• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Sony Shipped Just 125K to 175K PS3s in North America

Arsenal

I know you all are just dying for more analyst numbers...

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14540

According to research by analyst PJ McNealy of American Technology Research, for Sony's PS3 launch weekend, the company shipped between 125K and 175K units, far below the 400K that had been targeted all along by the company. McNealy noted that these latest figures even include 15K units that were sent to retail for interactive kiosks.

"After further review, our research indicates that Sony's PS3 opening weekend shipments were below our already lowered expectations, while Nintendo's Wii numbers remained in-line... [Sony's shipment] number is below our previously lowered expectations of 250k to 300k. We previously expected SNE to be able to still make a calendar year 2006 North American and Japan shipment number of 2MM, but those numbers are now under review," McNealy stated. "We will continue to monitor the frequency and volume of SNE's shipments to retail over the next 33 days or so ahead of Christmas, as well as the context of SNE's ship-in numbers being a factory floor-invoiced number as of December 31st."

He continued, "To be crystal clear, we don't expect it likely that SNE will update any of its hardware numbers before it reports its December quarter in late January. We believe that the December NPD report of North American November retail hardware is shaping up to be 125k to 175k, but outside of NPD and other local (Japan) market reports, we expect SNE to remain mum and focus on delivering units to retail."

The numbers for Nintendo's newly launched Wii console were far more encouraging, however. McNealy's research indicates that Nintendo shipped between 425K and 475K to North America for launch.

"This number is in-line with our expectations, and bodes well for consumers looking for a Wii this holiday season. Our research indicates that Nintendo will likely ship at least 1.5MM to 2.0MM units to North America this calendar year, which indicates that availability of the Wii both at retail and via online stores should provide buying opportunities," he said.

Normally I would agree Wario, but it isn't that hard to contact retailers and figure things out from an analysts point of view

Elios83

Jack Tratton from Sony has a different version:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16035820.htm

Sony expects to have fewer units on store shelves today than the 400,000 it previously forecast, Jack Tretton, co-chief operating officer of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said Thursday. The company probably won't hit that mark for another week, meaning that the total number of PlayStation 3s on store shelves will be ``tens of thousands'' short of what the company expected, he said.

So the launch day shipment was between 300-400k and with the second shipment this week they should have shipped the promised 400k.
But maybe he's lying and this analist is correct.

jax (old)

Banned
Um. What is going on with Sony?! I hope this doesn't affect the australian launch. Its damn ridiculous how fiascoish their launch has been. Can someone post the NA launch window games? When is oblivion..etc, more stuff hitting? FightNightR3 is coming out soon right?

GhaleonEB

Elios83 said:

Sony expects to have fewer units on store shelves today than the 400,000 it previously forecast, Jack Tretton, co-chief operating officer of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said Thursday. The company probably won't hit that mark for another week, meaning that the total number of PlayStation 3s on store shelves will be ``tens of thousands'' short of what the company expected, he said.

So the launch day shipment was between 300-400k and with the second shipment this week they should have shipped the promised 400k.
He sounds like he's saying they'll be "tens of thousands" short of the 400k target another week from now. Wasn't 400k supposed to be day one? If they are still going to be short of that two weeks after launch, a 200k initial launch allocation doesn't sound too far off.

Jesus. I'm floored.

I'm sure SONY is lying. They just shipped 2 units for each store, multiply that by 1000 stores that were able to get any at all, and you get it all.

flammie

Elios83 said:

He could easily be telling the truth, since what Sony expected to ship/sell has changed numerous times over the past year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
He sounds like he's saying they'll be "tens of thousands" short of the 400k target another week from now. Wasn't 400k supposed to be day one? If they are still going to be short of that two weeks after launch, a 200k initial launch allocation doesn't sound too far off.

Jesus. I'm floored.

Don't you mean one week after launch? More than likely they will hit at least 350,000 PS3s shipped by the end of the week.

Elios83

GhaleonEB said:

Jesus. I'm floored.

Umm no he's clear on that,he was interviewed just before the launch last week and he said they won't reach the 400k for an other week, which means that by the end of this week they should have shipped the expected 400k units.
This means that November NPD PS3 numbers should be around 350k (considering that Canada gets shipments too).

Arsenal

Elios83 said:

That was also 5 days ago, and he was estimating how many they would be able to get out. But Sony's version technically doesn't say anything concrete - "tens of thousands" could mean 20k or 300k. If we saw Sony come out and say how exaclty how many they had shipped, that would be one thing, but these vague PR announcements don't mean Jack (sorry about the pun Mr. Tratton).

GhaleonEB

Elios83 said:
Umm no he's clear on that,he was interviewed just before the launch last week and he said they won't reach the 400k for an other week, which means that by the end of this week they should have shipped the expected 400k units.
This means that November NPD PS3 numbers should be around 350k (considering that Canada gets shipments too).
Ah, I didn't see that the interview was a week old.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ynos Yrros said:
I'm sure SONY is lying. They just shipped 2 units for each store, multiply that by 1000 stores that were able to get any at all, and you get it all.

Even if what the Sony rep says is 100% accurate, it's still not good news for the company. Though bad news and Sony have become somewhat synonymous these last few months, so it's not at all alarming.

duk

Banned
McNealy noted that these latest figures even include 15K units that were sent to retail for interactive kiosks.

So the units available to consumers is actually lower.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
who's going to go even lower? seems like the predictions just keep falling and falling in numbers

and when the REAL numbes come out, they're never held accountable. ytf do we have to have these threads...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It actually turns out that the PS3 never really shipped at all. There is no spoon.

Why don't these analyists just call Best Buy?

I've seen the letter Sony sent to Best Buy. It clearly stated that due to circumstances, Sony reduced the amount of systems available to 280k. That's how many were available for shipment. It's very possible that about 240k or so were shipped launch day, and the remaining units we're seeing coming into stores now are the remaining 40k.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
neojubei said:
and sold about 260,000
ok

Neojubei: nexgenwars says they sold >260,000
ok

jonezer4

Let me get this straight. Nintendo said they were shipping a million for launch... then wound up shipping just barely above as many as Sony was planning on shipping instead.

No frickin' wonder Wiis are so hard to find. They launched at about 66% the number that the GCN did.

I wanted to blame Gaffer for the ill-advised notion that I could walk in and buy one launch day, but now I definitely see who the real culprit is.

(It's Nintendo, in case anyone didn't read that.)

jimbo

Banned
Well considering the fact that Sony themselves have changed their launch numbers 3 times in the past month and a half, why would ANYONE still put any faith into what they claim?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stumpokapow said:
Neojubei: nexgenwars says they sold >260,000
ok

There is a difference between North America and Worldwide. 175k in NA plus 85K in Japan is, you guessed it, 260K.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
urk said:
There is a difference between North America and Worldwide. 175k in NA plus 85K in Japan is, you guessed it, 260K.

I don't think you understood my post. Neojubei was saying this analyst was wrong or somehow non-credible, and then cited the 260k number which I've heard from no source other than nexgenwars, which is the least credible source we could possibly have about sales.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Well, right now there doesn't seem to be any credible information at all. The only sure thing is that Sony did not initially ship enough systems to meet preorder demand. Whether or not that means they shifted those over to larger box retailers or simply did not have enough systems on hand in the states is anyone's guess.

Personally, shipments below 300k don't seem too far fetched given the reductions in early Sony predictions, along with reduction in the Japanese markets and complete unavailability of the system in both markets.

Ravidrath

This is true, BTW.

A friend does some marketing consulting for Target, and they told him this...

1. Target got 14k PS3s nationwide.
2. Sony told Target that was 11% of the total U.S. shipment.

So, if you do the math...

...That means there were about 127k PS3s shipped at launch.

urk said:
Even if what the Sony rep says is 100% accurate, it's still not good news for the company. Though bad news and Sony have become somewhat synonymous these last few months, so it's not at all alarming.

The real question is will the shortage continue.

Sean*O

Yeah.. that 800,000 by December 31 number isn't looking too good now... is it.

Why anyone believes Sony at this point, I'll never know.

Deku

Banned
Deja-vu? I thought parts of this news piece was posted yesterday without the first pagraph discussing Sony's shipments.

In anycase, concerning the discrepancy, it appears both Sony and Nintendo split up their shipments. 125k on launch day and another 125k before 'black' Friday would mave ~ 250k units ships for Sony, and ~500k on launch day and another ~500k before Friday for Wii would make 1 million shipped.

It is plausible both companies may infact have ~250k and ~1million units respectively in the supply chain on launch day, buth only about half were actually sold to consumers. So they kept their word, sorta.

Here's my comment for this thread. Sony continually missing their promised targets is going to hurt their credebility with gamers and with the business community from retailers up to the money people. from 400k down to 280k (i guestimated 300k last weekend) is not good news.

People should realize by now. Sony, Nintendo, and MS uses the media and word of mouth craze during system launches as a huge marketing scheme to promote their new consoles... almost for free:

1. Create buzz and promise a decent launch number.

2. Cut shimpent number by around half (whether intential or not), thus creating a shortage on supply, when people expect much more (demand).

3. Watch as the media's coverage (commercials) on people camping out for that "hot, new system that everyone wants, but can't get."

4. Ship more systems a week or two later, after eBay has worked it's magic, boosting the "street value" of your system by several times it's original price... so that you don't piss off TOO many people that can't/won't pay ridiculous eBay prices and actually want to buy the system to play and not sell.

5. Laugh at "analysts," newspaper writers, the media in general, and forum users as they squabble over your initial launch numbers like they actually mean something. :lol

Deku

Banned
I don't think Nintendo and Sony cut their final stated (or unstated) shipments. It just got split up in the channel.

Worth noting that when Nintendo ships their next batch (well they already shipped it as its friday) they would have just hit their 6th day on the market, less than a week.

Next monday will probably be PR proclaiming 800k to 1 million in 1 week or something to that extent, a major feat under any circumstances if they hit that mark, and I think they will.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Going by the situation locally, even 125,000 seems a little high. There were supposedly 500,000 360s at launch, and stores that had 150 360s had less than 35 PS3s. Stores that had 50 360s had around 10 PS3s. The nearest K-Mart had 30 360s, and 0 PS3s. The stores that had 20 360s or less all seemed to have 0, too.

Top Bottom