• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD unveils major GPU driver update, Catalyst Omega

Manp

The writers did notice 'significant gains' in certain games during their own tests, so I doubt it's 13.12.

that's fair but both them and AMD cite a 19% figure which makes me think the site is misquoting the AMD PR in that particular instance.

:)

wachie

AMD, always innovating :p

But seriously, good on them for catching up in terms of downsampling. Although, like when NV initially announced DSR, I don't see why it shouldn't work for all their cards. It doesn't need any special hardware.
Good news for AMD, snarky comment from Durante - check.

Like clockwork.

Durante

Lol. They didn't try to come up with a very unique name, either. They must have had a quick 10-minute brain storming session with "[Different word] Super Resolution" written on a whiteboard.
To be fair, "virtual" makes a lot more sense than "dynamic" in this context. But I think I've made enough fun of NV for that name.

Good news for AMD, snarky comment from Durante - check.

Like clockwork.
Content-less meta-commentary from wachie, check. Welcome to my ignore list!

wachie

Does anybody know if Nvidia supports 5K yet?\

Full feature list

AMD-Catalyst-Omega-Driver_Feature-List.jpg

Content-less meta-commentary from wachie, check. Welcome to my ignore list!
And this is exactly what? Pointing out the truth does hurt.

Citadel

Bought a R9 290 DirectCU ii a few months back... This is exciting news. It's already a great card, but I won't argue against added performance. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, I wonder if I should start using the AMD app to control supersampling, AA, AF and all the other things rather than in game options. Many people swear by doing this on Nvidia cards.

x3sphere

Does anybody know if Nvidia supports 5K yet?\

No way to know yet really, there's not a 5K monitor out yet. Apart from Apple's Retina iMac, which can't be used with a regular graphics card since it's also a full computer.

Anyway, the upcoming 5K monitor from Dell uses 2x DP connections which a lot of NV (apart from the new 900 series) and AMD cards lack...

I think the biggest news is FreeSync support. I wonder who the vendor is that already shipped FreeSync capable monitors. They still kept that a secret.

(Thanks wachie for the full list)

I think the biggest news is FreeSync support. I wonder who the vendor is that already shipped FreeSync capable monitors. They still kept that a secret.

(Thanks wachie for the full list)

I'm presuming it's Samsung, since the 4K U28D590D is already out, and apparently the 2015 version will support it. It's probably a firmware update for those monitors already in the wild, I'm guessing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Great for AMD, I'm gonna try them when they come out, but I may still be loyal to GeDoSaTo.

GeDoSaTo is nice, but DSR (and VSR, maybe) works with DX10 and DX11 games.

wachie

No way to know yet really, there's not a 5K monitor out yet. Apart from Apple's Retina iMac, which can't be used with a regular graphics card since it's also a full computer.

Anyway, the upcoming 5K monitor from Dell uses 2x DP connections which a lot of NV (apart from the new 900 series) and AMD cards lack...
Thanks.

Thraktor

The 5K support from AMD is kind of important for that, though, as the Retina iMac uses AMD graphics cards, and up until now it hasn't been possible to play games in 5K (or indeed do anything in 5K) in boot camp due to the lack of Windows driver support.

Ruff

I have an old ass HD6850 lol, will this do anything for me in the meantime before i get my upgrades?

I've got a few hours of free time, so I'm downloading the drivers now and will give you some impression on a few games once it's installed. I have a 2GB 7850.

MetalDeer

Yes, but need more 3rd party verification on how much.

I have a 7950, just installed the Omega drivers. I'm not seeing anything different. Seems like the new features are just for the R series maybe?

Edit: Infact, I just checked the OP again. The only slides that mention non-R series GPUs is the performance increase one.
Well, better performance is great and all, but I was looking forward to the other features. Gee, thanks, AMD.

I have a 7950, just installed the Omega drivers. I'm not seeing anything different. Seems like the new features are just for the R series maybe?

Edit: Infact, I just checked the OP again. The only slides that mention non-R series GPUs is the performance increase one.
Well, better performance is great and all, but I was looking forward to the other features. Gee, thanks, AMD.

Yeah I played a little BF4 with Mantle enabled and noticed a slight increase in FPS by about 5 or so frames on average, but that's negligable, kind of a same I can't try VSR, I really want to check out some older games in downsampled 4k! I'm gonna try out a few more games and see if there is any difference.

Renekton

I wonder if anyone checked the drivers for hints of Carribean Islands. Sht is supposed to drop beginning next year D:

Locuza

Well if i understood everything correctly we are now in Phase 1:

vsr_voraussetzungen.png

With Phase 2 VSR should be supportet by any GCN GPU from 260(X).
And if PCGH doesn't interpret wrong, 4K Downsampling should also come for every GPU.

According to AMD only Tonga (GCN 1.3/ IP v8) is now capable for 4K Downsampling, because the GPU-Scaler is different.
I hope this scaler thing is just a initial problem and 4K Downsampling will be available for every GCN Chip.

I'm on the same boat here, got a 7950 that's holding up really well with current games... But no downsampling come on AMD if enthusiasts can implement it why can't you?

Oh well. I guess my 7870 Ghz won't be getting it as well.

Cerity

Downloaded the drivers from AMD's site and no VSR in the options :/

Would try the ones from guru3d as they seem to be different (RC version) but my internet has gone to potatoes.

e: looks like it might be a thing with multiple displays

bVork

I wouldn't recommend grabbing these drivers if you play older PC games that only support 4:3 aspect ratios. AMD managed to break the "maintain aspect ratio" option in CCC.

Dmax3901

Lame! 7970 here :(

LQX

Not a good experience so far. FPS is still above 60 in MW AW but I'm getting a lot of hitching and stuttering. Damn near unplayable for me on my R270. Did not get hitching or stuttering at all before.

Not a good experience so far. FPS is still above 60 in MW AW but I'm getting a lot of hitching and stuttering. Damn near unplayable for me on my R270. Did not get hitching or stuttering at all before.

Clean install? My friend has a 270 and he says his is running smoother.

LQX

Clean install? My friend has a 270 and he says his is running smoother.

Yep. Just turned on fraps and I'm getting hard frame drops from 60-70's to 20-30's. It was very consistent before and I played few hours before installing these.

Top Bottom