• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I retarded? I cannot follow the game's story if it is more complex than pong!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Horizon Forbidden Wests story is complete ***. It's just a boring protagonist running into boring characters with boring dialogue firehosed at you in every cutscene. Your brain is saving you the energy to focus on more intellectually worthy pursuits OP.

keraj37

Horizon Forbidden Wests story is complete ***. It's just a boring protagonist running into boring characters with boring dialogue firehosed at you in every cutscene. Your brain is saving you the energy to focus on more intellectually worthy pursuits OP.

Good To Know Rick Flag GIF by The Suicide Squad

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Maybe, but 99% of videogame stories are so dumb that you are actually not missing a lot.

WoJ

Depends on the game. I don't think most game stories are any more vapid than your typical marvel movie. It can be hard to follow when games go above and beyond with terminology and storylines to try and add "depth" to the game. Xenogears and FF13 both come to mind there.

Right now I'm playing Callisto Protocol (which IMO isn't as bad as some have said) and the story is just non-existent. Dude seemingly wrongfully imprisoned on a space station is trying to escape after some type of zombie-esque outbreak. That's it. But the moment to moment encounters and experience of going through and doing what I need to do escape the space station are as much a part of the story for me as the narrative presented in cutscenes and dialogue.

That's where gaming excels in storytelling in my opinion. The stories I experience as a player during gameplay. If I like the setting, characters, and gameplay and even if the overarching story is gobbledygook, the other factors can elevate a game and its narrative. At least for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom