• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And Now Comes a YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND REVIEW THREAD to spread controversy

Foffy

Banned
I was expecting better scores, way to many 4s and 5s.

Considering the developer, anything around that range seems statistically accurate. The Yoshi franchise has been in the hands of hacks for nearly a decade now, even when Artoon fell off. They still somehow got their hands on it and continued on one of Nintendo's worst sub-series.

Marjar

Banned
Hmm these reviews really are all over the place.

I'm just gonna press my luck and get it. While the DS Yoshi game wasn't great, I feel like I'll enjoy this. Plus I actually didn't mind the music in the trailers. :p

I don't understand how either A Link Between Worlds or Tropical Freeze fits in to your argument.

TR was covered under DKCR: it's very much it's own game, rather then an attempt to recreate DKC (snes). Likewise, DKC:TF is more a followup to DKCR then any attempt to recreate the old games.

LBW is iffy. It's defiantly pushed on the nostalgia factor of revisiting a past zelda world, but gameplay wise, it does try to do few things new. You can defiantly feel the heritage of LTTP though, which is more or less the game pattern all 2d zeldas since the snes game have followed.

This isn't just a nintendo problem though. It seems that the longer a series goes on, the bigger chance that it becomes, well, cookie cutter. Castlevania is a good example: After SoTN, all further 2d games are just SoTN clones.

Final Fantasy woudl be the opposite. It's all over the map design wise, and besides a few tropes, very few of the games seem to have anything in common.

I'm guessing Yoshi's Island DS probably sold pretty well for Nintendo to give the series back to Artoon again? This looks so bad though, but it could be fun. Hard to justify a $40 purchase that might be hit or miss though. Why can't they just give us the original for VC? Goddamnit Nintendo why won't you let me give you my money.

ec0ec0

Yes, production was contracted out to a new company called Arzest, formed from the ashes of Artoon (Nintendo's previous contractor for Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, now defunct). Nintendo's Kyoto teams (Takashi Tezuka is producing) were supposed to be supervising and helping out with this game, but it looks like they lost their golden touch...

time to not let that team make a nintendo game again. Nintendos name means more than this, it needs to mean more than this. Its obvious that nintendo cant make as much games as they need to, but i hate when they give an ip to someone else and this happens (sometimes, not allways). They shoud take more care with ips that are not mario. I mean, obviously its not the first time that something like this happens. In the gamecube era, for example, i remember starfox assault from namco...

Its not new, but you can normally "guess" if a nintendo game is going to be great by looking at the name of the team thats making the game (yeah... what a surprise, i know :p. ). If teams like the ones at EAD could make all the games...

If they what to sell "premium software", quality needs to be similar across the board.

maxcriden

I'm guessing Yoshi's Island DS probably sold pretty well for Nintendo to give the series back to Artoon again? This looks so bad though. Why can't they just give us the original for VC? Goddamnit Nintendo why won't you let me give you my money.

IIRC it's a million seller.

Ridley327

it's another artoon yoshi game. Anyone that got their hopes up was being too optimistic

An Artoon by any other name would underwhelm as much!

You'd think that a team that had Sonic and Panzer Dragoon veterans wouldn't be so consistently mediocre, but that's just what it is. Nintendo seems to really like working with them, though.

ec0ec0

1 million sold is not as surprising as it should be because of the insane install base of the DS, i would say. Especially, if the game had a nintendo character (yoshi) in the cover.

Kinsei

Banned
how many levels/worlds are in the game? If you dont mind me asking, but it's a fixation of mine when it comes to platformers

According to the GameXplain reviewer there are 6 worlds with 9 levels each. There might be a secret world for getting 100%, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dr.Hadji

ALBW is one of the most unique Zelda games in a while. It doesn't really fit your argument.

Eh, I'd say its less unique than SS and the two DS Zeldas. Those games have features completely unique to them and will probably remain unique to them for a while. Weather or not you like them is a different story. Heck, besides TP I'd say ALBW is the least unique Zelda since the Capcom GB Zeldas.

Phazon

Ah, got it. I'll look forward to seeing what the later bosses have to offer.

Not going to expect to see something that impressed me the same way the YI1 final boss did, but ah well.

The endboss is very disappointing imo. So don't expect a lot from that one.

There is a secret boss if you manage to clear all the levels without 'wing' help :)

bede-x

Not as high as you'd hope for a new Yoshi game, but I'm still in. Ended up loving the Artoon effort almost as much as the original and expect I'll like this as well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's inability to replicate the magic of Yoshi's Island is one of gaming's biggest tragedies.

kswiston

Re: Edge using the who scale:

I don't think they are actually all that much better than most other websites. Where anything under an 8 on IGN means serious problems (or niche genre the reviewers don't care about), the Edge equivalent is more or less anything under a 7.

Teknoman

Nintendo's inability to replicate the magic of Yoshi's Island is one of gaming's biggest tragedies.

They have the ability to, they just dont seem to care.

At any rate, if the soundtrack was at least of any worth, i'd see it as worth a play.

I really hope Yarn Yoshi does some interesting "non-sleepy" music.

maxcriden

100%? And does that include the secret levels?

Can you spoiler who it is?

I would also add to these questions-- did you get 100%? If so, I'm wondering if you get anything additional for it. (This is under the assumption that the secret boss is for clearing the regular, not including secret, levels without using wings.) Also, does the wings showing up affect you, or only actually using them? I know previous games with assist items have varied on this point. Thanks!

Eh, I'd say its less unique than SS and the two DS Zeldas. Those games have features completely unique to them and will probably remain unique to them for a while. Weather or not you like them is a different story. Heck, besides TP I'd say ALBW is the least unique Zelda since the Capcom GB Zeldas.
Eh, I wouldn't really agree. Those games are unique control-wise, but the general gameplay structure is more or less the same as things have been since OoT, with some small twists. You have to approach ALBW unlike any Zelda game since the NES era.

MercuryLS

Banned
Everytime Nintendo takes a shit on one of their franchises like this, I lose more and more respect for them. I remember when a Nintendo game was guaranteed greatness. It's a bit of a crapshoot nowadays.

Tony91

4news.it - 8/10

"Yoshi's New Island è l'ennesima conferma della naturale predisposizione di Nintendo verso il genere platform. Cercando di dimenticare Yoshi's Island DS, questo nuovo capitolo sembra davvero un degno erede dell'originale Yoshi's Island uscito per Super Nintendo Entertainment System più di 15 anni fa. Il suo gameplay, la realizzazione tecnica e la trama si ricollegano perfettamente al capostipide della serie, migliorandone alcuni aspetti e rendendo la sua esperienza portatile e giocabile ovunque!"

Apdiddy

I was a huge fan of Yoshi's Island growing up and after trying to play Yoshi's Island DS (I've never actually beaten YIDS), I'm slightly disappointed but not surprised seeing the reviews.

At this point, Nintendo should just given Yoshi's Island to Retro Studios since they figured out how to make new games feel classic.

maxcriden

4news.it - 8/10

"Yoshi's New Island è l'ennesima conferma della naturale predisposizione di Nintendo verso il genere platform. Cercando di dimenticare Yoshi's Island DS, questo nuovo capitolo sembra davvero un degno erede dell'originale Yoshi's Island uscito per Super Nintendo Entertainment System più di 15 anni fa. Il suo gameplay, la realizzazione tecnica e la trama si ricollegano perfettamente al capostipide della serie, migliorandone alcuni aspetti e rendendo la sua esperienza portatile e giocabile ovunque!"

Grazie Tony, added to the OP!

R0ckman

I'm starting to find out more and more that I need to play games for myself and not rely on reviews or even GAF in some cases. SM3DW is waaay overrated for a bunch of ideas crammed into a more frustrating than enjoying multiplayer demo game. Felt like a chore to get through more than anything else. Add a power or two and multiplayer and I guess that's enough? Yoshi's New Island looks like what you'd expect with a few new transformations, what more do you want with a mostly nostalgia driven franchise? Ah whatever, as said before I'll be getting the game for about half off anyway so it's not that much of a gamble.

Top Bottom