• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Psycho... Uh, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

master15

Date of Lies said:
Why does every one of those business cards say Vice President as the job title? How many vice presidents are there in that company?

Just another example of how the characters are constantly confusing themselves with others. Really just kind of confirms the whole idea of what Turkey was talking about earlier of this group of Wall Street high flyers basically being clones of one another, lacking any sort of distinct personality outside of the superficial.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Date of Lies said:
Why does every one of those business cards say Vice President as the job title? How many vice presidents are there in that company?
Never worked in corporate America, eh?

There are 3-4 VP's in my company of about 150, which is owned and operated by a larger company that easily could have anywhere from 5-20 VPs.

Each VP basically takes over specific functional areas.

master15 said:
Disagree, the Charlie Rose interview with Mary Herron really confirms her intention of playing up the absurdity and really focusing on the satirical element of the novel. I mean it goes without saying the brutal aspects of Bateman's character in the novel you mentioned are pretty much unfilmable (Hell they had enough problems with the ratings board with the threesome alone). However at its core that's what really the book is about and I think the film smartly distils all of those core elements.

The problem I have with the movie is that it does distill the core elements. You can distill any element of any work of fiction and still the get the point across, most things can be said in a few sentences, but the incredible amount of detail in the book is what makes it so great. The film suffers because of that.

RubxQub said:
Never worked in corporate America, eh?

There are 3-4 VP's in my company of about 150, which is owned and operated by a larger company that easily could have anywhere from 5-20 VPs.

Each VP basically takes over specific functional areas.

But then wouldn't they put VP of Finance on the card, or maybe Co-Vice President? But I didn't know you could have more than one person at a company with the "Vice President" title, so it's good to know.

master15 said:
Just another example of how the characters are constantly confusing themselves with others. Really just kind of confirms the whole idea of what Turkey was talking about earlier of this group of Wall Street high flyers basically being clones of one another, lacking any sort of distinct personality outside of the superficial.

It's funny cause it does reflect real life to some extent.

It's a great movie, gotta pick up the book eventually.

Karma Kramer said:
Charlie Rose interview with Bret Easton Ellis, Christian Bale and Mary Harron about American Psycho. Its 18+ minutes long, so get comfortable.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=1035674629008995892:1145000:1128000&hl=en

The director describes how she kind of fucked up... by making it confusing at the end... if everything was real or in Bateman's head.

:lol at talking about how people would see Bale as a villain from now on and bad for his career. Oh man, if only they knew.

Mau ®

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Yes, he killed those people. None of the themes work unless he killed those people.

The story is a criticism of yuppie culture. Yuppies have a lot of things, but one thing they don't have is individuality. Patrick is able to get away with his crimes (but unable, in the end, to get "credit" for them) because neither he nor any of his victims have any identity. He kills nameless hookers and homeless men, but this is not satisfying and soon feels the need to move onto something that might get him caught... or so he thought. Soon we learn that the concept of an alibi is meaningless when none of Paul Allen's friends and associates can even tell him apart from others like him. The characters constantly call each other by the wrong names; no one knows who anyone is and no one cares. This is the real condemnation of the yuppie culture: no one in it has any meaningful human relationship with anyone else, and no one is truly loved or cared about, and no one sticks out from the crowd even when they want to.

The lawyer did not have lunch with Paul Allen in London. He only thinks he did. He had lunch with some other guy in a suit he thought was Paul Allen. He doesn't know Bateman's face, and he doesn't know Allen's face. And even when people suspect a crime took place (the real estate lady at Allen's apartment, Bateman's lawyer), they ignore it and sweep it under a rug. They don't care about anyone else enough to get involved in a murder investigation. When the real estate lady saw corpses piled up in one of her properties, all she was was lowered property value. When the lawyer heard his client's grisly confession, all he heard was a client who hadn't been caught running his mouth unnecessarily. That's why he excused himself.

Not that either of them care at all about Paul Allen or Patrick Bateman, or even know who they are. As Patrick puts it himself: "I'm simply not there."

Really puts the movie's ending in a different light for me. I got that it was a criticism to that culture but the movie hinted at the end that Bateman imagined it all, when the assistant found his drawings.

Great movie.

Oh and I need Mr. Bateman's gym routine please.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Linkzg said:
:lol at talking about how people would see Bale as a villain from now on and bad for his career. Oh man, if only they knew.
My mom is still creeped out by his performance in Shaft.

Yea, I don't get it too much either.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the best movies this decade. The whole "FEED ME A STRAY CAT" thing is like the best ever.

Bursh

Wow I just finished watching this and went on gaf to see if there was a thread...page 1.

Anyway, I got from the ending that it was all in his head and that the materialistic culture has just brain-fucked him to shit. I guess the director could have handled it better although I think its really fine the way it is.

Other than that it was really funny at times and Bale was awesome. Great cast. I'm not sure why it took me so long to see this.

gotta go i got a res at Dorsia

Its been ages since I've seen the movie but
what were the hookers complaining about? I remember them having bloody noses, and the blonde chick saying she had to go to the hospital.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
The book - as with every Ellis book - is worth a read. Do them in order, because they're all connected in the most absolutely brilliant fashion. Lunar Park, in particular, brings it all together. I actually found it more disturbing than American Psycho, in a lot of ways.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
alistairw said:
The book - as with every Ellis book - is worth a read. Do them in order, because they're all connected in the most absolutely brilliant fashion. Lunar Park, in particular, brings it all together. I actually found it more disturbing than American Psycho, in a lot of ways.
Yup, Luna Park should be last.
Glamorama is a bit off side, though, dunno if/what he thought while wirting that.

alistairw

Actually, Glamorama is still my favourite book, possibly from any writer. I love the absolute feeling of confusion and alienation - the fact that
the mysteries are really never resolved, and you're left as completely dumbfounded as Victor at the end. He has practically no idea what's happening throughout the whole book, and neither does the reader.
I can understand why people might find it a bit less appealing than Ellis' other work, but I've always been really drawn to that aspect of it.

Desi

And what is the order the books follow. So I can pick them up and read them in the right order. Every time I end up in a bookstore I always pick up a different book.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Desi said:
And what is the order the books follow. So I can pick them up and read them in the right order. Every time I end up in a bookstore I always pick up a different book.
wikipedia said:
Bibliography

* Less Than Zero (1985)
* The Rules of Attraction (1987)
* American Psycho (1991)
* The Informers (linked short stories, 1994)
* Glamorama (1998)
* Lunar Park (2005)
* Imperial Bedrooms Sequel to Less Than Zero (Expected 2010)

Glamorama struck me as a Ellisized version of the movie
the game, the initiator being his father

alistairw

OnkelC said:
Glamorama struck me as a Ellisized version of the movie
the game, the initiator being his father

That's interesting. I've never even though it of it in that way. Actually, I don't think I've ever really tried to draw many conclusions from it - I've been happy enough just absorbing the book without that.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I read American Psycho back in my high school days and I had about a week of the most disturbing, intense sex dreams I've ever had. Pretty messed up stuff.

Liked the book though!

ibu

Zeliard said:
I'm not talking about a physical transformation, which Bale goes through with regularity. I'm talking about an intensely charismatic role like Patrick Bateman.

This guy obviously never saw Reign of Fire

SpeedingUptoStop said:
My mom is still creeped out by his performance in Shaft.

Yea, I don't get it too much either.

He was sickeningly captivating in that film, boiling anger was within me at the character he played.

Beepos

Bale using the excuse "I have to return some videos," or something along those lines made me crack up each time he pulled it out. It was perfect execution, no pun intended.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
read the book, forget the movie. seriously.

Ugh do the opposite of this. probably the only case in the history of the universe where the film craps all over the book.

Remember the great bits with the music reviews in the film? Yeah, 7-10 page overly descriptive nonsense crap. I ended up skipping pages, I never do that in books.

Beepos said:
Bale using the excuse "I have to return some videos," or something along those lines made me crack up each time he pulled it out. It was perfect execution, no pun intended.

yeah, that line gets me everytime.

2qu4z9v.gif

Zeliard

ibu said:
This guy obviously never saw Reign of Fire.

I have, unfortunately. Not a very good movie. And you must be confusing Bale with McConaughey, who basically stole the spotlight from Bale once he entered the scene.

Amory

The book was the most cruel piece of literature I've ever read. Excellent writing mechanics though, Bret Easton Ellis is amazingly skilled.

He's probably also insane.

Amory

You want me to fry you up some potato pancakes? Some latkes?

No, just, cool it with the anti-semitic remarks.

Ah. I need to go watch this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom