• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America not getting regular size N3DS, confirmed.

Yeah, well "a tad" was probably putting it lightly but I think the new size is perfect, I couldn't get into the OG 3DS because it was just too small.
Oh yeah, it is understandable. I did not understand the appeal of a 5 inch phone until I bought one. So much easier on the eyes than a 4 inch.

I agree with people though 5 inches is more portable and you are not even giving them an option. 6 inches is better in long play sessions, but is cramp in your pocket.

Zero²

it confirmed that it wont be coming? Might be just that the XL will come first and the normal one at a later date?

Derpyduck

Banned
I was getting the XL and my daughter the regular. Her reaction to me telling her it's not coming out was, "OK, I'll save my money for something else.". I was a little sad inside that she didn't take it harder, but she and her friends don't have a soft spot for Nintendo like I did as a kid. They just see Nintendo as another company. An out of touch company, to be more honest.

Mercutio

If they don't give any type of explanation or possible future release date, I'm ready for Reggie to hit the road.

Man, Reggie's been screwing this market with bullshit decisions for years. If this is the thing that makes you want him to go that's cool, but I've NEVER understood anyone who thinks he's doing a good job.

I wonder if they're holding off on the regular N3DS because there's so much leftover stock of the older models that they want to clear those out first, and the best way (in Nintendo's minds) to do that is sell this premium version to make those oldies look like better deals. Then later this year, they'll unleash the cheaper N3DS with a Pokemon game for all the hypes.

HardRojo

Is the only difference between the screens (regular and XL) the pixel density? Because if that's it then I'm completely fine with the XL. I had no problems with my previous 3DS XL.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Man, Reggie's been screwing this market with bullshit decisions for years. If this is the thing that makes you want him to go that's cool, but I've NEVER understood anyone who thinks he's doing a good job.

It's a culmination. And today was the tip of the iceberg. NoA look like fools compared to JP and EU.

Occam

Iwata made himself boss of NoA last year.

R0ckman

Yeah, this one is too easy.
tiL3IzgQWiYG9JnViz96_Forehead%20Wipe.gif

Anyone know the context of this gif? It seems like it was deliberately set up to be one.

Vibranium

Banned
Fine by me, I remember reading a member of the press predicting Nintendo wouldn't bring it over, at least not right now. It does suck for the people who wanted it though.

I'm getting a black XL.

n0razi

as one of the few people who hate the XL (crappy dpi, floppy hinge, crappy speakers, too large in general for a portable), i will be using my launch ambassador 3DS even though the battery hold an hour charge now

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Europeans must be the master race

Effect

The data might very well show a sharp decline in original 3DS sales once the XL was introduced. Noticed how most if not all the special editions were XL models as well in the past. That's very likely the model that is selling best in the west, maybe by a very large margin, and could very well be the reason why only the XL is being offered. One doesn't have to like it but it makes sense I feel and can understand why Nintendo would do this.

Think about this as well. What stores would be okay with stocking the face plates? Amiibos are difference between they can be combined with Disney Infinity and Skylander sections. Where do the face plates go? Who will they be selling to? What is the market for that?Honestly look at that.

It really is quite disappointing, as I was hoping to upgrade to the regular new one from my current old XL. Guess I'll be waiting until they decide to release the regular one.

Probably a decision made for the boring reasons too (supply constraints, comparable immediate profit, over-banking on potential upgraders).

BooJoh

No biggie to me as I want the XL only.

Nintendo has 2DS and other options for budget-minded customers.

2DS doesn't have the enhanced 3D (in fact, it has no 3D at all) nor does it have the extra stick/buttons or horsepower. It's also less portable than the n3DS. It's not always about the cost, some of us prefer the smaller form factor, especially those of us with smaller hands and good enough vision to not need 1PPI screens.

I understand that the XL completely overtook the 3DS in the west. It was no contest. And I understand that looking at those numbers you would say it wasn't worth the money to bring over the regular N3DS.

But that is ignoring EVERYTHING that makes the N3DS appealing compared to the NXL, while there is virtually nothing appealing about the original 3DS versus the XL.

Geist-

Well, damn. I was actually going to buy a standard n3DS at launch, which would have been my first nintendo product since the first DS lite. Well, back to my phone DS emulator. :-(

Mike Golf

as one of the few people who hate the XL (crappy dpi, floppy hinge, crappy speakers, too large in general for a portable), i will be using my launch ambassador 3DS even though the battery hold an hour charge now

Don't know how I forgot that in my previous post about the benefits of the OG 3DS. The speakers in the XL are dissapointingly worse both in volume and fough surround rage.

Nintendo of America makes some atrocious decisions. Such as...where are the Fatal Frame games Nintendo? why did it take so long for us to get Xenoblade and Last story, but I'm cool with this.

The XL is sooo much better than the standard 3DS, I didn't realize there were people that preferred the regular one at all. Either way, it sucks for those affected, if only NOA cared about the perception of niche crowds and hardcore gamer more...

Top Bottom