• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 300 series (possible) specs

wachie

3Dcenter is quite reliable and they have their sources with some of the graphic card vendors, so I believe this (at least the Fiji spec) to be decently reliable.

Radeon R9 395X2 “Bermuda”

Starting with Bermuda. You probably heard this name before, but no one was certain if Bermuda is the actual flagship GPU or something else. Well as a matter of fact Bermuda could actually be the Vesuvius successor (R9 295X2). Radeon R9 395X2 would be a direct competitor to rumored GTX 990 (likely dual-GM204).

Radeon R9 390(X) “Fiji”

According to 3DCenter, Fiji is “confirmed” as next flagship GPU. The R9 390X will likely be powered by Fiji XT, whereas R9 390 with Fiji PRO. Fiji-powered graphics cards are said to be the first with High-Bandwidth-Memory on board. NVIDIA will possibly adopt HBM with Pascal, so we are looking at months, or maybe even years, of AMD leadership in this technology.

Radeon R9 380(X) “Grenada”

I think it was quite obvious Hawaii, which was released in late 2013, would not be forgotten in upcoming 300 series. The rumor has it that Hawaii will be renamed to Grenada. Does it mean architectural changes? Likely not, but we expect Grenada to be more power efficient, and configured with higher clock speeds.

Radeon R9 370(X) “Tonga”

Tonga was first released with Radeon R9 285. AMD had plans to release R9 285X (this is not a rumor), however due to GTX 970 announcement, those plans had to be changed. The full Tonga is actually equipped with 384-bit interface, so R9 370X should launch with 3GB on board. We are looking at potential GM206 competitor here.

Radeon R7 360(X) “Trinidad”

Trinidad is Curacao (Pitcairn) replacement expected to launch with Radeon R7 360 series. The only information we have is limited to memory configuration of 256-bit and 2GB frame buffer. Additionally, Trinidad may be the first card of Radeon 300 series, as it’s currently planned for March (according to VR-Zone).

3DCenter via Videocardz

Bing translation of the table (Right column labelled source of information is)
1. General thinking in 3dcenter forums for 395X2
2. Graphics cards = Information from Graphics card manufacturer
3. Own speculation = well own speculation
4. VR-Zone rumor
tabryums.png

Holy crap at the 395x2 specs. How much will that monster cost?

Only the 380 and 390 in that table have any legitimacy , ignore the 295 and 270 etc 'info' it's just baseless speculation and their guess is as good as yours or mine.

on topic: Here's hoping the 390 info is accurate and that amd price is "reasonable" (<500 euros) because these gpus, their price and their success at that price will set the prices and performance for the next nvidia gpus.

If that 390x has a 750 euro msrp and actually sells then expect another 2 years of no value for your dollar

Oh god I hope they don't rebrand the 290X into the 380X, imagine the utter clusterfuck when something supports GCN 1.3 and 1.2, but not 1.1, not to mention GCN 1.2 and 1.3 are supposed to have drastically improved tessellation performance, so imagine consumer perception when a game performs better on the 370X over a 380 due to that.

VoxPop

Hm after hearing all the shit news about the 970, I guess I can wait to get a new PC along with a 390/390x. 395 seems pretty insane

SURGEdude

Bring it on. Happy with my 290, but I'd love these specs.

Anybody have a list of difference between GCN 1.1, 1.2, 1.3?

These are nothing more than fan speculation. There's very little actual trustworthy information out there. Most things point towards a release of Fiji in Q2 that probably has HBM memory used. Other than that the rest is fanboy fantasy with little to back it up.

FLAguy954

Will sell my 290 for some of dat HBM (390 here I come).

I just hope the 390 (non-X) isn't priced more than $400.

maneil99

Only reason I look forward to AMD is because it means NVidia will respond with their own GPUs, anyone that values their time and patience knows AMD drivers are a joke

Jamex RZ

Banned
Only reason I look forward to AMD is because it means NVidia will respond with their own GPUs, anyone that values their time and patience knows AMD drivers are a joke

Is this still a thing? Haven't had any problems with my AMD card and it's drivers at all for a while. &#128533;

The only people complaining about AMD drivers, are people that don't currently own AMD.

The latest Omega drivers, with features like built in super sampling etc are amazing and have given me zero problems on my 290x. My problem? I have a reference 290x that sounds like a wind tunnel under full load, but doesn't really bother me with headphones on.

I hadn't had problems with AMD drivers since like '10.

AMD and Nvidia drivers are perfectly stable these days. AMD is more stable than ever after changing their driver release schedule.

R9 370 will have 2/4 gb options? Neat.
I only have the budget to aim for 380 though. It would be sufficient enough for the entire console generation anyway.

wachie

This bit was interesting;
Fiji-powered graphics cards are said to be the first with High-Bandwidth-Memory on board. NVIDIA will possibly adopt HBM with Pascal, so we are looking at months, or maybe even years, of AMD leadership in this technology
It's obvious AMD is co-developing HBM and they will be the first but years ahead is probably not great either.

maneil99

Drive-by garbage.

Nowadays PC performance threads see comparable share of problems both sides.

You mean besides the fact AMD hasn't released a driver update in 2 months? Or the fact they shut down the twitter they used to use for communications. Tons of games have released in two month span.

Lol I thought this was over with long ago, anyways those are coming just in time for Witcher 3. Not sure my 680 is up to the challenge to handle that.

Also, what are the main benefits of HBM compared to what's available today?

Renekton

You mean besides the fact AMD hasn't released a driver update in 2 months? Or the fact they shut down the twitter they used to use for communications. Tons of games have released in two month span.
Do those games have major problems that require HW vendor update, or are you tunneling on update frequency as a core metric?

Yeah, those tons of games that have released in the last two month span won't run on AMD gpus, definitely.

Renekton

Not aswell as they should and I can bet atleast a few have CFX profiles that they need
Is the performance tuning on developer side issue or driver/HW, or are you tunneling purely on frequency as a core metric to make a vendor look worse?

BPoole

I don't k of enough about specs to judge how big of a jump the 390 is over the 290. Would it be worth the upgrade?

wachie

I don't k of enough about specs to judge how big of a jump the 390 is over the 290. Would it be worth the upgrade?
It would be similar jump as 7970 -> 290X in terms of specs (compute units) but we dont know how it'll scale performance wise.

maneil99

Is the performance tuning on developer side issue or driver/HW, or are you tunneling purely on frequency as a core metric to make a vendor look worse?

Well when one side releases drivers that improve performance for a game you would assume the other side can do the same

Ac30

If those 390 non-X specs are true, that'll be insane value for money if they're priced like the 290 and 290x were -- you lose only 200 shader cores for a card that's $150 cheaper :O

EDIT: Also Maneil99, I had more problems with Nvidia when I owned dual 570's then I ever did with my 290. AMD's drivers have been good for a longgggg while now. Hell, Nvidia took the time to disable overclocking on Maxwell laptop GPUs with the last 2 drivers, I was so pleased to find that out.

Renekton

Well when one side releases drivers that improve performance for a game you would assume the other side can do the same
Again, do you know if the performance gain is from developer coding for a stable driver version/featureset or is there a driver defect for game use cases that should be rectified? Or are you simply tunnelling on frequency as a metric?

If those 380 and 390 specs are true, how do they compare to Nvidia's current lineup?

The 380X will basically be a 290X, probably a new revision of the same chip or even the same chip. So the same. It remains to be seen if AMD does a significant revision that improves efficiency/clocks, that sometimes happen. It could also be a port of the design onto GloFo's node instead of TSMC's, but I doubt it. Roughly the same performance as a 970.

The 390X with those specs is significantly faster than anything on the market right now.

Drazgul

EDIT: Also Maneil99, I had more problems with Nvidia when I owned dual 570's then I ever did with my 290. AMD's drivers have been good for a longgggg while now. Hell, Nvidia took the time to disable overclocking on Maxwell laptop GPUs with the last 2 drivers, I was so pleased to find that out.

That's not exactly a fair comparison though, multi-card setups always have more problems than single card. Which is why I never bother with SLI/CF.

Driver-wise both are IMO equal these days; neither are perfect. I still like Nvidia's software a lot better, though - but that's a minor consideration unless you make heavy use of things like Shadowplay.

Fularu

Banned

In every single thread

At this point one has to wonder why those comments aren't a bannable offence when they'Re mostly used by nVidia fanboys still hung up on how the drivers were 10 years ago

Bashtee

Depends on what you play and how you play. 1080p? Don't even bother (+20-30% more perf.). Above that (including Super-Sampling)? Might see a bigger difference (+40-50% perf.). That would be the expected jump in performance. However, new technology being used here, we don't know how it will scale at all.

jfoul

I see people drop this in AMD threads all the time. I must be lucky to have minimal issues with AMD/ATI & Nvidia drivers over the past 18 years. I have of course had some issues with games at launch with both Red and Green team. I have a large variety of games (300+) that have ran really well across my Radeon 7950, Radeon R9 290X, Geforce GTX 780, Geforce GTX 970, and even my Radeon 4670.

jfoul

What's with the rebranding bullshit?

I'm okay with a refined R9 290/290X, it's already a great Midlow - Midrange card. The rebates and great deals on the 290/290X are similar to 7950/7970 deals before the 280/280X release. I'll look into this card for my wife's PC, and the 390/390X to replace my GTX 970.

GHG

Not aswell as they should and I can bet atleast a few have CFX profiles that they need

See what you are doing here. You are betting, guessing,assuming that these problems exist because of your preconceived notions.

If you are going to come and shit up a thread like this then at least bring some evidence to the table. Its not like PC gaming is an industry where benchmarks are hard to come by.

So in the last 2 months, which games exactly have these "problems" that you are talking about? Crossfire and all.

jfoul

What bandwidth expected from 390?

TechPowerUp:
"The only truly new silicon with the R9 300 series, is "Fiji." This chip will be designed to drive AMD's high-end single- and dual-GPU graphics cards, and will be built to compete with the GM200 silicon from NVIDIA, and the GeForce GTX TITAN-X it will debut with. This chip features 4,096 stream processors based on the GCN 1.3 architecture - double that of "Tonga," 256 TMUs, 128 ROPs, and a 1024-bit wide HBM memory interface, offering 640 GB/s of memory bandwidth. 4 GB could be the standard memory amount. The three cards AMD will carve out of this silicon, are the R9 390, the R9 390X, and the R9 390X2."

Of course this is all rumor, but I think the leaks are probably close to what the 390 is going to be. I just hope AMD nails the reference cooler this time, and has AIB partners ready to go earlier. With AMD having a head start with HBM, they have a real opportunity to really stick it to Nvidia that will bring fierce competition and price cuts.

AMD just needs to do is stick the landing. pls AMD.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ya know, I don't think AMD having stacked memory for even 6-12 months ahead of Nvidia is going to matter much in the long run. It may get some enthusiasts excited, but if the main advantages of stacked memory aren't seen for a little while anyways, and the best they can manage with it is 4GB in the beginning, its not necessarily *that* enticing and gives Nvidia plenty of time to play catch up and jump back in once things start rolling.

And really, to hear these cards aren't likely to be any better than 4GB is quite disappointing in general. I still haven't returned my 970 and I'm starting to wonder whether I should.

Top Bottom