• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally is a hot mess.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This is not normal.

I didn't even know there were 500 games on the windows store.

Why are you purchasing them there when it's always the most expensive place to buy PC games and it has some of the worst DRM on the platform?

It’s laughable.

My only thought is you can use Bing Rewards money to buy games from the Windows Store. I can see the justification if they're getting these games essentially for free. Otherwise? 🤷‍♂️

Chiggs

The controller not working aside, explain to me how many times you need to update bios, windows or armory crate? Is this your first time with a PC ever?

If you think doing updates is inexcusable annoying for troubleshooting, setting up VR with the meta quest to work with all the different VR sources will give you a heart attack out of stress.

It was a compounding effect. The Windows updates, the Bios updates, the controller not functioning so I couldn't navigate to the update settings inside of Armory Crate, and then the Bios updates erasing the security pin I set up...all just led to a complete shitshow of a setup process. Now that it's functioning, it's a decent device, except for that pathetic battery life. The real issue now is the Sword of Damocles that is the SD card reader, and that's why it's being returned. What a joke.

I have a Meta Quest 2 and that was easy by comparison. Even getting it to work with Half-Life Alyx.

Honestly, some of you guys need to demand more from the products you purchase. I've especially noticed a particular blend of Stockholm Syndrome present with PC gamers--especially the ones who jump through rings of fire to get their product working, then act like they're the big dick on campus. It's fucking cringe.

KiteGr

Bite the bullet and get a Steam Deck OLED.

There have been always handheld console-shaped PCs, but they didn't catch on until now for a reason. Valve threw insane amounts of thought, care and value on the Deck to make it easily and effortlessly run most PC games, and since they are the main beneficiaries of someone having a deck, they sell it cheaper than the sum of it's parts.
Also, it being so popular means other users and 3rd parties feel safer designing around it, thus we have Emudeck and Devs making effort into making their games compatible

For what you want, it's by miles the best option.

Chiggs

Edit: I did install a 2TB drive into Ally as I didn’t want to chance on SD card issue.

I'm just surprised you're tolerating what is a critical design failure of the unit, resulting in a feature you can't use unless you enjoy bricking SD cards.

For me, that's a dealbreaker...especially on a device that is seemingly such a great fit for emulation.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I am not the OP but:

1- I do not like Oled screens, they look nice but they all tend to have this blotchness or uneven screen color/ brightness that is noticeable in a dark Gray background that is close to black but not fully black ( as it turns the pixels off at black ). Even the Switch has this problem ( Honestly was super lucky as my fold 5 doesn't have it, but my brother's one plus open or whatever it is called does.

2- the screen 120hz vs 90hz.. I would rather get 120 and at least I know the IPS I will not suffer screen burn-in

3- the difference in power is very big it's a joke to even compare them to each other as one a much more powerful ( Yes I know some games are better optimized etc ) but then lots of games don't even run at all pm deck but runs on the Asus

Not saying the Rog doesn't have its fair share of problems. but the OP is a drama queen ( kidding,,, kinda...maybe.... it's classified) if these things are bothering him and can't figure out how to get it sorted, then this whole PC thing is not for him at all.
The one plus is way better than samsung's trash foldable

i love mine, had it since the day after launch. i didn't mind the Windows set up, no different than a new Windows PC in my opinion.

i miss the Deck's trackpads and that's really it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bite the bullet and get a Steam Deck OLED.

There have been always handheld console-shaped PCs, but they didn't catch on until now for a reason. Valve threw insane amounts of thought, care and value on the Deck to make it easily and effortlessly run most PC games, and since they are the main beneficiaries of someone having a deck, they sell it cheaper than the sum of it's parts.
Also, it being so popular means other users and 3rd parties feel safer designing around it, thus we have Emudeck and Devs making effort into making their games compatible

For what you want, it's by miles the best option.
Even if I did not believe it was the best all around device (the “launcher” alone is so so good already), I would still go for the Deck for the work Valve put in Proton / Wine / Vulkan.

StereoVsn

I'm just surprised you're tolerating what is a critical design failure of the unit, resulting in a feature you can't use unless you enjoy bricking SD cards.

For me, that's a dealbreaker...especially on a device that is seemingly such a great fit for emulation.
It’s not a big of a deal for me as 2TB provides more then enough storage for both Steam/Windows and Retro Gaming.

It’s also very easy to image the drive through the built in BIOS utilities and of course cloning a windows drive is pretty straightforward as well.

I tested the SD slot briefly and it picked up my card, read it, copied, etc, but I didn’t want to risk it. For me the benefits of ROG outweighed the negatives.

I don’t have issues with anything else really. Hell, sleep seems amazing unlike usual Windows machines for me and lasts for days with minimal batter loss (it dumps to hibernate after a while).

So overall for the price while SD card situation sucks it’s not a deal breaker.

Hell if one was picking it up during the sales you could get the main model for like $500 which is crazy good price.

It’s still hobbled by Windows of course so that will always be a factor. And I do have a Steam Deck which I like better from purely handheld perspective. If I had OLED deck I may not have gotten Ally.

Overall though my experience with Ally now is positive which wasn’t the case at release of course. Would I get Ally va Deck OLED if I had to pick one? No, would get OLED deck mainly because most of my gaming is off Steam or emulation and I don’t really play emulated X360or PS3 much. If I wanted to play large GamePass, Epic, GoG libraries Ally is a better choice.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
You mean my parents, who got it for me as a gift? LOLOLOLOL
You have a argument? There is no way your parents got word of ROG ally existence and your potential interest in it if they are tech illiterate.

I mean, unless... you told them you were interested before checking if it was up to your standard. Anyway, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

danklord

Gold Member
I’m thinking of getting rid of my deck and getting a legion go. I’m done with steam os. Want a windows handheld. Will avoid rog ally then.
I absolutely love the Legion Go and am currently using it on a trip to Japan. The form factor is insanely convenient, I've been remoting into my work PC on it and it's been a breeze for video editing. People who complain about Windows on a portable are low effort babies. If you know what you're doing and get an external monitor, this can completely replace a laptop for work and content consumption and is a superior portable gaming device to just about anything else out there.

Last edited:
Sometimes. My past week has been this:

-Pnumbra crashing just past the intro. There are workarounds but it comes at the expense of lighting which is really important in the game.
-Manhunt crashing during the tutorial. Haven't tried the workaround for this on ProtonDB but it is a bit of a hassle.
-Enclave not launching. Switching to an older version of Proton fixed this.

The point of contention is that "it just works" for the Deck. You can often tinker to success but not always (see above of Virtua Tennis 4) but the Deck experience is far from pickup and play, especially for legacy titles.
Manhunt crashing is due to the antipiracy triggering which was (what a bloody surprise, I know) never fixed by Rockstar and not due to Linux issues:

There are ways to fix it though

Last edited:
People who complain about Windows on a portable are low effort babies. If you know what you're doing and get an external monitor, this can completely replace a laptop for work and content consumption and is a superior portable gaming device to just about anything else out there.

While I grabbed the Ally, I agree 100%.

Anyone complaining about these devices being a Windows PC, and/or being too difficult to setup is a whiny cunt.

After upgrading SSD, I spent yesterday configuring it for emulation, optimizing stuffs and removing clutter.

Last night, enjoyed Silent Hill 2 and Wind Waker before testing out Elden Ring and Dead Space remake, on Steam and Xbox Gamepass, respectively.

Very powerful device.

Topher

Gold Member
I absolutely love the Legion Go and am currently using it on a trip to Japan. The form factor is insanely convenient, I've been remoting into my work PC on it and it's been a breeze for video editing. People who complain about Windows on a portable are low effort babies. If you know what you're doing and get an external monitor, this can completely replace a laptop for work and content consumption and is a superior portable gaming device to just about anything else out there.

While I grabbed the Ally, I agree 100%.

Anyone complaining about these devices being a Windows PC, and/or being too difficult to setup is a whiny cunt.

After upgrading SSD, I spent yesterday configuring it for emulation, optimizing stuffs and removing clutter.

Last night, enjoyed Silent Hill 2 and Wind Waker before testing out Elden Ring and Dead Space remake, on Steam and Xbox Gamepass, respectively.

Very powerful device.

Man.....you guys are letting your feelings get hurt too easily over handhelds. Folks not liking Windows on a handheld doesn't make them "babies" or "whiny cunts".

Steve Harvey Whats Wrong With You GIF

Topher

Gold Member
SOUNDS like your feelings are hurt?

Why would they be? I've been mostly complimentary of Rog Ally.

I get some of the OPs frustration with some aspects of Rog Ally, but Asus actually did a pretty good job incorporating their game launcher into Armoury Crate. It is nice how it adds games to the launcher regardless of whether the game is in Game Pass, GOG, Battle.net, etc. The in-game menus work pretty well. Not quite as clean as Steam Deck, but overall I was impressed considering, like you, I've despised Armoury Crate in the past on their laptops and such.

Xyphie

It's the handheld that gets the closest to solving the hardware for this class of device, if they had an OLED option and OCuLink/TB4 instead of their own eGPU solution it would be the perfect device. I can't imagine buying a Steam Deck with an outdated SoC and non-VRR display going into 2024.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not a big of a deal for me as 2TB provides more then enough storage for both Steam/Windows and Retro Gaming.

It’s also very easy to image the drive through the built in BIOS utilities and of course cloning a windows drive is pretty straightforward as well.

I tested the SD slot briefly and it picked up my card, read it, copied, etc, but I didn’t want to risk it. For me the benefits of ROG outweighed the negatives.

I don’t have issues with anything else really. Hell, sleep seems amazing unlike usual Windows machines for me and lasts for days with minimal batter loss (it dumps to hibernate after a while).

So overall for the price while SD card situation sucks it’s not a deal breaker.

Hell if one was picking it up during the sales you could get the main model for like $500 which is crazy good price.

It’s still hobbled by Windows of course so that will always be a factor. And I do have a Steam Deck which I like better from purely handheld perspective. If I had OLED deck I may not have gotten Ally.

Overall though my experience with Ally now is positive which wasn’t the case at release of course. Would I get Ally va Deck OLED if I had to pick one? No, would get OLED deck mainly because most of my gaming is off Steam or emulation and I don’t really play emulated X360or PS3 much. If I wanted to play large GamePass, Epic, GoG libraries Ally is a better choice.

SD card wasn't a deal breaker for me either. Neither was Windows, frankly. As someone else pointed out, Ally does make for a very nice Windows desktop when connected to keyboard/mouse and external monitor. The main gripes I had with Ally was the battery which largely negated the power advantage if I wanted to play for more than an hour. That.....and I just could not resist that OLED.

It's the handheld that gets the closest to solving the hardware for this class of device, if they had an OLED option and OCuLink/TB4 instead of their own eGPU solution it would be the perfect device. I can't imagine buying a Steam Deck with an outdated SoC and non-VRR display going into 2024.

Outdated SOC or poor battery life. That's the trade off. But it really depends no what games you are playing. If folks are playing Octopath Traveler 2 (like I am currently) then that updated SOC isn't going to give you any benefit. If someone wants to play Baldur's Gate 3 on a handheld then yeah, Legion Go and Rog Ally are definitely the better choice. Personally, I'm just sticking to games that are suited well for handhelds and leaving the rest for my gaming PC.

Sleepwalker

Would never use an ally or legion go as a pc/laptop replacement on a trip, lol thats some insane jank.

The devices are alright for the budget tiers they are in tho. We have enough console wars to now have handheld OS wars.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Guys I don't think Windows is the problem. I've had Windows 11 installed on my Steam Deck for months now, and loving it.

I tried that on my old Steam Deck and thought it was ok once I had all the open source, third party apps installed that made it all usable, but I found I prefer the default experience. I think the issue some have with the Windows experience on non-SD handhelds is that they are dependent on manufacturer software, which can be hit/miss. Armoury Crate is decent enough, but it was pretty rough early on. I've not read very good things about Legion Space, but it may have improved as well and I'm not aware. Problem is there isn't a standard UI for either of these. If Dell comes out with their handheld (what happened to that thing anyway?) then there will be yet another custom UI that ultimately accomplishes the same functions as the others.

As far as Windows itself, one thing people have complained about is it isn't tailored for the handheld experience and getting around using the tiny screen is difficult. That is true, but it is really no different on Steam Deck when using desktop mode. Steam provides an overlay just like Armoury Crate and Legion Space. The underlying operating system is meant for a desktop.

One advantage, Steam Deck does have, however, is apps like Decky Loader that allow for third party plugins that enhance the experience in the SD UI and minimize the need to venture into deskop mode. I just discovered Decky Loader this past week and I'm very impressed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I tried that on my old Steam Deck and thought it was ok once I had all the open source, third party apps installed that made it all usable, but I found I prefer the default experience. I think the issue some have with the Windows experience on non-SD handhelds is that they are dependent on manufacturer software, which can be hit/miss. Armoury Crate is decent enough, but it was pretty rough early on. I've not read very good things about Legion Space, but it may have improved as well and I'm not aware. Problem is there isn't a standard UI for either of these. If Dell comes out with their handheld (what happened to that thing anyway?) then there will be yet another custom UI that ultimately accomplishes the same functions as the others.

As far as Windows itself, one thing people have complained about is it isn't tailored for the handheld experience and getting around using the tiny screen is difficult. That is true, but it is really no different on Steam Deck when using desktop mode. Steam provides an overlay just like Armoury Crate and Legion Space. The underlying operating system is meant for a desktop.

One advantage, Steam Deck does have, however, is apps like Decky Loader that allow for third party plugins that enhance the experience in the SD UI and minimize the need to venture into deskop mode. I just discovered Decky Loader this past week and I'm very impressed.
That's a good point. On my Steam Deck running Windows, I have Steam set to launch at startup and in big picture mode, so the experience is still more or less the same as what I get with the stock OS. The difference being that I can easily run all my GOG, Ubisoft, Windows Store / Game Pass, and Epic games without fuckin about with different Linux hacks. So for me, the only navigation I have to do in "desktop mode" is installing new games and configuring them in Steam.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go are both shackled to Windows and Windows is pretty shit as you've discovered. Switch and Steam Deck are both superior because they don't run Windows.
Been with Legion GO for some time. No really big issues other than me wanting to tinker around with it and causing my own headaches. Smooth sailing with loading all games I've wanted on all PC stores. Sure Steam Deck which I have version 1 is a simple click and go but to be fair Legion GO is the same, hell I'm using it a my remote cloud work PC as well. So.. yeah. It all depends what you want from it and how easy you want things to be.

bender

What time is it?
Manhunt crashing is due to the antipiracy triggering which was (what a bloody surprise, I know) never fixed by Rockstar and not due to Linux issues:

There are ways to fix it though

Yep, I know. I actually fixed it the other night but it was a hassle (boot into desktop mode, find the install directory, rename some executables). But that's kind of the whole point. You tend to tinker a lot with older games which moves it farther away from "pickup and play".

It honestly amazes me how billions of people use Windows everyday but put it in a handheld and suddenly some people don't know what to do. I can sort of understand it with the Ally but both the Deck and the Go have touchpads to make navigating easier. If anything the bigger headache is needing to type without an actual keyboard and that affects nearly all of these handhelds regardless of operating system.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
It honestly amazes me how billions of people use Windows everyday but put it in a handheld and suddenly some people don't know what to do. I can sort of understand it with the Ally but both the Deck and the Go have touchpads to make navigating easier. If anything the bigger headache is needing to type without an actual keyboard and that affects nearly all of these handhelds regardless of operating system.
It’s not exactly windows the problem is for about the same price I rather have a laptop because windows do not give me the instant plug and play experience I want from a handheld

Yep, I know. I actually fixed it the other night but it was a hassle (boot into desktop mode, find the install directory, rename some executables). But that's kind of the whole point. You tend to tinker a lot with older games which moves it farther away from "pickup and play".
To be fair its gonna be the same issue both on a ROG and a SteamDeck as well for those titles,though.

Sometimes they work better on Linux, sometimes they have just as many issues as on Windows, so this isnt a portable pc issue rather than an issue of legacy games not always optimized for modern systems "out of the box".

And no, GoG isnt always the answer for that dilemma either, in fact I had cases of gog versions of games running worse than on Steam.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
To be fair its gonna be the same issue both on a ROG and a SteamDeck as well for those titles though.

Sometimes they work better on Linux, sometimes they have just as many issues as on Windows, so this isnt a portable pc issue rather than an issue of legacy games not always optimized for modern systems "out of the box".

It's not about saying the ROG and Windows experience is better, it's more about dispelling the notion that the Deck is "pickup and play". You'll have better luck with newer titles certainly but depending on the title, you can run into performance issues. It's a balancing act for sure. I really like the Deck...hell, I upgraded from the OG model to an OLED version but it isn't without its' cumbersome moments.

Topher

Gold Member
To be fair its gonna be the same issue both on a ROG and a SteamDeck as well for those titles,though.

And no, GoG isnt always the answer for that dilemma either, in fact I had cases of gog versions of games running worse than on Steam.

If I were looking for the handheld that has the least number of issues with regard to compatibility then that handheld would not be Steam Deck. The vast majority of games ever made were made for Windows so native is always preferable to emulated. Even with newer games, I always check to see the status of "Steam Certified". Not something I need to worry about with Windows.

Tams

Cloud saves just work on Ally, btw. I play a game there, quit game, and can go pick it up on my desktop PC a second later. I found there to be no noticeable difference between Deck and PC/Ally in this regard.

Actually, my favorite feature of the Ally is using Hibernate. For example, I turned off my Ally in the middle of playing Yakuza Zero a few days ago, by tapping the power button. Several days later, I turn on my Ally, it takes under 10 seconds to quick boot right back into the game, - battery still at 100%, - there’s zero “standby” drain unlike a Switch or Deck in sleep mode. Just fantastic.

Valve has done a tremendous job with the Steam Deck, and the OLED looks fantastic, but once the Ally is set up, you really can boot straight into Big Picture mode in Steam, and it feels nigh identical to the Deck, with all the additional benefits (twice the resolution, 120hz VRR, and no standby drain when having to shut down in the middle of a session).

It makes me look forward to the next Deck. I hope Valve can put in a proper powerful APU, and also higher res with VRR.

My only comment on hibernation these days is to keep an eye on your SSD's health. Hibernation writes to SSDs very quickly add up, and while high capacities, SSD endurance has drop significantly.

graywolf323

That's a good point. On my Steam Deck running Windows, I have Steam set to launch at startup and in big picture mode, so the experience is still more or less the same as what I get with the stock OS. The difference being that I can easily run all my GOG, Ubisoft, Windows Store / Game Pass, and Epic games without fuckin about with different Linux hacks. So for me, the only navigation I have to do in "desktop mode" is installing new games and configuring them in Steam.
I wish there was something like Decky Loader for Steam Big Picture Mode in Windows

MacReady13

I recently got my Steam Deck OLED and honestly, I have stopped played my PS5, Switch and Series X! I'm thinking of selling them all and just going PC only to complement the Deck! Playing F1 2023 at 60 frames a second on the Deck is an astounding experience!

BlackTron

Man there's a lot of love for the Deck in this thread. I have to admit that a PC with a fallback "just works game console" mode is pretty OP but I'm still just waiting for the next power upgrade. Yea I know it will take a while.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

That is why I have dual boot Steam OS + Win 11. No limits.

Zathalus

Outdated SOC or poor battery life. That's the trade off. But it really depends no what games you are playing. If folks are playing Octopath Traveler 2 (like I am currently) then that updated SOC isn't going to give you any benefit. If someone wants to play Baldur's Gate 3 on a handheld then yeah, Legion Go and Rog Ally are definitely the better choice. Personally, I'm just sticking to games that are suited well for handhelds and leaving the rest for my gaming PC.
I just circumvented the SOC problem entirely by using Sunshine/Moonlight. Max settings Cyberpunk, Path tracing at 1200p on my PC streamed to my Deck at a locked 90fps at 800p. Even using a nightly version of Moonlight for HDR streaming as well. Far superior to anything you can run natively on any handheld with the advantage of no noise and 8+ hours battery life. Does take a bit of setup to get that streaming to be perfect though.

Only works really well on the same network of course, leaving the house I'll stick to lower power games that don't drain the battery anyways.

Sleepwalker

I just circumvented the SOC problem entirely by using Sunshine/Moonlight. Max settings Cyberpunk, Path tracing at 1200p on my PC streamed to my Deck at a locked 90fps at 800p. Even using a nightly version of Moonlight for HDR streaming as well. Far superior to anything you can run natively on any handheld with the advantage of no noise and 8+ hours battery life. Does take a bit of setup to get that streaming to be perfect though.

Only works really well on the same network of course, leaving the house I'll stick to lower power games that don't drain the battery anyways.
Do you have any tutorial to dial in moonlight with hdr on the deck?

Zathalus

Do you have any tutorial to dial in moonlight with hdr on the deck?
Version I am using:

Just install via Konsole and then add it to Steam as you would regular moonlight. I've had no major issues so far. You can also use Windows HDR calibration over the stream and setup a profile for the Deck OLED.

Top Bottom