• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah we got a bump in resolution and doubled RAM from PW2 to PW3. This is 100% the PW model refresh for the year.

I am curious what they do with the Voyager to further make it the high-end model. Because as it stands now the PW3 now matches it in RAM and PPI.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah we got a bump in resolution and doubled RAM from PW2 to PW3. This is 100% the PW model refresh for the year.

I am curious what they do with the Voyager to further make it the high-end model. Because as it stands now the PW3 now matches it in RAM and PPI.

The buttons are real nice on the Voyage...but not extra cost nice.

Futureman

this photo on Amazon's main page is weird.... ugly lens flare thing and on the left there's some girl hiding behind the pillar looking at the camera.

pw.jpg

PW2 had a faster processor (25% faster processor, bumped to 1 GHz), too, and eventually more storage (from 2GB to 4GB). Edit: It was the original PW that saw the bump to 4GB.

The PW3 is a pretty huge upgrade from a PW1. I'll still wait to see what they do with the Voyage this year, but the new Paperwhite may be all I need in an ereader.

Yes, the processor was what I meant by "slightly faster."

I'm not sure the jump from the PW1 to the PW3 is that huge. I jump between a basic Kindle 4 to the PW2 all the time and the PW2 is definitely nicer but my daily experience not hugely different in my opinion. I'm glad they keep backporting their software; if they didn't I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Nymerio

I bit the bullet and ordered the Voyage. My kindle 4 has lasted me almost 4 years so I figure a premium Kindle should last me a long time as long as I take care of it.

The Paperwhite just got a new model this week. They won't upgrade it twice in one year. The improved PPI is a pretty solid upgrade.

What we got is the 2015 model Paperwhite. The external design is even slightly different than the 2014 Paperwhite, the logo was changed a bit on the front and back.

Hell, this update is bigger than the gen 2 Paperwhite was to gen 1 Paperwhite.

Looks like I won't be updating this year then. I'm actually really happy with my PW1 anyway and without some substatial improvements I don't feel like updating.

Cheebo

Banned
Looks like I won't be updating this year then. I'm actually really happy with my PW1 anyway and without some substatial improvements I don't feel like updating.

Honestly the PPI is very substantial. Try looking at Voyager screen then going back to PW 1/2. It's rather drastic in actual use.

There really won't be anything more significant than that any time soon.

Nymerio

I'd really like to compare, but I don't know of any store around here that sells Kindles. I don't think I'd even need more PPI in an upgrade. I'm looking more for software improvements. Like better goodreads integration (or just anything goodreads because it's still not available where I live) where it syncs stuff like how far along I am in a book.

Joe

Paperwhite is on sale for $110 at Best Buy and Amazon, picked one up at BB because I had a movers coupon and got it for $100. It's bad ass, such a nice upgrade from the Kindle Keyboard + clip-on light.

chiQ

I've got a PW1, and my dad is getting me a Voyage for my birthday this year. It will be interesting to compare them. The PW is awesome. I had a Touch before and the speed difference was phenomenal between them.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, if they don't update the Voyage this year (which some are speculating about), at least I can rest assured that it's as good (better, in several ways) than the PW3... which it damn well better be considering I paid the premium price for it. :)

It's a wonderful device. I still think anyone looking for a new kindle should also consider the voyage. I would not be surprised if they do a price drop on it in the coming weeks though. Now that it's closer to the PW3 in terms of features, it could afford to come down a little to make it more attractive.

Well, if they don't update the Voyage this year (which some are speculating about), at least I can rest assured that it's as good (better, in several ways) than the PW3... which it damn well better be considering I paid the premium price for it. :)

It's a wonderful device. I still think anyone looking for a new kindle should also consider the voyage. I would not be surprised if they do a price drop on it in the coming weeks though. Now that it's closer to the PW3 in terms of features, it could afford to come down a little to make it more attractive.

What's better about it besides the buttons?

Not sure what they could upgrade at this point.

If the Voyage is the Rolls Royce of the Kindle line, then there are a few things they can still do. They could reintegrate audio capabilities. A lot of people miss having the ability to have audiobooks on their Kindle and text-to-speech. And of course there is the possibility of a larger screen. Kobo has a 7" reader, for example.

If Amazon did those 2 things and kept the current price of the Voyage, I think there would be a better case for paying more.

How can I transfer stuff from one kindle to another? I used calibre to side load some stuff and don't want to lose my place.

Does the voyage have a good cover that's similar to the paper white cover?

How can I transfer stuff from one kindle to another? I used calibre to side load some stuff and don't want to lose my place.

Does the voyage have a good cover that's similar to the paper white cover?

Connect the Kindle via USB. For each book you sideloaded, copy both the book and the extra files or folders.

Not sure about the case though.

mid83

I wonder if the higher res is worth upgrading from my 1st gen Paperwhite. It's pretty tempting at $120 vs the $200 for the Voyage.

kharma45

I wonder if the higher res is worth upgrading from my 1st gen Paperwhite. It's pretty tempting at $120 vs the $200 for the Voyage.

Going from a PW1 to a Voyage I wouldn't bother. If I hadn't lost my kindle I'd have just stuck with the PW1 until it died. The leap isn't really worth it imo.

Got the new paper white... dust under the screen. Just like with my paperwhite 1. Last time this happened it took 5 damn kindles to get it right. Not even starting this shit with them again.

How does something like that happen?

No idea. It was REALLY bad with the Paperwhite 1. My Paperwhite 2 did not have that issue at ALL. Then the Paperwhite 3 ended up having the same shit. Really frustrating. I'm not going to go through that with them again, so I'm just waiting.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So since Prime Day was a bust, I'm guessing now's as good a time as any to buy a Paperwhite? It's probably not going on sale any time soon, yeah?

Does anyone know if there's a way to check how long it took to read a book? Is this even tracked?

I know Kindle freetime tracks some reading stats, but I don't know if it's for overall library or individual books. It's also targeted at kids so not sure how adults will feel about it.

Also, Amazon does the monthly payment option for Kindles now (although I'm not sure it's available to everyone). I think that really helps with making these gadgets affordable.

Man, so I'm on my third Kindle Voyage and every single one of them has had an inconsistent backlight color (yellowish at the top and blueish at the bottom). Should I try with a 4th one or are they all like this?

They should have even color, but sounds like you will never get one like that at this rate. I'd just give up on the device altogether.

It's too late to return it (I was hoping that if I waited to ask for a replacement, I'd get one after their manufacturing process improved), and getting replacements is free, so I might as well keep at it I guess. It's pretty annoying though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
On the homepage for Amazon, I'm seeing a deal for the Kindle Paperwhite. "Just for me," it says, I can use the code EREADER79 to get a Kindle Paperwhite 3 for $79.

Just checked on SD and looks like it's another one of those targeted deals. Looks like cheap kindles all over again. Though doesn't look like there's the 2 kindles for $25 "deal" people got last year :p.

e_i

Staples is running a "Trade in your Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite for up to $40 off a new Papwerwhite" promotion. Traded in my Kindle Paperwhite 2012 and got $20 off a new Paperwhite. The promo goes to 9/15.

Points of interest:

-The basic Kindle is on sale for $60, the kids version is $100. The kids version comes with warranty, a case, and no ads.

-The enhanced typesetting and Bookerly update is out. Bookerly is Amazon's new font. Just leave your wi-fi on or go download it on Amazon's updates page. It should be available for most Kindles running the Paperwhite OS, I'd imagine (so new basic, Voyage, and all PW's).

linkboy

Just ordered a Paperwhite. I've been using my Nexus 7 as an ebook reader, but it's such a pain to use it outside and it suffers from touchscreen issues.

Figured I might as well make the jump and get an actual reader.

Can't wait to get it.

Amiibro

Just ordered a Paperwhite. I've been using my Nexus 7 as an ebook reader, but it's such a pain to use it outside and it suffers from touchscreen issues.

Figured I might as well make the jump and get an actual reader.

Can't wait to get it.

I just upgraded from the Kindle 2 to the newest Paperwhite with the leather case. It is so amazing I tried to read books on my iPad in bed but it just didn't work. The backlight on them is great!

Top Bottom