• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 590. Reviews on 11/15. $279 "Overclocked RX 580". Games Bundled.

llien

I fail to see the logic where paying up to 75% more for 10% more performance
It is paying 10-20% more for 10%+ performance.
And, yeah, 1060 is overpriced, and it's not nvidia's fault, it's rather large number of customers not voting with wallet fault, or some company being quite good at muddling waters, perhaps.

What would you suggest?
590 is officially launching today, so wait a bit.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I think i'll skip the 590, as I currently have the 580 and don't see the need to upgrade for that price. If the price drops enough, I might go for it,

What would you suggest?
If you can find Vega 56 at hinted $350 that it's way better choice and it's not even close. 590 price looks silly.

For example 590 can't even hold steady 60fps in Tomb raider shadow at 1080p:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9RL1ovODEwOTcxL29yaWdpbmFsL1NoYWRvdy1vZi10aGUtVG9tYi1SYWlkZXItRlBTLTE5MjB4MTA4MC1EWDEyLVRBQS1IaWdoZXN0LnBuZw==

You are just cherry picking, a known form of fallacious argument. See, I could also pick a game like Kingdom Come and claim that this isn´t even a good 1080p card:

1080_vega.png

The other stuff you mention about the xbox X is not relevant to the argument at all, performance is not related to your feelings about things like paid multiplayer and stuff. Which another form of fallacious argument (Red Herring), so you can see how much sense you are making.
I'm not cherry picking. A $600-$700 PC such as the one linked that is far more capable tends to run 4K games at comparable settings or even higher settings better than the Xbox One X across the board, and that's despite not being able to optimize for a single spec and the general lack of DX12/Vulkan compatibility at this time where we see huge performance gains when it's used properly.

Also paid multiplayer and the generally poorer deals on video games is always relevant to the discussion of value/performance is mentioned in regards to consoles. You get what you pay for and you especially pay for what you don't upfront in both the short and long term. Not to mention backwards compatibility spanning 40+ years (where we don't have to port beg).

Last edited:

Leonidas

OP updating with reviews.

It is paying 10-20% more for 10%+ performance.

40-75% higher price. 590 is $279 on Newegg. 580 is $160-$200 for more models than the 590 is $279. Stop the damn damage controlling.
10% higher performance(shrinks to ~3% or less with both cards overclocked)
garbage performance per watt(guzzles twice the wattage their competitors card in the price range).

There is no defending the card at $279. This card should have been $229/$239 like the RX 480/580. 480 to 580 we saw similar gains and they dropped price. Now they raise the price by $50?

oxfnuBf.jpg

VIMnhFx.jpg

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
OP updating with reviews.

40-75% higher price. 590 is $279 on Newegg. 580 is $160-$200 for more models than the 590 is $279. Stop the damn damage controlling.
10% higher performance(shrinks to ~3% or less with both cards overclocked)
garbage performance per watt(guzzles twice the wattage their competitors card in the price range).

There is no defending the card at $279. This card should have been $229/$239 like the RX 480/580. 480 to 580 we saw similar gains and they dropped price. Now they raise the price by $50?

oxfnuBf.jpg

VIMnhFx.jpg

Not how it works a gtx 1060 cost the same and this beats it.

Leonidas

Not how it works a gtx 1060 cost the same and this beats it.

590 vs. 1060
590 wins in performance only(10% higher vs. stock reference 1060)
1060 wins in overclocking headroom(both overclocked the difference is much less than 10%)
1060 wins in price/performance(slight)
1060 wins in performance/watt(massive)
1060 wins in power consumption(half the wattage for 90% of the frames at stock)
1060 wins in form factors(590s are ginormous, while 1060 can fit in small cases with ease).

1060 wins in most areas while being 2.5 years old...

580 vs. 590
590 wins in stock performance only(10% higher than stock reference 580)
580 wins in overclocking headroom(which can put it on par with 590 at $80-$100 cheaper for 8 GB cards)
580 wins in price/performance(major difference)
580 wins in performance/watt(very slight)
580 wins in power consumption(slight)

AMD has failed to beat 1060 with the 590. The old AMD cards are great value right now though as they are much better value compared to the 590 and 1060(as long as you don't care about power draw and don't have strict GPU size requirements).

Last edited:
This is absolutly insane - improved 12nm process and they have slightly more than 1060 performance while almost matching 1080ti power usage, even when comparing to other AMD products it's close to older Vega 56.

power_average.png

thelastword

Banned
Rx580 beats Gtx1060, you can get a 580 for $199.00 from many vendors, yes they're on sale due to BF, but the last few months RX 580 has been cheaper than 1060 by far....at least $40 cheaper on average....Even with BF deals, spot the differences across many manufacturers for the two cards...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Description=rx+580&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ption=gtx+1060+6gb&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

So it's like this....580 has 8GB and has the lead over 1060 in performance, it's cheaper also and has more ram, AMD already won there...Now if you want even more perf due to the node shrink, here's the Rx590.....The lead over 1060 is even larger and on average it's just a few bucks over the 1060's price....

llien

40-75% higher price. 590 is $279 on Newegg.
You are comparing newly released card (which, by the way, in Germany is to be had at 259Euro for FatBoy XFX version) to an exceptionally discounted older one to make it look worse. When in reality 590 costs roughly as 1060, which it wipes the floor with.

FJjfRaS.png

Even forgetting that there are over 500 FreeSync monitors on the market.
It is nVidia that AMD is competing against, not AMD!

Last edited:

llien

This is absolutly insane - improved 12nm process and they have slightly more than 1060 performance while almost matching 1080ti power usage, even when comparing to other AMD products it's close to older Vega 56.
They run well above "comfort" range.
Look how the same Polaris works in PS4 Pro, when slightly downclocked, total power consumption is at about 100-130W.a
Underclocking/undervolting these does wonders.

.no AMD card more powerful that even a GTX 1070
WTF dude? Are you for real?

VIMnhFx.jpg

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
To sum it up:

Steve is all types of nuts, they were hating on the card even before it arrived. I mean these guys took issue that the card was not named RX580-X, you're a reviewer let the company decide what they want to name their product for crying out loud....In any case, 590 is closer in price to the 1060, some 1060's are even priced way over $300.00 at Newegg too and a 199.00 8GB 580 already beats them.....As for Steve, could anyone tell me why he never mentions the $180.00 game bundle for the 590 ? Food for thought....Also, why does the 1060 suddenly have 8GB of ram at 1440p in Steve's video....

Here is a better review....and this guy has had some beef with AMD btw...

Bonus Benchmark vid, OC on all cards

Leonidas

You are comparing newly released card to an older one

And? When a customer goes to buy a card and they know a much cheaper card performs nearly the same(580), they will go for that card. The 590 will be competing with AMDs cards from last year because it's basically the same thing. It's the same with their CPUs, first gen Ryzen has been going for real cheap this year and offers most of the performance of the updated models at a massive discount. People care about value, that's why some opted for 1080 Ti instead of 2080 at the RTX launch back when 1080 Tis were going for a decent price.

BEERBEER

Neo Member
The only downside they dont mention about this "3 free games offer":

besides the Resident Evil 2 (digital copy); here's an opinion from a reviewer on NewEgg:

"Pros: Got the free bundle after purchasing a video card. Free = yay! Came with 2 games, World War Z (pretty decent) and Tom Clancy’s The Division® 2 Gold Edition - Uplay (will never know).
Cons: I didn't catch the "Uplay" part on the end of "The Division 2" until I went to claim my downloads. What is bad about Uplay? It's a subscription service.

I won't subscribe to a service for $15 (US) a month. Even with a "try it for a month free" deal, I say no thanks. It's not that the expense is so bad, I just don't play games online 24/7 so it would be mostly a waste of money.

*Bottom line - I got one free game out of the deal which is cool, but the other will never be played. If they would just say it is a subscription service only game, I wouldn't have bothered jumping through all of the sign-up hoops.... sneakily misleading. Uplay can eat my shorts."

The card itself is a good investment; but the extras depends on each player taste.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

besides the Resident Evil 2 (digital copy); here's an opinion from a reviewer on NewEgg:

"Pros: Got the free bundle after purchasing a video card. Free = yay! Came with 2 games, World War Z (pretty decent) and Tom Clancy’s The Division® 2 Gold Edition - Uplay (will never know).
Cons: I didn't catch the "Uplay" part on the end of "The Division 2" until I went to claim my downloads. What is bad about Uplay? It's a subscription service.

I won't subscribe to a service for $15 (US) a month. Even with a "try it for a month free" deal, I say no thanks. It's not that the expense is so bad, I just don't play games online 24/7 so it would be mostly a waste of money.

*Bottom line - I got one free game out of the deal which is cool, but the other will never be played. If they would just say it is a subscription service only game, I wouldn't have bothered jumping through all of the sign-up hoops.... sneakily misleading. Uplay can eat my shorts."

The card itself is a good investment; but the extras depends on each player taste.
I’m struggling to see the purpose of bumping this thread for a card that is, at the moment, way overpriced.

Se_7_eN

These benchmarks make me really want a 2080ti.... But I am going to try and hold out for the 2080ti Super (Upgrading from a GTX 680, so I might as well go big).

BEERBEER

Neo Member
These benchmarks make me really want a 2080ti.... But I am going to try and hold out for the 2080ti Super (Upgrading from a GTX 680, so I might as well go big).

I did the same when i went from a "Nvidia GTX 560 Ti" towards a "Radeon RX 470 Sapphire nitro". Also take in mind that you might have to also buy a cable that is compatible between your Monitor & your Graphics Card... (little detail nobody talks about; unless you have a TV & cable for HDMI).

Last edited:

noonjam

I bought a 580 that came with the 2 games, picked resident evil 2 and the division 2. There's no subscription needed? you just have to have ubisofts storefront/service installed just like you need to for every game of theirs.

Se_7_eN

I did the same when i went from a "Nvidia GTX 560 Ti" towards a "Radeon RX 470 Sapphire nitro". Also take in mind that you might have to also buy a cable that is compatible between your Monitor & your Graphics Card... (little detail nobody talks about; unless you have a TV & cable for HDMI).

Its going to be a full new build, I am thinking I will be going with the LG 34GK950F Ultrawide monitor, from a 60hz to a 144hz... I am probably going to shit myself. The AMD 3950x CPU is releasing around the same time as the 2080ti Super (Supposedly) so it will be a spendy time.

PhoenixTank

Ubisoft announced Uplay Plus. the subscription service at E3, but Uplay (the client) doesn't require a subscription. I can't blame you for being confused as this is as clear as mud if you look at the Uplay download page. Uplay plus banner, followed by details about Uplay with no clear division between the info. Tragically heavy handed marketing.
Scroll alllll the way to the bottom and hit "Download now". That is just the client, no strings attached and redeem The Division 2.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Slightly off-topic but the RX 5700 XT launching next month is the spiritual successor to the RX 590.

Shame that AMD is now charging high end prices for mid-range products...

thelastword

Banned
Slightly off-topic but the RX 5700 XT launching next month is the spiritual successor to the RX 590.

Shame that AMD is now charging high end prices for mid-range products...
The 5700 absolutely wallops the 2060 in performance, it's only priced $20-30 more, the 5700XT beats the 2070 and it's cheaper.....never heard you complain about the 2060 or the 2070's prices, when in fact the current 2060 should be a 2050 and the 2070 a 2060.......Don't blame AMD.......At least they're offering better perf and vram, the 2060 only has 6Gb of Vram too...And no one dares tell me they bought a 2060 for RTX, for what performance exactly?

BEERBEER

Neo Member
Ubisoft announced Uplay Plus. the subscription service at E3, but Uplay (the client) doesn't require a subscription. I can't blame you for being confused as this is as clear as mud if you look at the Uplay download page. Uplay plus banner, followed by details about Uplay with no clear division between the info. Tragically heavy handed marketing.
Scroll alllll the way to the bottom and hit "Download now". That is just the client, no strings attached and redeem The Division 2.
Well it is someone else's review

Leonidas

never heard you complain about the 2060 or the 2070's prices, when in fact the current 2060 should be a 2050

You're right, I didn't, because 2070 launched last year and was good perf/$ at $500 in 2018 GPU conditions, and 2060 is still cheaper than the cheapest RX 5700 card.
I complain about pricing when it makes sense to do so.
I complained about Radeon VII which didn't even match 1080 Ti performance but was the same price as 1080 Ti 2 years later.
I will praise RTX 2070 Super when the results show it beating Radeon VII performance a few months later for $200 cheaper :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Last edited:

BEERBEER

Neo Member
Sorry not following. Is that an autocorrect from "now" to "review"?

that the arguments that i've rewritten, were not my own, but from a reviewer of said product, so i pasted it here, got some flak for it, but still the points were valid, and corrected by other members, which is fine by me.

Top Bottom