• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Studios Nearing Deal With EA to Develop a 'Mass Effect' Series

ManaByte

Gold Member

One of the company’s newest hopefuls in the arena is Mass Effect. Amazon Studios is nearing a deal to develop a series based on the best-selling sci-fi video game franchise from Electronic Arts.

Kind of wish The Expanse was able to go long enough to adapt all of the books, but after The Boys and that I actually have some faith they can pull this off.

nani17

are in a big trouble
giphy.gif

Pallas

Gold Member
I always wanted Telltale to make a Mass Effect game to tie in some of the lore like the first contact war and stuff like the books/comics but this would be a pleasant surprise.

Now someone needs to get with Sega and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and do a show about Yakuza(I know there’s a film and even a theatrical play already made in Japan)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Mass Effect universe is cool as fuck. I’ll watch it no matter how awful it is.

Actually kind of a bummer how bad this IP has been squandered. I remember after finishing ME2 thinking how this could just go on forever when they laid such strong groundwork on the series. Then we just went an entire console gen with only one really shitty game.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hope it's good! The Boys and Invincible are fantastic while it appears that Wheel of Time has been decent (haven't watched that one yet).

Fbh

I guess it could be decent if they just follow the plot and characters, throw a decent budget at it and don't woke it up.

But I can't see it being nearly as good as the games. Half the appeal is interacting with the various characters, and that would be gone.

If it's even 70% as good as the Expanse I'll be excited

Haven't read the books so I don't know if it's related to the source material.
But while I still enjoy the show, IMO it has gotten substantially worse since Amazon took it over

ManaByte

Gold Member
Haven't read the books so I don't know if it's related to the source material.
But while I still enjoy the show, IMO it has gotten substantially worse since Amazon took it over

Haven't seen much of it after Amazon, but the first couple of seasons were very faithful to the books.

The problem is every three books or so the scale gets exponentially bigger.

At the end of the third book they go through a wormhole expanding the scale beyond just the solar system (which is the end of Season 3 of the series), then there's a 28 year time jump between the sixth and seventh books.

The scale was probably going to become too big for even an Amazon series to deal with.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its basically more Stargate style sci fi which is fine with me. Stargate was made in Canada. Mass Effect made in Canada. Probably already was massive influence and cross over. Very easy to see it as a TV show since it was almost similar to that already.

EDMIX

I'm cautiously optimistic.

With the money that Amazon has and then competing with Netflix, they will open the vault for this. They outbid for the Fallout contract, them buying MGM should show they are not lowballing against Netflix and will open the floodgates to match them.

So EA can just pull that license if clearly Netflix will spend on a massive budget.....and they have lol

So its already known by Amazon and HBO, in order to get those contracts, ya need to dig deep. The rumor of The Last Of Us budget by HBO is around 10 million an episode, but I'm not too shocked at that. They need to do that to keep up with what Netflix is doing.

So I think they'll do a good job

I watched 'The Boys' on AMazon, and the super hero cartoon and both of those were alright. Atleast they've shown they're not afraid to make some grown up Rated R content, but do they have any real Sci-Fi Experience or something on there I should check out?

The Expanse.

The Expanse. Saved that show from the graveyard, one of my favorite new Sci Fi shows!

anderson-dawes-the-expanse.gif
I actually will be up working until damn near the morning - finishing some stuff off so I can be off for the rest of the week/weekend so ima put it on my other monitor and check it out. Quite a few folks in the thread mentioned it(I didn't know what they were talking about at first lol) but ima turn it on in a few mins and dive in, thanks

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually will be up working until damn near the morning - finishing some stuff off so I can be off for the rest of the week/weekend so ima put it on my other monitor and check it out. Quite a few folks in the thread mentioned it(I didn't know what they were talking about at first lol) but ima turn it on in a few mins and dive in, thanks
Put subtitles on even though its in English. You're welcome. Enjoy!

Yoda

Friendly reminder that Amazon took over the expanse after it already had a few seasons (arguably its best seasons), so that isn't a good bar for the quality Amazon puts on its own. Also the expanse had PoV style novels which adapt really well to TV (see ASOIAF)... ME is a video game series and we know how notorious those are for terrible adaptations.

iorek21

Mass Effect is a hell of a franchise to adapt; Amazon could even make some spin offs about the First Contact War, Rachini Wars, Geth Rebellion, Prothean Fall and so on…

Umbasaborne

Banned
Mass effect is my favorite video game trilogy of all time. Ive played those games all the way through probably 40 or 50 times over the years. Please amazon, DO NOT try to adapt the trilogy. Sheapards story is too personal to the player at the helm, as is their relationships. Its the same reason i refuse to watch other people play mass effect like alex did on giant bomb. I dont want to see sheapards story retold because its not my sheapard. Mass effect is a big universe, as a tv show they could focus on a specific aspect of it that has not been explored in the games. For example, a show chronicling the discovery of the mass relays and the first contact war. Or a series that focuses on the lives of c sec officers, and crime lords on the citadel. Or a show about one of the first human colonies as the alliance started to expand into the stars, like elesyum or something. Tell me a mass effect story that hasnt been told. The games exist and they are good enough as they are.

Edit: its ironic actually because mass effect 2 is paced like a tv show. Each recruitment and loyality mission play out like episodes of a show, with natural starting and stopping points. If we get a mass effect show thats paced as well as mass effect 2, then sign me the fuck up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom