• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and wife MacKenzie set to divorce

FireEmoji

Banned
Can any one here savvy in marriage laws enlighten me? Technically, if their kids are all grown up and legal, that the wife worked full time during marriage, he doesn't owe her anything does he?

Child Support is only for kids under 18. Alimony is mostly for mothers who stayed at home.
I mean yeh they might have to seprate some assets (houses, car,etc) but I really hope she won't receive any income from his part.

Marriage is straight up scam for billionaires...

That's not how any of this works in Washington where they got married.

She married him before he created Amazon.com.

Marriage is a contract that basically joins you as one financial entity; even with the much misunderstood "pre-nup" in general the income you make, the things you create or buy, are also your spouses. 50/50. Most states aren't strictly like that but Washington is.

MacKenzie Bezos is worth just as much as Jeff was, but he obviously gets credited for it.

If she wants to, she can "Take half." And yes that literally means he'd have to figure out a way to compensate her for half of his massive wealth which is mostly not liquid, but rather in shares of his company. It sounds like she probably won't go for that but you can believe she'll be as fabulously wealthy as she wants to be until she dies.

I doubt she could get alimony because she won't need it at all, but for normal non-rich people?

If your wife makes a fraction of what you make, or isn't employed, even if you have no kids you can owe alimony. I've known people who were married less than 2 years where the guy had to pay alimony. Granted it was only for 2 years, but they still had to pay.

Divorces are basically law suits when they aren't amicable. Otherwise 2 people CAN work things out on their own, and a judge will grant the divorce as long as it's not obvious that someone isn't being taken advantage of or threatened. But if the person you are divorcing, or who is divorcing you is an asshole... they can file a lawsuit full of whatever lies they feel like coming up with, and you are then backed into a corner facing paying a lawyer potentially $10k+ or just paying up.

Last edited:

FireEmoji

Banned
And good lord people this is not some tax scheme.

It's likely they waited until after the law change because they prefer the new way of taxation, but it's not some new magical away to erase taxes. It moves the burden from the payee to the payer.

Which is kind of fucking wack but it's also totally possible Bezos is fine with it. But for all we know they don't even plan to go the spousal support route, there are other ways to pay money over time to someone you've divorced.

It's an amicable divorce between people so rich neither will ever have to worry; they apparently have been basically living a fake marriage for a long time anyways, leading their lives as friends and parents. Jeff is probably happy to help his soon to be ex-wife, the mother of his children, continue to live however she wants running charities and writing books.

You guys really should reserve your anger for when not-rich people get divorced. That's when people get fucked over.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Popping in to say his wife is very attractive and supposedly highly intellectual, his affair is a huge downgrade, wtf is wrong with this baldie?

At least cheat with some one better.

Last edited:

Ownage

Like what?
Takes one to know one.

Loving exploration, my friend.

https://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/jeff-bezos-lauren-sanchez-text-messages-affair-scandal/

In one message obtained by The Enquirer, on newsstands today, Bezos wrote: “I love you, alive girl. I will show you with my body, and my lips and my eyes, very soon.”

In another pillow talk exchange, on May 13, the horn-dog billionaire wrote: “I want to smell you, I want to breathe you in. I want to hold you tight.… I want to kiss your lips…. I love you. I am in love with you.”

Thirsty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom