• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AM2R: The Metroid 2 HD remake Nintendo never gave us comes out August 6th!

What the freak. I need this game!

Looking forward to when it hits, even though I don't PC game. I think I need to pick up an 8bit SNES controller for this.

I take it you don't need amazing specs to play? I have an old iMac with Bootcamp installed.

Really wish this somehow gets ported to 3DS...even if by homebrew. Nintendo needs to hire this guy.

cireza

Played many demos of AM2R. Incredibly high quality game. Will be playing this as soon as it gets released.

I never wanted a game so bad since Streets of Rage Remake.

I will seriously lose my shit if I can't download this on release day due to unfortunate events.

Eolz

Holy shit never expected it out that soon!
M2 was really the only Metroid game needing a remake due to the hardware limitations actually making the experience worse than it should, despite it being a really good game.

Christ I remember playing the demo for this in... 2010?

Nintendo are pretty lax with C and Ds compared to companies like Konami so hopefully this should stand.

Mivey

No chance this will be playable on a 3DS through homebrew I suppose? I wanna have this on a handheld!
If it is some form of ROM hacking it would run on emulators. On the N3DS you can run anything up to SNES at full speed, so possibly.

Eolz

Sorry for the long quote but...

Jesus Christ people, stop with the C&D stuff. Nintendo do not shut down fan projects like this unless they are sold for a profit. I cannot recall a single instance where Nintendo has C&D'd a ROM hack or fan project like this, ever.

And before anyone says OOT 2D, that was the creator being an ass and trying to get out of the project. Nintendo didn't do shit. Nintendo did recently take down a browser version of SMB that was playable in widescreen - but that was essentially piracy and affecting their bottom line. Pokemon is also out of their hands, as the Pokemon Company issue the C&Ds.

Look at smwcentral.net! Thousands of hacks! Full disassembly of Mario World and Yoshis Island with the code hosted online! Been running over a decade! No C&Ds. Ever.

What about Zelda Classic? That's gotta be shut down by now right? Nope, still going!

Finally, here's Nintendo saying this on one occasion, but they have made their stance very clear many other times:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/meeting/100629qa/05.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.212334-Nintendo-Doesnt-Want-to-Shut-Down-Fan-Projects

So, please - can we stop with this stuff? It happens in literally every thread regarding Nintendo fan projects.

No.

Just out of curiosity, I just totalled up the posts that were purely about C&D in this thread. Out of a total 81 posts at that point, 41 were posting purely about the game being shut down. That's over half the thread. Half the thread is shit. And yes, I admit, I contributed to a couple.

What's the point of any fan project threads here when half the topic is filled with this kind of crap? I see the same with emulation threads where people repeatedly denounce it as wrong and illegal.

Coming into a thread just to say LOL THIS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN isn't clever. It isn't correct. It's tiring.
Sorry guys.

They very clearly focus on stuff that

a) asks for money in some form or another (re: Zelda anime kickstarter, Starfox anime patreon)

b) competes with an existing product (fan version of Twilight Princess HD)

c) brands itself in a way that could be taken as an official project (Twilight Princess HD, Super Mario 64 HD, Mario Bros X having the supermariobros.org domain name)

And, sure, they have gone after stuff that didn't necessarily break those rules, but enough of what they have done has to the point where, yes, you can kinda predict what projects they'll go after and what projects they won't. As of now, AM2R very clearly doesn't try and present itself in a way that could be confused as being an official product, it doesn't (directly, at least) compete with an existing product, and dude doesn't ask for any money for it.

Thanks to those posters, hopefully people read that.

misteryko

Neo Member
I guess wel'll have something good to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the series! And, according to wikipedia, the 1st Metroid was also released on August 6th!

So excited for this! Been watching it for years and I can't wait to play it. I might have to get one of the super famicom 8bitdo controllers for my PC before this hits.

Jyester

If it is some form of ROM hacking it would run on emulators. On the N3DS you can run anything up to SNES at full speed, so possibly.

Seeing that I'm part of the O3DS plebs I won't get my hopes up, but looking forward to this regardless. Thanks.

Man, this is great news. Been following this project for ages, and it's been hard to stay away from the demos, but I want to just play the finished game. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
No chance this will be playable on a 3DS through homebrew I suppose? I wanna have this on a handheld!

Seeing that I'm part of the O3DS plebs I won't get my hopes up, but looking forward to this regardless. Thanks.

Chances are, no it won't run on a handheld unless someone can port it. As it stands, the game is a native windows app, not a ROM hack or even anything usable in Nintendo's software.

Glad I bought one of these then

gpd-win.jpg

rjc571

Banned
LOL at calling this an "HD remake".

Well, I guess it makes sense if you consider the Genesis to have "High-Definition Graphics".

I was having some issues with the D-pad not functioning at all during gameplay when playing the demo (I was using a DS4). Made it kind of hard to control, especially during tense Metroid fights.

Anyone know if that's going to be fixed for the final?

hypotc

LOL at calling this an "HD remake".

Well, I guess it makes sense if you consider the Genesis to have "High-Definition Graphics".

Made you click the thread and post a reply, didn't it? I'm sure you can understand what I meant with the title, even though it's technically not a HD remake.

TDLink

I was having some issues with the D-pad not functioning at all during gameplay when playing the demo (I was using a DS4). Made it kind of hard to control, especially during tense Metroid fights.

Anyone know if that's going to be fixed for the final?

The current demo is over a year old, so I'd assume many bugs will be remedied at this point. Guess we'll see.

IrishNinja

so, so hyped

never got through Metroid 2 proper, and i know i should but ive been waiting on this version forever now!

Rich!

Prime Hunters was an amazing Quake-lite arena-shooter for the DS with an okay campaign as a bonus and I will defend it until the heatdeath of the universe.

But is it really better than the other METROID games?

edit: holy shit I'm glad I noticed that my phone autocorrected metroid to negroid there. Fucking hell. My last phone did this too

Zero-ELEC

Banned
But is it really better than the other METROID games?

edit: holy shit I'm glad I noticed that my phone autocorrected metroid to negroid there. Fucking hell. My last phone did this too

Heck yeah, it's better than Metroid II. And I say this as someone who freakin' loves Metroid II. It's my second favourite mainline game, first being Zero Mission.
Prime Hunters and Other M. Federation Force might fight for first place in August.

Of course, a spin-off multiplayer title would obviously be worse than the game that nearly killed the franchise, clearly. :p

Amani

Ah, had my eye on this one for a while; it's was up there with Megaman Unlimited for my most anticipated fan games. Auto transforming into the Morph Ball near tight spaces just by running forward is such a good quality of life mechanic.

ramparter

Banned
Gives Nintendo a month to send a C&D. Why people never learn to release stuff like this before announcing it?
They probably looking for exposure and then the typical drama of nintendo not letting them release it. Im sorry but at this point its their own fault, when its a remake its like giving someone the ability to play a nintendo game for free. This wont go through.

Looks great! I would really like to give this game another go. I've only ever beaten the original once and it's a nice take on the series and definitely more playable than the original NES game. Zero Mission is one of my favorite remakes and if they can nail that level of polish versus the original we should be in for a treat.

Also if Nintendo doesn't C&D this we can add that to the list of proof that Nintendo just doesn't care about Metroid anymore.

I have the original game on my 3DS, but I never could play it for more than a few minutes. The tiny, narrow field of view made it outright unplayable to me. I felt like I couldn't see where the hell I was going or where I was going to land after a jump.

That shouldn't be a problem with this remake, so I can't wait to try this.

Top Bottom