• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Experiment: How Important is NeoGAF?

Always-honest said:
i think Neogaf contributed to the sales of Demon's Souls.

As a fairly new PS3 owner, the OT influenced me to buy Demon's Souls as my first game.
My friend strongly suggested against it since it was fucking hard, but I still bought it to see what the rave is all about.

Some people say it is their GOTY or GOTG, for me it is my GOTForever.

Thanks GAF!

Addressing points!

SuperAngelo64 said:
NeoGAF is probably the most self-important, chest-beating community on the internet.
What better type of forum to try a project like this? :D

Foxix said:
But yeah, OP, if I hadn't developed such a strong conviction against digital downloads I would completely join you. If there's a way to buy just 80 points I'd heavily consider it.
You could get 100 points from that Bing thing...

SapientWolf said:
Is there a recommend button for XBLI games? I don't spend much time on the dash so maybe I haven't noticed it, but that would be one of the quickest ways to spread the word on a buried gem. The other is through other forums.
There's a rating system, where you can rate a game out of five and then it goes into the "Top Rated" list if it's good enough. Rating this game is the best place to start, and you can go rate it even if you haven't bought it, though if you've played the trial, you'll buy it if you've any taste!

Rabbitwork said:
i don't think this is the best way to track the influence of GAF.

i'm not sure what it would be exactly but there's too many things to consider in the entire process of measuring this.

for some reason i feel like the minecraft thread on here has really helped that game in some way.
Possibly, but the problem is that this is a different game to Minecraft, that thread works because there's so many different experiences to talk about, etc, whereas this is just an awesome score attack game. The thread wouldn't live as long. That, and, getting people to click the thread in the first place isn't easy as soon as you mention "Xbox LIVE Indie Games" because to many people that just means "shit avatar games." So I figured, why not try another angle? :D

Kafel said:
Is it a thread about NeoGAF or Hypership ?
Yeah, let's get this back on track! To be honest, this isn't a thread to see how important GAF is necessarily, it's just a thread to see if GAF can make a difference. There's an awesome game here, and it's not doing as well as it clearly deserves to.

There's a 9/10 review on Eurogamer that just went up, we can't really claim responsibility for that but it's awesome, and a sign of how great this game is.

Let's get people playing it, GAF. Or at least, let's do what we can. Then the next time you want to say how shit the Xbox Indies are because Try Not to Fart is spending its 112th week at the top, at least we'll know we tried to do something.

At the end of the day, I just want people to play the game I love, because I know they'll love it too.

EDIT: TWITTER of course. If you like the game tweet about it, that'll get some more people interested too! Here's a short link to the game on the marketplace to tweet with: http://bit.ly/bGApNk

What else can we do?

Machine

toythatkills said:
Then the next time you want to say how shit the Xbox Indies are because Try Not to Fart is spending its 112th week at the top, at least we'll know we tried to do something.

WHAT?? There's a game about Farting? Where have I been? Why didn't anyone tell me? I must check out the Xbox Indies now! Wait, what was this topic about?

-PXG-

SuperAngelo64 said:
NeoGAF is probably the most self-important, chest-beating community on the internet.
This. As cool as GAF can be, what we post here will never have any significant effect or baring on the industry.

Eliciel

I am one of the more recent members, in fact I'm a junior member and the main reason I wanted to join this forum was Demon's Souls discussion and Killzone 2 discussion + .gif fury.

I think that neogaf has the power to affect the decission of every gamer out there as long as there is any interest to it in general. I think that this forum contributed a lot to the killzone 2 hype if not sales and little bit less but also a lot to the Demon's Souls hype maybe also to the sales. The more people hear from a game the more can be it, logically.

In general I think it's hard to influence people buying games just because it is said that it has some eye stunning graphics or plays incredibly good. But somehow gaf managed to create an enormous hype for Killzone 2. It was everywhere. The hype train did break the light speed barrier. I myself bought both games day 1, because of the news and hype in this forum (DS not day 1 but hong kong import).

So, I personally god RROD 2 weeks ago so only on PS3 now, but maybe a project like this could affect sales. But in the end sales will go up because "we" so the forum member which also post here wanted to try this out. I think mouth-to-mouth always works but that's no evidence for gaf influencing everyone. But this project really sounds interesting and I will tell at leas 5 friends to tell also their friends about it.

In german there is a saying which could be translated to something like:

If we look at the 7 friends/family members that one person knows and then again look at the 7 friends or family members he/she knows. Then we could say that the whole world knows each other.

So yeah, it is a bad translation but maybe some of you understood what I was trying to put through. :lol

EDIT 1:
the twitter action already started for me, you can find me at twitter: Voady

:D let's change the fate of this game

LCfiner

-PXG- said:
This. As cool as GAF can be, what we post here will never have any significant effect or baring on the industry.

We got Jeff Bell to switch industries

(no, we didn't)

Eliciel

-PXG- said:

that's why telling friends and all other possiblities should be considered also. I think the idea behind it was that all of this starts here. Now all parts of this community body have to work. Tell anyone you know, post everywhere you can.

Never forget about that slogan top left: NeoGaf Believe

It's just like the good old-ladys chattering about the new gardener in town and his good-looking body :lol (lol my girlfriend watches to much sex and the city and desperate housewife shit, it is not my fault ^^)

STG

I really like that game but too bad I don't have any points and can't use this bing search thing since I am from germany

would have bought that game

-PXG- said:
But we can have an effect on a game, especially when it costs $1, or 50p, or something. We must be able to. There are 60 or so people in this thread, and this is cliche but if all those people buy it, then tell two people, that's not really that much further to go to actually double the sale of this game. And we can do more than that, I'm sure. We've all got friends lists on our 360s, if we have 360s, send messages to people, ask them to give Hypership a go!

JodyAnthony said:
will buy it.

edit: is there a way to find out how many copies different games sold? or was the info just let out by the dev?
Only if/when the dev released the info, yeah.

Ploid 3.0

Althoran said:
Definitely true. I bought this game solely on GAF praise.

Yep I bought Demon's Souls because of NeoGaf, and the Deluxe edition because NeoGaf said the game would chew me up and spit me out. It did, but thankfully I had the guide.

So in a way we're getting Demon's Souls 2 because of NeoGaf.

Anyway I don't have a 360 so I can't do anything with your pew pew game.

snap0212

clipboard01rrli.jpg

Vollständiges Spiel = Full Game. :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
if you want gaf to have a significant impact on the sales of a game you really need to encourage word of mouth. like praising the game on other forums, "liking" the game on facebook if it has a page, if you're a journalist write a short article/review for it (which could then get digged), write a piece on it if you run a popular blog etc.

that could potentially have a much larger impact than simply buying one copy of the game for yourself. virality (that a word?) is the only way a community like gaf can have a significant effect on the sales of a game.

Shurs

What does this game bring to the table that is new and unique?

I have no experience with the game, it's just an honest question.

Jintor

If one could harness Gaf's mystical powers (herd of cats?), or if you wanted to test Gaf's effect on the wider industry, I'd like to see it used to perhaps do something relatively simple - attempt to get larger companies to implement a colourblind mode and/or closed captioning as industry standard.

Corto

Could you create an |OT| thread for the game? Or these indie games are contained in a gigantic multi-purpose mega-thread?

Jintor said:
attempt to get larger companies to implement a colourblind mode

As someone who has a hard time distinguishing red/green, light green/yellow, dark green/brown, red/orange/dark yellow, I support this.

Erasus

Been a lurker for about a year before I got accepted, and I love this forum. You guys made me check out so many games based on OTs.

GAF is a catalyst.

Games that exceed expecations get the praise and recognition they deserve. Games that fall below expectations get the criticism and hate they deserve. The only crime being that perfectly 'good' games can get more hate than they deserve because more was expected of it - and because GAF loves to hate.

So you get this huge volume of hate because a game like Heavenly Sword or Too Human is '7.0' good instead of '9.0' good and because of this most gamers won't give it a chance.

giggas

You know, didn't play the game, knew nothing about it until this thread, but I just bought it through xbox.com right now. I'll download it when I get home from work, seems cool.

A friend of mine released an Indie game recently and after seeing all the effort he put into it, I felt bad when he told me how well it performed (it's a fun little puzzle game called Vexis that starts out a little too simplistic but actually gets pretty fun after the first world). I only really started paying attention to the Indie games section when I was looking for his game to pop up and I've actually really like a lot of the stuff there.

So anyway, I'll give this dude my dollar because I know the amount of effort put into it was probably rather great. Plus, I'll contribute to the "GAF Test."

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I never even heard of this game, but it seems like something I would definitely enjoy. I'll check it out tonight.

_Bro

Banned
I'd say SomethingAwful is more important to sales than GAF. They tend to actually do 'stuff' involving games and not get caught up in sales, people behind the scenes, and not talking about the game.

Take a look at their Dwarf Fortress threads or.. Let's Play in general. I'm sure that's caused more sales than GAF being upset abaout framerate.

graywolf323

well I don't even own a 360 anymore but I have some leftover points from whenever I last bought something off marketplace so I used some and picked this game up :lol it's still a sale even if I don't play it right? :p

edit: or at least I would buy it if Xbox.com's Live Marketplace would let me... keeps saying "Sorry, this page is unavailable" whenever I click download to my 360 to buy it

tokkun

What kind of person buys a game solely to make a statement about the power of an online forum they frequent? I would like to hope that most GAF members are not such tools.

Yes Boss!

tokkun said:
What kind of person buys a game solely to make a statement about the power of an online forum they frequent? I would like to hope that most GAF members are not such tools.
Me. Put a good hour into this one and it is great! Pleased about this thread, no matter the intent.

Zeliard

Always-honest said:
i think Neogaf contributed to the sales of Demon's Souls.

There's probably some truth to this. The Demon's Souls thread is exceptionally popular, with over 2 million views, and a lot of its sales came though positive word-of-mouth over the Internet which GAF likely contributed pretty heavily to.

LiK

NeoGAF influences the gaming media and developers and thus, controls the gaming world. huhuhu

Top Bottom