• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

sam12

Did anyone catch Finn's appearance, he was one of the hill folk, one of the sons who was recording.

Also there is a theory out there that Taissa Farmiga was the witch that Matt had the encounters with, the original supreme I guess. Maybe thats why in this last episode they didn't show her face, saving her for the future episodes.

Started good but now its falling apart, typical AHS season.

This is the exact opposite for the wife and I. These last two episodes have really been good and the first half was dry as dirt. My retroactive suggestion would've been to edit the "Roanoke" sections of the story down to 30 min and add a fake ten minute "Talking Roanoke" to the end of every episode. This twist would be somewhat ruined but the early first five episodes would be way more interesting. They could've had a "guest" every week and woven in the actor reveals in those segments.

Dalek

This is the exact opposite for the wife and I. These last two episodes have really been good and the first half was dry as dirt. My retroactive suggestion would've been to edit the "Roanoke" sections of the story down to 30 min and add a fake ten minute "Talking Roanoke" to the end of every episode. This twist would be somewhat ruined but the early first five episodes would be way more interesting. They could've had a "guest" every week and woven in the actor reveals in those segments.

I feel the same way. The twist made it more interesting.

Monocle

I don't know how you guys are loving this, but to each their own. I'm forcing myself to watch it here.
It's just so cheesy, all over the place, lowbrow, C-tier, etc. The acting isn't that good, the writing is laughable...

To each their own, I guess.
Why do you do this to yourself? Stop watching. It's so simple.

Started good but now its falling apart, typical AHS season.
What? No. The last two episodes are payoff for everything that came before. How can you say the season is "falling apart" during the most eventful portion so far?

So far this season has:

1) Established the history and perils of Roanoke.

2) Introduced us to a large cast of characters and showed us their motives, flaws, and behavior under pressure.

3) Explored a novel format with the interviews and reenactments.

4) Delivered rapid fire twists that cleverly exploit our expectations by radically changing the characters' relationships, personalities, and the context of their presence in Roanoke. Now, suddenly, the actors are themselves, and we get to see them contrasted with the real people, and we get to hear how they view the events we witnessed as reenactments. Everyone is stranded together in Roanoke, forced to confront the real terrors they either reenacted or actually experienced before.

It's a well constructed season that plays with multiple layers of meta commentary by showing us a series of nested stories. We start with reenacted versions of events, then shift to the perspective of the crew behind the scenes and later the actors and the people they played, then see the crew and cast lose control as Roanoke overwhelms them. This season's progression makes perfect sense. Every event so far has been justified by earlier setup. One thing leads logically to the next, and at every turn the show takes what we've already seen and tweaks it in an interesting way.

It's like you're not even paying attention to the story.

Pretty bad episode. I really wish they would have ditched the found footage style, though. Got really dumb whenever they would show multiple angles yet there weren't enough cameras to film everything. For example, when the cannibals were feeding Shelby and Not-Lee, there were like three different angles but only one camera.

Or when Agnes is in front of the Butcher, there's a random camera on the ground in the front yard for some reason.

Really? Because I remember all of those complaints being leveled against season one too.

Seriously. The first one had:

Evan Peters in a rubber bondage suit.
The "Piggy Man" episode which was basically one big shaggy-dog joke
The Breakfast Club with school shooting ghosts
Patrick and Chad
Heartwarming ghost Christmas
That ending

Or when Agnes is in front of the Butcher, there's a random camera on the ground in the front yard for some reason.

That's the camera that Agnes brought, isn't it? The two characters watching from upstairs even ask, "Why is she filming herself?"

Toa TAK

Banned
Seriously. The first one had:

Evan Peters in a rubber bondage suit.
The "Piggy Man" episode which was basically one big shaggy-dog joke
The Breakfast Club with school shooting ghosts
Patrick and Chad
Heartwarming ghost Christmas
That ending
I just had a mental rerun of the first season again.

That ending was crazy, though. I want a follow-up on that.

Man, I have been so dissapointed in the season since the twist. The original people coming back to the house is the most unbelievable thing ever. It seemed like I could get past that as the set up for the rest of the season seemed good, but now everyone's running around with phone cameras while they're being hunted as if that's practicle. 60% of the deaths have come at the hands of the living. Nothing was creepy in episode 7.

I haven't felt like this for each season either. 1,2 and 5 I enjoyed all the way through. I didn't like 4 or 5 as much as I liked the start of this season either. It's just crashing so hard for me right now

Dalek

Man, I have been so dissapointed in the season since the twist. The original people coming back to the house is the most unbelievable thing ever. It seemed like I could get past that as the set up for the rest of the season seemed good, but now everyone's running around with phone cameras while they're being hunted as if that's practicle. 60% of the deaths have come at the hands of the living. Nothing was creepy in episode 7.

I haven't felt like this for each season either. 1,2 and 5 I enjoyed all the way through. I didn't like 4 or 5 as much as I liked the start of this season either. It's just crashing so hard for me right now

I feel like they gave each of the three characters a very strong reason for coming back.

I feel like they gave each of the three characters a very strong reason for coming back.

Same. They may not be completely logical, but nothing about them are utterly outrageous. Shelby is desperate to get Matt back and has full on tunnel vision to that goal, Matt is similarly enchanted and obsessed with getting back to the witch, and Lee is doing it purely for more money to give to her daughter despite all the danger involved. The film people have no idea any of the stuff was real since they filmed in the summer and never experienced any of the real happenings.

I'm a little annoyed by how it originally said that everyone died under mysterious circumstances, but so far no death has been mysterious at all.

I'm fact, each death has been extremely well-documented.

This season is already among the best AHS has done.
They're really going all in with the body count and I love the two sets of characters interacting with each other. It's great stuff and after abandoning the show halfway through Freak Show I'm glad to be back in and enjoying it.

I'm a little annoyed by how it originally said that everyone died under mysterious circumstances, but so far no death has been mysterious at all.

I'm fact, each death has been extremely well-documented.

Maybe it's just in reference to the fact that they are being killed by ghosts and shit that's not easily believable or understandable.

OrionX

Sarah Paulson deserves to die this season for her accent alone.

Lol, usually I love Sarah Paulson but I must agree. The only thing I've liked about her British character was the 911 call about Agnes trying to steal her Saturn award. XD

Has Sarah ever not made it to the end of a season though? Aside from season 1 where she was in like one episode. I've learned to never count her out. I would've expected Shelby to be the one to survive, but after this episode my money's on Lee or not-Lee/Angela Bassett.

Kuros

Lol, usually I love Sarah Paulson but I must agree. The only thing I've liked about her British character was the 911 call about Agnes trying to steal her Saturn award. XD

Has Sarah ever not made it to the end of a season though? Aside from season 1 where she was in like one episode. I've learned to never count her out. I would've expected Shelby to be the one to survive, but after this episode my money's on Lee or not-Lee/Angela Bassett.

edit: oh sorry missed the not in make it through a season.

Enco

Yeah... Asylum minus the final episode is the best season by far.

The first half of this season was quality but I am afraid this will suffer as other seasons do, the last episodes being a mad dash and flustercluck without Ryan Murphy knowing how to end a season.
Agreed about asylum.

This season bests the others though. I didn't even bother finishing last season.

jond76

Banned
Same. They may not be completely logical, but nothing about them are utterly outrageous. Shelby is desperate to get Matt back and has full on tunnel vision to that goal, Matt is similarly enchanted and obsessed with getting back to the witch, and Lee is doing it purely for more money to give to her daughter despite all the danger involved. The film people have no idea any of the stuff was real since they filmed in the summer and never experienced any of the real happenings.

Lee actually came back to clear her name from suspicion of killing her exhusband. But yeah, reasonable reasons overall.

.JayZii

Banned

Has Sarah ever not made it to the end of a season though? Aside from season 1 where she was in like one episode. I've learned to never count her out.
I think by the end of the season the twist will be that she's the new supreme.

Monocle

This season is already among the best AHS has done.
They're really going all in with the body count and I love the two sets of characters interacting with each other. It's great stuff and after abandoning the show halfway through Freak Show I'm glad to be back in and enjoying it.
Yeah it's great so far. But I'd definitely say Hotel blows it away in terms of characters, setting, and style. This season's saving grace is the format. Having a group of characters and a second group of actors that played them is a great concept.

I hope Lee is the one to live. Plz don't let it be Shelby or British Sarah Paulson.

See... I think it might actually be her because I think she's a descendant of the settlers. I have seen enough american TV and Film to know that there is a frequent use of non-american accents to telegraph villians before they are officially revealed to the viewers.

I think she plays dumb by the end of the show acting like shes the sole survivor when she was actually the part of the reason everyones dead.

Gorger

Wonder if they will do anymore lovecraft horror. The only hints of that they have done is lady gaga character and when you saw the earth breathing like it was alive.

Nah I want them to make a serious Lovecraftian season based on the Cthulhu mythos. There is so little Lovecraft in TV-Shows it's really saddening.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm rooting for Lee to be the survivor, but she's in quite a pickle right now. No matter what happens I kind of feel like Mason will play a role (otherwise why tease him earlier) but whether or not he kills her or saves her is anyone's guess. I kind of feel like there is a chance he might save her because of their daughter.

Yeah it's great so far. But I'd definitely say Hotel blows it away in terms of characters, setting, and style. This season's saving grace is the format. Having a group of characters and a second group of actors that played them is a great concept.

I just binged Hotel over the last few days and I have to agree. Hotel was really something.

The character development this season has been really bad. We really only have development (much of it via re-enactments) for Matt, Shelby, Lee, and the Butcher. We have basically zero for the actors and anyone associated with the production.

kirblar

I just binged Hotel over the last few days and I have to agree. Hotel was really something.

The character development this season has been really bad. We really only have development (much of it via re-enactments) for Matt, Shelby, Lee, and the Butcher. We have basically zero for the actors and anyone associated with the production.
Given that the series has turned into a slasher film hybrid on the back half, I don't think character development has been a primary concern this season. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The character development this season has been really bad. We have basically zero for the actors and anyone associated with the production.

The people associated with the production were in one episode (well, they were also in this week's episode but they were all immediately killed off) and the actors were only introduced last week (plus, they've been on a roller coaster of terror ever since) so what do you really expect?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The people associated with the production were in one episode (well, they were also in this week's episode but they were all immediately killed off) and the actors were only introduced last week (plus, they've been on a roller coaster of terror ever since) so what do you really expect?

I know its only been 2 episodes since the production side of the show was introduced and I think they have done as much as they could do given the amount of episodes they have had to work with. They've met my expectations given the premise/setup for the season.

But what I'm really saying is that because of the format of this season they can't do the sort of proper character development that they have done in prior seasons. There is only so much they can do with these characters now that half the season has passed before they were properly introduced. The premise of this season is great, but it is a double-edged sword and I think the character development has definitely suffered for it.

kirblar

I know its only been 2 episodes since the production side of the show was introduced and I think they have done as much as they could do given the amount of episodes they have had to work with. They've met my expectations given the premise/setup for the season.

But what I'm really saying is that because of the format of this season they can't do the sort of proper character development that they have done in prior seasons. There is only so much they can do with these characters now that half the season has passed before they were properly introduced. The premise of this season is great, but it is a double-edged sword and I think the character development has definitely suffered for it.
This type of genre very specifically doesn't do much character development because of the nature of it- it's design to set em up, then mow em down. This is them actually using American Horror Story's anthology format in a way they hadn't done before.

Just got to the latest episode and i gotta say, this has been a odd sort of season but Roanoake return to hell 3 day special is the best. So good. Everyone dropping left and right with good bits of gore and violence.

Matt getting his skull neganed by shelby. LOL.

aslo Katy Bate's death was bliss.

this season has been hilariously good.

Hotel never click with me and I bailed after the 2nd episode. I've really enjoyed this season. Him loving the witch was a funny twist, not so funny was her reaction to it.

I'm actually looking forward to each episode.

Hotel is pretty great. There's a beauty to a lot of it and the guy playing the husband who became the woman (crossdressing) bartender is amazing in it. Loved hotel. Up there with season 1. Gaga was also really amazing in it. One of the better seasons.

I feel like Dominic might be the survivor, he pretty much only looks out for himself, and I feel if he gets the opportunity to do some sort of deal with the ghosts to save himself (or the witch now that Matt's gone) that he would absolutely take it.

kirblar

I feel like Dominic might be the survivor, he pretty much only looks out for himself, and I feel if he gets the opportunity to do some sort of deal with the ghosts to save himself (or the witch now that Matt's gone) that he would absolutely take it.
I loved the juxtaposition of his "villain" confessional, followed immediately by him being a hero.

I hope Lee is the one to live. Plz don't let it be Shelby or British Sarah Paulson.

No way its Shelby. She's too easy a guess. She's currently the injured "last girl" trope, which is precisely why they won't do it.

Also, to SymbiantXenos' comment above... I buy that completely as an option. They worked hard to bake in that bit with the TV execs, etc... Oh, and no need to spoiler tag complete speculation. Its not like there are even official rumors to that effect floating around.

JonnyKong

I didn't actually mind Paulson's British accent up until she pronounced the word homicide like "homey-side", it sounded very silly.

Top Bottom