• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Assassin's Creed set in feudal Japan would feel over-familiar, says AC3 director

dirk-diggler-o.gif

That. Plus I was totally thinking of that one Beastie Boys vid for Sabotage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PN7Xbexq4

Somebody here on GAF suggested a long time ago having an Assassins Creed game take place in wartime Nazi Germany. Now Ass Creed usually bores the crap out of me for some strange reason that's beyond me.

But I would play the SHIT out of a Nazi Germany themed Assassins Creed game, fo' sho.

... That actually sounds interesting, huh. Too bad it'll never happen.

RowdyReverb

They've expressed this sentiment before, and I'm in agreement. Why bother making it an Assassin's Creed game if you'd have the same skill set if you were a regular ninja or samurai? What would set it apart from other games in that setting? There are so many other historical settings that have yet to be explored in open world video games that it just seems like a waste to do it on something so fully done already. Not that I have a problem with games set in feudal Japan, but AC belongs in unexpected locales and time periods. I'm still hoping for London during the industrial revolution, Imperial Russia, or something completely unexpected.

MormaPope

Banned
Off the top of my head, the majority of time period games are strategy games or WW2 first person shooters. I can't think of a specific time period that would feel overplayed when it comes to open world games.

mdubs

Banned
Ubisoft pls, all you need to do is add in the waifus problem solved.

Seriously though, I think an Assassin's creed in maybe the warring states or Edo period would be fantastic and hope they do it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Half Native American, and you didn't even play as him for an age when the game started, and he was completely hooded on the cover, and through most of the gameplay.
No really, what in the world am I reading. Do you know anything about this series at all? Dude really?
assassins_creed_37-wallpaper-800x480-4201.jpg

rrvv

So Sengoku Japan is a theme that's been well-mined in video games? Versus:

-The Crusades
-The American Revolution
-The Age of Pirates

Excuse me

TBH I do feel there is lack of American Revolution dedicated game

hilarious. it's because an asian dude on the cover wouldn't sell units. Minority protags will forever be relegated to spinoffs for this company. We shall forever be relegated to lesser known battles, like pirates or the war for american independence.

Altair, Ezio, and Connor are probably all "minorities" by today's standards.

ymmv

Banned
I think there's an underlying assumption here that each specific time period and country in Europe or a European colony gets to be a separate 'setting,' while the entirety of Japanese history only gets to be one. True, Japan is smaller than Europe, but there are plenty of lesser-known times and places in Japan that would be fun for a AC game.

I don't think a western audience will see the difference between a game set in Japan in the 12th century or one in the 17th century.

Western audiences are well acquainted with European countries and their history. We recognize different time periods, important historical figures, famous landmarks, buildingst, etc. It's part of our common history. On the other hand, we hardly know anything about Japan. Yes, they have ninjas and samurais, but that's about it. That's the complete extent of most people' knowledge about historical Japan. Make threee games set in completely different Japanese settings/time periods and gamers think those stories take place in the same time period and city.

Crossing Eden

LOL, barely anyone speaks authentically in the series. Connor talked in his native language very rarely, and when he spoke English he sounded expressionless. His tone and dialect was phoned in.
Connor spoke in his native language 80% of the time he was around his people. I honestly can't think of a scene where he's in his village speaking english. And english was his second language which is why it was monotone. His dialect was not phoned in at all, there's a ton of attention to detail in incorporating his tribe's customs into his character, like removing the option to scalp enemies early in development, or his annoyance at being touched.

hilarious. it's because an asian dude on the cover wouldn't sell units. Minority protags will forever be relegated to spinoffs for this company. We shall forever be relegated to lesser known battles, like pirates or the war for american independence.

Altair, Ezio, and Connor are probably all "minorities" by today's standards.

Edit: maybe not Ezio

Dark_castle

That would be a day one no brainer purchase for me. Ancient China could also be incredible. Imagine being able to explore mysteries such as these:
http://www.worldissues360.com/index...ed-by-discoveries-at-mysterious-pyramid-8763/
http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/11/the-mysterious-tomb-of-qin-shi-huang/

These are modern discoveries of ancient relics.

I want an AssCreed game that was set on those ancient times. The fall of Ming Dynasty (and rise of Qing) would for example makes a great period for assassins and rebellions.

Gator86

Looks amazing.

On topic, why would I expect the director of AC3 to have good opinions? That game was absolute fucking garbage. Can't think of a reason I wouldn't agree with the director of one of the most disappointing, frustrating games I've ever played.

ExVicis

They're saving the feudal Japan AC game for when the series stops selling well. When AC 7 bombs and people are writing off the series: "look, here's the feudal Japan AC game you always wanted. Buy buy buy!"

This is what I think as well. When the AC games stop selling good once again they whip out The Japan and/or China Title and rope us all back in again.

We all know it's what is really gonna happen. There's no way they're not looking at it, but I also don't think they're gonna make that AC until they have to.

theWB27

Connor spoke in his native language 80% of the time he was around his people. And english was his second language which is why it was monotone. His dialect was not phoned in at all, there's a ton of attention to detail in incorporating his native's customs into his character, like removing the option to scalp enemies early in development, or his annoyance at being touched.

Eden...I don't know how you constantly battle with people over AC. I don't think there's been too many other franchises that's featured minorities and in period not given attention in gaming.

MormaPope

Banned
Connor spoke in his native language 80% of the time he was around his people. And english was his second language which is why it was monotone. His dialect was not phoned in at all, there's a ton of attention to detail in incorporating his native's customs into his character, like removing the option to scalp enemies early in development, or his annoyance at being touched.

And he's around his people for what, 10%-20% of the game? Tons of people across the world have English as their second language, and they don't sound like deep voiced, monotone robots.

If you want authentic voice acting, look at Max Payne 3. Some Portuguese speakers noticed inconsistencies, but besides the main cast of characters, everyone else speaks Portuguese. They don't speak English with cartoony accents. And the characters that do speak English express themselves, they aren't monotone or dry.

If Ubisoft cared about authenticity, AC2 and AC Brotherhood would have everybody speaking Italian.

BouncyFrag

These are modern discoveries of ancient relics.

I want an AssCreed game that was set on those ancient times. The fall of Ming Dynasty (and rise of Qing) would for example makes a great period for assassins and rebellions.
That is what I meant. The less time spent in the present day, the better in AC games.

Half Native American, and you didn't even play as him for an age when the game started, and he was completely hooded on the cover, and through most of the gameplay.

Yes, his father was white, does that somehow invalidate his mohawk culture? If you recall, he spends his childhood with his mother among her people, and is then trained as an Assassin by a black man.

Yes, you play as his white father--who is nowhere in the media or promo material for the game--for the first few hours of the game, but what is your point? Haytham is far from your average 30-somehing angry swarthy wisecracking American game protagonist. Is diversity only a concept that relates to race or gender?

And the hood thing. Are you familiar with this series?

jblank83

"So, Assassin's Creed is one of those games that can take [lesser-known] time periods or corners of the world and make them cool, fun, new and refreshing."

You know, lesser known time periods, like the American Revolution, or the French Revolution, or Renaissance Italy.

Obscure stuff.

theWB27

And he's around his people for what, 10%-20% of the game? Tons of people across the world have English as their second language, and they don't sound like deep voiced, monotone robots.

If you want authentic voice acting, look at Max Payne 3. Some Portuguese speakers noticed inconsistencies, but besides the main cast of characters, everyone else speaks Portuguese. They don't speak English with cartoony accents. And the characters that do speak English express themselves, they aren't monotone or dry.

It seems that's the character they wanted to portray. How would you have had Connor speak?

Crossing Eden

There are a ton of conversations that you can have at the village with the elders and your best friend. And the direction in the voice acting is how the native american consultants from the actual tribe wanted their people to be portrayed, and also the voice actor for Connor is a native american. Who are you to tell people from their own tribe that their advice on what their people sounded like isn't authentic?

MormaPope

Banned
It seems that's the character they wanted to portray. How would you have had Connor speak?

He actually spoke with good expression and tone when he was a child. Adult Connor lacks emotion and conviction when he speaks. His motives seem far fetched and odd considering how unemotional he sounds.

The only unique aspect of AC is the setting, everything is so bland.

I feel Black Flag might have been a pretty good Sid Meier's Pirates! update if it wasn't for all the tired Assassin's Creed systems, the Ubisoft open world bullshit, and the utter idiocy of ship stealth missions when you're in a flippin' huge clipper.

bbjvc

Additionally, they could do China but I'd hope they focus on the late 19th century, right as Hong Kong is under the grip of the British. Can use ships in the Hong Kong port area etc. A whole bunch of opportunities exist.

As a Chinese I will be thrilled to have an full AC game set in late 19th century China.

To me, the best part about AC game is it always set in an unique (in regard to setting in gaming word) and critical point of human history. When cultural movement or clashes are under way.

late 19th century China would be a perfect fit. it's under the power struggles between Han warlords and Manchu nobles, public's conflict opinions on westerners and the nation's future. the first movement of democracy. Boxer rebellion, war. it has everything.

woen

On topic, why would I expect the director of AC3 to have good opinions? That game was absolute fucking garbage. Can't think of a reason I wouldn't agree with the director of one of the most disappointing, frustrating games I've ever played.

As expected from GAF, a great "opinion" where the people who points out his point of view is insulted because a game he made (or directed) didn't please some people and what he says is not disputed in substance.

Also, people here should read more carefully. "Lesser known periods" means periods and locations which are less know by the gamers as gaming playgrounds, apart from RTS, and which have a significant singularity in terms of historical significance. This is one of the biggest reason of the popularity and success of AC and this is why you probably won't see a feudal Japan core AC game anytime soon. It makes sense from an Ubisoft point of view and I'm sure they have plenty of ideas for future core games (going back in time, going in other continents, exploring the late 19th century...)

I completely disagree. If your costumer feels that they've been there before, then it is entirely your fault. None of the games even have architecture similar to Japan. A game set in Feudal Japan or China would be awesome. I wouldn't mind India though.

MormaPope

Banned
fun fact: Connor was voiced by a Native American VA

Didn't like the direction they gave him.

There are a ton of conversations that you can have at the village with the elders and your best friend. And the direction in the voice acting is how the native american consultants from the actual tribe wanted their people to be portrayed, and also the voice actor for Connor is a native american. Who are you to tell people from their own tribe that their advice on what their people sounded like isn't authentic?

Why is Ubisoft selective when it comes to authenticity then? And you're making the tribe out to be a much bigger aspect of AC3 then what it really was. You can spend time talking to people, but the vast majority of missions and activities took place far away from the tribe. You're acting as if Ubisoft portrays history realistically across the board, when that isn't the case at all.

Connor was a boring character, the tribe aspect was underutilized. Authenticity doesn't make something automatically good.

Check the options menu.

I never knew Italian VO was in AC2 or Brotherhood until now.

I get the feeling a lot of players are in the same boat. Also, does that then make Desmond speak Italian, or is the Animus aspect only affected?

Logash

I understand what he is saying but no one has done a grounded game set in past Asian society. Pirates were definitely an overdone theme but it worked because for the most part it was grounded in reality. I recently took a world history class and found the Asian section to be fascinating. Feudal Japan was ripe with political struggle and different factions fighting for power. I believe Assassin's Creed does these types of stories the best and it would totally work with and AC set there.

I would love an AC in Japan, but to those people trying to make fun of his statement, I can't see how this is dumb at all. In fact, I think it makes perfect sense from a concept point of view.

AC is already basically a ninja game. Part of what makes it unique is that it isn't a Japanese ninja game, and that the settings chosen compliment this style in a fresh way. This is also why I don't think modern day or WWII settings make sense, but for the opposite reason. AC is largely a melee combat stealth game. You can certainly make it work to have machine guns etc., but design-wise, how much sense would it make for an Assassin to run around in broad daylight WWII, dodging bullets and tanks? Is he going to drive cars/tanks etc.? That's basically just turning it into every other open-world game.

I agree that India and especially Egypt seem like smarter choices.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand the appeal of these boring-as-fuck games.

Damerman

8 games of being the same type of assassin later...

"Oh, I've never been this assassin before."

exactly this... renaissance-Victorian western europe over and over again... yet one eastern game in a genre full of fake ass ninja's like Ryu hayabussa(ryu is a fake ass ninja) and all of a sudden its generic... what bullshit.

I'm not a pan-African, nor a conspiracy theorist, but this looks way too close to some white supremacist European xenophobic bullshit to me.

Crossing Eden

Didn't like the direction they gave him.

Why is Ubisoft selective when it comes to authenticity then? And you're making the tribe out to be a much bigger aspect of AC3 then what it really was. You can spend time talking to people, but the vast majority of missions and activities took place far away from the tribe.

Connor was a boring character, the tribe aspect was underutilized. Authenticity doesn't make something automatically good.

I never knew Italian VO was in AC2 or Brotherhood until now.

I get the feeling a lot of players are in the same boat.
Just because you didn't like the direction they gave him, (as in, an accurate depiction of a native american from that specific tribe), doesn't mean that it was not authentic, period. The tribe aspect may not have been the biggest focus of AC3 but it definitely was a part of the game and Ubisoft did a lot of work to respect the tribe. And you're moving goalposts, you went from "it's not authentic" to "just because it's authentic doesn't mean that it's good." Which it is btw, a native american being accurately portrayed in a huge triple A game with a huge marketing campaign is a good thing for the industry. Especially considering how well the game sold. Even if people find accurate depictions to be boring, because AC3 was much more accurate and close to history than the rest of the AC games.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Yeah, if you ignore Far Cry 4. And Assassin's Creed 1. And Assassin's Creed 3. And Assassin's Creed Liberation.

theWB27

He actually spoke with good expression and tone when he was a child. Adult Connor lacks emotion and conviction when he speaks. His motives seem far fetched and odd considering how unemotional he sounds.

It wasn't unemotional. His motives were far fetched? You mean saving his people was far fetched? You mean a child showed more emotion than a man that was trained to be an ASSASSIN and handle himself? You mean the Connor that let his actions speak instead barking and getting emotional? He lacked emotion, but he definitely didn't lack conviction.

I don't know what you're criticising really. There is no person you can point to and say....Connor should've acted like this. Should've sounded like that. Are there not people who speak in a monotone manner? Why is it so bad that this character did so?

I can understand you not liking it, but I don't understand your angle of comparing him to other people or other franchises who chose to portray their characters the way they wanted.

I think typing the assassins as either Ninja or Samurai would be a disservice to the series. I think that it would be a great opportunity for a three way battle between Assassins, Ninja, and Samurai. Run around roof tops too long? A ninja might start chasing you. Causing too much trouble on the ground? Them samurai will get ya.

Stiler

I would like to see an "origin" AC game, where it follows how the whole thing start, the first Templar, etc.

Apart from that, am I the only one who'd like to see a futuristic AC game? I know part of the draw for AC games is the history and exploring the past, but honestly I think it would be amazing to see a game set in a futuristic dystopian city. Think of Blade Runner, a very "noir" feeling to the landscape/sound and art design. A worn down/dirty look with bright neon lights abound.

Having Parkour to travel around along with "flying" vehicles to make ways around the huge landscape and skyscrapers.

Having energy swords/blades, or something that feels simialr for melee and a focus on more rpg elements, with branching storyline and ability to affect how things play out.

Kinyou

I'm happy about the French revolution because it means we get some giant buildings to climb again. An Assassin's creed set in Asia wouldn't feel overly familiar at all though.

lol, are you serious? Every Assassin through the series wears a hood, and Connor actually took it off whenever he was in his homestead.

Top Bottom