• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's Luna Boss Leaves

Astorian

Marc Whitten left Amazon this month to join another game company, Unity.​

The head of Amazon's new Luna streaming service has left the company. Marc Whitten, a longtime gaming executive who previously worked at Xbox, left Amazon this month to join another game company, Unity, as its SVP and GM.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I like to think he was fed up with the frame-pacing issues and stuttering that comes with streaming so he went to work for the people who made the Unity Engine:

trying not to laugh GIF

A little joke for all my frame-pacing-fiend GAFers.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Imagine Luna was Lunesta:

Just trippping balls, driving your car while asleep WHILE playing as a giant green cyber-butterfly and then you die. Best game ever. Maybe this guy couldn't handle the drug culture at Amazon, he's straight edge.

Interfectum

I'm still not convinced game streaming is even in our near future, tbh. None of these services are gaining real traction and the big tech players are already trying (and failing) to gain any momentum. Even xcloud at this point seems to be a complete afterthought as gamers are scrambling to buy a console.

Interfectum

Yeah until Satya asks why GamePass numbers aren't at their expectations in a few years and is told nobody is really streaming but existing gamers when they take a shit.
Phil sold the MS CEO on reaching a billion gamers through Azure streaming and I can almost guarantee that is not how it's going to play out.

Native smartphone games and systems like Switch will reach those gamers far sooner than a game streaming service.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Phil sold the MS CEO on reaching a billion gamers through Azure streaming and I can almost guarantee that is not how it's going to play out.

Native smartphone games and systems like Switch will reach those gamers far sooner than a game streaming service.
Yeah I've pointed that out many times.

And I'm sure they mean "GamePass + Azure as a service" and that's a long-term goal, but what publisher is going to want to jump on to streaming at this point? lol

I bet they still have fairly aggressive short term goals too.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced game streaming is even in our near future, tbh. None of these services are gaining real traction and the big tech players are already trying (and failing) to gain any momentum. Even xcloud at this point seems to be a complete afterthought as gamers are scrambling to buy a console.

I disagree. Even though its not for me.... I see a future with most smart TVs have the xbox game pass app +streaming available...

It'll gradually grow and anyone without a console will be able to play. I agree it won't be the optimum experience but neither is Netflix and its as popular as hell.

MS does need to clear marketinging of what it is to help the casuals understand.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I disagree. Even though its not for me.... I see a future with most smart TVs have the xbox game pass app +streaming available...

It'll gradually grow and anyone without a console will be able to play. I agree it won't be the optimum experience but neither is Netflix and its as popular as hell.

MS does need to clear marketinging of what it is to help the casuals understand.
It's hard to compare to Netflix because tv/movie streaming is passive entertainment that doesn't cultivate a fanbase like hardcore gaming does. It's mainstream mush that everyone digests.

AAA gaming is a much different beast and I don't see this same trajectory occurring. The mainstream peeps that enjoy Netflix already play smartphone games, the gamers that enjoy AAA and indie gaming will continue to reach for the hardware of their choice. Why are millions of gamers still spending $1,000+ on graphics cards? Why is everyone freaking out trying to get a PS5 and Series X? We have Stadia, Geforce Now, xcloud, Luna, PS Now, etc and no one gives a shit. When is this turning point where everyone starts to care? When it's a shitty app on your Samsung tv? Doubtful, still requires a controller investment so you already hurt the convenience factor making them go to a store or order online (you don't have to do this with Disney+ or Netflix).

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned

It might not be in "our" future, but that doesn't mean it is in nobody's future. It's not an all or nothing situation, after all. Streaming is simply another distribution channel. A distribution channel that it seems many would like and some enjoy already. Whichever platform can make it profitable first---directly or indirectly---will have a competitive advantage.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

It's hard to compare to Netflix because tv/movie streaming is passive entertainment that doesn't cultivate a fanbase like hardcore gaming does. It's mainstream mush that everyone digests.

AAA gaming is a much different beast and I don't see this same trajectory occurring. The mainstream peeps that enjoy Netflix already play smartphone games, the gamers that enjoy AAA and indie gaming will continue to reach for the hardware of their choice. Why are millions of gamers still spending $1,000+ on graphics cards? Why is everyone freaking out trying to get a PS5 and Series X? We have Stadia, Geforce Now, xcloud, Luna, PS Now, etc and no one gives a shit. When is this turning point where everyone starts to care? When it's a shitty app on your Samsung tv? Doubtful, still requires a controller investment so you already hurt the convenience factor making them go to a store or order online (you don't have to do this with Disney+ or Netflix).
Exactly; there is no consumer demand for game streaming. Casual gamers are fine playing what runs on a cell phone, and what runs on a cell phone is getting better and better.. so WTF would the point be of streaming a game? Those games download plenty fast too... especially if you have a good connection, which game streaming requires. The cloud giants for whatever reason think those billion+ gamers are just waiting to stream their games.

There was massive consumer demand for super convenient video streaming; piracy had skyrocketed for one... same with music streaming.

This "Eventually it will be the same for gaming" concept is just silly to me. Where is the demand?

We have near supercomputers in our pockets already lol

Last edited:
Yeah until Satya asks why GamePass numbers aren't at their expectations in a few years and is told nobody is really streaming but existing gamers when they take a shit.
Yeah I've pointed that out many times.

And I'm sure they mean "GamePass + Azure as a service" and that's a long-term goal, but what publisher is going to want to jump on to streaming at this point? lol

I bet they still have fairly aggressive short term goals too.
Exactly; there is no consumer demand for game streaming. Casual gamers are fine playing what runs on a cell phone, and what runs on a cell phone is getting better and better.. so WTF would the point be of streaming a game? Those games download plenty fast too... especially if you have a good connection, which game streaming requires. The cloud giants for whatever reason think those billion+ gamers are just waiting to stream their games.

There was massive consumer demand for super convenient video streaming; piracy had skyrocketed for one... same with music streaming.

This "Eventually it will be the same for gaming" concept is just silly to me. Where is the demand?

We have near supercomputers in our pockets already lol

dude, we get it. You hate game pass. But 3 posts on the first page of a thread about Amazon Luna? Why? Where did gamepass hurt you?

JimboJones

It makes sense for MS to be in the cloud gaming business, they would be stupid not to be. It isn't a coincidence that the three biggest cloud providers are also trying to get into cloud gaming(even Sony is partnering with Microsofts technology!), it piggybacks off their already established services, the upfront cost is already paid for, and with MS they have a huge advantage being established in the gaming space.

IntentionalPun

dude, we get it. You hate game pass. But 3 posts on the first page of a thread about Amazon Luna? Why? Where did gamepass hurt you?
It's called a conversation. And multiple people brought up Microsoft in this Luna thread.

And where did I say I hate GamePass? it's obvious Spencer sold their leadership that GamePass would take off because of streaming. GamePass fans (like myself) should not be cheering Stadia/Luna flopping. It's a sign that the promise of cloud streaming, at the very least, isn't coming to fruition anytime soon. MS's investment in GamePass is directly tied to their belief cloud streaming will take off in a major way, not just for their service, but as a cloud service they can sell. And if it doesn't happen, we don't know what MS's leadership will think of that.

Both my wife and I have had GPU basically since it came out. I'm not a GamePass hater, I'm just someone paying attention to the fact that the future of Xbox is seen as the future of cloud streaming by their leadership.

Fredrik

Geforce Now is where it’s at until Microsoft realize that they could have PCs on the servers. Xcloud is currently held back by last gen console hardware. Once they upgrade it to XSX hardware Geforce Now will be way ahead. MS isn’t aggressive enough imo, they need to start using PC hardware.

geary

Microsoft has an advantage because streaming is not the main pitch for games is an extra...and with time alongside hardware gaming this could grow well.
Imagine you have gamepass and play games on xbox/pc and you know tomorrow you have to leave the city. Then when you are out of town you can always jump on the game on your tablet/phone/laptop...anything portable you have...

Sadly, Google and Luna does not have this option and that's where MS is winning against them.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Did anyone actually bothers with those services on phones? I had a Stadia trial and never bothered to even try it once. Xcloud I'm not sure how it works or where is it? Zero interest for that shit.

Who would play console games on phones? There is no market for that. They are all failing. MS is next with their Pringles cans.

wolywood

Pretty much. Stadia is dropping the ball in a significant way and Luna... I've yet to use it but this can't be good news for them can it?

Two years ago, MS must have been sweating over what Amazon and Google had up their sleeves. It turns out video games are hard.
"Streaming isn't the future!!" -says Americans with their shitty connections who think they're the center of the world.
Can't spell freedom without data cap

IntentionalPun

"Streaming isn't the future!!" -says Americans with their shitty connections who think they're the center of the world.
The conversation in here is about how services seem to be flopping, and nobody said anything about that having to do with the technology not working well.

I have uncapped gigabit and a 10ms ping to Stadia's servers.. the tech is impressive, nothing to do with my opinion about the future of streaming.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Did anyone actually bothers with those services on phones? I had a Stadia trial and never bothered to even try it once. Xcloud I'm not sure how it works or where is it? Zero interest for that shit.

Who would play console games on phones? There is no market for that. They are all failing. MS is next with their Pringles cans.
Im not interested in streaming to my phone but once this stuff hits smart TVs it’s gonna be amazing. I play a lot of slow games (RPGs, strategy games, 4X etc) so response time won’t be a problem and I live in a country with cheap, fast bandwidth.

As always, gaming habits won’t be an either/or situation: some people will keep using only local, others will use a mix of both when they travel or commute.

nikolino840

Becouse i can play handled...gaming and handled devices is not something new

SkylineRKR

I can easily grab my tablet, connect the Xbox controller to it via BT but I never bother. Let alone my phone. The last time I played a game on that, I don't know. Probably Mario Run trial.

IntentionalPun

Im not interested in streaming to my phone but once this stuff hits smart TVs it’s gonna be amazing. I play a lot of slow games (RPGs, strategy games, 4X etc) so response time won’t be a problem and I live in a country with cheap, fast bandwidth.

As always, gaming habits won’t be an either/or situation: some people will keep using only local, others will use a mix of both when they travel or commute.
Stadia works particularly well with the ChromeCast Ultra, and they were practically giving them away for a while.

CobraAB

Pretty much. Stadia is dropping the ball in a significant way and Luna... I've yet to use it but this can't be good news for them can it?

Two years ago, MS must have been sweating over what Amazon and Google had up their sleeves. It turns out video games are hard.
Microsoft tends to stick with things for a long while why Google basically throws shit at a wall and just see what sticks.

wipeout364

Somebody is going to nail streaming and that will be the end of consoles. I don’t like it but that is what I truly believe is coming. Once streaming is a ubiquitous app like Netflix and with the right price model it’s over. We will be like the Blue Ray, DVD and vinyl collectors are now ; yelling at the sky but being run over by the casual crowd. If we should have learned anything it’s that convenience and price beats quality every time.

Interfectum

Yeah because other countries are totally carrying game streaming... it’s not like this shit isn’t bombing everywhere it’s released.

Stadia works great for a ton of US setups and no one still wants to use it even with the amount of free shit they started giving away including Destiny 2. No one cares about this shit.

wolywood

Y all are forgetting about one little co. called Nvidea and if you have watched who is ahead in this dept.

All forgetting about a little Co. right now called Nvidea Geforce now which has shown it is best in this field currently.
GeForce Now has a native app for the Chromecast with Google TV, I use it and it works surprisingly well. MY CC is wired via ethernet though, not sure how good it would be on wifi.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yeah because other countries are totally carrying game streaming... it’s not like this shit isn’t bombing everywhere it’s released.

Stadia works great for a ton of US setups and no one still wants to use it even with the amount of free shit they started giving away including Destiny 2. No one cares about this shit.

adoption would obviously be better if everyone has fiber but adoption also relies on an idea that consoles aren’t commodified enough or theres some part of the market that would be satisfied with playing mobile games that could be up sold on console games over internet but do those type of people tend to have good internet/WiFi? If they care enough wouldn’t they just want to get a console?

Last edited:

isual

Seems like i was right in my analysis that itll fail, stadia included.

So, lets say the controllers become 20 dollars in a fire sale, are they both worth it?

Animagic

Banned
With all the impact and industry movement of a wet leaky fart, Stadia and Luna sputter and make a mess before the smell of death hit everyone’s nostrils.

IntentionalPun

All forgetting about a little Co. right now called Nvidea Geforce now which has shown it is best in this field currently.

We still have no idea how well GeForce now is actually doing as a business.

nVidia is kinda like these cloud players in that they aren't just selling a service but hoping it takes off and they can be a leader in selling cloud-ready GPUs (and CPUs if the ARM purchase goes through.)

Their tech is cool and all but they are getting blocked by some publishers. If anything Shadow is the most full-proof right now if you have it available to you.

I definitely think "streaming only" services are going to be dead in the water for a while, and the hybrid "bring your own license you can use locally" approach will be best though.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

When streaming was first announced I was excited for it and started with OnLive, then GeoForce Now and now GamePass U.
Now I have a pretty decent connection at over 100mbps and all the streaming services I’ve tried so far I’ve canceled ( still have GP for downloading PC games ) sort of grown to not be a fan, most games are just not the same when streaming due to input lag on the controllers or in the stream itself. Neat idea in itself but for my particular use less than ideal, the limitations are real and the infrastructure and hardware is just not ready and I don’t see anything coming that would fix those limitations.
At this point I’ve basically given up on streaming services and will not recommend it to anyone from my own personal experience.

EDMIX

Imagine Luna was Lunesta:

Just trippping balls, driving your car while asleep WHILE playing as a giant green cyber-butterfly and then you die. Best game ever. Maybe this guy couldn't handle the drug culture at Amazon, he's straight edge.

Semi OT, one of the funniest things about that commercial was all the fucking side effects. One of the side effects was literally insomnia

Top Bottom