• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD unveils major GPU driver update, Catalyst Omega

Clopezi

Yeah, ok, people with GPU from 5 years ago (Radeon 5XXX) complaining about support.

Some times the drivers are crap, but many times the computer are full of shit and the user blame to others, and the only fault is himself and his computer use.

Lime

Looks like the drivers will be released very soon considering the text "You can download Catalyst Omega for your AMD rig here." in the Techspot article

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, ok, people with GPU from 5 years ago (Radeon 5XXX) complaining about support.

Some times the drivers are crap, but many times the computer are full of shit and the user blame to others, and the only fault is himself and his computer use.
My 270X has lacked many issues that plagued my 5850. Not just issues of power/performance, but weird buggy stuff. I don't know why, but it did fix shit.

How can you fix now a 'large number of bugs' if you don't introduce, and then neglect to fix, them in the first place?

I don't understand what you're trying to say now.

You tried to imply that this driver is only special because AMD is fixing bugs. However, bugfixes happen every driver, and this driver brings 19 features and performance improvements too. I just find your attitude odd.

I get a really nice performance boost in Thief as well.

Thief is a really weird case for Mantle. You'd expect a single player game with smallish maps to be the worst case for it but I get a pretty large boost too.

Durante

The thing with Mantle performance improvement measurements is that they are always (by necessity) measured against the AMD DirectX baseline. Which is pretty well documented to suck in terms of CPU efficiency.

BPoole

About damn time. I'm still using 14.9 since 14.11.2 was giving me constant blue screens. Downsampling is long overdue

I don't understand what you're trying to say now.

You tried to imply that this driver is only special because AMD is fixing bugs. However, bugfixes happen every driver, and this driver brings 19 features and performance improvements too. I just find your attitude odd.

They highlighted the fix of bugs as one of the key things that make these drivers special.

What are you impliying with your avatar of a Nvidia Fermi card on fire?
image.php

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yes. This is why a fresh install of Windows made my 5870 the beast it truly was all along. /s

Good news for my 290X I suppose. I wonder when this will be available to download. I have the AMD Gaming Evolved program downloaded so it should alert me when it's finally released.

If they have suddenly realised how to squeeze 19% improvement out of GPU you have to wonder what the fuck the driver developer team have been doing up till now.

Pretty poor show AMD. Driver development is the main reason why I don't buy their cards anymore.

Weren't Nvidia claiming gains of up to 70% from a new driver earlier this year? It's just marketing guff and you'll see improvements like that in only a handful of games.

pestul

so this happens after I decide to ditch my 280X for a 970GTX. hmmmm
I really don't think you're missing out from the sounds of it lol

I moved on from AMD in October and have no regrets. That said, I'm still highly interested on how nice their new GPUs will be next year.

Diablos

I wonder how this compares to the nVidia driver improvments? I rolled back to a driver from July and I could not believe how much better performance is with the newer ones. If AMD is doing something like that, props.

Nethaniah

Great news, maybe a reason to keep AMD as an option for a potential upgrade.

Hope they implement even more features so Nvidia is forced to do them as well.

MisterM

Hnngg. I want this now!

I'm hoping they've added a decent frame rate limiter and maybe even half-rate adaptive v-sync but that is probably wishful thinking.

Gedosato to the rescue once again!

The nerve of only allowing SuperSampling on 290x and 285x :(

I played Dark Souls 1 at 4k on my 1080p screen at 60fps with my 7970 and DsFix, dont tell me my card cant handle it.

orava

AMD innovating with their original ideas again :p

"Virtual Super Resolution" sounds so stupid that it has to be a jab to nvidia's equally dumb naming.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So happy about this have two 7950s that can use that vsr support as the regedit hacks were too flakey and a pain to deal with each new catalyst update.

AMD, always innovating :p

But seriously, good on them for catching up in terms of downsampling. Although, like when NV initially announced DSR, I don't see why it shouldn't work for all their cards. It doesn't need any special hardware.

Lol. They didn't try to come up with a very unique name, either. They must have had a quick 10-minute brain storming session with "[Different word] Super Resolution" written on a whiteboard.

Buggy Loop

Any help i can get to stretch my 1090T cpu the longest i can is welcomed, mantle or driver optimization, i dont care, but if i can skip another year(s) before upgrading, then hell yes! (280 GPU).

Top Bottom