• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

Uh, pricing in Holland sucks. Webshops like Bol are already asking € 15,99 per Amiibo, which is almost twenty(!) bucks. Normal price in the US of A is about $ 13 right? Maybe German GAF will have more luck. Disney Infinity and Skylanders figurines are cheaper there. Bought Groot a month ago in Germany for € 11 and he's about two or four euro more expensive here in Holland.

Edit: Amiibo's aren't regiolockef btw :)

Edit 2nd: cool, if I buy another Amiibo I'll do so in Germany.

kubus

Uh, pricing in Holland sucks. Webshops like Bol are already asking € 15,99 per Amiibo, which is almost twenty(!) bucks. Normal price in the US of A is about $ 13 right? Maybe German GAF will have more luck. Disney Infinity and Skylanders figurines are cheaper there. Bought Groot a month ago in Germany for € 11 and he's about two or four euro more expensive here in Holland.
Yeah it's ridiculous. It's simply impossible to find them under €15, even MediaMarkt is asking €16 :/.

I'm going to look into mass ordering them at amazon Japan and have them ship here through Tenso. After conversion they're only like €7,50 per figurine in Japan. I just hope they're not region locked...

I asked at my local Saturn (Germany) and the guy was really nice and gave me some inside. They'll buy them for 9,90€. So with their normal margin in mind something like 12-13€ would be reasonable. Could be 15€ he said, but that would be a lot and I agree if they get them for under 10.

I never understand posts like these; we have a different economy?

Edit 2nd: cool, if I buy another Amiibo I'll do so in Germany.
Ordered them all from Gamemania just because I knew they will get them all.
Next wave I'll order them from amazon.de I think.

[edit] Just checked well amazon de has them for 15 euro as well.

Sadist

I never understand posts like these; we have a different economy?
Different economy? Sure.

Still, our neighbours aren't asking as much for the same product, which makes me wonder if Dutch retailers are pulling numbers out of their ass as usual. For someone like me living near the border it's a pretty viable option to say "guess I'll go to Saturn/Real/Gamestop whatever" and pick up a figure there.

Koren

I said a few pages back that I went through about a dozen or so figures before finding the best looking ones.
That's what bothering me...

I can live with some defects, but at 12.99€, I don't want really bad ones. I would have shop in the brick'n mortar at the release date, next friday here if I'm not mistaken, but at the same time, I fear that they're out of stock.

A couple of shops here have their shipment fully booked, and they're not sure there will be another one later. I don't see Nintendo only selling such a "limited" batch, but at the same time, I've been burned in the past with similar products that where nowhere to be found at release.

I'm thinking about ordering online now, but if I receive bad ones, or damaged boxes, I'll be pissed.

one_kill

I'm thinking about ordering online now, but if I receive bad ones, or damaged boxes, I'll be pissed.
I'm in the same position.

I know I should preorder the amiibo I definitely want, but I want to pick a good looking figure than get an ugly one. I'm going to try my luck when they come out hree.

Yeah it's ridiculous. It's simply impossible to find them under €15, even MediaMarkt is asking €16 :/.

I'm going to look into mass ordering them at amazon Japan and have them ship here through Tenso. After conversion they're only like €7,50 per figurine in Japan. I just hope they're not region locked...

Well Toys R Us in germany seems to have them for 12,99€. That's the cheapest I've seen them over here, even in store so you can check for the best. Not like the 3 for 30 offer in US, but better than ridiculous Saturn or Media Markt pricing.

I'm planning going friday morning and see which ones to get. Thinking about Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Peach, Samus, Kirby, Villager. I swore to myself I wouldn't start collecting them all.

kubus

Well Toys R Us in germany seems to have them for 12,99€. That's the cheapest I've seen them over here, even in store so you can check for the best. Not like the 3 for 30 offer in US, but better than ridiculous Saturn or Media Markt pricing.

I'm planning going friday morning and see which ones to get. Thinking about Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Peach, Samus, Kirby, Villager. I swore to myself I wouldn't start collecting them all.
Yeah, €12,99 I can swallow. That would be $ = €, which is still painful but makes sense considering different economies and stuff. $13 > €15 is just way too much. Hope you can find the ones you want at Toys R Us! If I had a car I would probably buy them there too, as I practically live on the Dutch-German border :p.

That's what bothering me...

I can live with some defects, but at 12.99€, I don't want really bad ones. I would have shop in the brick'n mortar at the release date, next friday here if I'm not mistaken, but at the same time, I fear that they're out of stock.

A couple of shops here have their shipment fully booked, and they're not sure there will be another one later. I don't see Nintendo only selling such a "limited" batch, but at the same time, I've been burned in the past with similar products that where nowhere to be found at release.

As far as damaged boxes I received multiple figures from Best Buy. They arrived on launch day for me and were packaged well inside their own box with air bubbles to keep them from sliding aroun too much.

The condition of the actual figures will vary of course but, I was definitely satisfied with the quality of mine. I should add though that I think they all look very well done, especially at the price. GCU makes them essentially $10 each, which is another benefit.

Mecca

Looking at the next wave...I want to get Toon Link, Rosalina and Meta Knight, but I feel like I should get Zelda since I bought Link this time around. Damn you, Nintendo.

The more people talk about how "rare" Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Marth are, the less rare I think they will be if everyone is just buying all the stock because they think it's going to be worth something vs. actual demand.

Looking at the next wave...I want to get Toon Link, Rosalina and Meta Knight, but I feel like I should get Zelda since I bought Link this time around. Damn you, Nintendo.

The more people talk about how "rare" Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Marth are, the less rare I think they will be if everyone is just buying all the stock because they think it's going to be worth something vs. actual demand.

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Marth were manufactured less than the rest, so they are the smallest runs of all the characters and the most likely to not get remanufactured as more waves come. They've been confirmed as day one only for some international markets, so they won't be coming back at all.

Zing

Banned
I'm wondering when/if Nintendo will actually release a full series for another game. I am tempted to keep Kirby, Yoshi, etc for any integration they have in their respective games, but if there is going to be a "wooly world Yoshi" or a "canvas curse Kirby" then what's the point?

Mecca

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Marth were manufactured less than the rest, so they are the smallest runs of all the characters and the most likely to not get remanufactured as more waves come. They've been confirmed as day one only for some international markets, so they won't be coming back at all.

Oh, I didn't know it was confirmed. I thought it was just some rumor that everyone picked up on without any real information.

When I picked up Smash I only got Mario and DK. It's now Sunday and after going to multiple Best Buys, Targets, WalMarts, and Gamestops I have all of Wave 1. Might as well set up a direct deposit in my payroll to Nintendo.

Oh, I didn't know it was confirmed. I thought it was just some rumor that everyone picked up on without any real information.

I believe it was retailers in South America that Tweeted they wouldn't be getting anymore of those 3. It is somewhere earlier in this thread, like first couple pages.

One-Shot

Banned
Saw this one at Wal-Mart.

10710868_720782758012390_1057453695857961449_n.jpg

Yeah, €12,99 I can swallow. That would be $ = €, which is still painful but makes sense considering different economies and stuff. $13 > €15 is just way too much. Hope you can find the ones you want at Toys R Us! If I had a car I would probably buy them there too, as I practically live on the Dutch-German border :p.

Dutch prices are including tax while American prices are usually without tax. That and the fact that direct Euro - Dollar price comparisons are a bit useless due to differences in tax systems, import rules, economy etc.

The only ones I need for a complete Wave 1 are Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and Yoshi.

I've preordered:
-Shulk
-Ike
-Sheik
-Pit
-Little Mac
-Captain Falcon
-Meta Knight (not preordered yet as he isn't on Best Buy's website. Anyone able to??)
-Lucario

Vidiot

Preorder online just to make sure you get the ones you want. Then if you're unhappy with one and you can find it in store buy it and return the one with the worse paint job.

So, I guess I got lucky. I have a "guy" that will bring one amiibo from the USA to me here, I told him to get Mario (he's not a gamer, so that would be easier for him to understand) and if he couldn't find Mario, then anyone except the yellow rat (Pikachu).

Dreweyes

That's amazing. How did you do that?

Do Pink Gold Peach next! :p

Haha I was thinking about it! First I used painters tape to cover everything but Mario, then I applied a matte black prime spraypaint (needed a coat & a half), then after letting it dry for a few hours I applied a pricey chrome spray paint, and let it sit for 12 hours. Stoked about the results! :)

Completely sold out in my city. I know they are not supposed to be released until tomorrow, but consider this:

1. All three Gamestops in my town have completely fulfilled their pre-orders and haven't even setup the display in store for them. They sold all of their stock already, and they won't plan to put up the display case until after Black Friday. That's incredible. And interesting side note - I asked the manager of the region what their stock was like, and he said at least 30 stock per character, per store. I'm not sure if this is unusual elsewhere, but it seemed like a respectable number considering that there was never this kind of availability per character for Skylanders. Each GS kept somewhere around ten (at most) per character.

2. My Best Buy sold them today. For whatever reason, they broke embargo. And there was nothing left when I checked the shelves. I asked when they would stock them tomorrow, and they informed me it was today when the sales occurred. They're completely sold out.

3. Target is having 10 people work electronics tomorrow because of the anticipated rush. Think about it. In a college town, on the Friday before break, they're calling in extra help for the store for a Nintendo accessory. That's incredible.

I can't figure out what is causing my city to reach in such a crazy manner to the amiibos, but it's not really something I'm used to seeing. For any game or item. It's more than likely an isolated event, but it's good to see Nintendo stepping into an arena that should be their home. Very few companies carry the same goodwill, and I hope the release goes well.

Went to my local Target on release day (Friday, I think?). It was after my morning class so probably around 2:00 pm. There were a handful of actual SSB games left, and the shelves looked full, but the rep who helped me commented that Samus had sold out and that yoshi was going to be the next to go "real soon here." I thought that was pretty impressive, considering it was before school was out/kids got their parents to take them after school.

Good on Nintendo! I hope these help spark some interest in what is really my favorite of the three consoles (I like it's library far more than my PS4's)

kunonabi

Decided to play my amiibo one on one and now she's playing like an idiot. I'm just going to stick with computer opponents for her now. Hopefully I can get her back to her old playstyle which was really fun to watch.

LiK

holy shit, i'm so glad the ones i ordered have been arriving without any major issues. only Marth has a warped sword. gonna exchange that asap when Amazon restocks.the other ones i ordered from TRU are trickling out so they sent me a ton of shipments.

Haha I was thinking about it! First I used painters tape to cover everything but Mario, then I applied a matte black prime spraypaint (needed a coat & a half), then after letting it dry for a few hours I applied a pricey chrome spray paint, and let it sit for 12 hours. Stoked about the results! :)

which spray paints did you use exactly?

I would take a look at Toys'Rus. They have a 3 for $30 deal going on and whn I went in yesterday my local store had a full stock of all characters.

Am I the only one who can't find meta knight on Best Buys website to preorder? Seems to be the only exclusive that can't be preordered right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom