• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just accidentally bought smash + 12 amiibos. And then bought a double because apparently now I'm a collector and can't bring myself to open boxes. What have you done to me, Nintendo?

edit: aaaand now I've just ordered 2 shulks from game stop. Please help me.

Lol, holy crap.

Thankfully I am not compelled to have them all. Now that I see what they are and what they do, I will wait for reviews to see if games benefit from having them. I'll probably get Kirby for Rainbow Curse but other than that, who knows?

Nilaul

People are already customising amiibo

http://imgur.com/a/ZiX5v

8Ha8H1v.jpg

Some of these are amazing. I particularly like Dark Link.

rli1PAU.jpg

That screwed up yellow transparent thing is actually stopping me from buying one... what on earth where they thinking. Anyone tried replacing those?

nikos

Got caught in the hype and bought all of these. Turns out none are rare (yet) or hard to come by, from what I see. Is that correct?

Think I'm going to return them and buy whichever I want after playing Smash and figuring out who my main character will be.

Zero²

That screwed up yellow transparent thing is actually stopping me from buying one... what on earth where they thinking. Anyone tried replacing those?
Well its actually ok with the blue suit or dark link, I guess the problem if that yellow and green just dont fit well together :I

Saving $2.60 on each amiibo from Best Buy because of GCU is like buying 5 and getting one free, right guys?! :D

...my poor wallet. :(

Samus and Link I got yesterday, Wii Fit Trainer looking rare as hell in the stores I went to, so ordered it online.
That's how I'm justifying things to myself. I think the justification is a sign I've got a problem :p

qko

I don't understand the complaint about use of amiibos in Smash. I mean, if you put an amiibo to play as the character it would be worthless since you can already customize characters in the game...

I'm not the saying the functionality is the best possible one, but making amiibos a way to transfer customized characters is a lot more lame than what they currently do.

It would be mind blowing if Ice Climbers were available only if you bought the Ice climbers amiibo.

Alas, there are no plans to go that route.

I'm not complaining, I've been enjoying leveling up my Link amiibo

If I find some amiibos tomorrow I'll be happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I'm pretty sure most of the places here don't even know what an "amiibo" is, and sad because I'll probably have to pay something like 40-50 dollars to get one.

y2dvd

TRU had the Buy 3 for $30 deal going, so I picked up Fox, Samus, and Link. The quality is actually pretty good. So good in fact, I kinda want to collect them all. And uh, I don't really want to open them. Oh no...

Been leveling up my amiibo today and they become relentless opponents after a while. I put three amiibo in and myself. After just two days, Villager (Level 42) just obliterates everyone. Also, all of them block, dodge, jump, and attack and lightning quick speeds (even more so after you feed them equipment).

I would have liked them to increase their levels a bit slower. They're not really sparring partners after a few matches, more like bitter rivals haha.

Sora_N

No Foxes left today or Link.

I went through 20 Peaches and they look like shit. I don't want to settle for a paint job I don't like...

I reserved a Link last night and the paint on the eyes is decent. Gotta go to work so I picked it up anyways.

Vidiot

Got all 12 from amazon. The packaging was great! Maybe I'm not picky but all 12 look great to me. Very happy with them.

InsuRn

They look way better in real life than on the computer screen.

Also, my Yoshi amiibo just taunted me after killing me. He learn so well from his master, haha !

I asked this is the OT, but maybe I'll get more responses here. Is it a good idea to feed your Amiibo equipment? Doesn't this give an unfair advantage if you're not using equipment yourself? Can you feed them equipment but disable their stat changes by turning off Custom Characters?

Persona7

Banned
lol nobody wants the animal crossing villager, they had 8 today at target. Four more than yesterday. Everything was gone except mario, link, kirby and AC villager.

I was going to get fox but they said they were restocking in a few days.

lol nobody wants the animal crossing villager, they had 8 today at target. Four more than yesterday. Everything was gone except mario, link, kirby and AC villager.

I was going to get fox but they said they were restocking in a few days.
Your store must be the anomaly. He seems to be pretty hard to get most everywhere else, though partially because I think they didn't make as many of him.

Persona7

Banned
yeah, i read online that ac villager only got two per box? i guess he isn't popular in my area.

oh yeah, when i was looking at them a kid walked by and screamed "SAMUS" and she was sad because they didn't have samus.

Just got Link, Kirby and Fox. I price matched the 3 for $30 deal from Toys R Us at Wal Mart, and this is in Canada, so I just waited to see if they noticed, which they didn't.

Just need
-Yoshi
-Donkey Kong
-Peach
-Mario
-Pikachu

Then I will have the entire first wave.

RPGCrazied

I still will never understand the gold ultra thick pole on Link. I know gold goes with Zelda, but I still would have preferred a clear thin pole like the rest of them.

Chopper

I had a guilt pang earlier, and nearly cancelled my preorder for Villager, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Link.

Then I came to my senses and ordered Pikachu and Kirby too.

My girlfriend is gonna kill me. I just spent the last few days clearing the second bedroom/nursery of all my toys.

Fuck it. These things are awesome.

Where the fuck am I gonna hide them?!

breadtruck

Your store must be the anomaly. He seems to be pretty hard to get most everywhere else, though partially because I think they didn't make as many of him.

Checked my local Walmart, and they had tons of all the Amiibos except for Villager, WFT, and Marth. Those 3 were all gone.

Clearly some people are buying them up thinking they will remain rare. More will be made people!

Persona7

Banned
My friend went by wal-mart to see if they had wii fit trainer but they don't even have any stocked. They've had the amiibo touch screen display for a few weeks but none at launch!

Drago

Bought the last Fox at my GS when I picked the game up yesterday and have Yoshi, Villager (still hasn't shipped though...), and eventually Captain Falcon coming from Toys R Us.

Really impressed with the quality on Fox, a lot of little details and a very nice mold. The Smash Bros functionality is neat, and I like the Fox suit in MK8. I'm really happy with it.

Converse

Banned
Went to grab my copy of Smash and checked the local Target out -- their amiibo display had been raided, nothing but two Yoshis left. They looked good, I thought.

At the GameStop, they had a nice, prominently displayed stack of them, but it looked like a lot of Marios, Peaches and Donkey Kongs. I really like the look of the DK, but I'm holding out for Samus or Fox before I throw (more) money at Nintendo.

Bought the last Fox at my GS when I picked the game up yesterday and have Yoshi, Villager (still hasn't shipped though...), and eventually Captain Falcon coming from Toys R Us.

Really impressed with the quality on Fox, a lot of little details and a very nice mold. The Smash Bros functionality is neat, and I like the Fox suit in MK8. I'm really happy with it.

Yeah, IMO Fox is the best looking out of the whole first wave. Great details, face looks fine, good paint job (the fade on the tail). Even got his blaster in back with the fox logo on it.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, IMO Fox is the best looking out of the whole first wave. Great details, face looks fine, good paint job (the fade on the tail). Even got his blaster in back with the fox logo on it.

Yes, the fox figure is really good. I regret not getting it the other day when I got Samus and WFT but i'm sure it will be back in stock.

Liberty4all

Banned
Here's my haul:

Thinking of keeping Wii fit trainer, Marth and Villager in the boxes for now. I lucked out and got the last marth, villager and the last wft. Also just carefully took off stickers eb games plastered them with.

Jobbs

Banned
I went from originally being a bit cynical/skeptical about amiibos to now believing they're a home run.

do they add anything crucial to SSB for high level play? no, of course not.

is it FUN? yes!

my 7 year old niece went absolutely apeshit for amiibo, especially pikachu (she's a huge pokemon fan and has nearly encyclopedic knowledge of them) and is now a smash addict. in one day she went from total beginner, never played a fighting game, to pretty darn good. she beat rob the robot when he approached as a new challenger all by herself -- unlocking him. she was so elated.

the eruptions of joy that came from my niece as she played this game were infectious. she leveled up my pikachu to 50 in one day (yeah, really) and because she loved it so much I gave it to her to keep as her own. We called him "Wheels".

now I need to get her smash for her 3ds, but I don't look forward to explaining to her that there's not yet a way to use the amiibo on it. because she loves amiibo.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Splurged on all of Wave 1, but I don't see myself doing the same with future waves... too expensive for my tastes, and my completionism will kill me if I don't set a hard limit.

15233806194_e7376a64a3_c.jpg

SalvaPot

In more news, WalMart had only one villager, it was standing right on top of lost of opened boxes full of Far Cry 4 ready to be displayed. I took it and a Peach and Wii Fit Trainer amiibo and price-matched the TRU offer, not bad!

Machine

I went to Target yesterday. They had everything EXCEPT the Villager. I ended up getting Trainer, Pikachu and Link. I then ordered Marth, Villager and Mario from TRU. I think I will get them all eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom