• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX 470 Review Thread

Bl@de

That Power color Red Devil is going to be a great option for people looking to upgrade on a budget from older cards. That's phenomenal.

hodgy100

SO with this, and the tiny performance delta, whats the advantage of getting a 480? the overclockability? or that aftermarket cards will have overclocks that give it a larger lead? or does this card not come in 8GB?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SO with this, and the tiny performance delta, whats the advantage of getting a 480? the overclockability? or that aftermarket cards will have overclocks that give it a larger lead? or does this card not come in 8GB?

In theory, the price difference isn't that big. The reviews say as much, citing that as a flaw. These 470s are pretty close to the MSRP of a reference 4GB 480. Almost a question of why buy a slightly worse/cut down card for nearly the same price.

The problem is that 4GB 480s don't really exist, and prices are inflated. So the actual price you are looking to pay for almost any 480 is like $250+. Considering these cards use the exact same chip, I wouldn't expect the 470 to fare much better out the gate. Limited availability and tons getting bought up by miners.

Ptaaty

I'm an idiot - I had the 4GB Red Devil in cart and didn't pull the trigger. For $180 that is an insane value.

Some of the others, not so much (one takes more power than an RX480 and costs more...)

thenexus6

I think this is the card guys!

I wonder how much I could get for my few months old GTX 950 towards this

Hmm, its literally the same price as the 480 in the UK..

dex3108

On the topic of dollars, we’ve never seen AMD so reluctant to discuss pricing. Hours before the RX 470’s introduction, we were handed a suggested $179 figure. However, there is no “reference” design, so it’s unclear what you’ll find at that price. Asus passed along that the Strix RX 470 OC Edition we tested would sell for $200, with the non-overclocked model offered at $195.
This puts “premium” Radeon RX 470 cards at the same level as reference-class 4GB RX 480s, which doesn’t make sense. Small performance delta aside, at $200, a Radeon RX 480 is the better buy.
For now it’s mostly theory anyway. Newegg lists 13 different RX 480 models and none of them are available, even a month after launch. We’re sure they’re trickling out slowly (user reviews abound), but supply hasn’t caught up. Don’t be surprised if Radeon RX 470 is just as hard to get your hands on.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-470,4703-8.html

Litri

Now, overclocking this car takes you almost to 480 levels so I'm not sure if the 470 looks a bit better as perf/value at the current prices. Looks like AMD may end up cannibalizing the 480 ¿? Regardless, looks like a card I'm considering to get but doubts creep up...

DieH@rd

Banned
MSI card is awesome again, totally silent ALL THE TIME.

However I am COMPLETELY UNSATISFIED with the availability of Polaris cards here in my territory [eastern Europe]. We are yet to get any AIB RX 480 card, prices of reference cards are very high, and who knows when we will get AIB 470s.

Nvidia prices are even crazier, but at least availability is stronger so people can actually get them. 1060 deployment was actually fairly good.

BlizzyAzz

I know it's too early to complain about the prices in general for the AMD cards just wanted to show the first price comparisons for the Sapphire line up.

An amazing card, but it's priced way too close to the RX 480.

For 20$ more you could get a RX 480 which is around 10-20% faster.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Classic AMD.Ok card but awful pricing.Whats the point pricing it at near 480 price for 20% less performance?Also prices are way above MSRP especially in Europe.

kuYuri

European prices seem messed up right now. US prices are ok, but there's really not that big a difference in some cases. Either way, it's already sold out on Newegg.

selfnoise

It's a bit pedantic I know, but this isn't "Little Polaris" as the OP suggests. This is gimped Big Polaris.

Little Polaris, aka 11, aka Baffin, is what is going to be in the 460.

This needed to be like $170-190 in order to be compelling, at least for me. Oh well, I'm sure over time it will become closer and closer to selling for that price due to sales and mail-in rebates.

kuYuri

This needed to be like $170-190 in order to be compelling, at least for me. Oh well, I'm sure over time it will become closer and closer to selling for that price due to sales and mail-in rebates.

The prices can get in that range if you look for the right one.

BsKaKMt.jpg

DPB

UK prices are idiotic. Only one of them is reasonably priced, a 4GB Sapphire with a cooler based on the 480 reference design. The other 4GB models are mostly the same or slightly less than a 4GB 480, and the 8GB 470s are actually more expensive but offer less performance than a 480.

dragn

thought about crossfire 2 of these but now i just wait for vega, so many games not supporting multi gpu :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
reviews look good but out of my budget, hoping the 460 has good performance/price

Probably not better than what you can get now. It will probably perform similarly to a R7 370 (potentially a bit worse if the 480 and 470 are any indication) and cost around $100. You can already get a 370 for around that price.

Ac30

With every card they can produce selling out instantly they'd be nuts to price it at $150. That's like expecting the 1080 to actually retail at $600

Probably not better than what you can get now. It will probably perform similarly to a R7 370 (potentially a bit worse if the 480 and 470 are any indication) and cost around $100. You can already get a 370 for around that price.
i wish, not in the US, so prices here are at least double

zer0das

Banned
I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed by the performance of the RX 470, but not by the price. The Powercolor 470 is pretty much the only one that seems like a good price, and personally I wouldn't be inclined to buy from them given how many of their 480's appear to be dead on arrival. I suppose given the lack of availability with the 4 GB RX 480, it's a decent enough alternative.

It is crazy to me how fast Polaris stuff is selling out.

wachie

wUz3KQX.jpg

Even at $179, best bang for buck. It's a shame that AMD priced this about $20 more than they should have, in hindsight I concur with Canuck's conclusion - the 4GB 480 was probably conceived as a spoiler product that never materialized.

It will be interesting to see how Nvidia responds with the 1050.

jwhit28

I've been trying to get my brother a 4gb 480 for 2 weeks now. We thought about a 470 if he could get a non reference card at around $180. If we can't find one by Friday he is just getting a 1060 instead of an 8gb 480.

My brother is a big twitch user and I've had a lot of driver crashes with AMD and flash before I got my 970. So if Nvidia has a competitive card at the price point I rather he just go with them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wUz3KQX.jpg

Even at $179, best bang for buck. It's a shame that AMD priced this about $20 more than they should have, in hindsight I concur with Canuck's conclusion - the 4GB 480 was probably conceived as a spoiler product that never materialized.

It will be interesting to see how Nvidia responds with the 1050.

The $200 4GB 480 really feels like the odd product out here. At $180-$200 for the 4GB 470 and $240-260 for the 8GB 480 would have made more sense and been a lot more simple. As it is now it there are basically products with overlapping price brackets.

Alternatively, the 470 could have just been given a bit lower performance and a lower price. It's just barely worse than the 480, but there is a huge gulf between the 470 and 460.

Apparently "reference" price for 470s is $170. Partners and retailers are just going wild with markups.

Trogdor1123

The $200 4GB 480 really feels like the odd product out here. At $180-$200 for the 4GB 470 and $240-260 for the 8GB 480 would have made more sense and been a lot more simple. As it is now it there are basically products with overlapping price brackets.

Alternatively, the 470 could have just been given a bit lower performance and a lower price. It's just barely worse than the 480, but there is a huge gulf between the 470 and 460.

Apparently "reference" price for 470s is $170. Partners and retailers are just going wild with markups.
We're currently paying a 60 premium up here in Canada, after the price conversion. Terrible. Hope it comes down.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The price is too high. This should be $150, the 8GB RX 480 should be $200, and the 4GB RX 480 should not exist. This is all my opinion.

Alchemy

I don't really understand what the 470 is for, a $20 lower price seems kinda pointless to me? If you're dropping over $150 on something $20 seems like barely anything.

The price is too high. This should be $150, the 8GB RX 480 should be $200, and the 4GB RX 480 should not exist. This is all my opinion.

The 4GB RX 480's basically won't exist after this, with how limited their stock was in the first place, it's pretty clear they existed more for marketing's sake than as a proper SKU. The RX 470's will basically slot in to take that spot and the 'real' MSRP of RX 480's should probably be considered 240+ dollars now.

Top Bottom