• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

- Washington Post: Which U.S. (and Mexican and Canadian) cities would host World Cup in 2026?
The leading U.S. venue contenders: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.), MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.), Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia), FedEx Field (Landover, Md.), Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta), Hard Rock Stadium (Miami), Soldier Field (Chicago), AT&T Stadium (Arlington, Tex.), NRG Stadium (Houston), Sports Authority Field (Denver), University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.), the Los Angeles NFL stadium opening in 2020, Levi’s Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.) and CenturyLink Field (Seattle).

That’s 14 top candidates for about 10 spots. And that doesn’t include outside hopefuls, such as Tampa, Orlando, Kansas City and Charlotte. Las Vegas is building a domed NFL stadium with roll-in natural grass, like at University of Phoenix Stadium.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bummed they are just going for pro stadiums and not the larger college ones :(

It's a World Cup, gonna need as many seats as is humanly possible for these matches. Plus college towns are a little more out of the way and might not have the infrastructure to handle a big match should that be the draw.

ZZMitch

It's a World Cup, gonna need as many seats as is humanly possible for these matches. Plus college towns are a little more out of the way and might not have the infrastructure to handle a big match should that be the draw.

Well to be fair most of the biggest stadiums in the country are college football stadiums. Your second point stands though.

Chris R

The CFB stadiums they would probably end up using would have ~30-40k more seats than the pro ones that cap out at around 60k.

They just aren't as glamorous or often like you said in the very big cities. And I guess having swanky boxes you can sell to billionaires for hundreds of thousands of dollars a match is a requirement.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The CFB stadiums they would probably end up using would have ~30-40k more seats than the pro ones that cap out at around 60k.

They just aren't as glamorous or often like you said in the very big cities. And I guess having swanky boxes you can sell to billionaires for hundreds of thousands of dollars a match is a requirement.

More seats than the pro-football stadiums mentioned in the report like Metlife Stadium? We're talking NFL stadiums here, not MLS ones.

Chris R

There are many college football stadium that are at 100k+ capacity.

There are a few that are 100k+ just bummed Michigan Stadium isn't getting a game, it's close enough to Detroit to not be "in the boonies" like some of the other CFB stadiums. Same goes for Texas's stadium in Austin.

Askani

TBH...I didn't think all that much of the teams from watching the Miami and Cincinnati game...but Cincy is here to play. Look real good after the first 10 mins. Hope they keep it up the energy.

Icolin

Banned
Great first half. The atmosphere in the stadium looks and sounds amazing. Great to see the FCC coach Alan Koch building off of his success with Whitecaps FC2 at FCC, and great to see Sem de Wit playing well. Wish De Wit could've signed with the Whitecaps first team.

Mully

Heading to KC in September. Any suggestions?

I was there once before for a Sky Blue FC match, but I messed up my flights and was only there for 18 hours. Only got to see the match, the WW1 museum and that's really it.

Cystm

What the fuck is this shit? Meira goes down in the first 5 minutes (MY CB of choice from Chicago for Double games week.) and we give up a goal that every last player was asleep for. Including Lampson, who needs to go back to Ohio already.

Edit:
That stinks. Besler-Cameron at the backline for the qualifiers?

That is my guess

Icolin

Banned
Brilliant performance from Montreal. The combination play between Mancosu, Piatti, and Dzemaili was beautiful to watch, and Piette was immense in front of the back four once again.

RBH

New photos of the now completed Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the new home of Atlanta United (no pictures of the soccer config yet):

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

More photos: https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-...s-mercedes-benz-stadium-photos-atlanta-united

Top Bottom