• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' |OT| Man, that is a high castle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

Episode 1

Wow, that was really, really damn good. I love alternate history stuff like this. It's so crazy seeing how different America is.

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the trailers, but I thought only the Nazi were involved. I didn't know Japan would play such a big role, but it makes sense given what happened in WWII.

I thought the twist was done really well too. It didn't even cross my mind that the new recruit was a spy.

Question/Speculation:

Is this show also sci-fi, like alternate worlds or something? That's the only way that film reel makes sense to me. No way it's just a movie.

Book spoiler :
it's heavily hinted at but never really explained

I'm on EP6 so I can't say the same for the show yet.

k91191

I just finished watching the entire season (and show??) and I'm mind fucked by the ending.

Anyone else finished watching yet?

antonz

I just finished watching the entire season (and show??) and I'm mind fucked by the ending.

Anyone else finished watching yet?

It certainly raises some interesting questions. Enjoyed it all. It had its slow parts but it was never going to be a high paced action adventure through and through

TK-421

What a great show. Just finished watching all the episodes over the last 2 days.

They did a great job with the environments and lots of little touches to show what would be different if the Axis had won (German Dragnet was a neat idea). Watched it in 4K too so the detail was outstanding.

I really hope this does well enough to pickup a second season, really want to see where they'll head next. Highly recommended.

TK-421

I'm really wondering who knows that "The Man in the High Castle" is actually Hitler himself. I mean, maybe it's no one, could be. I guess it's probably harder for him to leak information to the Resistance than getting the films.

As I haven't read the book I'm just speculating, but
It sure seemed that way when you saw the full cabinet of films. Very 1984ish where Emmanuel Goldstein was a construct of the Inner Party.

ZZMitch

Is there a map of how the world looks now? Does Germany and Japan have everything split between them?

Pretty much! Note this is from the book but I am guessing not much is changed

Man_In_The_High_Castle_map.PNG

Irminsul

edit: yeah Berlin was great, as was all of the nazi architecture. very much in line with actual buildings and their grand plans. and the german was good to great for the most part.
Don't get me wrong, it was good, but those people are supposed to be German native speakers, and there were mistakes in some sentences that simply no German would make. Nothing big, but I found it a bit offputting.

As I haven't read the book I'm just speculating, but
It sure seemed that way when you saw the full cabinet of films. Very 1984ish where Emmanuel Goldstein was a construct of the Inner Party.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's (full series spoiler)
Hitler. Not just because of the cabinet, but everything around the handling of these films only makes sense if it's him or some other high-ranking Nazi. Where else would the Resistance get their information from? Also, it's quite interesting that it's said these films "help" the Resistance but no one watches them. Why does this rule even exist? Except of course there's someone at the end who's interested in not letting that information out.

And of course he literally is "The Man in the High Castle".

At episode 9 right now my thoughts:

Am I the only that hates hates HATES Juliana? She's such a self-righteous bitch and
constantly getting people around her killed. Why doesn't Frank just leave her already?

I'm hoping that John Smith
switches sides after the illness with his son.

Anyone else think that Joe's dad is
Hitler himself?

Asturie

I've only finished the second episode but for those who have finished the show, does the show cover the entire book?

That new villain in episode 3 is terrible.
He growls all of his lines, that lip curl he does is laughable, he's threatening someone 100% of the time and that outfit is ridiculous. Dude is so over the top that it seems like a joke. Here's hoping he doesn't stick around.

That's the idea. They even mention in the first episode that the Marshall is basically a Nazi living out a Wild West fantasy.

That's the joke.

Milchmann

It seems I missed something essential. Full season spoiler:
Where/when has it been hinted that Hitler could be Joe's father?

Two episodes in and I really, really like it so far.

It kinda-sorta reminds of Kings. That show was more interesting than it was actually good, but The Man in the High Castle scratches a very familiar itch. It's like a waaaaaaay better version of Kings in a lot of ways.

tim.mbp

So Tagomi, full season spoiler below:

Which world do you think he's from? The show hinted he was familiar with the US bombing Nagasaki which leads me to believe he's originally from our world unless he saw a film or something?

Kahoona

I've finished the first episode and am wondering if they hit you over the head with "hey, the allies lost" as much in the remaining episodes as they do in the first one?

Also, the CGI on the show is a little too "clean" if you ask me. It kind of stands out.

thenexus6

Just finished it, thoroughly enjoyed it. These alternate universe things are interesting to me.

The whole Juliana, Frank and Joe thing alot a little annoying. I didn't like Joe much as a character at all or Juliana after a while. They spent WAY to much time on these characters. I wanted more of the officials and the politics.

My favourites were the Trade Minister because he seemed like a genuine guy and the Obergruppenführer because he played it so well. Some of his scenes were super sinister. The scene where the doctor informs him about his son was great. Really good acting there.

I guess I didn't make the connection with Tagomi jumping through different dimensions with the necklace... I was a little confused because I thought it was just Juliana's that was dropped during the Princes' attempted assassination, but it seems its the key to jump between the dimensions?

So this has been greenlit for a second season?

I've finished the first episode and am wondering if they hit you over the head with "hey, the allies lost" as much in the remaining episodes as they do in the first one?

Every episode shows what life is like in this world. I don't know what your threshold is for hitting you over the head, but I think the rest of the episodes are fairly organic with how they present it. There are quite a lot of moments where you just see "regular" life. Each episode shows different elements so it stays interesting.

Kahoona

Every episode shows what life is like in this world. I don't know what your threshold is for hitting you over the head, but I think the rest of the episodes are fairly organic with how they present it. There are quite a lot of moments where you just see "regular" life. Each episode shows different elements so it stays interesting.

I just find that taking what really happened and flipping it around (Germany dropping the nukes and using "VA day") seems rather lazy and uninspired.

I just find that taking what really happened and flipping it around (Germany dropping the nukes and using "VA day") seems rather lazy and uninspired.

Like I said things are revealed in every episode. There are some really interesting differences about how history in that world proceeded.

Which world do you think he's from? The show hinted he was familiar with the US bombing Nagasaki which leads me to believe he's originally from our world unless he saw a film or something?

His overall demeanor with Juliana and respect for Americans in general makes me think he's from "our" world, but then his stunned reaction upon seeing "our" world at the very end makes me doubt that.

I must say though, I never saw that twist coming at all. How does that
universe jumping work? Holding the necklace and meditate?

My first thought after the universe jumping occurred is that the films are coming from "our" universe and somehow transported onto "their" universe, by the Man in the High Castle, whoever that may be. Otherwise, I just don't see how Hitler (literally being the Man in the High Castle) producing those movies would work. Would go into an awful lot of trouble just to draw out the Resistance.

This being said, I don't know how Joe and Frank appearing in that execution scene ties in with the rest...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So, is this worth watching? Just got Amazon Prime so fancy trying something out that isn't on Netflix.

It is pretty good. Just do not go in expecting balls to the walls action or will likely be disappointed.

I second. It's more of a political thriller and it takes time to develop, as there are many plots running in parallel, and it all comes together by the last episode or two.

What really hooked me in is the way they were able to portray this alternate universe where the Allies lost the war. Really well done. And they've done a good job at portraying the Gestapo-like Kempeitai.

Finished all episodes. Damn good show. They could have been more sincere with the Japanese occupation (going by the accounts of the chinese and korean colonization), but I guess you can't hope for everything.
Where will Season 2 go from now?

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished episode 3. There a rew few things that irk me, but otherwise, this is a pretty great show. Not only is the concept great, but the (largely under the radar) actors are fantastic (especially the lead woman), and there are some really compelling characters and stories here.

antonz

His overall demeanor with Juliana and respect for Americans in general makes me think he's from "our" world, but then his stunned reaction upon seeing "our" world at the very end makes me doubt that.

I must say though, I never saw that twist coming at all. How does that
universe jumping work? Holding the necklace and meditate?

My first thought after the universe jumping occurred is that the films are coming from "our" universe and somehow transported onto "their" universe, by the Man in the High Castle, whoever that may be. Otherwise, I just don't see how Hitler (literally being the Man in the High Castle) producing those movies would work. Would go into an awful lot of trouble just to draw out the Resistance.

This being said, I don't know how Joe and Frank appearing in that execution scene ties in with the rest...
The film showing the execution seems to be some break in the films. They make a big deal out of the fact the film is different then the others. The difference seems to be instead of from our reality it is from within their own from the future. So whoever is behind the films has a reason for changing things and I would think its because they know the films are reaching someone that can do something with it.

Tagomi is an interesting tragic character. He wants to try and do everything he can to save lives but in the end his plan backfires big time and potentially makes things so much worse.

The necklace I'm not sure what to make of. They mention being able to detect sorrow etc. I would guess somehow he instead sees what could have been and even with America winning its a better world since in many ways he seems like a man in the wrong place based on who he is and his beliefs,

At episode 9 right now my thoughts:

Am I the only that hates hates HATES Juliana? She's such a self-righteous bitch and
constantly getting people around her killed. Why doesn't Frank just leave her already?

I'm hoping that John Smith
switches sides after the illness with his son.

Anyone else think that Joe's dad is
Hitler himself?

I hate Juliana, but she also strikes me as the kind of person that would be in an actual resistance movement. As we learn throughout the first season,
the Resistance is all but dead, so it takes a special kind of person to continue fighting a losing battle. Frank's conversation with Arnold is supposed to highlight that his dependable nature is both a blessing and curse. Arnold sees himself as using that quality in himself for the greater good as a collaborator.

I hope Smith doesn't switch sides and yes.

It seems I missed something essential. Full season spoiler:
Where/when has it been hinted that Hitler could be Joe's father?

It's only speculation, but his father was a high-ranking Nazi official that had access to sex with numerous women and is someone Obergrüppenführer Smith holds in high esteem.

I think Tagomi is from their world; the lingering on Nagasaki was for our benefit as viewers and to highlight his psychic powers.

So, is this worth watching? Just got Amazon Prime so fancy trying something out that isn't on Netflix.

Yes.

ryan299

Rufus Sewell is awesome. Best part of the show for me. A Knights Tale is dope ha.

Just finished it.

I think the pacing really slows down from episodes 5-10 and whilst 10 certainly has a few important moments, it doesn't really feel like a finale. I did enjoy the show though, so I'm looking forward to season 2.

This. Pacing is a big issue for streaming shows now. Structure is really important when people can watch as many episodes as they want. These shows don't have the same luxury as cable/network shows.

Also
cliffhangers suck when the show has a small episode count and you have to wait a year for the next season. I expected more answers at the end. I thought they spent too much time setting up side stories, that just weren't important.
I think 13 episodes is the perfect length for a show like this. I would be elated to hear that they're rushing a second season

Is
Hitler actually the Mithc? Besides the obvious that he's in a castle and has the films, do we know he's the one making/sending them out? He just seemed fascinated by them and not one who was trying to create a rebellion against the nation to me. Maybe I read it all wrong lol

Irminsul

Is
Hitler actually the Mithc? Besides the obvious that he's in a castle and has the films, do we know he's the one making/sending them out? He just seemed fascinated by them and not one who was trying to create a rebellion against the nation to me. Maybe I read it all wrong lol
Well, other people in the Resistance do say that the man in the high castle doesn't actually make the films. That's a misconception Juliana has (even though that's perfectly understandable). The Man just "wants" them. Which of course points even more at him being Hitler.

Just finished the first episode.

Holy shit if this isn't well made. I just love how everything looks. The acting is top notch as well. Pleasantly surprised about the whole thing.

Did not see that twist coming at all. No idea what is going on and I'm glad I didn't read up on anything before I started watching it.

Definitely worth a watch so far.

Rufus Sewell is awesome. Best part of the show for me. A Knights Tale is dope ha.

This. Pacing is a big issue for streaming shows now. Structure is really important when people can watch as many episodes as they want. These shows don't have the same luxury as cable/network shows.

Also
cliffhangers suck when the show has a small episode count and you have to wait a year for the next season. I expected more answers at the end. I thought they spent too much time setting up side stories, that just weren't important.
I think 13 episodes is the perfect length for a show like this. I would be elated to hear that they're rushing a second season

Is

This season took about 10 months to produce, not including the pilot which premiered in January. If it takes another 10 months, and they don't feel the need to have it premiere the same time every year. We could get season 2 in September.

As far as the identity of the MitHC
what if there is more than one? Hitler clearly is a man in a high the Castle. Maybe this is a strategic play on Hitler's part and he is trying to confuse people. I don't know who he would confuse considering only Nazis will see that Castle, but we know so little about Hitler in this world. Well, I hope there is an actual resistance leader anyway.

thenexus6

Is

I think he is. Aside from the obvious - him being in his Castle in the Alps but look at the possible different time lines.

- Our real world Allies win, war ends in 1945. Hitler is dead.
- The shows world, Axis win. Hitler lives in the Castle.
- Then I think I remember Joe saying he saw another film to do with Russia or something. Either way I would guess that Hitler would be dead in this time line too.

He only lives in the time line that takes place during the show.

I think he is. Aside from the obvious - him being in his Castle in the Alps but look at the possible different time lines.

- Our real world Allies win, war ends in 1945. Hitler is dead.
- The shows world, Axis win. Hitler lives in the Castle.
- Then I think I remember Joe saying he saw another film to do with Russia or something. Either way I would guess that Hitler would be dead in this time line too.

He only lives in the time line that takes place during the show.

We have no reason to believe Joe's film wasn't set in our timeline; he watches it while he's in Canon City.

The first film, which Juliana watches, is a collection of unedited newsreel footage showing the Allies in the Pacific. Essentially Allied propaganda.

Joe's film is Soviet propaganda from the 1950s depicting a strong Russia emerging from World War 2. Joe and Juliana don't know whether this is from the same world. To Juliana, the first film made her think that our world was utopian; compared to their world, it is in many ways. After Joe mentions what he saw on his film, they're confused as to whether the films are depicting one world, multiple possible worlds, or just random (and fictional) possibilities.

Hopefully, we learn more of the other films in Hitler's collection. It would be wonderful if Tagomi or another character could travel to multiple parallel worlds.

finished the season
Why doesn't Hitler shake? Has Parkinson been cured in this timeline?

No, Hitler doesn't have Parkinson's. His poor health is a rumor that has been started by the elements within the Nazi Party that want to assassinate him in order to succeed him and start a war with Japan. Hitler actually had no plans besides peace, like the Crown Prince before the attempted assassination.

hom3land

No, Hitler doesn't have Parkinson's. His poor health is a rumor that has been started by the elements within the Nazi Party that want to assassinate him in order to succeed him and start a war with Japan. Hitler actually had no plans besides peace, like the Crown Prince before the attempted assassination.

I was more curious about how the universes worked. Would frank be Jewish in another timeline? In our timeline Hitler had really bad shakes in his left hand to the point it's guessed he had Parkinson. I wonder if the shows Hitler is in good health because of a historical slight by the producers or done on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom