• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon finally releases a waterproof Kindle

kulapik

It starts at $250. Also it has an audible option, but no headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD5YCKX/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kindle-Oasis_Waterproof_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BquHaCI8H2iZt3nW2G9iqzpcabuec69zDxI4bRtXygcK8.jpg

Kindle-Oasis_Audible_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

I've got device envy for the super high priced Kindle. Don't think I'll ever buy one because the ~$70 base paperwhite (or w/e it costs) is just a rock solid mostly perfect e-reader, but every time I see those models I get envious of them.

Water proof is a great feature. It's kind of a marvel that they didn't introduce this with the earlier high priced models. No headphone jack is a negative, but I'd miss the headphone jack on a kindle much less than I'd miss one on my phone or tablet... In the 6 or 7 years that I've owned a kindle I've never once listened to audio on it. I have an Audible account too, but I exclusively listen to Audible on my phone and PC.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I use my Voyage daily. This is smaller, lighter, has a bigger display, and is waterproof. Seems like a win-win, especially with the trade-in program.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Legit for those that need it.

Cool device on it's own, but I can't justify the price for me over the cheaper models.

kulapik

I've got device envy for the super high priced Kindle. Don't think I'll ever buy one because the ~$70 base paperwhite (or w/e it costs) is just a rock solid perfect e-reader, but every time I see those models I get envious of them.

Water proof is a great feature. It's kind of a marvel that they didn't introduce this with the earlier high priced models. No headphone jack is a negative, but I'd miss the headphone jack on a kindle much less than I'd miss one on my phone or tablet... In the 6 or 7 years that I've owned a kindle I've never once listened to audio on it. I have an Audible account too, but I exclusively listen to Audible on my phone and PC.

Tbf, Kindles never had headphone jacks, except the really early ones, you had to buy an adapter and even then it was just text to speech.

I had hoped Amazon would introduce the waterproof feature to mid-level premium model like Voyage. This is way too much more than what I would pay for.

CDX

Finally. I thought the previous Kindle Oasis should've been waterproof too, especially for the price they are charging.

They have 32gb options now too.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
The Kindle has been a go-to gift of mine for relatives since they were small medium & large. I bought one person 3 of them over the years to replace ones they've broken.
I think what would really be nice is a tough book style one. Can be thrown in a bag, sat on, submerged, boiled, burned, ran over, incinerated, all the normal stuff.

Somnid

They also upped the storage and added an adaptive backlight (voyage had this, Oasis didn't). Also seems like they killed the extra battery port so you can't use a charge cover to get months of battery.

Annoys me on the tube when I see people reading in perfect light with their backlights / frontlights on. You're just wasting battery!

Probably doesn't help that these devices don't automatically turn the backlight off when they're not needed... whhhhhyyy?!?

epmode

Woah trade in program? I have a voyage, fill me in

Yeah, I'd like to know about the trade in thing as well.

edit: Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=10825010011

1. Tell us about your old Kindle
Answer a few questions about its condition to receive a trade-in quote. Even non-working devices are eligible.

2. Ship it for free
Print a shipping label and send in your Kindle for free—we'll verify its condition within 7 days.

3. Get paid and buy a new Kindle
Once your device is accepted, an Amazon Gift Card equal to the appraised value of your Kindle plus a $20 bonus towards a new Kindle will be automatically applied to your account.

I have a first gen Voyage in perfect condition. I guess that comes to $65 plus the $20 towards a new one.

Carlisle

Finally all the missing features are in. Water/sand/dust proof for the beach/bathtub/pool, and Audible built in. Dat price doe.

TheContact

there are waterproof smartphones with headphone jacks.

but yeah, it does have bluetooth.

no there AREN'T. There are no "waterproof" smart phones. There are water RESISTANT devices but please find me a smartphone that is 100% waterproof that has a headphone jack. Adding one lowers the IP rating. That's why the new iphones don't have one and that's why this kindle doesn't either.

bionic77

How well has the Kindle sold?

I have bought 3 of them (lost the first OG one, first paper white broke and rocking a paper white from last year).

It is probably my favorite gadget since the iPhone came it. I use it almost every day and it is actually superior to reading a real book because it allows me to carry a ton of books at the same time (which also sync up to my phone if I don't have my Kindle).

Waterproof is going to be huge....

I used to work for a publisher of erotica for women. Their market research showed that their books were most often read in the bathtub....

Annoys me on the tube when I see people reading in perfect light with their backlights / frontlights on. You're just wasting battery!

Probably doesn't help that these devices don't automatically turn the backlight off when they're not needed... whhhhhyyy?!?

They don't use that much battery. The Voyage has an auto light feature.

How well has the Kindle sold?

I have bought 3 of them (lost the first OG one, first paper white broke and rocking a paper white from last year).

It is probably my favorite gadget since the iPhone came it. I use it almost every day and it is actually superior to reading a real book because it allows me to carry a ton of books at the same time (which also sync up to my phone if I don't have my Kindle).

Sales for ereaders are down overall. Most people are happy with one device for many many years.

But Bezos loves them so he will continue to making them.

Does this come with Leather Charging Cover?

It actually doesn't support charging covers, they removed that feature in this model, though it does have a higher capacity battery (6 weeks of battery life by their claim) and supports fast-charging. It has "standing covers" that let you prop the device up, though it doesn't come with one.

bionic77

Sales for ereaders are down overall. Most people are happy with one device for many many years.

But Bezos loves them so he will continue to making them.
I don't have reason to upgrade either until they break because they have pretty much perfected the device.

sangreal

no there AREN'T. There are no "waterproof" smart phones. There are water RESISTANT devices but please find me a smartphone that is 100% waterproof that has a headphone jack. Adding one lowers the IP rating. That's why the new iphones don't have one and that's why this kindle doesn't either.

um, the s8 is IP68 w/ headphone jack. iphone 8 is IP67

(this kindle is also IPx8)

Top Bottom