• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

An MSI rep teasing the new, hack-free return to SLI on an AMD platform with 3 GTX 580s running on a 990FXA-GD80.

1920x1200
http://i.imgur.com/ekl5w.jpg

pcIJn.jpg

Oh, and this:

K84KB.jpg

AMD FX-8150, FX-8100, FX-6100 and FX-4100

2rNna.png

m9lkZ.png

·feist· said:
Well, the page has been removed (having been posted too early and all), but the above pictures are still up.

More GA-990FXA-UD7 info below. So much for "Internal Use Only."

9IJBz.jpg
McJM6.jpg

tlrIO.jpg
YvFga.jpg

biuZa.jpg
ykoKd.jpg

xYWCv.jpg
8QFh3.jpg

SqbqP.jpg
opAjM.jpg

4jSsy.jpg
AQHHM.jpg

YuYrY.jpg
tAxbL.jpg

S0WmT.jpg
MmC9d.jpg

UBXV4.jpg
Co5Ai.jpg

Gigabyte, you are ridiculous. And awesome. 4-way CrossFire/SLI support on standard ATX, huh? Somebody better tell Asus, their WS Revolution line of ridiculous motherboards has a new challenger!

Xavien

momolicious said:
why are people waiting for AMD? just buy 2500k and be done!

Did you know that the socket on Intel-based motherboards is not covered by warranty? Thats why I'm going AMD next time, additionally most games are so GPU bound nowadays that if its less powerful than Intels best, it wont matter. Plus the price of Intel-based motherboards is ridiculous.

TheExodu5

Banned
Xavien said:
Did you know that the socket on Intel-based motherboards is not covered by warranty? Thats why I'm going AMD next time, additionally most games are so GPU bound nowadays that if its less powerful than Intels best, it wont matter. Plus the price of Intel-based motherboards is ridiculous.
What are you doing to your sockets?

Xavien said:

150 dollars for a mobo is not "ridiculous"

Xavien

TheExodu5 said:
What are you doing to your sockets?

Nothing, but have you seen the sockets themselves? tiny pins pushed against a flat surface, if the socket has a defect or a pin is in the wrong place, your motherboard is recked and maybe your processor and you have no warranty to show for it. Theres a reason motherboard manufacturers don't have any warranty for the sockets. Finally, there have a few defects in LGA sockets (Foxconn ones) that overtightened the pins when you put in a processor making them touch each other, causing a short circuit. This is why i much prefer the older socket system which AMD still uses.

YuriLowell said:
150 dollars for a mobo is not "ridiculous"

In the UK £125 for an average standard ATX intel motherboard is ridiculous. For the same price i could get a top-end AMD motherboard with considerably more features.

Also i have a Core i7 in my PC right now (for those who may think i lean over to AMD's side of the fence) and haven't had an AMD processor since the time of the X2's.

TheExodu5

Banned
Xavien said:
Nothing, but have you seen the sockets themselves? tiny pins pushed against a flat surface, if the socket has a defect or a pin is in the wrong place, your motherboard is recked and maybe your processor and you have no warranty to show for it. Theres a reason motherboard manufacturers don't have any warranty for the sockets. Finally, there have a few defects in LGA sockets (Foxconn ones) that overtightened the pins when you put in a processor making them touch each other, causing a short circuit. This is why i much prefer the older socket system which AMD still uses.

And in the case of AMD sockets, you can break pins right off!

Seriously...I really don't see this is a selling or breaking point. Installing a CPU correctly is not difficult, and I haven't heard of anyone having an issue like this.

Furthermore, if your motherboard is deffective in that the sockets don't line up, I am certain they will cover it. If they don't, then whatever store you bought it from will take an RMA regardless of the manufacturer's warranty.

Xavien

TheExodu5 said:
And in the case of AMD sockets, you can break pins right off!

Seriously...I really don't see this is a selling or breaking point. Installing a CPU correctly is not difficult, and I haven't heard of anyone having an issue like this.

Furthermore, if your motherboard is deffective in that the sockets don't line up, I am certain they will cover it. If they don't, then whatever store you bought it from will take an RMA regardless of the manufacturer's warranty.

Believe me i've tried to get an RMA from a retailer in the case of two defective sockets (from my business), they will not take it if the socket is at fault in any way. Installing the CPU correctly is not the issue, the issue is that with the older method, its easy to see if pins are bent (plus i cant see how you could bend the pins on the processor), the new method makes it rather hard, which means you only find out if the pins are poorly made after installation and subsequent burn marks on the CPU/Motherboard pins. Additionally, there was no reason to change the socket to LGA in the first place.

I've yet to figure out how to break the pins off under the old method, I'm sure you could, but it would take some major force :O. You have to admit LGA has a rather bad flaw in its premise, if the socket is too tight on the CPU (like i said from a defective socket), the pins will touch.

Admit it, pins into holes is more secure than pins resting on a plate.

Avtomat

FX-8130 is due to come out in June the FX-8150 listed above is a later product, Q4 as another poster said above.

ps - The following is my opinion only but if your primary intent is to game and are waiting for this I have a feeling you will be disappointed.

Computex begins in a few days, and then E3 shortly after that.

Between the two, there should be greater clarity as to what's going on with both desktop sockets as well as the mobile platforms. At the minimum, there will have to be official timeline estimates, if not exact dates, performance, and price.

Sandy Bridge-E is due relatively soon, and Ivy Bridge shortly after that. Even prior to the Tri-Gate announcement I've been saying that it would take a feat of engineering for AMD to match IB on performance per watt. Add to that, improvements in leakage, process, Quick Sync and other advancements, and AMD simply has to deliver a compelling product. I don't mean any of that "lulz, bulldoze Intel" nonsense that some are spewing, either.

To their benefit, and that of users, AMD will offer CPUs and motherboards that don't have the strict, artificial limitations that Intel has imposed, which is one of many reasons valid competition is so important.

Computex 2011 ~ May 31-June 4
E3 2011 ~ June 7-9
AMD Fusion Developer Summit (AFDS) 2011 ~ June 13-16

Computex
http://www.amdcomputex.com.tw/

AMD Fusion Developer Summit (AFDS)
http://developer.amd.com/afds/pages/default.aspx

cSrKa.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ryoma-Echizen said:
FX-8150 is not a launch CPU. AMD will release 4 FX cpu's in June and 4 new models in Q4(that's the FX-8150 info).

Ah, right. Cheers. :)

clav

I'm in the party with pins is more secure and a better design.

The no pin design is to save costs, and you know it.

Actually, the no-pin design is because Intel determined that putting the pins on the socket, not the CPU, is actually safer. Which it is, now you can't destroy your CPU by breaking a pin off it. The motherboard offers much more protection for the pins than the CPU did. It makes 100% sense to me why Intel moved the pins from the CPU to the socket.

UD5

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 AMD990FX ATX AM3+ DDR3 2PCI-16 3PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61546&vpn=GA-990FXA-UD5&manufacture=Gigabyte
Reg. Price: $199.99 CAD

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX DDR3 AM3
http://www.aquilatech.co.[U]nz[/U]/productDetail.asp?idProduct=MGA081
Your Price: $306.90 (GST excl)
RRP: $390.43 (GST excl)
Saving: $83.53 (GST excl)

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX DDR3 AM3
http://www.computerstore.co.nz/GA-990FXA-UD5.aspx
$320.85 excl GST

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 - ATX / AMD 990FX / DDR3 / 2xPCI-E / SATA 3.0 / USB 3.0
http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/1...5-atx-amd_990fx-ddr3-2xpci-e-sata_3.0-usb_3.0
1590 kr

momolicious said:
the 2500k is already not that expensive at 180
You say that as if that deal is readily available for all.

Most Americans can't get it for that price, let alone the rest of the world.

AMD Officially Denies Bulldozer Delay, But...
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/5/26/amd-officially-denies-bulldozer-delay2c-but.aspx

In the recent days, numerous motherboard makers from Taiwan started to leak a lot of information about motherboards using the upcoming AMD 9-series chipsets which are meant to complement upcoming AMD FX CPUs based on the Bulldozer core. In order to create a halo effect, high-end 990FX based products are highlighted. Earlier NVIDIA spilled the beans on the upcoming chipsets from AMD stating that they'll support SLI on the upcoming 990FX, 990X and 970 chipsets.
Contrary to other upcoming products of AMD, the press has not been sampled with Bulldozer yet and not been informed about an official launch date of the high-end CPU either. Sites such as HardOCP commented:

"We are hoping to show Bulldozer to the public at a HardOCP/AMD event in July."
In AMDs 1Q 2011 earnings call Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President and General Manager at AMD when questioned about the launch dates of different Bulldozer-based products noted that:

"...we indicated early summer for desktops and late summer for servers. And that's still where we're at."

In order to get to the bottom of this story, we have contacted Mr. Drew Prairie and Mr. Steve Howard, AMD's PR representatives close to heart of the matter. We inquired about the statement Rick Bergman made and received the following answer:

"Our public roadmap has not changed."

more...

Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H - FM1

Gigabyte-llano-apu-matx-2.jpg

Gigabyte-llano-apu-matx-8.jpg

Gigabyte-llano-apu-matx-1.jpg

Gigabyte-llano-apu-matx-12.jpg

14 hi-res pics & info:

First Look: Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H
http://ghz.gr/forum_topic/first-look-gigabyte-ga-a75-ud2h

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Our roadmap has not changed? What does that even mean AMD when we have no real info!

I'm still hoping for a June / July release anything later and they are pushing it since SB-E is due soon.

Guess we find out in 2 weeks.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
btw feist, do you in any way shape or form work with reviewing/testing/work with/etc computer components? You too live in sweden correct?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If it really is delayed, AMD is in a tough spot if tri-gate even manages 20% of what it is promising. Aghhhh.

Thoraxes

I guess my only question(s) is: They emphasize that each core is physically (hardware) capable of multithreading. How is this different from what Intel already does, and is Intel's multithreading just a virtualization that works and not built into the hardware itself?

So when it's an 8-core Bulldozer, is it actually going to come up as 16 threads, beacuase each core is physically multithreaded?

I'm just a little confused on the hype is all because i'm pretty sure there's a couple things I don't understand. Also this is the first time i've even looked at and information regarding Bulldozer.

Also, will they be releasing a 4-core lineup running on the Bulldozer schematics?

MSIMagus

Neo Member
If it is delayed that really sucks! Iv been wanting to build a new PC for some time and was hoping that bulldozer would come out and drive the price on sandy bridge down. Means that most likely I am either going to have to wait longer to get a new PC or pay higher prices...

Datschge

Thoraxes said:
I guess my only question(s) is: They emphasize that each core is physically (hardware) capable of multithreading. How is this different from what Intel already does, and is Intel's multithreading just a virtualization that works and not built into the hardware itself?
Intel's hyperthreading allows two threads to run at once on one physical core. The idea is to make better use of the CPU while one thread is waiting for other stuff (IO etc.). If the core is at full use anyway hyperthreading can actually have an averse effect though.

AMD's bulldozer design stems from the idea that most common workload is integer based, so they let two integer units share one float unit. Compared to Intel this means a form of hyperthreading is only done on the float unit while every reported core refers to a physical integer core. So with bulldozer CPUs the amount of cores refer to the amount of physical integer units, the amount of float units will be half of that.

sk3tch

I just ordered a Brazos-based E-350 Lenovo Thinkpad X120e - should I cancel the order and wait for the newer/batter AMD Fusion processors? I spent $450 for it (4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM, Bluetooth, Win7 Pro 64)...and they said it won't ship for 4+ weeks (maybe that's indicative of a new platform??)...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
While not bulldozer, the Llano laptop 3dmark vantage scores have leaked by the looks of it. Looks like these could be awesome laptops.

Stolen from various places!

Official numbers for AMD Llano in 3DMark Vantage
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...-numbers-for-amd-llano-in-3dmark-vantage.html

Mobile Llano versions (on development motherboards) against the Bobcat-based E-350.

A8-3510MX
=> 4-core at 1.8Ghz; Turbo: 2.5Ghz
=> IGP: Radeon HD 6620G (400 stream processors at 444MHz)
=> 45W TDP
=> 3DMark Vantage: 2842

A6-3410MX
=> 4-core at 1.6Ghz; Turbo: 2.3Ghz
=> IGP: Radeon HD 6520G (320 stream processors at 400MHz)
=> 45W TDP
=> 3DMark Vantage: 1882

A4-3300M
=> 2-core at 1.9Ghz; Turbo: 2.5Ghz
=> IGP: Radeon HD 6480G (160 stream processors at 444MHz)
=> 35W TDP
=> 3DMark Vantage: 1625

E-350
=> 2-core at 1.6Ghz
=> IGP: Radeon HD 6310 (80 stream processors at 500MHz)
=> 18W TDP
=> 3DMark Vantage: 670

To compare (and get an idea) against Intel's HD Graphics 3000 in Sandy Bridge line.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.htmll
Core i5 2500K => 3DMark Vantage: 1721
Core i7 2600K => 3DMark Vantage: 2164

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
More bulldozer information, Rumours at best. The information comes from this site - http://wccftech.com/2011/05/28/amd-...i-fx-processors-launch-scheduled-for-q3-2011/

We already detailed you couple of details on the current upcoming lineup consisting of FX Series (8130P, 8110, 6110, 4110) Processors and now we have a leaked roadmap from AMD which shows that more processors will be arriving in the Second half of 2011.

The new processors would include Four new FX processors, As detailed in the roadmap Engineering samples are already available so we can expect a few benchmarks to come up shortly. Production would start in August 2011 while Retail availability is expected in Q3 2011. This could also mean that the Launch for the current lineup won’t be delayed much further than the original June-July Launch. The new processors would include AMD FX 8150 , FX 8100 AMD (8 cores), AMD FX 6100 (6-core) and AMD FX 4100 (4-cores) . Detailed specs below:

FX-8150, 8 Core, 125W, 8MB L2 Cache, 32Nm, DDR3 1866+ support
FX-8100, 8 Core, 95W, 8MB L2 Cache, 32Nm, DDR3 1866+ support
FX-6100, 6 Core, 95W, 6MB L2 Cache, 32Nm, DDR3 1866+ support
FX-4100, 4 Core, 95W, 4MB L2 Cache, 32Nm, DDR3 1866+ support

The new processors are most likely to come with higher clock speeds than the currently FX-8130P (3.8Ghz/T.C 4.2Ghz). Featuring the same amount of TDP, Core count and DDR3 memory support as their respective first gen model, The would be priced same of a bit higher than the current lineup revealed here and would also feature an Exclusive Black Edition Overclock technology.

evlcookie said:
While not bulldozer, the Llano laptop 3dmark vantage scores have leaked by the looks of it. Looks like these could be awesome laptops.

It should be noted those are mobile versions of Llano and the Sandybridge 3D Mark numbers you quoted are from desktop versions. The mobile i7 from the same site only scores a 1387.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good power usage. If those MB prices are real then I do think they are a little on the high side but new tech and all that jazz :p

Izayoi said:
Do those Gigabyte boards not support UEFI?
They have Gigabyte's "Hybrid EFI," so it's BIOS along with an EFI layer. You get things like 3TB HDD support (no workarounds needed), for instance, but no new-style EFI/UEFI GUI like you get with Asus and others.

Seems they won't be implementing their full blown TouchBIOS GUI, which you'll find on some newer Intel chipset Gigabyte boards.

Corky said:
btw feist, do you in any way shape or form work with reviewing/testing/work with/etc computer components? You too live in sweden correct?
Ha, it that because of all the stuff I've posted in the PC threads over the years? Just an avid enthusiast, looking to help others and give a heads up where I can. I do have some friends...
Haven't been to Sweden, but it's on my list.

a176 said:
From the gigabyte overview pages, it seems 990FX does not have native USB3 support
Unfortunately, the 9-series chipset, AM3+ socket, and Fusion FM1 parts are a bit of an incomplete solution in their own ways. Which is why, for some time now, many have wondered what their shelf life will be. We already know the desktop Fusion CPUs will transition over to Bulldozer cores.

Native USB 3 on D3 FM1 is odd.

oEVmc.png

sk3tch said:
I just ordered a Brazos-based E-350 Lenovo Thinkpad X120e - should I cancel the order and wait for the newer/batter AMD Fusion processors? I spent $450 for it (4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM, Bluetooth, Win7 Pro 64)...and they said it won't ship for 4+ weeks (maybe that's indicative of a new platform??)...
The low end A-series options shouldn't be that much more expensive, and the CPUs will be more capable, at the expense of consumption. You'll be hard pressed to find the overall price/performance/consumption that and E350 gives you for equal or less. Comparable Intels cost more.

Some laptops have begun going up at retailers.

590€ - HP Pavilion dv6-6110sg
AMD A6-3410MX + Radeon HD 6750M
http://www.passiontec.de/_fenster.p...9092fa085f497c44728ec3129eb98d2&affId=1376965

JRuwv.jpg

AMD A-Series & E2-Series Mobile Fusion APUs
A8-3530MX
A8-3510MX
A8-3500M
A6-3410MX
A6-3400M
A4-3310MX
A4-3300M
E2-3000M

cWeRx.jpg

evlcookie said:

8EsrE.jpg

IchigoSharingan said:
I second what feist said.

Besides, why not an 8 core BD for probably 30 bucks more expensive? :D

Because BD isn't really 8 cores? 8 integer units + 4 FPUs does not equal 8 cores, no matter what the marketing bullshit claims. When you are running an FP-heavy workload, "8-core" BD behaves just like a 4-core CPU, because it has 4 FPUs.

Let me clear about this.

These are FP-heavy workloads:
- Games
- Photoshop
- Video decoding and encoding

These are integer-heavy workloads:
- Windows
- Microsoft Office
- IE/Firefox/Chrome/Opera
- Email client

Someone tell me again what good having 8 integer units is again, for workloads that matter to you, me, and anybody else who actually uses computers for more than just surfing the web?

Top Bottom