• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon now displays Metacritic Score

Orayn

But wouldn't that be true whether there's a Metascore calculated or not? The individual scores would be unrepresentative garbage, but that's not MC's fault. You can blame MC for "legitimizing" the aggregate of those garbage scores, but the root cause of the problem is certainly elsewhere.

Kind of, yeah. Metacritic is serving as a repeater for bad information.

Weren't you creating metacritic 2.0 for games?

plox gief

I am planning to, yes. (Thanks for remembering!) I've undertaken so much this year that I'm scratching my head on where to ask.

However, I want it to be more social than metacritic, being focus only on games, ensure people get rewarded (whether be games or DLC) for contributing, split ad-revenues, track playthrough, achievements, have a proper hub for all games where you can view all the walkthroughs or twitch streams or youtube videos by internet personalities and more. I am not in it for the money, and I think keeping it that way for a very long time will make it more than what metacritic is right now.

I don't hate metacritic, I just hate how there is no direct feedback to developers and that they lose bonus if their score isn't "90 or above". Its the industry's fault for giving them that much power and I wish it wasn't that way. Future needs to be friendlier.

hwy_61

Banned
That comparing Steam to Amazon is stupid?

Last time I check, Steam has become the defacto PC gaming source. Hell, the first question on any PC game sale thread on CAG, is if the game is steam redeemable.

Its foolish to dismiss steam, just because they're not the giant amazon is.

JABEE

The Metacritic press scores don't inform consumers because major problems with games often aren't reflected in the individual scores that contribute to it.

Amazon star ratings and Metacritic user scores don't inform consumers because they're both extremely vulnerable to being bombarded by hardcore apologists and haters alike.

All forms of numerical ratings for games need to go away. They're completely unreliable and they do nothing to help people make better purchases.

I agree with you completely. The power and the incentive to use numerical scoring is a conflict of interest. It serves only to further-integrate outlets into PR plans, and incentivizes the giving and receiving of favors.

This system is at best valueless from an editorial perspective and at worst a weapon for larger, more weighted outlets to wield at the expense of smaller outlets. Outlets with scoring systems more conducive to higher scores receive preferential treatment. Jeff Gerstmann mentioned this when talking about the 5 star system he uses. Sessler mentioned how G4 was encouraged to move away from the same system.

Professional salaries and futures are on the line. This system and the power it gives will lead to unethical behavior. This system isn't something that outlets should let incubate and grow.

Because the cool thing to do is hate on Metacritic as a literal sum of everything that is wrong with videogame press, rather than addressing the root problems themselves.
Because Metacritic is a soulless site but Amazon is made of puppies and rainbows.
I knew posts would qualify this as a catastrophe before even clicking the topic title.

jwk94

Because Metacritic isn't a good measure of how good or bad a game is especially when User Ratings are taken to account and unknown blogs out the woodworks have something to say about a game that can either negatively or positively affect a game. The point is to use your own judgement, not the judgment of others. This is a terrible idea that no will affect overall sales.

People are going to look at reviews anyway. This just saves them some time.

Partition

Banned
Metacritic is only useful for music because there is no other aggregation site for music.

Otherwise, I use RottenTomatoes for movies and GameRankings for games, they both seem to be more accurate and better about which reviews to include or not include.

This is nice.

It's always annoying when a steam game's page doesn't have the metacritic score for some reason and I have to go look it up manually.

I always check just to see the general reception of the game, I don't judge by it alone but it's always nice to have that information.

The same reason I always look at the customer reviews on amazon products. Always good for consumers to be able to see that information more conveniently.

sjay1994

Who cares? It saves consumers a step.

Does it really?

For them to buy a game based on an aggregated number based on the opinions of a bunch of random people, only for them to realize the game is not for them, despite not actually looking at why the game got the score it did, only for them to bitch and rant on forums that the game is "overrated"?

Metacritic is a cancer

Does it really?

For them to buy a game based on an aggregated number based on the opinions of a bunch of random people, only for them to realize the game is not for them, despite not actually looking at why the game got the score it did, only for them to bitch and rant on forums that the game is "overrated"?

Metacritic is a cancer

Is that a person that would have even bought said game in the first place?

Coxy

What's shitty about it? What makes a metacritic score any less valid than an amazon review score that anybody can post?

Argument By Question is a fallacy, the problems with metacritic are well known and have been discussed in depth many times

This is just integrated the moneyhats that already exists.
Nothing will change - Amazon will still sell tons of GTA, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Just like yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Bessy67

Argument By Question is a fallacy, the problems with metacritic are well known and have been discussed in depth many times
No seriously, what makes metacritic scores any less valid than random user scores, many of which have never actually seen the game in question?

iNvid02

the end is nigh
iFdoIgu.png

boeso

"That's one small step for (a)mazon, one giant leap for Garme Journalism."

Those user scores though...why would they do this?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

How many of those problems also apply to Amazon's existing user rating system? Should they get rid of that as well? I mean, how can you assign a numerical quantity to a subject experience of any product?

Hedja

You don't need to agree with Metacritic scores to make it useful. I almost always check Metacritic to find some range of reviews to read after checking gameplay. Besides, it's not like there's a massive branded banner around it. I'd say it's pretty well done.

You could argue that those user reviews aren't an accurate reflection of the game either.

What Amazon is lacking now is the ability for users to submit/link to their gameplay footage. They allow pictures after all.

KORNdoggy

This is just integrated the moneyhats that already exists.
Nothing will change - Amazon will still sell tons of GTA, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Just like yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Those massive, AAA well scoring titles aren't the ones that will suffer. The mid tier games, the ones that are already dying are the ones that will suffer, because those games are the impulse buys...not gonna happen if there is a constant reminder that it's only a 6/7 out of 10 scoring title.

I would have honestly preferred if amazon had teamed up with a non score based singular reviewer, and then people can actually READ the pro's and cons of the title. Too much emphasis is on scores as it is, and this is just making things worse.

tokkun

Doesn't necessarily apply in all cases. A lot of reviewers played Battlefield 4 in a controlled environment completely free of the bugs that people encountered at home, so the scores aren't based on anything remotely resembling what people are actually preparing to buy.

The system can't overcome deliberate widespread fraud, malfeasance, and corruption, but that may be setting an unreasonably high bar. That is a weakness in any sort of professional review, and is not unique to Metacritic or to games. Moreover, if anything the averaging effect in Metacritic helps to mitigate such problems, as not all of the reviewers would be subject to the controlled environment. If you take an attitude of utter skepticism toward any review...well, that's fine, but you are not going to find any alternative system that serves you better in that case.

The prevalence of the idea on GAF that a Metacritic score is less valid than a random sample from an individual outlet alarms me. The concept that increasing your sample size reduces the error in the estimated average is not exactly rocket science; it's one of the most elementary principles of statistical sampling.

If you dislike some of the policies of people who use Metacritic scores - like tying compensation to the Metacritic average - that's fine, but it's a totally separate issue from the validity of the scores. The whole situation reminds me a lot of the rage directed toward standardized tests in schools. NCLB and the policy decisions based on it created all the problems, but it was the concept of test standardization itself that became the scapegoat for the mindless echo chamber.

Raziel

Last time I check, Steam has become the defacto PC gaming source. Hell, the first question on any PC game sale thread on CAG, is if the game is steam redeemable.

Its foolish to dismiss steam, just because they're not the giant amazon is.

Last I checked that didn't change anything I said. Publishers will care a lot more about a fat MC score next to Amazon's add to cart button than they ever did about it being on Steam. There is no comparison. Like someone said on the first page, publishers can just barely bring themselves to be concerned about the PC market in general.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does it really?

Metacritic is a cancer

There's already an aggregated number based on the opinions of a bunch of random people on Amazon pages. It's called the Amazon review score.

Not sure why this is so much worse.

Coxy

No seriously, what makes metacritic scores any less valid than random user scores, many of which have never actually seen the game in question?

How many of those problems also apply to Amazon's existing user rating system? Should they get rid of that as well? I mean, how can you assign a numerical quantity to a subject experience of any product?

the fact that anyone can write an amazon review is BETTER than having a clique of connected outlets with vested interests given exclusive rights to review
and on amazon every review is equal, no one review is given 20 times the weight of another
so that's two reasons why for a start

that's not to say amazon reviews are good, they're stupid shit, but its at least evenly layered shit

hwy_61

Banned
Last I checked that didn't change anything I said. Publishers will care a lot more about a fat MC score next to Amazon's add to cart button than they ever did about it being on Steam. There is no comparison. Like someone said on the first page, publishers can just barely bring themselves to be concerned about the PC market.

I think people are putting way to much stock into this. I don't think its going to deter people by the masses from buying a game they were already pumped for, really.

Yeah, I shouldn't look at Consumer Reports or specialty resources before I buy my next car either, right? I like the idea. Good games get good ratings and lone wolves can't drive the scores up or down more than a few points.

While I don't necessarily support having metacritic scores on Amazon, I sincerely don't understand the strong hate for metacritic on GAF. It seems irrational to me, especially when "review threads" are usually all the rage for every game here.

It's an aggregate score of a large number independent reviews, what's the big deal? I mostly use metacritic to glance at review scores (and read the blurbs) from individual sites that I care about; it's a convenient way of accessing them all in one place. But I still find the overall "metascore" useful; not in the sense that it would convince me that a game scoring 85 is "better than" one scoring an 80... But surely there's some merit behind it.

There's already an aggregated number based on the opinions of a bunch of random people on Amazon pages. It's called the Amazon review score.

Not sure why this is so much worse.

If I'm not mistaken, Journalist reviews on Metacritic have greater influence on the overall score than the common user. Even certain journalist sites don't have the same amount of weight or importance. It is not a level playing field like Amazon's own rating system.

Top Bottom