candidate for some kind of cognitive psych study. Sorry you cant follow vidya stories, most of the time they suck anyways though.

nkarafo

I have the same problem in 99,99% of games.

But it's not a problem with me because in the handful of games that i find the story interesting, i do follow it just fine.

So the issue is that almost all games have uninteresting stories and the same, boring way of delivering it, with same direction, generic voice acting, etc.

cireza

Maybe you can't remember stories that suck. Most recent, Western AAA games have utterly uninteresting stories. I played all three Tomb Raider games but couldn't tell you what the stories are.

However I know almost by heart Steins Gate, Steins Gate Zero and Fate Stay Night. And they are pretty complicated stories.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
This happens to me too OP, I miss obvious plot points and shit, even if the story is good I sometimes space out when I should be paying attention. The absolute worst is the beginning of a game when you should be paying attention the most, I'm at my least engagement and that adds fuel to the fire.

X-Wing

Absolutely yes. On the other hand the plot twist in pong was very complex, so if you got that you probably are smarter than all of us.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It's pretty retarded to play the second game in a series first, yeah. Go back and play ZD. You're missing like 30 hours of story.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forbidden West is a pinnacle of bad storytelling for moderately interesting story. not your fault.
But also - are you watching a lot of streams or social media? Problems with focus on a single activity?

Kikorin

In some games follow the story is more difficult than in movies or books IMHO, because if you want to do subquests too, and maybe you can play like 3 times a week for couple of hours each time can pass a lot of time between a main mission and another one.

But if play just main story and for a lot of hours each day, is not difficult. For example I played and finished Bayonetta 3 in like a week, and since was linear and not too long, follow the story has been pretty easy.

On the other hand, I played and finished Fire Emblem Three Houses in like 6 months and has been really tough to follow the story, I passed evenings just in the game library to study every fucking family and all the past of the game world as I never even been when I was at school, but at the end has been worth and I understood the plot.

Last edited:

TonyK

In a well narrated game like Naughty Dog's games, yes, I follow and appreciate the story. In the 99,9% of games, where narrative is very poor, and that's include, for me, from Persona 5, to Disco elysium, Horizon Forbidden West, Cyberpunk, etc... I don't give a shit about the story because narrative is so bad that I can't follow what they suppose want to explain me. But I can enjoy those games because of the gameplay, graphics, etc.

Top Bottom