• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Nymerio

Mine is doing the same. The book I'm reading If I go back to the home screen sits back on page 3 of my list of titles, and the bloody user guide sits up top.

Oh yeah, I've had the guide randomly pop up as well. Would be cool if you'd get a little message if a book where you reported errors gets updated.

kharma45

On the user guide point, I tried connecting to WiFi to see if that was the issue but my device refuses to let me remove it and won't sort my books by what I've recently read

UPzk8Yu.jpg

7mqPFhz.jpg

Kobo are actualy releasing a Kindle Voyage rival: Kobo Glo HD. 6 inch e-ink Carta screen with a resolution of 1448×1072 and 300 PPI + 4GB storage for $129.99 CAD/USD (MSRP)

MSRP for Australia - $179.99 AUD; New Zealand - $219.99 NZD; UK - £109.99; EU - €129.99.

http://cafe.kobo.com/press/releases...ighest-resolution-ereader-at-the-lowest-price

http://www.gizmag.com/kobo-glo-hd-e-reader-details/36890/

Now lets see if amazon does a price drop on the Voyage.

I think Kobo has always had better e-readers. I am just too addicted to Amazon's easy ecosystem to switch. :(

7mqPFhz.jpg

Kobo are actualy releasing a Kindle Voyage rival: Kobo Glo HD. 6 inch e-ink Carta screen with a resolution of 1448×1072 and 300 PPI + 4GB storage for $129.99 CAD/USD (MSRP)

MSRP for Australia - $179.99 AUD; New Zealand - $219.99 NZD; UK - £109.99; EU - €129.99.

http://cafe.kobo.com/press/releases...ighest-resolution-ereader-at-the-lowest-price

http://www.gizmag.com/kobo-glo-hd-e-reader-details/36890/

Now lets see if amazon does a price drop on the Voyage.

If they made a waterproof version of this exact model, I'd buy it. But that's only because I can easily convert my books from mobi to epub without a lot of fuss.

I've considered swapping to Kobo before but could never really justify doing it. Kindles tend to be lighter, which matters the most to me.

I have a question for anyone who has the official Amazon leather Smart Cover for the Kindle Paperwhite. If you fold the flap behind the device, will the magnet turn it off? I have a third party cover and I have to fold it a certain way to avoid this. Was thinking about getting the official cover but I wanted to know if they had the same problem.

What's a good selling price for a used (great condition) Kobo Glo with Sleep cover ($50 value)

I want to upgrade to Kobo Glo HD or Aura HD...or maybe even the Paperwhite (though I prefer Kobo's openness, stat tracking, and UI layout).

I need to sell my ereader first, but I'm not sure what's a fair price to ask as I havent kept up with the market.

O.DOGG

I'd love to get a voyage but I feel there's another right around the corner.

There's been a new model every Fall since 2010, so you're probably right. If you can afford it though, I'd say go for it now. It's the best ebook reader right now period. And there will always be a new one around the corner.

If they made a waterproof version of this exact model, I'd buy it. But that's only because I can easily convert my books from mobi to epub without a lot of fuss.

I've considered swapping to Kobo before but could never really justify doing it. Kindles tend to be lighter, which matters the most to me.

i still don't know why there aren't waterproof/resistant e-readers.

overcast

Are most of you guys okay with the special offers? I would like to save the 20 dollars if possible. Of course if the ads are unbearable I have no trouble dropping the extra cash.

flyover

Are most of you guys okay with the special offers? I would like to save the 20 dollars if possible. Of course if the ads are unbearable I have no trouble dropping the extra cash.
They only run when you're not reading anything. Go ahead and save your 20 bucks!

n64coder

They'll also stop showing up after a few weeks if you keep your Kindle in airplane mode. I was doing that for a year but then I recently put it back on Wifi since I got a subscription to Boston Globe & New Yorker.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I ordered mine today, not a hardcore reader. But want to start reading. 120$ isn't too bad.

Jake.

i was just given a kindle (it's the basic/cheapest one i think)...is there anyway i can set up an account on it without putting credit card info in? just wanted to try downloading a few free books first, but even the ones listed as $0 ask for cc info.

hythloday

i was just given a kindle (it's the basic/cheapest one i think)...is there anyway i can set up an account on it without putting credit card info in? just wanted to try downloading a few free books first, but even the ones listed as $0 ask for cc info.

I am not sure you can. You might try using one of those prepaid visa gift cards but I am not sure it would work. Amazon uses the credit card number as your "ID" to make the downloaded copy of the book yours. Most (?) kindle books have DRM so you can't distribute the books.

Kinokou

Maybe you could try getting public domain books of other sources to begin with? You have to transfer them via cable, but it could be a possible work around if you just want to see if you enjoy reading on the kindle.

I'm pretty sure you can!

yyzjohn

Banned
Going to see a cousin in LA this summer, ordered my kindle voyage to be delivered there. Tired of waiting for it to launch in Canada.

SiDCrAzY

Been enjoying my Kindle Voyage for a couple of days now. Lovely reader, my favorite out of the three I've owned. (PW 2 and Kobo Aura HD were the other two)

Joe

Does anyone have Kindle Unlimited? I'm wondering if it's worth it or not? Seems to be a lot of self published material and not much mainstream stuff.

Letep

I bought a Kindle Voyage, which arrived yesterday. It's a really nice device. I noticed a dead pixel as soon as I turned it on, so that's annoying, and the haptic feedback is hit or miss so far. Not sure if it's just that I'm not hitting the sweet spot, or it's defective. Anyone else have this issue?

I bought a Kindle Voyage, which arrived yesterday. It's a really nice device. I noticed a dead pixel as soon as I turned it on, so that's annoying, and the haptic feedback is hit or miss so far. Not sure if it's just that I'm not hitting the sweet spot, or it's defective. Anyone else have this issue?

I could never get the Voyage to feel comfortable in my hands. The haptic feedback button seemed to be unreliable. I miss physical buttons. :(

SiDCrAzY

It has been okay for me so far, though I do think I'd prefer actual buttons instead. Have you tried messing with the sensitivity settings on the Kindle? That helped me a bit as far as it being more hit than miss after I upped the sensitivity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Thinking about getting a Paperwhite over the Voyage. I can't see myself being so lazy that I can't just adjust the brightness on my own and I don't care about the page turn buttons. Would I be missing out on anything else? Is the Voyage's 300 ppi screen that much better than the Paperwhite's?

Thinking about getting a Paperwhite over the Voyage. I can't see myself being so lazy that I can't just adjust the brightness on my own and I don't care about the page turn buttons. Would I be missing out on anything else? Is the Voyage's 300 ppi screen that much better than the Paperwhite's?

It's at least as big a jump from the regular to the Paperwhite as it is from Paperwhite to Voyage. I think all models are very readable. But the only way to know for sure is to see them in person.

I definitely plan on upgrading my PW1 to a V2 (or equivalent).

Rootbeer

Banned
Voyage Screen was like night and day from my PW1. Never owned a PW2.

As expensive as the Voyage was though, I highly doubt Amazon can tempt me to get a Voyage 2 unless it's a much bigger jump than PW2 -> Voyage was.

I'm not sure what they could really do at this point to improve it as a reading device. Short of adding color, which would be great for book covers, illustrations and possibly comics as well.

I think color is a dead dream at this point. The prototypes don't seem to be progressing that well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's at least as big a jump from the regular to the Paperwhite as it is from Paperwhite to Voyage. I think all models are very readable. But the only way to know for sure is to see them in person.

How do I tell if I'm buying a PW1 or a PW2? Is the PW2 the only one Amazon is selling right now?

I'm not sure what they could really do at this point to improve it as a reading device. Short of adding color, which would be great for book covers, illustrations and possibly comics as well.

Minus the page turn buttons, that's what everyone was saying about the Paperwhite and then

Voyage Screen was like night and day from my PW1.

the Voyage happened.

I definitely plan on upgrading my PW1 to a V2 (or equivalent).

Oddly I cannot seem to tell the difference between the current Paperwhite and the Voyage, even after comparing them side by side.

Going to see a cousin in LA this summer, ordered my kindle voyage to be delivered there. Tired of waiting for it to launch in Canada.

Wait, it hasn't launched there? If that's the case I doubt we will see a refresh this year. I may just bite the bullet then... hrm.

n64coder

How do I tell if I'm buying a PW1 or a PW2? Is the PW2 the only one Amazon is selling right now?

As someone else mentioned, PW2 is the only being sold now. If you were buying a used one, the 1st generation PW has "Kindle" on the back and second generation has Amazon instead. You can also tell by serial numbers.

Top Bottom