• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon investigates smart license plates & doorbells to provide more delivery options

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/ama...hrame-and-is-working-on-a-smart-doorbell.html

Amazon has almost perfected speedy delivery to your home. Now the company is working to make sure your packages get inside the front door, or even into your car.

The company is in advanced talks to forge a partnership with Phrame, a maker of smart license plates that allow items to be delivered to a car's trunk, according to a person with knowledge of the potential deal. Phrame's product fits around a license plate and contains a secure box that holds the keys to the car. Users unlock the box with their smartphone, and can grant access to others — such as delivery drivers — remotely.

At the same time, Amazon is developing a smart doorbell device that would give delivery drivers one-time access to a person's home to drop off items, said two people familiar with the matter. The sources asked not to be named because the discussions are confidential.

The new initiatives are part of Amazon's effort to go beyond convenience and fix problems associated with unattended delivery.
As more consumers shop online and have their packages shipped to their homes, valuable items are often left unattended for hours. Web retailers are dealing with products getting damaged by bad weather as well as the rise of so-called porch pirates, who steal items from doorsteps. Amazon also has an incentive to reduce the number of lost packages, as they can be costly.

"Unattended delivery is the least desirable of last-mile fulfillment options as it leaves the package exposed to all kinds of risk," said Natalie Berg, an analyst at Planet Retail RNG. "It's not just the financial cost but also the impact that a failed delivery can have on brand reputation and customer loyalty. Nothing makes shoppers more irate than missing a delivery."

Amazon, UPS and other delivery companies don't disclose data on lost packages. But according to the smart doorbell maker August, 11 million U.S. homeowners had a package stolen in 2016, and a survey by Shorr Packaging showed 31 percent of U.S. shoppers have experienced package theft.

While we didn't get specific details of the potential Phrame partnership or the smart doorbell, both would likely offer a way for delivery people to drop off items using a temporary code. Phrame products could possibly be offered to Prime members for free, making in-trunk delivery available to Amazon's most frequent shoppers, a source said. Another source said the doorbell could be used for grocery delivery. The Financial Times previously reported on a similar product.

Phrame declined to comment for this story. Amazon also declined to comment.

Amazon has sought a number of different options to reduce unattended delivery. Amazon Lockers have opened in more than 2,000 locations to give customers a safe pick-up spot for packages. The company also has a locker service called The Hub for residential apartment buildings.

Most recently, Amazon rolled out "Photo on Delivery," a service that sends a photo of your delivered package to your phone.

Xyc6ZIR.gif

Why would I want a delivery person in my house? Sounds like a horrible idea and a solution in search of a problem.

The way it is now is just fine, thank you. If something large and expensive is coming I'll schedule a delivery window or make sure I'm around.

rjinaz

I deliver Amazon packages for the post office. They don't even ask us to ring the door bell, just drop them off. It would be weird to be walking into people's homes just to deliver a package. They better have their dogs away from the door, damn.

Chichikov

If only there was a solution to this problem...

TT0DNmD.jpg

Sadly, our technology is not advance enough. One could dream though, one could dream...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The license plate thing could be a cool option for Amazon's two hour delivery service. Where I work, there is a company with a kinda similar business model, that you can order to come out and fill your car's gas, which works pretty well. You point out where your car is on a map, set a delivery window, open the gas door, and get gas brought to you.

rjinaz

Nah, I hate package stealers but I'd hate a random delivery person having access to my house even more.

You'd be surprised how many might be fine with it though. It's a little different but I used to be a security alarm respondent and might enter 20 homes a night, mostly the home owners were out of town. A lot of the homes were in very wealthy neighborhoods. I mean I wasn't particularly vetted or anything is my point, like they didn't really know the kind of people they were allowing in their homes but they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I wouldn't do this. Besides the worry of theft or creepiness, I would be worried about pets getting outside or something.

If only there was a solution to this problem...

TT0DNmD.jpg

Sadly, our technology is not advance enough. One could dream though, one could dream...

Literally thought about the same thing while reading the OP.
While privacy is kind of a concern, I think I'd be okay with the idea as long as the delivery person waits like 10 seconds for someone to get the door first. Otherwise, you'd have some awkward situations where the host is in their underwear or something.

What do you guys think will happen? They'll steal something and no one will be able to figure out that the delivery guy, with the GPS tracked vehicle, who is the only person with the one time access door code, is going to be able to get away with it? I can see this being pretty invaluable for people who live in apartments/condo buildings where the delivery guy just needs to leave things inside, without necessarily getting into individual apartments

Opto

Banned
What do you guys think will happen? They'll steal something and no one will be able to figure out that the delivery guy, with the GPS tracked vehicle, who is the only person with the one time access door code, is going to be able to get away with it? I can see this being pretty invaluable for people who live in apartments/condo buildings where the delivery guy just needs to leave things inside, without necessarily getting into individual apartments

I'm already crippled with anxiety about how leaky my security is, both physical and digital. I don't need to open another hole into my life.

rjinaz

Yep, apartments are particularly a problem. If the office isn't opened, and not likely on a Sunday, we just leave them sitting there for anybody to take. I mean I'll ring the doorbell as I walk away but, that's it. Some people might appreciate having this kind of option. But, they could always have their stuff delivered to an Amazon locker if they are that worried. I'm not sure this is the way to go.

Foffy

Banned
How about an Amazon Drop Box?

People using Amazon carrier drones get a drop zone for their packages.

Of course, this demands the removal of human delivery, so that's probably a few steps beyond this.

Eh, it seems like trading risk for risk. The delivery person is just as much of a stranger as the people who might snatch a package off my porch or from my trunk. These introduce a lot of risky variables.

Honestly, it seems like Amazon already has a solution to this through their lockers at convenience stores. If I'm getting something valuable delivered and I can't ensure I'll be home to take it in - having it sent to a secure, monitored lockbox is better than letting a stranger into my house/car. Maybe it's just a Portland thing, but I see them absolutely everywhere.

rjinaz

Eh, it seems like trading risk for risk. The delivery person is just as much of a stranger as the people who might snatch a package off my porch or from my trunk. These introduce a lot of risky variables.

Honestly, it seems like Amazon already has a solution to this through their lockers at convenience stores. If I'm getting something valuable delivered and I can't ensure I'll be home to take it in - having it sent to a secure, monitored lockbox is better than letting a stranger into my house/car. Maybe it's just a Portland thing, but I see them absolutely everywhere.

Well if they made that option post office exclusive at the very least you'd have a government employee. But that doesn't seem likely, UPS is a big player with Amazon deliveries as well.

I'm not letting someone into my house if I'm not there. I don't care how well-tracked and monitored they are.

Madness

Yes? It happens all the time. Them getting caught and fired means what if they steal a family heirloom, jewlery etc. Do you know how hard it is with he said/she said. Right now a lot of delivery drivers, hotel cleaners, mail clerks get fired daily for theft, some are never caught or prosecuted etc.

rjinaz

Yes? It happens all the time. Them getting caught and fired means what if they steal a family heirloom, jewlery etc. Do you know how hard it is with he said/she said. Right now a lot of delivery drivers, hotel cleaners, mail clerks get fired daily for theft, some are never caught or prosecuted etc.

That's fair about heirlooms and other irreplaceable items, but I know the security company I worked for had insurance and would cover theft claims, and they did pay out after the employee was fired. I'd guess Amazon would go that route.

But, since it was a security system they knew who was in the house at any time because of the code that had to be inputted by anybody that entered so it is different.

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea and they should think of something else.

Psyae

Boy, I don't even trust Amazon Logistics drivers to deliver my packages in time, like hell I'll trust them in my house.

I've had at least 3 issues this year with packages not being delivered on time or ultimately being lost by Amazon Logistics, and Amazon entering a new space before they perfect their current services makes me extremely skeptical.

I'm assuming if Amazon was giving the person the power to come into your house they would hold them to a much stricter standard than the average deliveryman who only drops things off outside. And, like I said, I can see this primarily being used for shared buildings not necessarily individual homes

Somnid

The real problem is apartments. It's an immense problem getting packages when there's an access controlled building, especially for the freelancers who would not be given a key. Not to mention the sheer amount of package traffic some apartment buildings can get. It would be low hanging fruit to directly incentivize apartment communities to get Amazon lockers. This feels like more of a prestige goal.

HereticJ

They could easily scope out the inside of your home including where any valuables would be located, any visible cameras, what kind of alarm systems might be used and could just tell someone who they know who is a thief all that valuable information. Unless the thief is caught and flips, the delivery guy won't ever get caught. it's not exactly common but if people just let amazon delivery people into their house day in, day out, it's certainly more likely than it is now.

I'm assuming if Amazon was giving the person the power to come into your house they would hold them to a much stricter standard than the average deliveryman who only drops things off outside. And, like I said, I can see this primarily being used for shared buildings not necessarily individual homes

I can't blame people for doubting Amazon's employee vetting process. They should have 'strict standards' for the people delivering high-ticket items - but those get nicked constantly.

rjinaz

The real problem is apartments. It's an immense problem getting packages when there's an access controlled building, especially for the freelancers who would not be given a key. Not to mention the sheer amount of package traffic some apartment buildings can get. It would be low hanging fruit to directly incentivize apartment communities to get Amazon lockers. This feels like more of a prestige goal.

Yes please. The other day I had just 10 packages for one complex but it took me 45 minutes to deliver them because of having to drive around, find the unit numbers, climb sets of stairs. I can usually deliver 25 packages or more to homes in that amount of time.

Geist-

In a world of increasingly sophisticated hackers, you want me to install a system that remotely unlocks my car or front door through the internet? Not a fucking chance.

In a world of increasingly sophisticated hackers, you want me to install a system that remotely unlocks my car or front door through the internet? Not a fucking chance.
It really is some cyberpunk/dystopian sci-fi level of ballsiness

"To the great joy of corporations, for want of convenience, security and privacy was lost"

Well, more security and privacy.

Somnid

Wait until you find out how easy it is the "hack" your analog door lock. But just the same way it's good enough because the average person is not a trained lockpicker.

Opto

Banned
hacked your house. Unlocked your door, squeezed all your juice, turned up your heat in the summer and made your smart fridge think it was empty so now you just got charged for a bulk grocery delivery.

rc213

Why make it so hard, Just put a rule that anything that is expensive requires you to schedule a window for delivery.

Future

Smart locks exist now that allow exactly this.

Tesla’s unlock via phone app.

‘‘Tis the future

Lucreto

Not in a million years.

Wouldn't it be far easier and cheaper to have a special mailbox big enough to hold small or medium packages outside your house.

You have a key and the delivery driver has a master key.

smurfx

get some go again
hahaha surely this won't get hacked and allow people to rob people's homes easily. i mean they found a way to steal automobiles but no way they will be able to hack these smart license plates and doorbells.

Top Bottom