• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Psycho... Uh, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching it in parts on YouTube. Why is it so funny?

Bateman's looking at a business card and observes it has a watermark and immediately becomes depressed and, probably, jealous.

"Oh my God, it has a watermark!"

Such a weird, funny movie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Great movie.

No offense to Ledger's performance but if Bale hadn't been cast as the Batman he would've made a great Joker.

Mr. Sam

I'm gonna have to say Bale's performance in this is better than Ledger's in TDK. Forgive me, GAF! Great, great movie.

Zoe

Man, I wanna see this movie again so badly (all cause of TDK). I haven't seen it since it was in the theater.

TheGrayGhost said:
Watching it in parts on YouTube. Why is it so funny?

Bateman's looking at a business card and observes it has a watermark and immediately becomes depressed and, probably, jealous.

"Oh my God, it has a watermark!"

Such a weird, funny movie.

dude you cant just watch parts. wtf? :lol my 2nd favorite movie behind shawshank redemption.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I don't know about funny, but I do know that it was great! Do yourself a favor and buy it. Rent it at the very least.

Zeliard

Bale was awesome as fuck in American Psycho. Still his best performance to date, IMO. He hasn't really gone for broke in any role since then, which is a shame.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Halycon said:
Great movie.

No offense to Ledger's performance but if Bale hadn't been cast as the Batman he would've made a great Joker.

Wow, I never considered this before but I agree. He would've.

Oni Jazar

OnkelC said:
read the book, forget the movie. seriously.

This is one of the rare instances where the movie is better IMO. The book is an extreme tortorus experience, not only for the extremely hyper gory depictions of torture but also for the relentless descriptions of mundane detail like attire. The movie gets the same message across with little mess. :p

Zeliard

Chairman85 said:
The Machinist?

I'm not talking about a physical transformation, which Bale goes through with regularity. I'm talking about an intensely charismatic role like Patrick Bateman.

JimiNutz

Banned
Watching it on Youtube :lol

Dude you can't just watch parts of a movie, it doesn't work like that :lol
'Hai Guys I watched Bruce Wayne doing push ups in Batman Begins I don’t get the big deal'
You're supposed to read/watch the whole thing.

YagizY

Oni Jazar said:
This is one of the rare instances where the movie is better IMO. The book is an extreme tortorus experience, not only for the extremely hyper gory depictions of torture but also for the relentless descriptions of mundane detail like attire. The movie gets the same message across with little mess. :p

OMG this is so true. I bought the book after seeing the movie and I got so frustrated reading the book. The descriptions of what everyone is wearing gets extremely annoying about 200 pages in.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Oni Jazar said:
the movie only scrapes the more boring parts of the surface of the book.

Hey, Paul! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! TRY GETTING RESERVATIONS AT DORCIA NOW YOU STUPID FUCKIN BASTARD!

lol, I can't stop laughing :lol :lol

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
Jacobi said:
The only book that ever gave me nightmares
Yea me too. Fucked up thing was I was reading all this insane shit while I was working at one of the quietest most conservative places.

Zeliard

TheGrayGhost said:
But why is it so funny?

Dark humor, man. The film is filled to the brim with it, especially Bale's performance. That's part of the magic of his performance - he does so much twisted shit throughout the film that it's a testament to Bale's talent that he can make people laugh while, say, chasing someone with a chainsaw.

BigAT

I'll be honest, for whatever reason I really didn't like this movie the first time I saw it. The more I look back on it though and see some scenes it has completely grown on me to the point where I find myself quoting it quite often.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Halycon said:
Great movie.

He should have played Batman & Joker at the same time, Eddie Murphey style :lol

master15

I actually concur it's hands down Bale's best performance and he's just so ridiculously funny through the whole piece mainly because he seems to be playing the Bateman character with such conviction, which increases the absurdity of the whole thing.

As for the book, I like many I assume read it after seeing the movie. It’s actually brilliant in its own unique way and delves into areas I suppose the film could never really capture. The inane description and ridiculous detail is exactly what I love so much about the book. You’ll have a whole chapter dedicated to Bateman describing his new Sony player and then you will have sordid details of a murder he committed on the next page. The very fact Bateman is an unreliable narrator makes it even more fun and kind of reads like the confessions of a truly disturbed but darkly funny man at times. Better still when reading the book now I just hear Christian Bale's voice and mannerisms over it :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TheGrayGhost said:
It's satire? So what exactly is satirizing? The stereotypical '80s businessmen?
Yuppies.

Guzim

One of my favorite movies, and my favorite book of all-time.

Everyone needs to read the book. So amazing.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Zeliard said:
Bale was awesome as fuck in American Psycho. Still his best performance to date, IMO. He hasn't really gone for broke in any role since then, which is a shame.

They're OK.

Flo

I saw it last night and it creeped me out! Nothing funny about it. The weird thing is that I saw it before and I thought it ended completely different than it did. I probably didn't finish watching it last time..

Kweh

The business card scene is awesome.

In whatever film Bale stars in, if he's ever in a suit, it always reminds me of Patrick Batemen :lol

Flo said:
I saw it last night and it creeped me out! Nothing funny about it. The weird thing is that I saw it before and I thought it ended completely different than it did. I probably didn't finish watching it last time..
i'm scared for your life. too much of a coincidence.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
feed-me-stray-cat.png

Furio53

this is one of the best movies ever. Watch it in full. I find myself laughing more and more every time i watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom