• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon 7700XT and 7800XT - Review thread

Give it to me straight, lads, is this another junk price to frame card that further solidifies my growing suspicions of familial price fixing, or is this actually a not shit card?

hinch7

Give it to me straight, lads, is this another junk price to frame card that further solidifies my growing suspicions of familial price fixing, or is this actually a not shit card?
The 7800XT is the first GPU in a long time that isn't a complete rip off and generally performs slightly ahead that of a 4070 at $500, £480 etc with 16GB of VRAM so I'd call that a win. Sadly FSR still lacking sub 4K and Raytracing a touch behind in otherwise a good GPU.

I do think prices of the 4070 will drop in the upcoming months, so if you like Nvidia features, RT and DLSS it might be worth holding out on that. RTX 4000 cards are also way more power efficient if that matters.

Last edited:

Crayon

Depends on how you feel about the general prices recently. If you believe the price hikes are permanent, then this is a good deal. It's a little faster and a little cheaper than today's discounted 6800XT, which was already considered one of the better deals you can get these days.

If you feel like the prices are going to come back down due to public response or whatever, then this is a just okay.

DaGwaphics

Depends on how you feel about the general prices recently. If you believe the price hikes are permanent, then this is a good deal. It's a little faster and a little cheaper than today's discounted 6800XT, which was already considered one of the better deals you can get these days.

If you feel like the prices are going to come back down due to public response or whatever, then this is a just okay.

This! Plus, with the positive response this has received so far (seems to have gotten snatched up a lot quicker than recent launches), I wouldn't expect that things will get that much cheaper in the near future. Seems like AMD did the best they could here, or at least as good as could be reasonably expected, good to see them get a nice reception.

StereoVsn

This! Plus, with the positive response this has received so far (seems to have gotten snatched up a lot quicker than recent launches), I wouldn't expect that things will get that much cheaper in the near future. Seems like AMD did the best they could here, or at least as good as could be reasonably expected, good to see them get a nice reception.
If you have PSU overhead and decent case cooling (and space), 6950 is better if you get it at a decent price. That gets you 10-20% performance depending on a game.

The 7800XT is the first GPU in a long time that isn't a complete rip off and generally performs slightly ahead that of a 4070 at $500, £480 etc with 16GB of VRAM so I'd call that a win. Sadly FSR still lacking sub 4K and Raytracing a touch behind in otherwise a good GPU.

I do think prices of the 4070 will drop in the upcoming months, so if you like Nvidia features, RT and DLSS it might be worth holding out on that. RTX 4000 cards are also way more power efficient if that matters.
Just curious, but why do you think prices will come down?

I don't think any prices are coming down especially on the Nvidia side. They don't really have any reasons to drop prices because their mindshare is so great that people will easily spend the extra $100 because it's Nvidia.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They seem to be selling pretty good out of the gate. Fsr 3 really determines if it’s a true hit or not though. It doesn’t even have to be as good as dlss 3 it just has to be a ways better than fsr 2.

Rickyiez

If you actually think of it as 7700XT instead of 7800XT and got it $50 cheaper later after some discount , it's really is a great value price/performance card for gaming .

hinch7

Just curious, but why do you think prices will come down?

I don't think any prices are coming down especially on the Nvidia side. They don't really have any reasons to drop prices because their mindshare is so great that people will easily spend the extra $100 because it's Nvidia.
Nvidia and its partners were already discounting the 4060Ti in prepration for the 7700XT launch and you can find AiB 16GB models for $449 and under. And it looks like there's big demand for the 7800XT from what I've seen/read.

Prices will adjust eventually if they aren't selling.

FireFly

They seem to be selling pretty good out of the gate. Fsr 3 really determines if it’s a true hit or not though. It doesn’t even have to be as good as dlss 3 it just has to be a ways better than fsr 2.
FSR 3 is unlikely to fix the artefacts with FSR 2, sadly. As it's just a bolt on frame generation feature, like DLSS 3. But maybe you will be able to use it without upscaling.

scydrex

The 7800xt is a better buy. The 7700xt should cost $350. Bad pricing on the 7700xt. The 7800xt $450. At $500 is not a bad price but should have been $450.

Kataploom

Gold Member
For 1080P 14% slower and 1440P, 16% slower than a 7800XT while only 10% difference in cost. And consumes nearly the same power.

DOA unless much cheaper.
While I agree with this sentiment, there's also the other POV that it's WAY better than the 6700 XT, it smashes the 4060 Ti completely and it's $450 so not only cheaper than 4060 Ti but better.

I think price will go down relatively quick, by December we should start seeing it at $400 more or less.

Holding out on PC upgrades feels amazing when you make that giant multi-generation leap. Still rocking a 1070 and though I don't do many new game releases with that, it's handled everything I've asked it to for several years. If this GPU wasn't so expensive I would consider an upgrade.

Top Bottom