• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

shandy706

Unfortunately the main games I actually care about CPU performance in right now are HITMAN and Dishonored 2, and I don't see them showing up on many benchmarks these days.
I just want to know what I have to buy to run those games smoothly.

My i7 920 runs Hitman at 4k like it is nothing. Haha

An 8 year old Processor!

With a 980 Ti Classified

These should be a good upgrade at not much money over it.

PnCIa

According to Charlie at Semiaccurate, Intel is worried a little bit:

Cinebench may be seen as a non-representative benchmark for some but SemiAccurate is confident that Ryzen’s performance will hold up across a wide range of benchmarks. This last bit may explain why Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something. In case we read that wrong, they should be.

Competition finally happening again.

tuxfool

Banned
No amount of CPU power in the world is going to help you with Dishonored 2, unfortunately. Engine is still busted on PC.

It is busted everywhere. It is just that it runs ok at 30 fps, though to me it seems gross to have a first person game run at that frame rate.

nubbe

I decided on this setup

Ryzen 1700x
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Corsair LPX 2x16GB 3200MHz
Noctua NH-U14S

Also getting Switch with games, accessories and Amiibos...

Rip wallet
March is murder in plain sight

SScorpio

The question is whether it's worth buying an 8-core CPU now and potentially sacrificing performance in many games, or going with a fast hyperthreaded quad-core and waiting a year or two for it to become the majority of games which start to take advantage of more than four cores.
Based on the Cinebench scores, the 1800X at 4.1GHz (162cb) would still be about 10% faster per-core than my current 2500K at 4.5GHz (148cb). But a 7700K at 5GHz is about 45% faster per-core. (215cb)
That's not insignificant when only some games/applications can make use of >4 cores - especially when you factor in Ryzen's half-rate AVX2 performance, since many of the applications using >4 cores also benefit from AVX.

Don't forget that the Ryzen's are unlocked so you can overclock them. The next few weeks will be interesting to see how far people are able to push these. I'm not expecting Sandybridge levels, but we'll see what happens.

kotodama

Don't forget that the Ryzen's are unlocked so you can overclock them. The next few weeks will be interesting to see how far people are able to push these. I'm not expecting Sandybridge levels, but we'll see what happens.

What would be interesting to see if people just can overclock one core more than the others as the primary core. I wonder if that'd give better over all results. Like the first core at 5 GHZ and the others at 4 GHZ.

--

Shame X300 ITX isn't available at launch, but is the ASUS Hero option the best to get at the moment? Well, in the ATX range, at least. The Gigabyte, MSI, and Asrock offerings look nice too, no?

Durante

What would be interesting to see if people just can overclock one core more than the others as the primary core. I wonder if that'd give better over all results. Like the first core at 5 GHZ and the others at 4 GHZ.
I don't think windows or games would be smart enough in terms of scheduling to make good use of such a setup.

Good for AMD. They've turned things around and are now in position to compete with Nvidia AND Intel again. For a while there it was looking bad but every since Lisa Su took over its been slow but steady progress.

Edit: I am jealous of the CPU benchmarks. Makes my 5820K seem mediocre at best.

PnCIa

I was convinced that Ryzen was the real deal, but now I'm unsure again.
Why?

First look at the overclocking tool: Ryzen Master (lol)

ZwY05FK.jpg

Redmoon

I don't think windows or games would be smart enough in terms of scheduling to make good use of such a setup.

If setting core affinity in task manager always sets it to use the same core/thread (IE checking only cpu1 will use the same core every time) I could see someone making bank on an automated program to do this. All you'd need to do is know what cores/threads to set games and non games to.

Unless its already been done for free of course.

Durante

If setting core affinity in task manager always sets it to use the same core/thread (IE checking only cpu1 will use the same core every time) I could see someone making bank on an automated program to do this. All you'd need to do is know what cores/threads to set games and non games to.

Unless its already been done for free of course.
Ideally, you'd need to know which game thread(s) to put on which cores, and that's a per-game (or at least per-engine) decision. I actually thought about researching this years ago, you might be able to automate it if you link it to a suitable performance capturing tool for feedback.
Of course, without heterogeneous cores, the potential payoff is likely to be tiny, which is one reason why I never actually tried.

psn

Sooo which Mainboard should I buy? I just preordered the 1800X but I can't decide which MoBo I should buy :/ Should have decent onboard sound, RGB would be great but is not a must...

kotodama

So you're saying...... Linux is the answer (jk).

Hmm using that official overclocking tool, it looks like you could overclock one thread or maybe just 2 or 4 for older games, and in some ways not be dependent on the smarts of Windows or said Games themselves. Ghetto PS4 Pro Boost Mode (With all the issues that may entail)?

Moonstone

I'm hyped. Still have a 2500k. And Case is dirty, some USB ports don't work anymore, I have not USB 3.1 or M2, only 8GBs of RAM ...

Upgrading the base pc (not GPU) every 5 years isn't that expensive as I use it not just for games only. Perfect time. I think I'm getting the 1700x.
I will wait for reviews and benchmarks though. Never preorder anything.

pooptest

So, 1700x then OC it +200Mhz to equal an 1800X?

Or am I missing something? Not sure what the +$100 is getting me other than a better bin.

Durante

So you're saying...... Linux is the answer (jk).
Well, in Linux you can modify the scheduler.

Hmm using that official overclocking tool, it looks like you could overclock one thread or maybe just 2 or 4 for older games, and in some ways not be dependent on the smarts of Windows or said Games themselves. Ghetto PS4 Pro Boost Mode (With all the issues that may entail)?
In games that don't scale beyond 2 or 4 cores, overclocking just those and locking their affinity to them might work. However, it depends on how much more overclocking headroom you really get by overclocking a subset.

AMD fanboy i suppose? Did he make up a lot of stuff in the past?
Well, this is a quote from a 2013 article of his:
As SemiAccurate said in April when we reported about Nvidia's cancellation of the GK114 Kepler update, the company is showing severe financial stress related cracks in the development roadmap. Hawaii and the Volcanic Islands family is coming this fall and a late September public show likely means an October silicon launch. This is a massively updated GPU vs the minor tweaks in the last round. Given the timing, Hawaii is unquestionably a 28nm part so no shrink related performance bump but the architectural changes should more than make up for that. It is unlikely to be an incremental advance.

Nvidia in the mean time canceled the minor update that was due out last quarter and surprisingly canceled the first big Maxwell set for next spring. This leaves them with nothing to compete against AMD with for the fall ”back to school" market and the winter holiday season. The next minor blip will be in the spring as described in the link above, but that is not competition for AMD, it is Nvidia salvaging the scraps they have left. Dire is barely adequate to describe their competitive situation for 2013 and 1H/2014.
He has basically been predicting the imminent demise of Nvidia for almost a decade now.

Meanwhile (this starts at 2013, the first major uptick is right around the time where he predicts "dire" to be "barely adequate"):

PnCIa

Well, this is a quote from a 2013 article of his:

He has basically been predicting the imminent demise of Nvidia for almost a decade now.

Meanwhile (this starts at 2013, the first major uptick is right around the time where he predicts "dire" to be "barely adequate"):
Now that is something, could not have been more wrong.

No matter if Intel sent out emails regarding Ryzen or not, the way it looks like now, they would have a reason to be worried. As long as performance stacks up to what we have seen until now.

Durante

Now that is something, could not have been more wrong.
That said, it was just a joke.

Charlie saying so doesn't diminish my confidence in Ryzen delivering, at least to the extent of massively changing the >4 core consumer CPU market.

And maybe servers too.

jryeje29

Does anyone know why these new x370 boards only seem to support a max of 64G ram? 4 DDR slots instead of 8 on the intel boards (which support 128Gb)?

64 is enough for now, but in the future when I increase the VM workload on my machine I'll need more RAM...

If youre comparing the x370 platform to z170 then they both have only 4 dimm slots which is enough for most people and considered the "regular or gaming" , the boards from intel that have 8 slots are x99, which is considered the "enthusiast" platform. Amd is competing has its normal lineup competing against intels "enthusiast" platform which is why the hype is so high. In the future AMD will come out with boards with more slots but probably for more server oriented use, we'll have to wait and see.

TL;DR - intels 8 dimm boards are for a higher end platform and amd is saying we can do it just as good for half the price

Durante

The 1700 seems to be the same price as a 7700k in Australia. What's the price differential like in other regions?
It's almost the exact same price here right now in Austria. Less than 2% difference.
Of course, this might change a bit with broad availability (or in the other direction with heavy demand).

jryeje29

Good for AMD. They've turned things around and are now in position to compete with Nvidia AND Intel again. For a while there it was looking bad but every since Lisa Su took over its been slow but steady progress.

Edit: I am jealous of the CPU benchmarks. Makes my 5820K seem mediocre at best.

Same cpu here but you and I still have some time before we'll need to upgrade, lets let this party really get started before we jump in, who knows how the field looks in a here

I cannot believe I am excited for an AMD hardware launch.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

The consistent Cinebench leaks with nothing gaming related (that I've seen) lead me to believe that this must be a particularly favorable one for Ryzen, but even in a worst case scenario they're now competitive which is great news after like 6 years of circling the drain.

I wouldn't compare those cpus, but in Germany prices are as following at one of the biggest resellers(alternate):
7700K 379.-€
1700 359.-€

So about even.

1700 is the cheapest only one I found listed on the biggest Australian retailer, so I guess the cheaper stuff is coming later?

catspit

are the lower end chips releasing at a later date then the higher end ones?

edit: lol.. the guy above asked the same question. srry

$329 1700 is a bit more than I would spend, but I bet that ends up being the best value. It can still be overclocked somehow.

I'm more curious about the $150-$250 AMD CPUs.

They seem to be launching with only the 8-core chips.

Think they will be setting binned 8 cores aside to sell as 4 or 6 cores later?

AmFreak

I wouldn't compare those cpus. In Germany prices are as following at one of the biggest resellers (alternate.de):
7700K 379.-€
1700 359.-€

So about even.
Pre-Launch though.
No need for competition and lower prices as long as demand is higher than supply.

Koutsoubas

Whats the difference between 1700x and 1800x except the extra 100 dollars?

If I can Overclock the 1700x why would spend more money?

Moonstone

1700 is the cheapest only one I found listed on the biggest Australian retailer, so I guess the cheaper stuff is coming later?

They will just release the 8 core CPUs for now. 6 and 4 cores will come later. 1700 is a low TDP cpu (65w instead of 95w) and only running at 3GHZ, while 7700k is running at 4.2 GHZ.
Biggest selling point right now is if you need those cores for rendering, encoding, graphic and video editing and so on. 1700x is at 439. - and the 6900k currently at 1199.-€

For gaming only purposes: Let's see how their 4 or 6 cores do which will come later.

The consistent Cinebench leaks with nothing gaming related (that I've seen) lead me to believe that this must be a particularly favorable one for Ryzen, but even in a worst case scenario they're now competitive which is great news after like 6 years of circling the drain.
Cinebench is, for some reason, today's standard for CPU Benchmarks.

Whats the difference between 1700x and 1800x except the extra 100 dollars?

If I can Overclock the 1700x why would spend more money?
What if you could overclock the 1800x more?

Paragon

No amount of CPU power in the world is going to help you with Dishonored 2, unfortunately. Engine is still busted on PC.
The problem with Dishonored 2 seems to be how CPU-intensive the texture streaming is.
If I drop the texture resolution to the lowest quality, I can run the game quite smoothly.
It looks terrible like that though, and I don't want to use the lowest quality textures when I upgraded to an 8GB 1070 for that game.

As soon as I turn up the texture quality, the CPU usage hits 100% as I'm running around and it stutters badly as it streams in new textures.
If I sprint to a new location it might be running at 40-50 FPS, but if I stand still for a moment and wait for the textures to fully stream in, it jumps back up to 60 FPS.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it scales up to 16 threads.
I'm not convinced that GameGPU's test there is properly stressing the 6700K though, as people were still reporting stuttering problems with them too.
I've certainly found areas in games which perform much worse than GameGPU's benchmarks have shown - I tend to use that site as a relative measure of performance rather than absolute.

An 8 year old Processor! With a 980 Ti Classified
What is your definition of running the game "like it is nothing"?
I get constant framerate drops to 45-50 FPS when running around the busier areas in some of the maps, and it drops even lower if you cause some chaos in a crowded area.

4K30 is not a challenge at all though - the same story as most games lately.
60 FPS at any resolution is heavily CPU-limited, while 4K30 doesn't break a sweat.

With XFR only giving you an extra 100MHz according to some sources, it doesn't sound like they are going to be great overclockers.
And you're definitely not going to get an extra 33% out of them to match a 5GHz 7700K.
The question is how close can they get, and how close is close enough?
That's why I'm waiting for benchmarks instead of pre-ordering.

Intel does that with Turbo Boost Max 3.0 on Broadwell-E: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337...6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/2

Vipu

Banned

An 8 year old Processor!

With a 980 Ti Classified

My "like nothing" would be 4k 100fps+
I dont think your 980ti can do that, I guess its more like 4k 30fps.

dhlt25

have the 1700x and the asus mobo in my cart but I'd rather wait for some solid reviews first. I'm itching to upgrade my 2500k but in no rush to do it.

LegendX48

have the 1700x and the asus mobo in my cart but I'd rather wait for some solid reviews first. I'm itching to upgrade my 2500k but in no rush to do it.

that's probably a good idea. I'm loving everything I'm hearing and would love to come back to an all AMD build but I wanna see how it compares to kaby lake in games and such. My 3770k has served me well but AMD beckons lol

The problem with Dishonored 2 seems to be how CPU-intensive the texture streaming is.
If I drop the texture resolution to the lowest quality, I can run the game quite smoothly.
It looks terrible like that though, and I don't want to use the lowest quality textures when I upgraded to an 8GB 1070 for that game.

As soon as I turn up the texture quality, the CPU usage hits 100% as I'm running around and it stutters badly as it streams in new textures.
If I sprint to a new location it might be running at 40-50 FPS, but if I stand still for a moment and wait for the textures to fully stream in, it jumps back up to 60 FPS.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it scales up to 16 threads.
I'm not convinced that GameGPU's test there is properly stressing the 6700K though, as people were still reporting stuttering problems with them too.
I've certainly found areas in games which perform much worse than GameGPU's benchmarks have shown - I tend to use that site as a relative measure of performance rather than absolute.

Interestingly I found this:

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/tes...e_i7_7700k_premiera_intel_kaby_lake?page=0,39

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/tes...e_i7_7700k_premiera_intel_kaby_lake?page=0,14

Seems like Dishonored 2 doesn't really care for more than 4 threads. Gains 20% more FPS in minimum/average from a 30% overclock, but less than 5% from 4 to 8 threads.

edit: which I guess doesn't bode well for Ryzen in this particular case lol

Hitman seems like it has much better scaling by comparison, gaining nearly 20% from 4 to 8 threads at the same clockspeed.

Top Bottom