• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon now pays out instantly for video game trade-ins

Tripon

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/14/amazon-instant-payment/

Simply submit details of the item/items that you wish to return, after which gift card credit is immediately dispatched. You then have seven days to mail the item to Amazon, via a UPS location, using a printable, prepaid shipping label that is provided on the Amazon website.

Amazon stressed that trade-in values vary based on the condition of the item in question, but some rough prices for popular gaming products are as follows:

Nintendo Wii U Console: up to $150
Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console: up to $170
Microsoft Xbox One 500GB: up to $115
FIFA 17: up to $25
Paper Mario Color Splash: up to $30
Gears of War 4: up to $26

Will expand to other categories on Amazon soon, but seems limited to video games right now.

Weird, in the few times I've sold to them this year the payment for video games was always instant. Didn't know this was a new thing.

I traded in a game a few months ago and had to wait for them to receive it before they paid me. Didn't know this has been happening for a while, apparently. Strange then.

RedFox85

Am I doing this wrong or are allot of their trade in prices ass? like worse than gamestop levels of ass. Example: Nintendo New Galaxy Style New Nintendo 3DS XL Console "up to $2.95".

Wat.

Am I crazy or have I been able to do this for already for a while?

You're not, this has been going on for a long time. In fact, I traded in my PS4 on the day the Pro went up for pre-order using instant payment.

KEEP THIS IN MIND: If they pay you instantly, and your item doesn't meet their requirements for whatever reason, they just charge you for what they already gave you. So, be careful using this. There's no canceling your trade-in if you change your mind.

kuYuri

I traded in my Xbox One back in July of this year and immediate credit wasn't active then, so this is definitely more recent. I had to wait for the Xbox One to arrive before I got credit in my account.

EDIT: Actually, it was August, so perhaps in the last two months.

Hmmm...may trade in my Wiiu. Ever since I bought it I think I turned it on like twice it's just sitting there collecting dust.

I'm pretty sure this has been slowly rolling out to users for the past year or so, I think they're just announcing it as being available to everyone now though.

OmegaFax

Seriously. Trade-in beware. If you're missing so much as a paper insert for your Wii U, the people that assess your trade-in will probably knock it down a grade and you'll lose a lot of your trade-in value. Even if you do it by accident, once you accept the gift-card ahead of time or if you check the box saying you don't want it returned to you if it's marked a grade below you claim it to be, you're shit out of luck.

tl;dr games are usually safe. Systems I'd be careful about.

DOWN

Banned
Don't do this for trade ins. If they reject your item, they charge your credit card for the gift card and you basically just bought a gift card and you are fucked. Just plan ahead and let them only give gift cards when they have approved the item.

The instant option has existed for months and can be a nightmare.

It was said but they reject for silly things, can be a stickler for certain items
I had a pristine copy of a game with no scratches on the disc and it got rejected
Had I done instant trade in credit I would have had to pay for the gift card

NYHorn36

Would Amazon take my PS4 if I voided the warranty (which is out of date) by opening it up to clean it and replace the thermal paste? What about GameStop?

Only way you can tell are those black tabs on the back are gone to get to the screws.

GCQuinton

Stumbled onto this last week. Traded in my OG PS4 and XB1 to get an XB1S this way after I got my PS4 Pro and didn't have any problems at all.

Grinchy

Banned
How can it pay you out a condition-based payment before they've seen the condition? Could they receive your item and then say, "Welp it wasn't good enough for the value we gave you, now you owe us $20?"

fernoca

Yeah, with Anazon you have to be really careful. They can lower the value for whatever you sent, for any given reason and you might end paying money to them.

Yeah, with Anazon you have to be really careful. They can lower the value for whatever you sent, for any given reason and you might end paying money to them.

You can select that if they grade it out lower than you say it is they just send you the items back. Obviously if you choose the pay instantly option and this happens then you will be charged back for the money on your credit card.

How can it pay you out a condition-based payment before they've seen the condition? Could they receive your item and then say, "Welp it wasn't good enough for the value we gave you, now you owe us $20?"

yeah they work that language into the transaction where they have the right to adjust their payout upon receipt

Amazon had this with certain items and now I think everything is covered.

Just a week ago I was trying to trade in my PS4 to Amazon and they did not have instant payment. Now it shows as instant.

As others have said, this is a terrible idea. They will misgrade the items or not be to their satisfaction and then you'll be on the hook for the giftcard.

If you have a card that has no funds and you get hit with this then they give you 3 days to come up with the money. If not then you get banned.

Did anyone trade in a launch PS4 with the weird grinding noise when inserting discs when the console was horizontal/flat? I bought it from amazon and it came like that but I'm afraid they'll downgrade my trade in. It works perfectly otherwise though.

I may had some words with customer service since they're the ones who sold me the console in the first place.

Syriel

Am I crazy or have I been able to do this for already for a while?

Weird, in the few times I've sold to them this year the payment for video games was always instant. Didn't know this was a new thing.

nothing new

They've been doing this...

What they said. Instant payment has been around, but wasn't universal. Offer was based on your risk profile as a user.

Would Amazon take my PS4 if I voided the warranty (which is out of date) by opening it up to clean it and replace the thermal paste? What about GameStop?

Only way you can tell are those black tabs on the back are gone to get to the screws.

Probably get a rejection.

Jake2by4

Yeah, has happened to me a few times, even though the stuff I sent was in pristine condition.
Traded in a vita memory card in prefect condition, they lowered the value saying it had minor scratches, I was like wtf!! Thing was barely touched because it was inside the vita.

Did anyone trade in a launch PS4 with the weird grinding noise when inserting discs when the console was horizontal/flat? I bought it from amazon and it came like that but I'm afraid they'll downgrade my trade in. It works perfectly otherwise though.

I may had some words with customer service since they're the ones who sold me the console in the first place.

My launch ps4 had the same issue but it was fine. Pretty sure a lot of people had the same issue with their launch ps4.

Seriously. Trade-in beware. If you're missing so much as a paper insert for your Wii U, the people that assess your trade-in will probably knock it down a grade and you'll lose a lot of your trade-in value. Even if you do it by accident, once you accept the gift-card ahead of time or if you check the box saying you don't want it returned to you if it's marked a grade below you claim it to be, you're shit out of luck.

tl;dr games are usually safe. Systems I'd be careful about.

I miss when they didn't try to dick you on the completeness/condition of items. I keep everything mint and they still ding me on every other trade because I breathed on the case. Got way better trade values 6-ish years ago.

ZOONAMI

Traded in a vita memory card in prefect condition, they lowered the value saying it had minor scratches, I was like wtf!! Thing was barely touched because it was inside the vita.

My launch ps4 had the same issue but it was fine. Pretty sure a lot of people had the same issue with their launch ps4.

Do you guys just mean sort of a disc reading sound that's fairly loud when you first put in a disc?

Both my ps4 and xb1s do that, as did my previous Xbox one.

Its just the disc starting to spin up I thought lol. Never thought much of it.

Jake2by4

Do you guys just mean sort of a disc reading sound that's fairly loud when you first put in a disc?

Both my ps4 and xb1s do that, as did my previous Xbox one.

Its just the disc starting to spin up I thought lol. Never thought much of it.

I think it is that that but it only happens when my 4 was horizontal. When it was vertical It never happens.

Ala Alba

I don't know if trading a PS4 to Amazon is such a good idea compared to Gamestop.

Looking at Gamestop's website, they'll take a PS4 for $150 dollars. In my experience, they aren't expecting anything other than the console, cords, and controller, so you're likely to get full in-store credit for it, right?

In comparison, Amazon seems like a much larger hassle for a potentially much worse price.

Edit: Bestbuy will take it for $120, so Gamestop still seems to be the best value here.

Briarios

I've been able to do this for about a year. However, they made a mistake receiving once and didn't process it before the deadline, so they charged my card for the credit. I received a new credit after contacting CS, but they wouldn't refund the card. Just FYI.

I've been able to do this for about a year. However, they made a mistake receiving once and didn't process it before the deadline, so they charged my card for the credit. I received a new credit after contacting CS, but they wouldn't refund the card. Just FYI.

Yep, this isn't new. I would advise not doing it though as you mention if there is a mistake they charge your card. If anyone has had similar experiences as me then Amazon will reject items for any reason, if they no longer want to pay out the trade in value.

Edit: I'd also mention that people should be careful when doing trade ins as it will default to instant payment. For those not wanting instant it can be a problem.

I don't know if trading a PS4 to Amazon is such a good idea compared to Gamestop.

Looking at Gamestop's website, they'll take a PS4 for $150 dollars. In my experience, they aren't expecting anything other than the console, cords, and controller, so you're likely to get full in-store credit for it, right?

In comparison, Amazon seems like a much larger hassle for a potentially much worse price.

Edit: Bestbuy will take it for $120, so Gamestop still seems to be the best value here.

Well you have to factor in that some people don't pay sales tax when buying from Amazon.

Top Bottom