• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Assassin's Creed set in feudal Japan would feel over-familiar, says AC3 director

So Sengoku Japan is a theme that's been well-mined in video games? Versus:

-The Crusades
-The American Revolution
-The Age of Pirates

Excuse me

1405890449975.gif

Excluding Total War, what other games were set in the Crusades and American Revolution? Just curious.

jelly

There is probably too much new work involved that isn't as timely or profitable as their repetitive factory work.

MormaPope

Banned
Ubisoft could make space ninjas fighting sentient rocks on the moon in the year 5000BC feel overly familiar.

Yup.

Feels like Ubisoft relies on the vapid tourism aspect of AC. The worlds themselves feel empty and boring, BUT THIS TIME the prostitutes are french, the mercenaries chain smoke cigarettes, and there mobs of nobodies instead of groups of nobodies.

Madness

Yeah, Ancient East Asian culture would feel to similar. Better just stick to familiar Western Cities and time periods. /s

Stop the nonsense, Ubisoft. What would feel too familiar is your rehashed and boring gameplay at 30fps for that 'cinematic feel'.

Feudal Japan or China would be Amazing.

Did you even read the OP or his interview? His next choice if he had his way would be India during the rule of the British. It would work perfectly if done right. Ancient Indian temples and maharaja castles intertwined with Victorian British architecture, along with jungles full of Bengal tigers, animals like peacocks etc.

They also said they're looking at ancient Egypt but who knows. Additionally, they could do China but I'd hope they focus on the late 19th century, right as Hong Kong is under the grip of the British. Can use ships in the Hong Kong port area etc. A whole bunch of opportunities exist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
8 games of being the same type of assassin later...

"Oh, I've never been this assassin before."

Basically. I'd love to see Ubisoft take on Samurai Assassin's. Don't care if it's treading familiar ground. Assassin's/Templars makes it different already.

Betty

Banned
China or Japan would make for some strikingly beautiful scenery and outfits, I say for that reason alone, go for it.

You know what? Fuck AC, now that I think about it I'd rather get a feudal Japan free roaming from Rockstar.
Red Dead Samurai or something.

No just do Red Dead The Last Samurai.
Have an experienced cowboy start with a similar arsenal to what you had around the ending of Redemption.
The cowboy(player) will then discover new Samurai and Ninja shit(new mechanics and weapons).

Maybe even bring in faction loyalty(Empire, Samurai, Assassins, etc)

That way you keep it true to the series yet can do a radically different game.

They're saving the feudal Japan AC game for when the series stops selling well. When AC 7 bombs and people are writing off the series: "look, here's the feudal Japan AC game you always wanted. Buy buy buy!"

hilarious. it's because an asian dude on the cover wouldn't sell units. Minority protags will forever be relegated to spinoffs for this company. We shall forever be relegated to lesser known battles, like pirates or the war for american independence.

The game in the series that this guy worked on featured a Native American protagonist, who was on the box.

Altair was Syrian.

I suppose you wouldn't consider Italian, Welsh, or French diverse at all, which, fair enough. I also guess black and Asian and female characters being relegated to side games does not constitute representation, which, fair enough.

Dawg

We all know the real reason for this.

It's because Ubisoft is jealous that another franchise can also get away with sequelitis. A franchise which is, coincidentally, set in Feudal Japan.

Ubisoft is jelly of Dynasty Warriors.

I'm sorry, but does everyone in Ubisoft lack a functional frontal lobe?

They're so... Awkward. They have no idea as to how to talk to people. Can they say anything without it being obviously antisocial, hypocritical, and instantly redundant?

BouncyFrag

It's ironic but I feel the exact opposite...

At this point, I feel the constant western AC themes (whether it's America, Europe, or the Middle East via western Crusades) are overly familiar

And, ironically, a big budget AAA Japanese ninja/stealth open world game would be refreshing.
That would be a day one no brainer purchase for me. Ancient China could also be incredible. Imagine being able to explore mysteries such as these:
http://www.worldissues360.com/index...ed-by-discoveries-at-mysterious-pyramid-8763/
http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/11/the-mysterious-tomb-of-qin-shi-huang/

They gotta hold that feudal Japan crap when the interest on this boring series is fading.

You've gotta wonder if that's part of it. Do they really not notice that feudal Japan is the one setting that they're always asked about? It couldn't possibly be more obvious what people want.

hilarious. it's because an asian dude on the cover wouldn't sell units. Minority protags will forever be relegated to spinoffs for this company. We shall forever be relegated to lesser known battles, like pirates or the war for american independence.

The AC franchise is not one of the places to be pointing fingers for lack of diversity in their protags.

Kazerei

Banned
It's ironic but I feel the exact opposite...

At this point, I feel the constant western AC themes (whether it's America, Europe, or the Middle East via western Crusades) are overly familiar

And, ironically, a big budget AAA Japanese ninja/stealth open world game would be refreshing.

I agree. Western settings seem more familiar to me than Asian settings, and I think that's true for most western gamers. Stuff like Samurai Warriors and Tenchu are pretty low-key here.

MormaPope

Banned
We all know the real reason for this.

It's because Ubisoft is jealous that another franchise can also get away with sequelitis. A franchise which is, coincidentally, set in Feudal Japan.

Ubisoft is jelly of Dynasty Warriors.

You've gone and fucked up doggie.

Dynasty Warriors takes place in China. Samurai Warriors takes place in Japan.

There's some validity to what he's saying about going for less obvious historical periods and settings, but I feel like everything someone at Ubisoft says nowadays makes me roll my eyes.

"No idea is original. It's never what you do, but how it's done." In recent years I played 3 games where I was essentially Indiana Jones in Pitfall... Spelunky, 1001 Spikes, and La Mulana. At no point did I feel the theme was too familiar, and that the games couldn't be distinguished from each other, or didn't do something new with it.

Can't someone please just give me Tenchu stealth/lore x Ninja Gaiden combat/coolness x Assassin's Creed climbing/world realization? And also just make it the single player mode for a new Bushido Blade? And get RZA for the soundtrack? c'mon... someone with money out there must want what I want.

The game in the series that this guy worked on featured a Native American protagonist, who was on the box.

Altair was Syrian.

I suppose you wouldn't consider Italian, Welsh, or French diverse at all, which, fair enough. I also guess black and Asian and female characters being relegated to side games does not constitute representation, which, fair enough.

Half Native American, and you didn't even play as him for an age when the game started, and he was completely hooded on the cover, and through most of the gameplay.

At least they threw China a bone. Love for them to continue highlighting underrepresented regions so I can't argue on that front. If not Japan, China or Korea, do one of the Southeast Asian countries (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, The Philippines, etc.)

Ubisoft... 1930s Cairo. Like Indiana Jones, yeah? It'd work SO well. C'mon. Just... Move on from 1700s west-based settings. It's already starting to get really, really boring.

Gaz_RB

Maybe within gaming as a whole, but within AC itself I feel they've become stuck in a very western history focused rut. The backstory and snippets of other assassins suggests that they could go much broader both in terms of time and place than they currently are.

Maybe Feudal Japan isn't the right place to go, but following the European colonisation of the Americas and the birth of the US with revolutionary France doesn't feel like the most imaginative leap in the series.

I don't disagree.

Skux

If there's a minority people can all agree on, it's badass Japanese ninjas. I don't think it would be that big of a problem. Definitely not as much as having a female protagonist.

People always say this when the idea of feudal Japan as a setting comes up and I never understand it. What big games do we have that are set in feudal Japan proper? Shogun Total War 2? Tenchu?

Cerity

at this stage I can't help but feel that if they do release an AC set in japan, it'd be one around the time where Japan first came into contact with the US so they could shoehorn a white protag in.

Ubi pls.

linko9

I think there's an underlying assumption here that each specific time period and country in Europe or a European colony gets to be a separate 'setting,' while the entirety of Japanese history only gets to be one. True, Japan is smaller than Europe, but there are plenty of lesser-known times and places in Japan that would be fun for a AC game.

Mxrz

I liked the setting of 3, maybe wasn't used the best way, but I still liked it. Japan would feel a little overplayed at first glance.

MormaPope

Banned
Yeah, AC3 had a American Indian on the cover and he was the protagonist.

But hes also the most wry and dry protag in the series, dude had little to no personality. He reminded me of a T-800 from the Terminator series.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Um, wtf are you talking about?
Native American who also spoke authentically
hp-topslot_AC3-cgi-trailertcm2153795.jpg

Series started with an Arab
2287196-altair.jpg

Beautiful. I've hoped for a future iteration of Assassin's Creed to take place in Japan (China a close second) ever since the series was established. The architecture, the setting, the traditional Koto music arranged by the amazing Jesper Kyd...it's everything I want in an Assassin's Creed game.

MormaPope

Banned
Um, wtf are you talking about?
Native American who also spoke authentically

LOL, barely anyone speaks authentically in the series. Connor talked in his native language very rarely, and when he spoke English he sounded expressionless. His tone and dialect was phoned in.

Top Bottom