• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American McGee on Microsoft's Decision to Release Xbox One in China

Man, what a huge gamble. They could open the Chinese market for everyone if they do it right. If they succeed they will make a fortune.

numble

Same reason they don't go after China for currency manipulation, they're powerless when it comes to doing anything against a country that provides you with cheap-ass labor, and now they have a bit of spending power every other country is lusting after that consumer market, they don't understand the concept of intellectual property rights and they don't share the same values (moral or otherwise) as those the western world do.

They've cracked down on piracy. This is how the last 3 Marvel movies have made $300 million in China and TV shows are getting a lot of licensing revenue, and why you can no longer find many pirated movies on the major streaming sites, many torrent sites are blocked, etc.

FranXico

It's not overwhelming, it's the norm.

Which is a bigger problem then overwhelming.

I was in Peru two years ago for my wedding, and my father in law showed me a mall that was crawling with pirate software stores. For a few soles, you can literally go to any of these stores, pick any software, and they'll burn a pirate DVD for you right there.

He jokingly told me "Thinking of making money selling software around here, heh? Think again..."

I can only imagine this being even more widespread in China.

Mr. X

Selling consoles back to the people who put it together.

Jokes aside, it's not going to go well, Try South America and get those countries to remove the crazy tariffs, promote game development from that region and then sell those to other markets. That's a wholly unique culture to have games in the perspective of, it'll be something fresh.

Biker19

Banned
AmericanMcGee has pretty much said what myself & some other posters on here have already been saying on this subject, yet everyone else still believes that consoles in China are going to suddenly give a big boost in sales to console manufactures like magic.

Zarx

There is a market in China, and the first company that breaks through will reap untold fortunes. I can't really fault any company for trying, but it will be difficult.

I doubt the XBOX ONE will be the breakthrough product, (un)fortunately.

Anyways, please keep making games American McGee! I've never played any of them and probably never will, but I want to have a reason to say "Spicy Horse" for many decades to come. (It's probably the best company name of all time, after all!)

Companies have already broke into the Chinese game market. The online games market was worth $13.7b last year (PC and Mobile almost exclusively F2P) and it's the fastest growing market. Consoles exist already, both Chinese made ones and import consoles but they haven't made a dent in the market.

Client-based PC games earned $8.87 billion (53.66 billion yuan), while browser games earned $2.11 billion (12.77 billion yuan) and mobile games pulled in just $89.39 million (541 million yuan). Console-based games accounted for a small percentage of the total, just $14.87 million
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-2013-video-game-market-668542

down 2 orth

He's right on every point.

I see only two ways this can play out:

1. Microsoft gets bled dry, losing lots of money and probably intellectual property as well.

2. Their surveillance technology is so good that the chinese government will support them and they end up selling a lot of consoles.

Actually i think both of the scenarios will happen. Enjoy China, Microsoft ;)

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft (and Sony likewise) have not thought of all those things. Thankfully, we can always rely on the supreme insight of American McGee to show us the way. If those companies are investing large sums of money in launching in China, they're probably doing it for a reason, and not oblivious to the plainly obvious challenges of the market.

patapuf

I don't think anyone expects consoles to break into the mainstream market.

But if MS is willing to launch consoles in Japan i don't see why they wouldn't in China. They'll sell some units.

t26

Same reason they don't go after China for currency manipulation, they're powerless when it comes to doing anything against a country that provides you with cheap-ass labor, and now they have a bit of spending power every other country is lusting after that consumer market, they don't understand the concept of intellectual property rights and they don't share the same values (moral or otherwise) as those the western world do.

tHip0Bi.jpg

Even if most people pirate, there are enough people buying games and getting them localize.

By the way, the West is behind by 4 games.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the gaming habits of Chinese children and teenagers on mobile and PC's are more easily hidden from parents than a console like the PS4/XB1.. The rich might buy it as a status symbol but the chances of them playing it several hours a day/buying several games per year are slim. Microsoft's main focus would be to advertise the TV features of the XB1 over the gaming capabilities and even with that done they'll face major competition that's much cheaper. I'll be surprised if they sell more than 2 million consoles in 2-3 years

starmud

tw29arj.png

That last part interests me the most. Some fresh development blood is always welcome.

i felt the same way until i saw the amount of crappy games that hit iOS/andriod and pc from the Chinese based development side.

a console could give some room to grow for the game developers in china, it could also just be another pipeline to throw cheaply made/uninspired games into.

theres no fault in MS testing the waters. will it work? probably not.

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft (and Sony likewise) have not thought of all those things. Thankfully, we can always rely on the supreme insight of American McGee to show us the way. If those companies are investing large sums of money in launching in China, they're probably doing it for a reason, and not oblivious to the plainly obvious challenges of the market.

thats what I was thinking..they've probably thought of everything everyone is bringing up here even before deciding to do that ... just curious what the plan is, hope it's succeessful for them.

numble

It's not overwhelming, it's the norm.

Which is a bigger problem then overwhelming.
The market and income for foreign movies, Apple products, sportswear, clothing and accessories (watches, bags, etc.), have still skyrocketed in China even in the face of a "piracy norm."

About point 1, I think he understimates the power of advertisement. Certainly the consoles are there but are not heavily promoted for that market. With local advertisement, a new potential market will immediatly open.

Tommy DJ

They're doing it because its seen as a growth market. No one can blame them, there are a lot of consumers there.

Whether or not they've carefully assessed the suitability of their product in the marketplace is a different story.

This is Microsoft and Sony. Sony in the 21st century is famous for producing products that no one wants, are crippled with flaws that are completely unacceptable, or suffer from horrendous product planning. What we get are Xperia phones with screens shittier than $300 phones from China and a media console box that was way too expensive for the target market and somehow cost Sony $400 per sale.

Microsoft isn't any better with its horrid implementation of Windows 8 that drove most desktop users insane and towards Windows 7, the horrible Microsoft Kin debacle, and their attempt to sell a $500 media box that could have been laden with DRM.

So I think its safe to be somewhat cynical about Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. It doesn't help that none of the consoles have a particularly coherent position in the marketplace, which is why a lot of people are not bullish about the future of dedicated consoles. It says a lot that the PS4 has the most coherent place in the market, as a "high powered" games console.

SparkTR

Apparently they're only looking at 100k units sold there. I agree that the market will be dry for consoles but it's not like anybody is making massive bets on it.

The market and income for foreign movies, Apple products, sportswear, clothing and accessories (watches, bags, etc.), have still skyrocketed in China even in the face of a "piracy norm."

Apples and oranges.

Let me explain.

The first thing to contextualize is that China, and many other developing countries, are experiencing growth. More income, more middle class, more purchasing power, etc. This has been true for many years, and it extends across all industries.

The big variable is 'the kind of growth' experienced by the segments of each industry's market.

You quote income for foreign movies growing. Contrary to popular belief, China had always had a thriving cinema/movie industry of its own. They produce a lot of films, the industry is growing, the income and screens grow. It's actually not that badly affected by the so-called piracy norm. Its impact are mostly once movies go to disc, but at the cinema level, consumer purchasing/watching intent hasn't changed much.

Even back in 2005-ish, domestic share of Chinese cinema has been around 50-60%. It remains true even today, but the income has grown. Why? Because there are 20,000 screens today compared to 5,000 screens back in 2005. The market has always been there, the dynamics hasn't shifted, it has only grown proportionally to the growth of the economy.

I won't pretend to be an expert on consumer goods and why BMWs, Mercedes Benz, Gucci, Chanel, Apple products, etc experience tremendous growth there, but China as a market, has always had a dynamic industry when it comes to those range of products. The luxury brands experience great growth there, but there was an existing market that found a sensible root for the brands to go there in the first place.

Now we get to gaming.

Now, I need to emphasis this. The gaming market in China has grown. Piracy norm hasn't somehow ruined the gaming market of China. More games are being made, Tencent is as big as ever, etc.

The concern regarding gaming in China is the kind of growth its experiencing.

The most popular games in China today, are games that were born out of the 'piracy norm' culture, aka games that can't be pirated and were built on business models that allowed gamers to casually sink in little money bit-by-bit into the experience via netcafe models, F2P and point-cards. League of Legends, DOTA, Crossfire, Korean/Chinese MMOs. Mobile games, etc.

Growth in the Chinese gaming scene are in the trajectory of said experiences, which are the inverse of the kind of experiences we tend to associate consoles with. (packaged retail products, $60 premium, etc)

Are there a market for such experiences in China? Obviously. But it's also clear that the market growth for gaming in China is significantly leaning towards the PC-master race and mobile-future king race. Consoles will struggle in China by virtue of what it is.

It's no different from how 'console gaming is dead in Japan' narrative gets played out. The gaming market has grown in Japan... but not console gaming. Mobile/handheld are the ones experiencing that growth.

They're doing it because its seen as a growth market. No one can blame them, there are a lot of consumers there.

Whether or not they've carefully assessed the suitability of their product in the marketplace is a different story.

I don't doubt for a second that they have, you don't do these things on a whim. Whether their plans will pan out the way they're hoping they would is another thing entirely.

If they dont go in expecting to reach a billion people, they could do okay. even with all the f2p/piracy going on, I think there is enough market to get similar sales of a small Euro nation.

Clearly the market growth for gaming in China is significantly leaning towards the PC-master race. Consoles will struggle in China by virtue of what it is.

It's no different from how 'console gaming is dead in Japan' narrative gets played out.

Pretty much, the ppl saying "I'm sure MS has thought about this seriously". . . yeah they're great at reading markets.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

That reeks of "We invented DirectX.".

SnakeEyes

Banned
It can't hurt Microsoft too much. I mean, they've got SO MANY consoles just sitting around worldwide collecting dust, they may as well send them somewhere.

I agree with all of McGee's points though, Xbone will do nowhere near what MS is expecting of it.

EGM1966

Can't disagree with his points but I suspect MS, Sony, etc. are well aware of those factors (or they should be). They'll try the market because they have to, because it's too big to ignore, even if going in they know the chance of failure is relatively high (which I BTW think it is and I give any of the big home consoles slim odds to succeed meaningfully outside the grey/black market).

In all likelihood China will be the new Japan for MS, somewhere to see low sales that add a bit to the total and offer some local developers to potentially work with - but you never know until you try and that's why they'll at least take a pop at the market.

Don't agree with him. If Microsoft (or Sony) take a more localized approach to China (cheaper console and games, localized content and partnership with local companies) I think they can build a market albeit not a tens of million market.

I'd argue the biggest issue is censorship and/or how much western games appeal to the chinese.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Don't agree with him. If Microsoft (or Sony) take a more localized approach to China (cheaper console and games, localized content and partnership with local companies) I think they can build a market albeit not a tens of million market.
Hahahaha. Not going to happen.

Piracy wins out in China. Every time.

down 2 orth

You would be surprised how many Western companies come here thinking that they are not oblivious to the challenges of the market, and then learn otherwise. It was and maybe still is the norm.

It's been done. Western-Chinese partnerships are what resulted in:

Call of Duty Online
NBA2K Online
FIFA Online 3

All F2P.

I'd argue the biggest issue is censorship and/or how much western games appeal to the chinese.

Pretty appealing. DOTA, LoL, a Counterstrike clone ( Crossfire ), NBA2K Online are some of the more popular games in China.

Every single one of them is F2P.

So hes saying xbox one and ps4 already are in china, people already have them, and theres a ton of piracy....but no one has the time and money for games too?

wtf?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How can the Chinese pirate games on the Xbox One. It's not possible.

It wasn't well articulated, but his points aren't wrong from the sense of 'don't bother.'

a. a console ban lift in China means nothing, as it has always been an unenforced soft-ban. There's no floodgates to be opened, availability of consoles in China has never been an issue.

b. From the perspective of a potential console market, the market is smaller than the population and size of the middle class would imply due to 'reasons', such as games being viewed as a negative influence on children, cultural reasons, etcetc. There's no empirical metrics to this, just perception.

c. Whatever is available of that market potential ( which is still pretty freaking large, because China ) is further diluted due to piracy, netcafe culture, F2P, mobile, etc. So he's saying that the gaming market in China, which is already not as big as the population suggest, ( but still very big ) is further diluted because of the market's focus on content traditionally non-console.

How can the Chinese pirate games on the Xbox One. It's not possible.

I think what the others meant is that "Chinese won't care (for consoles) if they can't play pirated games (on them)."

If the XBox One fails in China so what? At least they are willing to offer it, so why is that a bad thing to anyone outside of China? China has a growing population of middle-classed people, but what I would like to see is growth from Chinese game developers. So if that's all that comes out of this then that's a good thing.

Haunted

I agree with a lot of what he's saying but before finding out that he lives in China, my first reaction was, "why the fuck are we listening to American McGee for on this subject."

I wish MS(and probably Sony) all the best in China but I would be surprised if they do well. They should have just released the Xbox 360 there for super cheap and see how it does.
He not only lives in China, he also founded a game development studio in China (Spicy Horse, which gave us the excellent Alice: Madness Returns... and a handful of not so great smaller games). So it stands to reason that he does know a bit more about the Chinese market than most other people commenting on the topic, or at least has a valid perspective on it.

That said, it still is a huge, ever growing market with the most potential out of pretty much any market in the world right now. There are very good reasons to try and get your foot in officially, establishing a proper presence there (and not only be there via unofficial imports and reselling on online websites).

Miles X

How do we know what Microsofts expectations are? Perhaps they expect similar results in China as they got in Japan (1.5m).

Is it really going to be difficult to sell that in a country with 1 billion + people? It's like 1% ...

Having lived with Chinese exchange students for over a decade now, I can assure American McGee that they find time for both gaming and study.

:lol

The trick is going to be getting pricing structure right. There isn't a preexisting massive console market so they will have to think about what they're offering seriously. But it's certainly not an automatic financial disaster.
BesTV is in Shanghai which is a government sponsored/mandated next generation TV/Internet CATV region. The current STBs are $185. Family Friendly STB with Kinect and a MMORPG games model has been offered as the successful strategy. Educational and casual Indie games are coming. Parents can justify spending for early education via TV/Internet => XTV.

Top Bottom