• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen official presentation: 40% more IPC, hubba hubba!

Pooya

Better be early 2016 at least. it will still bomb. I was browsing the other day, in mobile/laptop market AMD is almost completely disappeared, very very few models with their CPU or GPU these days. Low end APUs are there and that's it, I feel their brand is just not very desirable now no matter what the actual product can do. I'm not sure what they can do about that now.

AMD is keeping the FX line. I wonder if will be an 8 core 16 thread chip. How much is intel's 8 core? Could you imagine getting one for like $150 and it OC'ing to like 4.5-5. Maybe all fantasy but that's what I hope to see.

They are priced according to performance. If these are anywhere near competitive with Skylake, I expect the 8 core parts to be closer to $300.

Irobot82

They are priced according to performance. If these are anywhere near competitive with Skylake, I expect the 8 core parts to be closer to $300.

So priced around an i7 level. Hmmmmmm... I guess we'd expect the 4c/8T to be around $200 then or less (to compete with that microcenter price)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This bodes well for PS5 XB2 architecture and the CPU not being limp like this gen

Midrange I5 or i7 level AMD Zen CPU at 6 to 8 tflops and 16GB HBM at 640GB/s

OmegaDL50

This bodes well for PS5 XB2 architecture and the CPU not being limp like this gen

I was going to comment that if this comes out soon enough this could very well be a viable option for Nintendo's NX if it is a console,

But then I remembered that Zen+ is x86 and Nintendo supposedly is making the NX still exist in the same eco-system that the 3DS and Wii U are in as well, and that dashes my hopes somewhat.

by-the-time-nintendo-nx-launches-wii-u-and-3ds-will-have-lived-long-lives-1115760.jpg

Even if this infographic is true. I still want the next Nintendo console to use this thing just to have some kind of power parity with the PS4 and XB1.

Also factor if THIS rumor is true - http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/c...ts-amd-to-power-next-generation-game-console/
http://www.expreview.com/37883.html

That AMD is possibly making a chip for Nintendo. IF, and IF it is indeed a derivative of this new Zen chip then that is a very good thing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I was going to comment that if this comes out soon enough this could very well be a viable option for Nintendo's NX if it is a console,

But then I remembered that Zen+ is x86 and Nintendo supposedly is making the NX still exist in the same eco-system that the 3DS and Wii U are in as well, and that dashes my hopes somewhat.

Even if this infographic is true. I still want the next Nintendo console to use this thing just to have some kind of power parity with the PS4 and XB1.

Also factor if THIS rumor is true - http://www.vcpost.com/articles/6242...e-to-toe-vs-other-consoles-with-amds-help.htm

That AMD is possibly making a chip for Nintendo. IF, and IF it is indeed a derivative of this new Zen chip then that is a very good thing.

AMD/ATI has made chips for Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube.

You should probably dispel any notions of a power war in the console space going forward, especially for Nintendo. Its just not worth anything. NX will have started development years before this architecture becomes consumer based anyway.

To begin with, why do you want 'power parity' anyway? All i want is a standardized control scheme from Nintendo really.

OmegaDL50

AMD/ATI has made chips for Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube.

You should probably dispel any notions of a power war in the console space going forward, especially for Nintendo. Its just not worth anything. NX will have started development years before this architecture becomes consumer based anyway.

To begin with, why do you want 'power parity' anyway? All i want is a standardized control scheme from Nintendo really.

Well mainly for any possible chance that any 3rd party ports that do happen, how limited they may possibly be. Won't be delayed for the sake of needing to tone things down or whatnot as what is happening with the Wii U. With a power parity there will be ZERO excuses outside of sheer laziness / not giving a crap.

Really I just want a return to form of what Nintendo had with the SNES, or a modern equivalent to that, in having both an awesome library of first and third party support. Yes traditional controls are important, I agree with you.

It may be an unrealistic wish but, Having Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all being competitive with each other would only benefit on the gaming front of things. Nintendo needs to realize they do not exist inside a bubble.

Besides who wouldn't want to see what Monolith or EAD would be capable of with such hardware at their disposal. Xenoblade X looks amazing as it is on the Wii U, I couldn't fathom what third Xenoblade game would be like if Nintendo had something like the Zen in their next console to utilize.

Bashtee

[...] I feel their brand is just not very desirable now no matter what the actual product can do. I'm not sure what they can do about that now.

Nothing is set in stone and thus a comeback always possible. The Bulldozer architecture was the first "poorly" performing CPU from AMD. Which was the only one not designed with Jim Keller on board and he is back again, so... a little hope.

I was going to comment that if this comes out soon enough this could very well be a viable option for Nintendo's NX if it is a console, but then I remembered that Zen+ is x86 and Nintendo supposedly is making the NX still exist in the same eco-system that the 3DS and Wii U are in as well, and that dashes my hopes somewhat.

We will have to wait until details leak or Nintendo announces their next console/handheld, but Forrest (I think it was him) pointed out they were working on a semi custom chip, which actually is a full custom chip but couldn't go more into detail at this point. You were also able to see that they mentioned 2nd and 3rd party IP in their modular design for SoCs. At this point, everything is possible.

Xenus

Midrange I5 or i7 level AMD Zen CPU at 6 to 8 tflops and 16GB HBM at 640GB/s

You are really underrating the RAM jumps gen to gen. they are 8x. So 64B/s of something on the orderof 1-2TB/s would just be downright beastly.

OmegaDL50

You are really underrating the RAM jumps gen to gen. they are 8x. So 64B/s of something on the orderof 1-2TB/s would just be downright beastly.

Yeah the PSX had 2MB of DRAM and the PS2 had 32MB of RDRAM that is a 16 times increase of memory.

The PS3 had split memory pool 256MB XDR Rambus DRAM clocked the speed of the CPU, and 256MB of GDDR3 for the GPU. For a combined 512MB which is another 16 times increase over the PS2.

The PS4 having 8GB GDDR5 for both system and graphics memory which ironically another 16 times increase over the PS3's 512.

Does this mean the PS5 could also get a 16 times increase, probably not. Not even high gaming desktops need 128GB of ram, In fact as far as I know only server computers have that much.

I'd say realistically the PS5 if memory demands and multithreaded games keep up as is, it's likely to have a similar memory pool that the PS4 has, maybe pushing it to 16GB if we are lucky. I'll be surprised if they push for 16GB dedicated to the system and the GPU has it's own pool of memory.

Time will tell. For now I'm happy with what I have, of course things could always be better, but I'm sensible enough to realistic ground myself to keep my expectations in check.

AMD is keeping the FX line. I wonder if will be an 8 core 16 thread chip. How much is intel's 8 core? Could you imagine getting one for like $150 and it OC'ing to like 4.5-5. Maybe all fantasy but that's what I hope to see.

While I'm sure we won't get a $150 16 thread chip, I think a 8C/16T SKU is very likely. The deliberate ditching of integrated graphics and focus on high core count pretty much confirms it.

Server SKUs are expected to scale up to 16C/32T with integrated graphics and HBM included. 8C/16T sans integrated graphics and HBM at 14nm FinFet isn't exactly an outlandish extrapolation. If AMD can get there lineup to matchup like the below, and they hit their IPC and clock targets, they'll have a great value product on their hands:

4C/8T vs. i3
6C/12T vs. i5
8C/16T vs. i7

jwhit28

Unless something goes horribly wrong with Skylake I won't be shopping for a CPU in 2016. I hope this will force a K series i3 finally, or AMD can release a $150-$180 part that can soar past the locked i5's with good cooling.

LordOfChaos

So...They'll have better performance than i3?

Their rough figures put them in the IPC range of Hawell i5s/i7s, so yeah. 1.4x Excavator, which is 1.2x Piledriver, so 1.68x gain in total. Meanwhile full bore Haswell parts enjoy a 40-55% IPC increase over Piledriver.

Xenus

Yeah the PSX had 2MB of DRAM and the PS2 had 32MB of RDRAM that is a 16 times increase of memory.

The PS3 had split memory pool 256MB XDR Rambus DRAM clocked the speed of the CPU, and 256MB of GDDR3 for the GPU. For a combined 512MB which is another 16 times increase over the PS2.

The PS4 having 8GB GDDR5 for both system and graphics memory which ironically another 16 times increase over the PS3's 512.

Does this mean the PS5 could also get a 16 times increase, probably not. Not even high gaming desktops need 128GB of ram, In fact as far as I know only server computers have that much.

I'd say realistically the PS5 if memory demands and multithreaded games keep up as is, it's likely to have a similar memory pool that the PS4 has, maybe pushing it to 16GB if we are lucky. I'll be surprised if they push for 16GB dedicated to the system and the GPU has it's own pool of memory.

Time will tell. For now I'm happy with what I have, of course things could always be better, but I'm sensible enough to realistic ground myself to keep my expectations in check.

Yeah I don't see it getting 128 but I aslos don't see just16GB's as lucky. That would be a paltry increase in 2020. I'd see another APU like design with 32GB's HBM/HBC at about 1TB/s bandwidth as probably the most likely.

AmyS

8x Zen+ cores with decent clockspeed (3-4 GHz maybe ?) in next-gen console APUs should be a major improvement over the 8x Jaguar cores at 1.6 GHz (right?) in PS4/Xbone.

On 10nm FinFET, that should leave enough room on the APU for a 10-12 TFLOP GPU, I would hope anyway.

32 GB of ~1 TB/sec HBM.

Would be pretty decent for 2019-2020 consoles that should almost certainly support 4K resolution, and improved VR devices (improved over Rift CV1 and Morpheus coming in 2016 for PC and PS4 respectively).

I mean, any of that sound totally unreasonable ?

Theonik

Yeah I don't see it getting 128 but I aslos don't see just16GB's as lucky. That would be a paltry increase in 2020. I'd see another APU like design with 32GB's HBM/HBC at about 1TB/s bandwidth as probably the most likely.
I really don't think they will wait until 2020 to release a PS5. I can easily see them releasing it in 2018 or sooner. But even there I think it's anyone's guess what they are actually able to do in this thing. I think Sony will be iteratively designing the PS5 again like they did with the PS4 so it's basically 'what they can get away with whenever they feel like releasing this thing' which is entirely up to the market.

Top Bottom