• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America not getting regular size N3DS, confirmed.

R0ckman

For people who thought the one's who were questioning things were crazy, it was just logical, why would they have two posters advertising multiple products? I thought it was odd that the new 3DS was not with the XL in the poster because showing two separate posters would increase the chance of confusion. It was at that point I knew something was wrong.

Kusagari

Obviously NoA has sales info saying that us big, fat handed Americans buy the XL in much larger quantities than the regular 3DS.

Eat some hamburgers, whiners.

Kevin

Holy crap is Nintendo screwing up an awful lot lately. What's going on over there? I mean I would personally prefer the XL model anyways but a LOT of people prefer the smaller model so having choices is a no brainer (or one would think) and the no charger thing is just pure and simple greed. What's next, a console without a controller?

Then you could talk about the fact that America is practically the last country to get the new 3DS or how the Majora's Mask Limited Edition preorders lasted but a few hours.

Screw ups all around and this is just one week!

Snaku

Banned
NoA probably has a crap ton of regular 3DS stock that they didn't want to further devalue. I'd imagine this is an inventory issue.

Or they're just making it up as they go.

That was the excuse they were giving for delaying the system into this year, to sell off back stock.

Owzers

Holy crap is Nintendo screwing up an awful lot lately. What's going on over there? I mean I would personally prefer the XL model anyways but a LOT of people prefer the smaller model so having choices is a no brainer (or one would think) and the no charger thing is just pure and simple greed. What's next, a console without a controller?

Then you could talk about the fact that America is practically the last country to get the new 3DS or how the Majora's Mask Limited Edition preorders lasted but a few hours.

They are trying to help their biggest fans let go of the dream.

diaspora

As far as the Wii U is concerned, there's lots of good stuff on the way- the big missteps in this direct were 3DS based IMO.

Kusagari

I really am getting sick of NoA's relationship with Gamestop, which has them being the only company that gets LE's that they sell out of in 10 minutes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
XL/LL sales dwarf the 'regular' sized systems in every region. So while it might be true, NA is the only region that decided to go this route.

It would have been nice for NOA to offer something like the Ambassador N3DS. It would give their die-hard fans a way to grab a non-XL unit, but wouldn't eat up space at retail. I'm afraid they'll see the out cry now and release the N3DS later in the year in NA, but the majority of people that would have bought it would have conceded to buying a XL. Meaning terrible sales and enforcing their ideology.

R0ckman

giphy.gif

Lynd7

The XL may dwarf the sales of the OG, but, it's not just down to size. Most people buy the XL because it is a better quality piece of hardware, the design is more pleasing to hold and look at.

TeegsD

I'm ok with this, regular sized 3DS felt too small and the XL just feels more comfortable and looks a lot better. Good work, NoA

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
XL is better. Even though there are reduced options and nobody likes that, NoA is doing you a favor by making you choose the XL.

melman101

I'm so on the fence. I really would like a new piece of kit, but I don't really want the XL. I don't want to settle. I love the size of the original (it was a bit small but the new one is slightly larger which I think would fix my issue). I just don't see how I'd be able to put the XL in my pants pocket. LOL.

This really sucks. Why Nintendo, why????

Iceberg

That's the reason for the lack of Ambassador n3DS program for NA: no regular n3DS planned to be released.

Silly anticonsumer move, NoA, bad, bad, bad.

All the faceplates are for Europeans, Japanese and Australians now. My wallet is ready

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
XL is better. Even though there are reduced options and nobody likes that, NoA is doing you a favor by making you choose the XL.

Buy giving US folks the inferior model?
IQ is important to a lot of enthusiasts, and the n3DS being slightly bigger than OG 3DS makes it the perfect size without compromising image quality and still retaining the pros the OG XL had over the regular model (home/start/select buttons, matte finish...) plus portability, faceplates and colored buttons.

The Lamp

Buy giving US folks the inferior model?
IQ is important to a lot of enthusiasts, and the n3DS being slightly bigger than OG 3DS makes it the perfect size without compromising image quality and still retaining the pros the OG XL had over the regular model (home/start/select buttons, matte finish...) plus portability, faceplates and colored buttons.

Uh, no. The 3DS resolution is ass on any of the systems. You will see jaggies no matter the system.

tronic307

Does anyone have sales figures for n3DS vs n3DS LL (XL)? I heard it was like 3:1 in favor of 3DS LL. That must be why NoA is doing this. Maybe if the regular model does really well in EU there's a chance?

Oh, and I think the reason that people bought the original XL over the OG model in the US was because the original system is a steaming pile of ugly shit with sharp edges. New normal size is glorious and beautiful.

WonderPup

The PPI is an issue. It is objectively worse.

You guys say you prefer the XL; that's great, I really wish I were in your shoes. I, however, prefer the non-XL, as do many people. Can you not understand that some consumers don't like losing features that they enjoy in order to have new features? Let alone that we'll have to pay more money to do so, if we want those new features? That's really all there is to it. I don't know how else to say it.

No, they can't understand. Even though we state and re-state our reasons for wanting the smaller model, there are people who can't wrap their heads around it. Instead, they keep posting garbage like this:

I'm ok with this, regular sized 3DS felt too small and the XL just feels more comfortable and looks a lot better. Good work, NoA

Jedi2016

Do we have a thread for the "I was getting the XL anyway" crowd?

I can understand the anger (if not how angry some people are getting), but bear in mind that, for many of us, it doesn't have any effect whatsoever.

And for the love of God, speak with your wallet... don't piss and moan here and then buy the XL anyway with the "better than nothing" attitude. If Nintendo doesn't want your money, then don't give it to them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're weird. Why would you applaud a company for offering fewer options to their customers?

Josh5890

Oh, and I think the reason that people bought the original XL over the OG model in the US was because the original system is a steaming pile of ugly shit with sharp edges. New normal size is glorious and beautiful.

That is why I was interested in at least trying out the "new3DS" regular. I'll give the new XL a look though.

Laconic

Banned

The only reason I bought the original XL over the original regular 3DS, was the significant difference in battery life.

With the New versions having better battery life, there is zero reason for me to settle for the XL version.

I should be able to buy whichever version I'd like.

Sod this shit.

If I can't have the system I want, I'll settle for the $200 in my pocket.

Top Bottom