• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Luna game streaming service ...

Truespeed

This is the key point. There isn't a company on Earth that has access to consumer data like Amazon. If they've decided the gaming market is something they can get into, the decision would have been based on all of the data they've been pulling in for years on gaming habits and purchasing.

Honestly, while Google and Msft are massive companies, they don't have the cloud structure, consumer data, market saturation, ubiquity, or subscription levels that Amazon have.

Google doesn't have the cloud infrastructure? You serious? They're one the biggest and fastest cloud providers in the world. with more undersea cables then anyone else. They also have over 7000 edge nodes. Oh, and they just own YouTube. As for consumer data and market share? Again, you serious? This is Google.

Last edited:
Ha! I was wondering when Amazon was going to get into this. I wouldn't immediately count them out. Amazon ain't someone to play with. Their FireStick line are very popular items. I wonder how good their latency would be, especially with having the largest cloud infrastructure. I wonder how "in" they actually are for Luna 🤔

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Google doesn't have the cloud infrastructure? You serious? They're one the biggest and fastest cloud providers in the world. with more undersea cables then anyone else. They also have over 7000 edge nodes. Oh, and they just own YouTube. As for consumer data and market share? Again, you serious? This is Google.

...who completely failed with their cloud gaming service.

Truespeed

...who completely failed with their cloud gaming service.

Has it been shut down yet? Why not wait until the dust settles before declaring victory for competitors that haven't launched yet or whose anemic reddit activity and underpowered hardware are indicators of its relevance.

The Netflix model works... it's proven. But like Netflix they have to learn that they need to create their own content. This is not going to be a true competitor to game pass.

The Netflix model works... it's proven. But like Netflix they have to learn that they need to create their own content. This is not going to be a true competitor to game pass.

Amazon is already working on their own content, at least one game that we know about. They also have their own engine with Lumberyard. There is no doubt that they will have first party stuff soon.

Amazon is already working on their own content, at least one game that we know about. They also have their own engine with Lumberyard. There is no doubt that they will have first party stuff soon.

Fair enough. Now they just need 15+ years to develop their IPs, create a fan base, and nurture development houses.

Three

Yep, the final stage will be the mobile market merging and everything being one in the same.

Companies will compete on "time played" and other engagement metrics rather than on outright quality. Like on mobile, eventually the only way developers will be able to make decent money directly is via microtransactions.
And ads

Agent X

Quoting myself from a few weeks ago:

I see that Ubisoft is supposed to have a "channel" on Luna, which is reminiscent of their announcement to have Uplay+ available through Stadia for an additional fee (not included with Stadia Pro). Will the Ubisoft channel on Luna be included in the base price, or will you be required to pay another subscription fee (like on Stadia)?

We've now got our answer. It's Ubisoft+ (renamed from Uplay+), and it will require an additional fee of $14.99 per month...but Ubisoft+ subscribers can access the same service from both Luna and Stadia. See this thread for more information.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Amazon posted third quarter revenue of $96 billion today.

Microsoft posted third quarter revenue of $35 billion the other day.

If anyone genuinely believes Microsoft are the heavy hitters in the upcoming game streaming war, they have a big shock coming.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Amazon posted third quarter revenue of $96 billion today.

Microsoft posted third quarter revenue of $35 billion the other day.

If anyone genuinely believes Microsoft are the heavy hitters in the upcoming game streaming war, they have a big shock coming.
Net income for Amazon was $6.3 billion, while Microsoft was $10.8 billion.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Net income for Amazon was $6.3 billion, while Microsoft was $10.8 billion.

I could spend hours trying to explain why reported profits (for either company) are not to be trusted as far as you can throw them. But let’s just say a lot of profit gets ‘reinvested’ into the company to avoid paying tax.

The scale of Amazon’s revenue is staggering, and I don’t just mean up against Msft.

And their guidance for fourth quarter is 120 billion. That’s terrifying.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

Arise thread! I just got an invite ad for this and decided to check it out. The tech shockingly worked well for me. Playing a modern game on an iPad felt like magic. Catalogue kind of sucks though, which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. The Ubisoft stuff is interesting, but not at 16 a month.

pasterpl

Arise thread! I just got an invite ad for this and decided to check it out. The tech shockingly worked well for me. Playing a modern game on an iPad felt like magic. Catalogue kind of sucks though, which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. The Ubisoft stuff is interesting, but not at 16 a month.
Have you tested gamepass on iPad yet? How does it compare?

Top Bottom