• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

So how long until we learn of an Amazon exclusive amiibo?

& that link underneath the Lucario/Toys 'R' Us news is about Meta Knight/Best Buy. Where are you hearing about the 3rd retailer exclusive?

Edit: Hmm, so Lucario, Meta Knight, & Rosalina aren't listed on Amazon or GameStop. I guess that hints at the fact they're the retail exclusives.
Link fixed.

Rosalina is the last remaining exclusive. Bets are one Walmart or Target.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like it'll be Target, considering they have those exclusive eShop AR cards.

I do wonder how they chose which amiibos would be exclusives. Maybe they figured by popularity? I kind of understand Shulk & GameStop, what with Xenoblade being sold exclusively there as well.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhhhhhh yeah!

7WhqQyt.jpg

Tom_Cody

I feel like it'll be Target, considering they have those exclusive eShop AR cards.

I do wonder how they chose which amiibos would be exclusives. Maybe they figured by popularity? I kind of understand Shulk & GameStop, what with Xenoblade being sold exclusively there as well.
Somehow I doubt the executives at the companies even know who those characters are.

A few of the characters are well known (Mario, Link, etc.) but visibility starts to drop off very quickly after that. Part of the overall Amiibo plan seems to be to push the viability all the characters, including Amiibos based off the lesser known characters. I mean, Wii Fit trainer is part of the first line!

So, to respond to your speculation, I'm guessing that the exclusives were chosen more or less at random among the least well known of the characters.

Wave 2 comes out December 14th. Wave 3 February 28th. Via amazon.

Lots of amiibo updates today! Exciting times!
Just need Rosalina specifics.

Also I hope it coming out last day in Feb means no new Wave in March. I need enough time to get as many as ai can Nintendo pls.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was very annoyed to find this out a few days ago. I had hoped to use Amiibos in the co-op modes, specifically event mode.

Oh well.

This is the worst news so far about amiibos for me. really disappointed.
I think that Link, with its MK8 costume, its HW spinner and its FP smash is the best figure "gameplay-wise" and I'm gonna buy it next week when it will hit the market, but I'm now less sure about other purchases.
I still think that I'll buy some other figures based on "character beauty" alone, but I'm not so sure anymore.
For the moment, Mario (I like it, and I think it will be one of the most used across various games) is almost sure. In terms of character love, Samus, Mac, Ike and Shulk are well positioned, with Fox and Falcon slighlty behind in terms of character love, but slighlty ahead in terms of beauty of the figures themselves.

Robin64

I will get some figures based purely on looking like nice figures, and those are Mario, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Pit and Mega Man. Everything else is a "maybe".

The Link one is just awful, though, and I don't even have Hyrule Warriors, so...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I will get some figures based purely on looking like nice figures, and those are Mario, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Pit and Mega Man. Everything else is a "maybe".

The Link one is just awful, though, and I don't even have Hyrule Warriors, so...
so... you should get Hyrule Warriors!

Robin64

The stand is only half my issue with Link. He also doesn't match his trophy at all, where the others do. Same pose but the angle is completely wrong. The prototype was correct.

link_amiibo_figure_new_design.jpg

He basically needs rotating up more.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The stand is only half my issue with Link. He also doesn't match his trophy at all, where the others do. Same pose but the angle is completely wrong. The prototype was correct.

link_amiibo_figure_new_design.jpg

He basically needs rotating up more.

yes, but not as much as the pics present, because also the angles of the pics were different; plus, the face is not bad as Marth's or Peach's (it's more in line with Ike's or Pit's for example), the details of the dresses and shield are very good and so on. Also the "bended sword" it's a non-issue, 'cause it's easily avoidable going in-store and picking up one of the good ones. Plus, I already have a Toon Link mini figures (a Gatcha-pon Japanese one I found in HK, with the thin transparent stand) so Link is a must buy. FOR ME, obviously!

:)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If someone finds out some PAL deal, please advise. US GAFFers are lucky with all the recent retailers offers, we still have to see something similar here in Europe.

RetroMG

My Wii Fit Trainer is shipping discreetly. Amazon says it hasn't shipped, but there's tracking information under a "Track Package" button and it says my package is on it's way!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If someone finds out some PAL deal, please advise. US GAFFers are lucky with all the recent retailers offers, we still have to see something similar here in Europe.
I'm Pretty sure the only offer is Toys R' Us, which will both give you an Amiibo if you buy Smash with them, and save you $9 if buy 3 Amiibos with them.

Completely sold out in my city. I know they are not supposed to be released until tomorrow, but consider this:

1. All three Gamestops in my town have completely fulfilled their pre-orders and haven't even setup the display in store for them. They sold all of their stock already, and they won't plan to put up the display case until after Black Friday. That's incredible. And interesting side note - I asked the manager of the region what their stock was like, and he said at least 30 stock per character, per store. I'm not sure if this is unusual elsewhere, but it seemed like a respectable number considering that there was never this kind of availability per character for Skylanders. Each GS kept somewhere around ten (at most) per character.

2. My Best Buy sold them today. For whatever reason, they broke embargo. And there was nothing left when I checked the shelves. I asked when they would stock them tomorrow, and they informed me it was today when the sales occurred. They're completely sold out.

3. Target is having 10 people work electronics tomorrow because of the anticipated rush. Think about it. In a college town, on the Friday before break, they're calling in extra help for the store for a Nintendo accessory. That's incredible.

I can't figure out what is causing my city to reach in such a crazy manner to the amiibos, but it's not really something I'm used to seeing. For any game or item. It's more than likely an isolated event, but it's good to see Nintendo stepping into an arena that should be their home. Very few companies carry the same goodwill, and I hope the release goes well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was in Target tonight and they were already setting up the display. I'm going to swing by after work tomorrow to see if any are left

Every time there's a thread like this I go onto Amazon and order an amiibo. :/ Please stop making threads like this or I'll end up buying them all.

hwy_61

Banned
Yeah, I'm hoping they aren't all gone by the time I get out of work tomorrow. Planning on grabbing a couple at least.

Tenki

I hope there aren't any problems here in Spain D:

Anyway, I'm happy Nintendo is having success with this. Gotta fund Bayo 3 somehow.

Heh, I couldn't even find one yet in my city, and I live in a kinda big one.

I kinda really want to train my Fox on 1v1, no items, Final Destination only, it is his destiny, but I can't find those goddamn amiibos anywhere.

I'm actually surprised. Was this level of reception expected? Is this standard for your Skylanders/Disney figures or better/worse?

Edit: Also, I guess this means I'm going to have to make sure to purchase Pit before his release date.

MrDaravon

Was in a Gamestop this morning and the dude in front of me at the register was flipping the fuck out that they weren't taking any more pre-orders and that they were already pre-sold out.

I will pray for people looking to walk into a store and find them. It's not like this is really surprising seeing that we've seen this exact same phenomenon before, and this time it's Nintendo themselves putting them out. So shocking that everyone wants them -_-. Will be scalper heaven through the holidays.

oatmeal

Banned
I went to Target and they had a good sized display and they were all gone...at first I thought sold out, but they don't come out until tomorrow...

Sawneeks

Banned
I'm actually surprised. Was this level of reception expected? Is this standard for your Skylanders/Disney figures or better/worse?

I remember when the Frozen Disney Infinity figures were released they were sold out EVERYWHERE. Some of the more popular Guardians of the Galaxy ones are still hit-or-miss I believe.

Much lower. The demand for those items is there, based on the amount of Craiglists postings for them and the consistent placement they've received in stores over the past few years. But I've never had an issue finding a figure in town when I searched for one.

This was altogether unexpected. I'm not saying it's reflective of elsewhere, only that my town - which is rather small - is buying. Which bodes well.

Astral Dog

Hoping amiibos give Nintendo a much needed push during the holidays.

Not interested until march when they have more available

AdanVC

Damn that's crazy considering they don't officially go out until tomorrow. Yay! Oh man but now I'm worried it probably will be difficult to find an Amiibo tomorrow since I didn't preorder any.

Time to update the ItPrintsMoney gifs with Amiibos instead of the 3DS :D

illadelph

I doubt your store had 30 Marths in stock, let's be real

I already got my Yoshi, so haters gonna hate

Gonna have to preorder that Shulk I suppose

Vidiot

Have them all on the way via Amazon. It might take a little bit but eventually everyone that wants one will be able to get it.

tmarg

Series 1 and 2 seem janky anyway, I'll check back in January when the rush has died down and the quality has hopefully improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom