• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't see the point of a higher resolution screen when Amazon fails at fonts.

Never heard this complaint before. Do you want more font options? Ability to use custom fonts?

We've been reading books for thousands of years with no font choices at all until very recently, so for me it's not even a big issue... but it's somewhere they could improve.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We've been reading books for thousands of years with no font choices at all
Huh? Every book doesn't use the same font. I'll just paste a review:

I can’t ever recall seeing a novel printed using a slab serif typeface; on the Kindle, that’s all most users ever see. I believe the Kindle Paperwhite display is capable of rendering truly beautiful typography, but that would require fonts that were chosen or designed with the limitations of e-ink in mind, along with improvements to the font rendering algorithm. The typography in centuries-old books was often beautiful, despite printing technology that was crude by today’s standards. This was possible because the hot metal type was designed with those limitations — ink bleed, to name one major factor — in mind.

Another typographic boner: the Kindle still lacks hyphenation but yet insists upon full-justified text. Full justification without hyphenation inevitably results in unsightly gaps between words on a few lines each page. Any layout engine that doesn’t do hyphenation should default to ragged-right justification — but a dedicated e-reader in 2012 has no excuse for not including a good auto-hyphenation algorithm. Good typographic layout is hard, no argument, but that’s the only thing an e-reader is meant to do. Typographic layout and font rendering are the Kindle’s equivalents to audio fidelity from an iPod — there’s no excuse for it to be less than good, and it ought to be downright excellent.

LOL. C'mon now.
???

Publisher's can embed fonts in their ebooks. I also believe it's fairly easy to side load your own. I did it on my Kindle 2 with no problem. I have no desire to on my PW. Very happy with the choices on it.

And Amazon claims they fine tune the fonts for their screen.

Socreges

Banned
Should be getting my Kindle Paperwhite soon, possibly tonight. Pretty excited as I'll finally be able to read in bed without upsetting the lady who sleeps next to me.

....also just nice to have a new piece of tech.....

(new to me)

So, the imminent arrival has inspired me to take a look, again, at the different ways that the Kindle can be used. One thing I looked into previously was 'pushing' articles to my Kindle each day. Does anyone here do anything like that? Any recommendations? I checked out the OP but Hiro, understandably, hasn't updated it in a couple years and I'd be surprised if most of it was still applicable.

Ultimately would be pretty nice to effortlessly be able to read different articles on my Kindle....

I use instapaper. It sends me a bulk of approx. ten articles that I marked as "Read later" in my browser to my kindle email address every now and then. Works like a charm and I have something different apart from books.

Also, you can program Calibre to download (full) RSS feeds from major news sites and mail it to you - like a normal morning newspaper. Works also fine as well as Calibre has a huge variety of newspapers and magazine sites on board. Just click and select and the rest happens automatically.

Maybe I should mention that I have the Kindle Keyboard. Don't know how it works with the Paperwhite of Voyage one's.

Socreges

Banned
I use instapaper. It sends me a bulk of approx. ten articles that I marked as "Read later" in my browser to my kindle email address every now and then. Works like a charm and I have something different apart from books.

Also, you can program Calibre to download (full) RSS feeds from major news sites and mail it to you - like a normal morning newspaper. Works also fine as well as Calibre has a huge variety of newspapers and magazine sites on board. Just click and select and the rest happens automatically.

Maybe I should mention that I have the Kindle Keyboard. Don't know how it works with the Paperwhite of Voyage one's.
Awesome, thanks

I'll check out Instapaper for sure.

Does Calibre push the articles to you each day? Or do you need to go on Calibre each time you want new articles sent?

Calibre actually is a computer program and IMO the best ebook library manager. One of its functionalities is the news feed. So, yes, you have to have Calibre running.

Socreges

Banned
Calibre actually is a computer program and IMO the best ebook library manager. One of its functionalities is the news feed. So, yes, you have to have Calibre running.
That's what I figured. I do use Calibre already and was aware of its RSS feature - hoped somehow it could push without being on. Oh well

Instapaper it is, I guess

Oops, misunderstood that part. ;)

There might be a possibility if you have a NAS. People managed to install and run Calibre on a network storage. This way you could have news pushed to the kindle. I looked briefly into it and it was a lot of scripts and GUI-less stuff to deal with.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, sounds beyond my limited technical prowess ;)

I know there used to be, and possibly still is, a website that collates your RSS feeds and sends stuff each morning. I think that was a pay site, though

So question, I ordered a Fire for my 8yo but had it shipped with my Prime account.

How hard/complicated it the process of child locking? I want to give it to him for Christmas but don't want to take it away to set it up. I was thinking of opening it before hand, since I think its already "opened" since they attached it to my Prime account(right?).

Also, whats the best locking software? I hear Amazon has Free Time, but I also heard it reskins the UI? I want him to have the regular experience but just limit how long he can do certain things for each day.

Benedict

I'm thinking of buying Tolkiens Lord of The Ring One Volume and wondered if it's a good version? It costs $5.

I've only read the books in Swedish and would try and get some time to read them in English, as it was written in that language. The reviews on amazon can't be trusted since they seem to include reviews mostly of printed books, and not the Kindle version.

Also wonder the same about The Hobbit. $2.79
Have the books been cheaper?

Rootbeer

Banned
No those are both amazing prices and you are unlikely to find them cheaper on Kindle in the future.

I usually don't like book compendiums on Kindle but LotR is one area where I'd allow it since it works so well as a single volume.

The first copy I owned of LotR was a paperback one volume edition and I loved it.

Course, I think having it as 3 volumes is better but it's not that important in digital form.

I'm thinking of buying Tolkiens Lord of The Ring One Volume and wondered if it's a good version? It costs $5.

I've only read the books in Swedish and would try and get some time to read them in English, as it was written in that language. The reviews on amazon can't be trusted since they seem to include reviews mostly of printed books, and not the Kindle version.

I gave the linked version a download via Kindle Unlimited and the book looks top shape to me. The graphics are kind of hard to see, but the text looks great and free of errors.

If you buy it, prepare to let your Kindle index the book. That might take a few minutes of sluggish UI.

wilflare

those are pretty awesome prices. maybe I should get them

Benedict

I gave the linked version a download via Kindle Unlimited and the book looks top shape to me. The graphics are kind of hard to see, but the text looks great and free of errors.

If you buy it, prepare to let your Kindle index the book. That might take a few minutes of sluggish UI.

Bought both Hobbit and lotr.
Thanks for all the input.

How do I index the book?

Bought both Hobbit and lotr.
Thanks for all the input.

How do I index the book?

Your Kindle automatically indexes a book when you add it to the device. It just slows down your Kindle for up to a few minutes. The sluggishness will disappear eventually. Multiple books at once will naturally prolong the sluggishness.

Thanks, bought both.

Spinluck

Is the $119 Paperwhite good for a Kindle newb?

I think I am ready to embrace our digital book overlords, but I don't which model to buy for myself. Don't need anything with 3G, my phone has hotspot.

Would that be the $79 one?

EDIT: Nvm, I don't know what I'm saying. If the ads get too annoying, I'd probably pay the fee.

I think what they're saying (and I agree) is:

Don't bother with getting the ad-free Kindles - you can ditch the ads later, and

Don't bother with getting 3G for your Kindle - it's cool but the price difference doesn't justify the cost. (You already said this, but repeated advice is helpful in these threads)

Now whether you want a basic Kindle versus a Paperwhite is up to you. The basic is slightly bigger by just a few millimeters, but it's lighter and feels sturdier. The Paperwhite's screen is markedly better - it's higher res and front-lit. Either is a fine choice. I like them both.

Rootbeer

Banned
3G is a total waste, most of us have WiFi at home, work, many public places like cafes and sometimes even on public transit or in your car. Oh, and then there's tethering to your phone on top of that. You'd almost have to go out of your way to use the 3G since you mostly download reading material in-between trips from A to B in the first place.

Spinluck

I think what they're saying (and I agree) is:

Don't bother with getting the ad-free Kindles - you can ditch the ads later, and

Don't bother with getting 3G for your Kindle - it's cool but the price difference doesn't justify the cost. (You already said this, but repeated advice is helpful in these threads)

Now whether you want a basic Kindle versus a Paperwhite is up to you. The basic is slightly bigger by just a few millimeters, but it's lighter and feels sturdier. The Paperwhite's screen is markedly better - it's higher res and front-lit. Either is a fine choice. I like them both.

Thanks for this fine post. I appreciate the help guys, Paperwhite it is!

Just got my ad-free Voyage as a Christmas gift. I already loved using my old pre-Paperwhite touch but this feels like a massive upgrade. I loved that I could grab stuff that was on my old device and that it kept my spot, etc. Just ordered the Origami case as I often end up propping up the Kindle with something when I'm at a cafe or out reading.

DagsJT

I've had my Voyage for a week or so now and it's ... good.

Coming from a Paperwhite 1, it's not as noticeable an upgrade as I'd hope it to be considering the price.

The display is very nice and I prefer the lightness of the device. The auto brightness is very good too.

But for £169? I wouldn't recommend it and I'd suggest a Paperwhite 2 as I'm not sure the improvements warrant such a big difference in price.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've had my Voyage for a week or so now and it's ... good.

Coming from a Paperwhite 1, it's not as noticeable an upgrade as I'd hope it to be considering the price.

The display is very nice and I prefer the lightness of the device. The auto brightness is very good too.

But for £169? I wouldn't recommend it and I'd suggest a Paperwhite 2 as I'm not sure the improvements warrant such a big difference in price.
I'm glad I upgraded from my PW1, but I don't disagree. The much higher price this time around doesn't make it the impulse upgrade that it would be if they'd kept the $100 or $120 price. $200 makes it a bit more of a decision to make.

I do feel that anyone who is serious about reading on an e-paper device and either doesn't own a kindle or owns one older than a PW1 should seriously consider the Voyage. It is faster, better screen, better backlight, more storage, better form factor... lots of decent improvements just nothing groundbreaking.

Benedict

I'm quite happy upgrading from Basic Kindle to PW2, even though I had my eyes set on Voyage first.
But in the end it was way to expensive too import it to Sweden.
Too bad they restricted the active contents some on PW2, but at the same time, they are completely missing on Voyage.

Peru

I had a Kindle, the simplest model, bought a few years ago. Screen cracked. Got a new Paperwhite for xmas and after not using it once, only opening it and putting it back in the box for transport back home, screen cracked and even though it was a small crack it was very noticeable when the backlight was on. So I contacted Amazon through chat and the kind gentleman on the other side explained that it was not covered by warranty but he'd still send me a free replacement. Great service, but man am I buying a protective case before even opening it this time.

DagsJT

Back to Paperwhite for me. My first Voyage had a yellow tint so ordered a replacement which is exactly the same.

For a £169 device, I'd expect the screen to be perfect so I'm returning the Voyage and will get a PW2 until the Voyage 2 is released.

Anyone know how to make a new Kindle the main device files get sent to? When I email files to my Kindle address they go to my old one and to the cloud. I can still fetch them on my new Voyage but it's an extra step I'd like to skip.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't use that method of transfer but try this

go to amazon.com and go to "Your Account"

Under Digital Content go to "Manage my Content and Devices"

you can set a Kindle as your default

every device has its own unique e-mail address that you use to send items to it, too

I don't use that method of transfer but try this

go to amazon.com and go to "Your Account"

Under Digital Content go to "Manage my Content and Devices"

you can set a Kindle as your default

every device has its own unique e-mail address that you use to send items to it, too

Ah, ok, awesome thanks!

Peru

I had a Kindle, the simplest model, bought a few years ago. Screen cracked. Got a new Paperwhite for xmas and after not using it once, only opening it and putting it back in the box for transport back home, screen cracked and even though it was a small crack it was very noticeable when the backlight was on. So I contacted Amazon through chat and the kind gentleman on the other side explained that it was not covered by warranty but he'd still send me a free replacement. Great service, but man am I buying a protective case before even opening it this time.

lol, no case needed as the replacement device was malfunctioning straight out of the box. Maybe a refurbished one? In any case now I'm waiting for my third kindle paperwhite and I have to ship two back.

ngower

I'm looking into buying a Paperwhite with this financing plan plus Valentine's Day deal Amazon's currently running. Are there any (affordable...?) leather or wood cases for the Paperwhite that anyone here recommends?

Salaadin

Is the Voyage Origami case really worth the money? I'm not crazy about the look of it.

Any other recommendations? I do prefer higher quality cases

Rootbeer

Banned
i wasn't fond of the look either... so I skipped it.

for now i'm caseless. both of my regular daybags have slots for 'tablets' and i just put my kindle in there. no problems, and it reduces the bulk i carry around.

flyover

Crap, I thought it was a sale. Put it in my cart and it jumped back up to $200. Damn.

Hope that those of you who got an order through really get it at that price!

Top Bottom