• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon & MGM Deal Officially Done

bitbydeath

Amazon has closed its $8.5 billion acquisition of MGM which was first announced last May. Amazon and MGM have jointly announced the news in a press release this morning with MGM officially joining Prime Video and Amazon Studios.
MGM has a catalog of more than 4,000 film titles, 17,000 TV episodes, 180 Academy Awards, and 100 Emmy Awards along with major franchises including James Bond, The Pink Panther, Rocky and more. The library is expected to complement Prime Video and Amazon Studios’ work.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You're looking at 600$/year to access everything.

Or go old school...

pirates of the caribbean GIF by NETFLIX

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
All those films & TV shows, now probably locked behind a streaming service

BigBooper

Not going to happen I know, but it'd be a good time to reform copyright law. Reduce the protected time. All this consolidation is scary.

kingfey

Banned
Not a great list for my tastes. Bond is complicated and they've kinda shit the bed with that series again.

Back catalog is great though, just not excited for anything amazon has their hands on.
Amazon made the boys. With production like that, some of these franchises, might see a day light. We will wait, and see what they do now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why doesn't Netflix purchase any of these studios?
I think netflix would get more value out of 8.5 billion in new content than a bunch of old shows. Their streaming model isn't so much about the back catalogue as it is about constant drips of shiny new. What has real value is the IP rights to make a new version of a treasured classic, not just rebroadcast the old one. Amazon can't just make new Rocky movies now, I don't think, though maybe they now have right of first refusal for anything Stallone or whomever does have the rights wants to make.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
All those films & TV shows, now probably locked behind a streaming service

Unlikely. Disney and 20th century fox films are still available to purchase and aren't locked behind Disney+. I personally expect the same for MGM

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Why doesn't Netflix purchase any of these studios?

Netflix is all in on self production. They have a huge development budget (13 billion/year and going up) and because they have massive amounts of data I suspect they’re more interested on using data to drive property development than in bulk purchasing older stuff.

Last edited:

TGO

Unlikely. Disney and 20th century fox films are still available to purchase and aren't locked behind Disney+. I personally expect the same for MGM
True but Disney's UHD Blu-ray efforts have been questionable and subpar.
No Way Home only has a good release because a Sony Pictures Production and not Disney/Marvel release.
All their Marvel films lack DV and the Atmos track is as basic as you can get.
And none of the TV shows are available to purchase either.

HoodWinked

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I don't know that the MGM catalog has much of a draw aside from Bond films and even then they only get co ownership of.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
True but Disney's UHD Blu-ray efforts have been questionable and subpar.
No Way Home only has a good release because a Sony Pictures Production and not Disney/Marvel release.
All their Marvel films lack DV and the Atmos track is as basic as you can get.
And none of the TV shows are available to purchase either.

Yeah. I understand your point. There is a lot of shows and films made that are exclusive to the streaming platform and cannot be bought digitally or on a physical disc.

It sucks, but it's a way to keep people subscribed.

It's worth noting that MGM movies made before 1986 belong to WarnerMedia. Ted Turner bought MGM at the time, kept the film/tv library and sold the name back to the original owner. Time Warner bought Turner Entertainment in 1996.

TGO

It's worth noting that MGM movies made before 1986 belong to WarnerMedia. Ted Turner bought MGM at the time, kept the film/tv library and sold the name back to the original owner. Time Warner bought Turner Entertainment in 1996.
This is good, the original Poltergeist will still get it's 4K release then.

Top Bottom