• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon no longer selling Versus XIII?

Soriku

The transition is going to be much quicker than I think people are expecting, and SE already know that, which is why they were the first publisher to announce a next-gen only game with Thief.

As far as SE goes, I expect their Western branch to move on faster (as will most Western devs) but their Japanese next gen development as a whole will probably be a bit slower (though they still have a next gen FF coming, besides Versus).

Midou

Honestly, I could look down on all FF fans who haven't played 11 to an reasonable extent but that is not fair.

I understand what you're saying, but in general I'd expect most FF or RPG fans typically want a nice 40-60 hour long game so that they don't need to pay or spend months to see all the content. I played about 80 hours since last expansion before taking a break again, and I got maybe 30 minutes of story stuff. I know I wasn't using my time most efficiently, but the game is certainly in a state where it's harder to find parties to progress through story and stuff, waiting until 99 and doing most of it solo isn't too cool.

I will agree the game's lore, music, and all that is among the best in the series, but it certainly wouldn't be for most typical RPG fans.

I was always hoping they could have done an offline version that focused on the story and such. It's a pity millions of FF fans will likely never experience most of it. It would obviously take a lot of work rescaling enemies and such in the game, but I think you could certainly get a lot of people interested in it. I know the online interactions are great too, but these days it's certainly harder to find them prior to end-game. You could even throw some characters from the story as party members throughout, with a gambit system. Big boss fights could be done like hunts in XII. Add battle speed option too. I mean XII was essentially an offline version of XI, so using system from it to turn FFXI into a single player game could work out really well. I think they could totally convert it in 6-12 months and still get a couple million out of it. I know it would never happen in a million years, but I think it totally could be done in theory.

Aww, I missed all the OST/composer talk earlier. Just wanted to say that Shimomura is one of my favorite composers. Some of the best themes were made by her like Dearly Beloved (best version imo) and Xenoblade's main theme. In fact, all the songs she composed in Xenoblade were really amazing and fit the areas/cutscenes perfectly. I feel like the Epilogue track from Xenoblade is criminally underrated (I never see it mentioned in lists). It feels like the perfect theme to have during the credits after the conclusion of an epic adventure.

I was always hoping they could have done an offline version that focused on the story and such. It's a pity millions of FF fans will likely never experience most of it. It would obviously take a lot of work rescaling enemies and such in the game, but I think you could certainly get a lot of people interested in it. I know the online interactions are great too, but these days it's certainly harder to find them prior to end-game. You could even throw some characters from the story as party members throughout, with a gambit system. Big boss fights could be done like hunts in XII. Add battle speed option too. I mean XII was essentially an offline version of XI, so using system from it to turn FFXI into a single player game could work out really well. I think they could totally convert it in 6-12 months and still get a couple million out of it. I know it would never happen in a million years, but I think it totally could be done in theory.

That would be really awesome if it ended up ever happening. It's a huge shame that a majority of FF friends I have never played FFXI - they really missed out. I'm not sure if I could recommend playing it now because it feels like a completely different game than it was in 2003-2006. I think it would be possible to rework the game for singleplayer, but I'm sure it'd require too much work for so little gains.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care if it's PS3/PS4 exclusive or cross gen. It's a win/win/win situation.

Cross-platform or PS3 only means I can pick it up and play it on day one while it's fresh. PS4 only means I can hopefully enjoy watching some butthurt people complain about the platform change, and get it on the cheap a few years down the road when I eventually get a PS4. Better version, though it won't be new anymore.

And Shimomura hardly did any of the tracks in Xenoblade, but despite that it regularly gets attributed to her.

That's one of the most nostalgic tracks for me. Hearing it really takes me back to when I first played Kingdom Hearts.

Also, Legend of Mana had a really fantastic soundtrack as well - really love this theme. I didn't even know she did that soundtrack until much later.

Did Shimomura compose the Ending song in Mana?
Because it's so damn good...

Voror

And the music is used beautifully here:

Kingdom Hearts 3D Opening

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix Credits Fast forward to 1:30 here.

The 3D opening is brilliant and an excellent use of that track. Actually, most of the openings for the series have been fantastic. I wonder if KHIII will feature Utada Hikaru for the opening once again.

Why are the credits using scenes from KHII?

I hope we might hear some new music if they show a trailer for Versus.

Midou

Can it be? A new final fantasy in i don't know like forever? So ready for this, not ready for the inevitable " Coming 2014" right after trailer.

I want a season go to with a year, like 'Summer 2014', I can accept because if they just say '2014' it will be pushed back for sure.

they should make FFXV(versus) a PS4 launch title

Voror

they are using scenes from KHII because it is a teaser for HD2.5 ReMix.

Ah I suppose that makes sense. It threw me off though.

I want a season go to with a year, like 'Summer 2014', I can accept because if they just say '2014' it will be pushed back for sure.

Same. I expect Spring or Summer 2014.

That would be amazing but there's probably no chance.

I agree it needs a season with the year but I think realistically the game will come out "Spring/Summer 2014".

At this point I doubt they would put a year/release window on the game and then delay it further. It would be the last thing they would want to do.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think, technically, the map for the airship is a separate map from the actual one you walk on, but you CAN fly the airship around it. It isn't SUPER important because from the sky, Orience isn't very big, being only one landmass. Then again, it takes a LONG time to walk the whole of Orience, and so, rather than expending Chocobos or paying gil, you can use your airship (which carries over into New Game +!) to get places quickly or reach the areas you cannot reach by foot, chocobo, or ferry. Namely the Desert, the Valley of Marlboros, and the Tower of Agito. There's also an ocean fortress you have to go to for an optional mission, but I don't remember if you MUST have the airship to reach it.

Ocean Fortress? That's just a NG+ alt mission right? I don't remember needing anything to go there. It was a Soryu mission right?

Vitor Navarrete

Neo Member
I just find it crazy that they managed to fit in all those characters in a few minutes.

WHY DO YOU NEED SO MANY CHARACTERS NOMURA?

Kingdom Hearts it's a shonen manga made into a game with disney characters into the mix.
And I love every bit of it.
And everyone knows that a shonen isn't a shonen without tons of characters, with a bunch of them being useless.

And, since we're talking about Shimomura's tracks. I love a bunch of them and think she's more than suited to track a full-fledged final fantasy, be it called Versus or XV. The main character's theme from Kingdom Hearts are the character made into a song. Naminé's, Xion's and Roxas' theme are perfect. Roxas' and Xion's are pure sadness, just like the characters. Words can't really say it.

One track that I really think is awesome is this one

Hollow Bastion

It's strong and subtle at the same time. I love Uematsu and thing he's the best videogame composer in Japan. But people seems to think he's the only one suited to score the FF series. There are so many talented composers at SE disposal that using only him over and over again would be such a waste.

Spongebob

Banned
Can it be? A new final fantasy in i don't know like forever? So ready for this, not ready for the inevitable " Coming 2014" right after trailer.
After all the years of waiting I think the fanbase deserves a little more than a broad 2014 release date.

Mognet

so since this is the KH team behind versus/XV, can we expect a hidden 1v1 boss fight similar to that of sora vs sephiroth except it'll instead be noctis vs gilgamesh?

hype

Soriku

so since this is the KH team behind versus/XV, can we expect a hidden 1v1 boss fight similar to that of sora vs sephiroth except it'll instead be noctis vs gilgamesh?

hype

Gilgamesh would be fitting...guy with lots of weapons vs. guy with lots of weapons. Would be cool if the battle was designed so you had to make full use of all your weapons to beat him.

Also we'd get a Shimomura arrangement of Gilgamesh's theme.

Go_Ly_Dow

Imagine a ShimomuraxUematsu OST :O

Well maybe with Shimomura composing the bulk of the OST and with Uematsu composing the main theme and a few arrangements. (Somnus may not be the main theme right?)

One can dream.

farisr

ugh... I don't know why I do this to myself.

Just got done rewatching (for the hundredth time) all 6 trailers they've released so far for the game. Setting myself up badly for disappointment. Think my expectations are way too high. Really hoping it's a ps4 only game and they spent these last 7 years refining and crafting a great story, and gameplay of course.

The story/setting/themes/vibe is what immediately got me interested in the game in the first place, so even if the gameplay turns out mediocre, I will be satisfied as long as the story is good. Of course, great gameplay + great story > mediocre gameplay + great story.

6 days.

Mr. RHC

Imagine a ShimomuraxUematsu OST :O

Well maybe with Shimomura composing the bulk of the OST and with Uematsu composing the main theme and a few arrangements. (Somnus may not be the main theme right?)

One can dream.

Hmm, soo good! I could even see Shimomura doing the main themes, she has a very memorable use of piano, and Uematsu composing battle themes, field themes, airship themes etc.

Betty

Banned
Noctis perfume delayed from 15th June to 29th June.

http://store.jp.square-enix.com/news/item/2382

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

It doesn't bother me too much, but I hope it isn't XV. I'd like to see it remain considered a sort of spin off as long as it's a Kingdom Hearts game, mechanically.

Exentryk

Weird... why delay a perfume for two weeks and those trading arts for a week? Hope nothing changed when it comes to E3 plans.

It's a Versus product, so no surprises on the delays :p
But it's most likely just logistical issues with concerned products.

farisr

Nah. They probably don't want anyone getting it early.

If it carries the name of the game somewhere on the box, this may very well be the reason for the delay. They wouldn't want the new name leaking out (at least officially).

They could have done it with a 15th June release too.

Sometimes people receive products a week (or even two) ahead of the release date because they ship out early from the warehouse.

Top Bottom