• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Financial Day 2020 [OT] PS. 5 Goddamn Hours Long

Are you being serious? This sort of thing happens at the start of every console generation. PC gamers aren't any better, they have meltdowns with each other every 14-16 months now over CPUs and graphic cards.

The conversation starts with what the fanboy's platform of choice has, and proceeds with what the other platforms DON'T have. There's nothing new or shocking about this shit.

The thing is I KNEW that graph and AMD's statements about RDNA2 weren't going to be good enough for some people around here. They're going to deny it until Sony makes it official.

I'm really hoping Sony will put alot of this stuff to bed soon because the 13-14TF runaway train is just as bad as Xbox fanboy denial.

Naw it's not anywhere near as bad. AMD has pretty much confirmed PS5 will have RDNA2. the 13 teraflops rumor has been pushed by verified insiders.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn, sad to see Zen3 and RDNA2 (formerly "Next-Gen") still on 7nm, those were announced as 7nm+ previously.
Matt:
...the clarification bit was: Mark on on your slides; I think in he past you guys had talked about Zen 3 being on 7[nm]+, and you talked today about it being on 7[nm]. Maybe you could just clarify if that's a nomenclature change or if that's an actual change in architecture?

Mark:
Matt the clarification is in fact nomenclature, as you said

Not really. Most insiders claim it sits around 11. 12 at most. 13 or higher is not likely.

Didn't benji, klee and BG say more powerful then xbox X series? I personally think it's gonna be 11-12 max, but i can see why some sony fans believe 13 might be true although unlikely imo.

Leonidas

Matt:

Mark:

You're quoting my initial response before learning additional info...
I posted the vid version of that on the prior page, and am still disappointed as many places falsely reported EUV for RDNA2 in previous years because of the confusion of AMD slides (7nm+) vs. TSMC (N7+)...

:pie_thinking:

My brain hurts.

Nothing's changed since what I posted on the previous page.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I posted the vid version of that on the prior page, that was my initial response, but I am still disappointed as many places falsely reported EUV for RDNA2 in previous years because of the confusion of AMD 7nm+ vs. TSMC N7+...
I created that video. You are chasing waterfalls, imo. As far as AMD and TSMC have stated, nothing has changed except naming convention.

Leonidas

I created that video. You are chasing waterfalls, imo. As far as AMD and TSMC have stated, nothing has changed except naming convention.

Many places falsely reported AMD 7nm+ as having EUV because N7+ has EUV. New naming convention was to reduce confusion but it's clear at this point confusion still exists.

There is no EUV for RDNA2.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There is no EUV for RDNA2.
In speaking with AMD, the company confirmed that its next generations of 7nm products are likely to use process enhancements and the best high-performance libraries for the target market, however it is not explicitly stating whether this would be N7P or N7+, just that it will be ‘better’ than the base N7 used in its first 7nm line.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that AMD isn’t going to be using EUV in the future – we were told it will be on a case by case basis, and at this time they wanted to clarify that AMD is not making any specific clarifications of which version of 7nm from TSMC it plans to use.

AMD has not internally change plans for the architecture those products were to be on, simply the naming convention. Your link states that it doesn't mean AMD isn't going to be using EUV, and they are not making specific clarifications which version it plans to use. In other words, you and anandtech are no further along than when you started. Just have to wait and see.

I'll let you have the last word.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What's going on in here?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Matt:

Mark:

So... is he stating this is what AMD themselves have said? And if so does that mean the systems are actually on EUV after all?

Because reading the other posts it sounds like it's the latter, which would also explain the efficiency gains they've stated (don't think they could reach that number by simply doing some architectural changes but staying on the same process node as RDNA1).

Great, what the hell xD. Okay maybe THIS clarifies that up for good. Jeez, AMD 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So... is he stating this is what AMD themselves have said? And if so does that mean the systems are actually on EUV after all?

Because reading the other posts it sounds like it's the latter, which would also explain the efficiency gains they've stated (don't think they could reach that number by simply doing some architectural changes but staying on the same process node as RDNA1).
AMD stated that it is was it was all along. The discussion with Leonidas is concerning EUV, which is not as clear cut. He linked a statement from Anandtech. However, the only thing we can do is wait for further clarification. In the same manner, I've even seen mention that Navi 10 is already N7P, with links to AMDs own statement. We'll see. If it performs as good or better than Intel and Nvidia concerning bang-for-buck, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
*yawn*
You cannot handle any type of come back.
Keep crying to mods or what ever any way.
Nah I just dont get down with bashing or hate. I haven't even spoken to you so you feel some type of way. You started this conversation with me. I will always report abuse or hate to the mods. You want to go toe to toe about anything else then we can do that. Now back off. I'm serious. I just cant handle ignorant or homophobic slurs.

V4skunk

Banned
Nah I just dont get down with bashing or hate. I haven't even spoken to you so you feel some type of way. You started this conversation with me. I will always report abuse or hate to the mods. You want to go toe to toe about anything else then we can do that. Now back off. I'm serious. I just cant handle ignorant or homophobic slurs.
I'm not homophobic.
I'm just making a point to you, that you should let people argue. There is no need to report any one unless they are slandering you.
You defended your self against that kojima guy and it is obvious your username says therapist and not the rapist. I guarantee most people who read this thread thought kojima guy was being a bit of cock. Just no need to go for bans or what ever.
I just like a free forum for all. This place cannot go in the direction reeee.

I'm not homophobic.
I'm just making a point to you, that you should let people argue. There is no need to report any one unless they are slandering you.
You defended your self against that kojima guy and it is obvious your username says therapist and not the rapist. I guarantee most people who read this thread thought kojima guy was being a bit of cock. Just no need to go for bans or what ever.
I just like a free forum for all. This place cannot go in the direction reeee.

I don't even support LGQBT, but that Kojima guy was pushing it, and it's not a good look for the forum imo.

thelastword

Banned
Daaang looks like the 360 sold double than the XB1...
If you exclude RROD defective units, it's about the same...….
AMD is calling 7nm+ EUV, just 7nm now. Probably an easier name convention. They confirmed in the Q&A that it will be on 7nm+.
That is what I am talking about. They are saying RDNA2 with 7nm is just a nomenclature change and that it is still associated with 7nm+ "in their roadmaps", no?

That "7nm actually has encompassed with several diffent grades, shall we say, with its development so we matched up."

How else were they able to get an additional 50% efficiency over the current 7nm on the RDNA part? Sounds to me like they are encompassing all 7nm grades under one term.
Don't know why these posts didn't get more love......I've already posted quotes that these new products are on 7nm+ in two other threads....This argument is just like the Sony is on RDNA posts......When they said it has hardware raytracing.......7nm+ is still under the 7nm moniker they can say 7nm if they want to...

According to the roadmap shared by AMD, the RDNA2 GPUs would feature three key features that will be part of the new GPU architecture. First and foremost is the performance per watt increase which is due to a number of reasons. AMD will be shifting from TSMC's 7nm process to the more advanced 7nm process node. The new process node itself increases transistor efficiency on the new GPUs while decreasing its overall size, allowing AMD to cram more performance in a much smaller package.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-navi-2x-rdna2-gpus-2x-performance-ray-tracing-2020-launch/

Top Bottom