• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiga CD32 Memories

Krejlooc

Banned
"Press the arrow-line button! No, not the arrow-circle-line, the arrow-line - CHRIST, Lisa, fuck you, you suck at this fucking shit game!"

Typically how they'd appear in game:

tFjtUZW.jpg

Like I said, zool is the only game I've seen that actually uses the 312 icon, other games would just use the green circle.

samwyse

Neo Member
I wasn't interested in a keyboardless Amiga 1200 and I wasn't that impressed by the Amiga 1200 itself. It wasn't a big enough upgrade for the time. I had an Amiga 500.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wasn't interested in a keyboardless Amiga 1200 and I wasn't that impressed by the Amiga 1200 itself. It wasn't a big enough upgrade for the time. I had an Amiga 500.

The CD32 itself actually has a port for an A4000 keyboard on the unit itself. It's just that a4000 keyboards themselves are extremely rare. The various add-ons add standard PS/2 keyboard ports, although you can find a PS/2->A4000 keyboard converter for like $10.

Krejlooc

Banned
Fantastic post. Thanks for answering!

No problemo. Making one thing clear - the CD32 expansions are all very expensive and hard to find. You can build an expanded A1200 for way, way cheaper. It's just neat to have everything in a nice, sega genesis-shaped box.

Havoc2049

Of the games you showed, the most beautiful looking is Flink and that looks the same as the Genesis version.

Was there any game to justify its "32 bits" and AGA chipset?

If you are looking for Saturn/PSX/N64 era graphics, then the CD32 isn't really the place to look, as the later part of the 32/64-bit era was still several years away. The strength of the CD32 as a console is having access to the vast Amiga library of games. The CD32/Amiga AGA did have some games that were beyond the capabilities of the Genesis/SNES.

Alien Breed 3D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZARnYNg_sU

Ishar 3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4h5O0AIo8

Robinson's Requiem
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDU1Fp5SUnI

Gunship 2000
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7WEtrOPk8

Alien Breed 3D 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nY8nNNNBfE

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a general Amiga emulation thread? I have some setup questions and dont want to derail this too much (want to get a dualshock 4 working as joystick + mouse with the spare buttons acting as key pressed for F12 etc to run on a tablet

Turrican3

I was excited for a simple way to play Amiga games with less loading, but the build quality really disappointed me. Horrible pad, raspy sound and shaky composite video.
If you don't mind a little bit of soldering (and disassembling the unit IIRC, but after 20 years I'm not 100% sure about this ^__^) you can relatively easily add RGB video output to the CD32.

Commodore also put a nice SVideo terminal to the CD32 but I guess nowadays it might be difficult to find a compatible TV so maybe RGB is still the better option (also because of higher quality video).

RAIDEN1

Had one of these but many many years later sent it for scrap, when it first came out I brought into the hype, had games like Liberation, Oscar, Microcosm etc....poor build quality of the console...especially the control pad...

Even the failed Sega Saturn would blow it out of the water...in terms of hardware capability....or even the 3DO...

Krejlooc

Banned
If you don't mind a little bit of soldering (and disassembling the unit IIRC, but after 20 years I'm not 100% sure about this ^__^) you can relatively easily add RGB video output to the CD32.

Commodore also put a nice SVideo terminal to the CD32 but I guess nowadays it might be difficult to find a compatible TV so maybe RGB is still the better option (also because of higher quality video).

I use svideo ;)

Nice name

Even the failed Sega Saturn would blow it out of the water...in terms of hardware capability....or even the 3DO...

Well I'd hope so, considering the a1200 was merely a modest upgrade to a design that dates back to 1985.

Samuray

Wait, what???? Self-booting versions of A500 games?!? Holy Shit!!!!

I've been thinking about a Raspberry Pi Amiga emulation setup but since I'm planning on getting a CD32, that would be SO much easier!

Do graphics and sound play okay? As in, 100% okay?

I'd need a keyboard for a couple of those titles....would a generic PC keyboard work? Don't wanna hook up a whole Amiga to the CD32....

I wonder if there is some printable disc art for "Shadow of the Beast Trilogy" or the "Turrican" one, or the "Super Cars" disc, or "Giana Sisters". Probably not.
There seem to be CD case inserts (or rather. DVD case sized?) but they are very low res. Are better versions included in the zip package?

Oh, and an important question I just thought of: As a friend of 60Hz gaming should I aim for a US console? Or is PAL okay too? As a computer the Amiga 500 didn't have the problem, I think, but how about the console? Are PAL CD32s slowed down?

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait, what???? Self-booting versions of A500 games?!? Holy Shit!!!!

I've been thinking about a Raspberry Pi Amiga emulation setup but since I'm planning on getting a CD32, that would be SO much easier!

Do graphics and sound play okay? As in, 100% okay?

I'd need a keyboard for a couple of those titles....would a generic PC keyboard work? Don't wanna hook up a whole Amiga to the CD32....

I wonder if there is some printable disc art for "Shadow of the Beast Trilogy" or the "Turrican" one, or the "Super Cars" disc, or "Giana Sisters". Probably not.
There seem to be CD case inserts (or rather. DVD case sized?) but they are very low res. Are better versions included in the zip package?

Oh, and an important question I just thought of: As a friend of 60Hz gaming should I aim for a US console? Or is PAL okay too? As a computer the Amiga 500 didn't have the problem, I think, but how about the console? Are PAL CD32s slowed down?

With proper adapters, you can connect a normal ps/2 keyboard or mouse to the cd32

YrtnzHh.jpg

I have that connected to my cd32.

You might have missed earlier in this thread, but you absolutely need a pal machine. Ntsc and pal matter very much when it comes to amiga. Most pal software flat out won't work on an ntsc machine, and 99% of the amiga library is pal. I use an atlona cdm 660 to convert pal to ntsc:

OV2cy0L.jpg

My cd32 is European. I even use the European psu, attached to a 110-220 converter:

qOxUG3t.jpg

Excuse the dust, haha.

Venture

Why doesn't it work? I had a CD32 that wouldn't boot and I thought it was the laser, but it wound up being that the PSU was dying.
I get various screen colors when it boots up. I've opened it up to clean it and tried reseating the chips into their sockets but it had no effect. The CD drive seems to be working.

the SX-32 is much more compact:

y2kQkWw.jpg

You actually have to take your CD32 apart to install it, but it's flush and nice and compact. It'll cost you an arm and a leg if it ever shows up for sale, however.
Never knew there was a SX-32. Nice!

Turrican3

I use svideo ;)

Nice name
Ahah nice name indeed, one of my favourite games from that era...
Svideo on CD32 is really really nice, I still remember the first time I hooked it up to my TV set, I could literally count the pixels like I used to do with RGB. :)

About PAL vs NTSC incompatibilities... I do remember reading quite a bit of USA Amiga magazines, where games where regularly advertised (and obviously sold as well), am I missing something here?
Honest question, it's been a while since I basically left the Amiga scene so it is very possible we're talking about something I completely forgot...

I get various screen colors when it boots up.
Did you have a look at Amiga boot colour codes? IIRC this should help you diagnose the issue.

PFD

I got also Pray for Death, another fighting game for MS-DOS by the same developers. Though this time they plagiarised Killer Instinct but game wasnt that bad. Plus you could pick Cthulhu as a fighting game character and Anubis as well!

I liked that game :)

Widge

Necromancy!

Every now and again, my mind casts back to Liberation. Was this game actually completable, or did you literally do the same thing every mission over and over again?

It was penned as too big to complete in a lifetime, which is a rather pointless aim imo.

Samuray

Well, this kinda stings....

I finally, finally got a CD32 system and have been having a look at what's out there, games-wise.

"Disposable Hero"....oh, what's that?.....let's see......
What? A shoot'em up I hadn't heard of before...? Seriously? And it looks GORGEOUS!!!!

I'm officially in love, at least with its screenshots as well as that sweet cardboard box it comes in.

But hot damn, that's expensive! There's one on eBay for 250€ which is nuts, and an auction went as far as 100€. Is that really what it costs now? Can't imagine it was this expensive a year ago, was it?

It's beautiful though.
hqdefault.jpg

And look at that stunning cover artwork:
Disposable%20Hero.png

Top Bottom