• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An ER Kicks the Habit of Opioids for Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Pain is mind over matter. It's mental. You can overcome it.

Oh god fucking please leave the medical scientists to such proclamations. I would love for you to tell certain patients with chronic pain that it's all mental and they just need to overcome it. Then I'd hope they'd dead punch you in the face for being an insensitive prick.

Monocle

It's the difference between what is easy and what is possible.
OK, try chopping off your fingers and willing the pain away. Use the urgency of the situation as motivation.

If you don't want to do that, at least go visit a cancer center and share your wisdom with the patients. They need to understand that willpower is the only thing separating them from enjoying their final days pain-free.

If all of this sounds too drastic, I understand. You could test out your ideas with an even simpler method. Just visit a local mall and slap a stranger's child. Explain to the (momentarily) shocked child and the (momentarily) furious parents that their thoughts create reality.

Go forth now and spread enlightenment. It's selfish to keep your important insights to yourself.

SmokeMaxX

I'm in nursing school right now, and one of my teachers gave a quick run-down on reiki shit the other day, though she wasn't really endorsing it (she'd prob get fired, since evidence-based practice stuff is what everybody wants nowadays) so much as explaining what it is, since she's trained in it. Honestly, I think it's stupid, but at the same time, if the patient buys into it, gets a placebo effect out of it, and avoids having to get a medication that could produce an adverse effect or interact with something else, why not? If there's some kind of junction between perception and human health, we might as well take advantage of it.

I think it's a scam to charge for placebo services. Any of this stuff is fine for free, but I can't get behind any placebo service that's profit-driven.

Oh god fucking please leave the medical scientists to such proclamations. I would love for you to tell certain patients with chronic pain that it's all mental and they just need to overcome it. Then I'd hope they'd dead punch you in the face for being an insensitive prick.

i've had chronic lower back pain for 16 years now, all my adult age. tried every pain killer, including opioids many times over, nothing works. even major surgery in 2004 did nothing.

the ONLY thing that has finally helped is pranic healing. it really was just some negative energy that had invaded my fragile cosmic aura.

just kidding lol nothing works :/ well vigorous exercise can sometimes work temporarily because of the endorphine rush, but once that subsides my pain is worse for rest of the day.. so yeah.

i'm an ER worker myself and the day i see some nurse playing a harp to patients... man i will not stop laughing. i can't imagine any of the nurses in our hospital doing anything like that, ever. even if it worked, no one would agree to the humiliation. they'd just walk out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it's a scam to charge for placebo services. Any of this stuff is fine for free, but I can't get behind any placebo service that's profit-driven.

Administering actual placebo medicine is unethical practice and therefore doesn't really happen in a clinical setting.

I completely agree with the idea that the US needs to tone down it's liberal distribution of opiates. From the limited experience I have with US healthcare, it's apparently somewhat of an entitled culture where patients often demand to be prescribed name-brand narcotics regardless whether they are truly indicated or not. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Severe injury should be immediately treated with the appropriate pain medications obviously. But for non-critical cases, we adhere to a strict system of pain management over here, ramping up dosages or switching to different meds only if the previous dosage didn't prove effective enough. People rarely get over-prescribed opiates as a result.

I don't see how pranic healing or harp playing has any business in the ER though. Non evidence-based alternative medicine seems like the very worst way to handle these issues.

shira

OK, try chopping off your fingers and willing the pain away. Use the urgency of the situation as motivation.

If you don't want to do that, at least go visit a cancer center and share your wisdom with the patients. They need to understand that willpower is the only thing separating them from enjoying their final days pain-free.

If all of this sounds too drastic, I understand. You could test out your ideas with an even simpler method. Just visit a local mall and slap a stranger's child. Explain to the (momentarily) shocked child and the (momentarily) furious parents that their thoughts create reality.

Go forth now and spread enlightenment. It's selfish to keep your important insights to yourself.

I work with chronic pain and cancer patients. Relaxation and mental focusing therapies are extremely important daily regimes.
When patients have constant pain for months and years realize that drugs don't prevent pain - they only dull pain they become a lot more receptive to non-drug therapies.

We see markedly better results with patients that are actively trying to wean off drugs than patients who just want a script with refills.

Air

Banned
This is a problem that needs to be addressed. Yeah some of the methods may be weird, but I'm all for studying weird science, but it should not be at the cost of the patients life (I.e. The panic healing part should be used for minor cases where there isn't much risk to the patient).

Edit: mindfulness practice should be incorporated too.

Feh. It's been proven that black people are administered /less/ pain killers. What would I get here, half the harp playing time? Pranic Woman only laying one hand on me?

If they really want to push this holistic stuff, they should /combine/ the holistic healing with pain killers. Actually have a program where they slowly wean people off the stuff. Do a better diagnosis so they can tell who really needs opiods, who only needs a few, and who is trying to get high.

I work with chronic pain and cancer patients. Relaxation and mental focusing therapies are extremely important daily regimes.
When patients have constant pain for months and years realize that drugs don't prevent pain - they only dull pain they become a lot more receptive to non-drug therapies.

We see markedly better results with patients that are actively trying to wean off drugs than patients who just want a script with refills.

The problem is that the brain is just another organ and relaxation and mental focusing therapies produces changes in it but it doesn't work for everyone and is not a matter of willpower or thinking through it.

The headline is pretty click bait though, no hospital ever is giving up opoids though the power of the placebo is nice.

It's the difference between what is easy and what is possible.

e4GMK.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If someone started playing a harp and a "nurse" closed her eyes with her hand stretched out toward me last year when I went to the ER with appendicitis, I would have fucking murdered someone. Yeah, I get the opioids can be addictive and fuck with people, but I had solid 6 pain constantly with jumps to 9-10 that had me doubled over in tears. Morphine made it bearable until they cut the fucker out.

Good god those pictures infuriate me and I'm not even in that hospital.

I wonder how many in this thread actually read the damn NY Times article. Because if they did, they would realize the harp stuff is more akin to a visiting therapy dog than any type of actual treatment ordered by a physician.

This is true, but some people aren't capable of getting to that point yeah? Like munchausen patients, or anyone who would sort of fit that description. I don't think the mentally strong are the ones who are l seriously at risk for opiod dependence in the first place.

Of course I think most people will admit that things like relaxing music and heating packs can help relieve pain.

Clockwork5

I would call 911 for an ambulance to take me to a different ER if someone came up to my bed with a harp.

If I already had potent opioids coursing through my veins some harp music would be nice, but listening to harp music while im writhing in pain sounds tortuous.

Amir0x

Banned

Uh huh, of course you do. Then you'd know that pain isn't ALL in the head and you'd stop making such bullshit proclamations. I don't even care what other shit you think works when you say indisputable diarrhea like that. Take a long, hard look at your profession and do a better job for your patients, because if you were my Doctor and you said it was all in my head - despite near endless evidence to the contrary - I'd spit in your face. This is not a joking matter, and you insult patients with chronic pain suggesting they can think the pain away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom