• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon just launched a new $50 Kindle Fire Tablet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Amazon

61tpxOYuK4L._SL1000_.jpg

feature-entertain.jpg

Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black

$49.99

Micro SD Card Slot

Can play games such as Monument Valley, Minecraft Pocket Edition, and Hearthstone. If you need a cheap tablet this might be the time.

For $50 this looks great. Hopefully has a more normal Android UI and not the horrible crap Fire UI from the past Kindle Fire tablets. my Nexus 7 (2013) is starting to show its age and I'm hoping to pick up a new 7 - 9" tablet... Not sure if this is the one though.

Wow, they really scaled backed FireOS to look more like traditional Android. They're even using the stock software buttons. This is a good thing, of course, because FireOS looked terrible before this.

ouch the specs are painfully bad. You can find chinese tablets that have better specs than that at a similar price.

1024x600 Resolution Display (Sub 720p!)
Probably a snapdragon 400 1.3Ghz (bottom of the barrel CPU)
1GB of Ram

If the OS is still the same that their other tablets use it will make this tablet a laggy mess.

dat big res screen

for 70 euro i can buy a lenovo tablet with a better and bigger screen. And i can use google apps and google play. So uh, it's a bad deal, especially in europe.

PSYGN

ouch the specs are painfully bad. You can find chinese tablets that have better specs than that at a similar price.

1GB of Ram

If the OS is still the same that their other tablets use it will make this tablet a laggy mess.

As long as the quality is consistent I don't think most people will mind given the price point.

Hasney

1GB of Ram

Yeah, I felt ripped off on the HDX 7 at £99 until someone finally managed to unlock the bootloader. Got CM12 on there now and I actually like using it.

That Amazon Fire tablet interface is not good at all.

Hmmm, so they refreshed their entire tablet lineup. It seems they went for cheaper everything this time as the specs don't seem great on any of them. The display resolutions especially are terrible.

DESTROYA

I can see this being a hit with parents to give to there young kids but other than that there is nothing to be excited about this tablet other than it being so cheap.

Ultra-bargain basement stuff...but so cheap, it doesn't matter.

I'd never buy these, even just to play games and be rough on - but these are going to sell crazy at least this Christmas since most people don't know any better re: specs.

Vanillalite

As long as the quality is consistent I don't think most people will mind given the price point.

Exactly. No the specs aren't great. It's $50 though. That's cheap as fuck while not being some random off brand Chinese tablet that people don't know.

I can see this being a hit with parents to give to there young kids but other than that there is nothing to be excited about this tablet other than it being so cheap.

That's the point at least in the US. Seems like Euro GAF got the shaft pricing wise, but $50 is cheap as fuck in the US.

That screen lol. For the Euro price that is not worth it. But honestly I've never even seen anyone use an Amazon device. I think they mostly focus on the American market anyway, 50 dollars is a bit more reasonable.

Bloody hell - Tesco's Hudl looks better than that at first glance, and you can grab one of them in as-new condition for about £40 (grabbed one for our eldest). Of course, the Hudl has a fucking shit charging port that appears to be attached with chewing-gum, so...

Stitch

Gold Member
dat big res screen

for 70 euro i can buy a lenovo tablet with a better and bigger screen. And i can use google apps and google play. So uh, it's a bad deal, especially in europe.

Yeah something like the Lenovo Tab A7-50 is a better deal

tim.mbp

Trogdor1123

Looks great for kids, people need to remember that this is cheaper than a game lol. I wouldn't compare this to a Chinese tablet, those are often dodgey and warranty work is iffy at best.

Some more details would be nice though.

That tablet is the very definition of cheap, in both, price and specs. Might get one for my mother though, for surfing, Facebook and some stupid joke videos, it should be more than enough.

And those complain about the € price ... are we still not used to $ = € conversions? Literally everyone does this shit....
Also, the € isn't as strong as some years ago, instead on ~1.30 $ to 1 €, it's ~1.13 $ to 1 € now ... so it's just about 6 € too much.

That tablet is the very definition of cheap, in both, price and specs. Might get one for my mother though, for surfing, Facebook and some stupid joke videos, it should be more than enough.

And those complain about the € price ... are we still not used to $ = € conversions? Literally everyone does this shit....
Also, the € isn't as strong as some years ago, instead on ~1.30 $ to 1 €, it's ~1.13 $ to 1 € now ... so it's just about 6 € too much.

The thing is, it does matter more with some things than the others, because at least in some areas physical resellers simply go GMG on their cut and the effective price is alright. However, this obviously doesn't apply to monopolies, such as console online marketplaces... and Amazon hardware.

El Topo

$50, if we assume a 20% VAT, we get $60 as the final price
€60, if we assume a conversion 1:1.13 we get ~$67.8 as the final price
€50, if we assume a conversion 1:1.13 we would have ~$56.5 as the final price

Obviously there are certain regulations, e.g. regarding the warranty, that may factor into this, although that makes you wonder about the pricing of their Kids Edition (or other products). At the end of the day, they're selling it at a price they think will work out for them. You can like that or you can dislike it. I don't think this tablet is priced particularly unfairly in Europe, except for UK.

It's silly how cheap tablets can get now and have the performance to do things, only a few years back a budget badly made tablet was over £100.

My father owns the fire 7 from last year, it's not a bad tablet at all and it's powerful enough to run the android dreamcast emulator at a good framerate.

Somnid

Putting it in a takeout bag is certainly something. We're on the verge of disposable computing with this thing.

Honestly though the bigger models aren't that great of a deal, they cheaped out so much with the screen/SoC (but apparently not the wireless chip or DSP?). A bit disappointed the HDX doesn't have a successor but very happy they've embraced SD cards.

$50, if we assume a 20% VAT, we get $60 as the final price
€60, if we assume a conversion 1:1.13 we get ~$67.8 as the final price
€50, if we assume a conversion 1:1.13 we would have ~$56.5 as the final price

Obviously there are certain regulations, e.g. regarding the warranty, that may factor into this, although that makes you wonder about the pricing of their Kids Edition (or other products). At the end of the day, they're selling it at a price they think will work out for them. You can like that or you can dislike it.
I have no idea about the VAT rules in the states, so i really can't talk about it. ^^

Since my mum is totally fine with those "special offers" errr i mean ads, i just know that i got a tablet for cheap that should be decent for what it will be used ... surfing and Facebook. So, no complaints here about the price. ^^

Vanillalite

Putting it in a takeout bag is certainly something. We're on the verge of disposable computing with this thing.

Honestly though the bigger models aren't that great of a deal, they cheaped out so much with the screen/SoC (but apparently not the wireless chip or DSP?). A bit disappointed the HDX doesn't have a successor but very happy they've embraced SD cards.

Imagine in a couple years if the price got down to like $30 or less. Fucking INSANE.

I have no idea about the VAT rules in the states, so i really can't talk about it. ^^

Since my mum is totally fine with those "special offers" errr i mean ads, i just know that i got a tablet for cheap that should be decent for what it will be used ... surfing and Facebook. So, no complaints here about the price. ^^

VAT doesn't exist in the US which is partly why it's not wise to compare pricing between regions.

El Topo

Me neither, but I would assume 20% is a reasonable worst case. Hey, none of us can actually judge the pricing or whether it is fair. You'd have to take into account e.g. the economic situation, what a fair price actually is etc. At the end of the day, what matters (for them) is if it sells and (for us) if we are willing to pay it. It's a cheap tablet, there's much worse things than a slight price difference.

my only complaint is that the screen is 1024x600, my brother had an android tablet with a screen of that res before and it's not that great to look at close up, also means when you watch HD content it's going to be scaled a bit.

Maybe in the next revision they can get that 1280x800 into the cheap model.

Top Bottom