• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Both looking a bit interesting for the Paris premiere. Garfield is way too awkward of a human being to be rocking that look.

image.jpg
i see Emma is into goth nowadays. possible spoiler for Spiderman 2?

M.D

It's not a Marvel Studios movie, its a Sony Pictures movie. Marvel wants it to tank so they get their most lucrative IP back.

It Doesn't seem to work so far!

Sony's new 'Spider-Man' poised for amazing opening

Early fan interest in Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” looks to be just that — amazing.

Audience surveys circulating around Hollywood this week show that the web-slinger reboot is generating a level of excitement reserved for only a handful of the summer’s biggest hits.
Even though “The Amazing Spider-Man,” which overhauls the creative team behind the first three movies, doesn’t open until July 3, potential ticket buyers — even young women — already are more interested in the superhero story than they are in “Brave,” which will premiere this weekend to as much as $65 million.

One rival marketing executive estimated that given the tracking numbers, “The Amazing Spider-Man” could sell more than $150 million in its first six days of release, a time period that includes the Fourth of July holiday. Sony declined comment.

Data from one polling company showed that Sony’s film is sparking very strong “definite interest” and “first choice” responses from every demographic group except older women. Tellingly, “The Amazing Spider-Man” has more support among all men and younger women than both “Brave” and “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter,” which also open this weekend.

Equally impressive, the earliest reviews for the film, mostly from London, have been highly favorable.

Sony’s last three “Spider-Man” films were global blockbusters, selling nearly a combined $2.5 billion in tickets around the world. But the studio was concerned that a fourth movie with the same creative team, owing to escalating budgets and hefty profit-participation deals, would be financially risky.

So original director Sam Raimi was replaced by Marc Webb, who made the hit indie romantic comedy “(500) Days of Summer,” while Peter Parker (formerly Tobey Maguire) is now played by Andrew Garfield (“The Social Network”). Like the first “Spider-Man” movie, released in 2002, the new production is an origin story, focusing on how Parker became the wall-climbing crime-fighter.

But even with the new team, “The Amazing Spider-Man” wasn’t cheap to make, costing $230 million because of elaborate action scenes and visual effects.

Marvel wouldn't want this movie to fail. Spider-Man 3 sucked but, as we can see right now, Spider-Man is still one of the big three names of comic books. If Amazing Spider-Man fails, that'd only hurt whatever attempt at relaunch Marvel Studios would make. Especially considering Sony does seem to be more willing to cooperate with them in the future.

M.D

Sony mostly goes over budget in movies but i am glad it will atleast be good.
and i am asking this for the third time why does the CGIcost so much when sony has its own VFX studio

I don't think they get any "discount" or a deal. I'm pretty sure they pay just like any other studio would.

Fezan

I don't think they get any "discount" or a deal. I'm pretty sure they pay just like any other studio would.

EVEN on IN HOUSE studio?I think George Lucas also got discount on Star wars prequels
They should probably go to Weta or ILM next time .because the only negative thing about this movie for me is lizard

It's not a Marvel Studios movie, its a Sony Pictures movie. Marvel wants it to tank so they get their most lucrative IP back.
Won't Marvel still all the money off of toys, comics, t-shirts that are bound to start popping all over Targets, cartoons, etc that will all be getting a huge bump after this movie?

Won't Marvel still all the money off of toys, comics, t-shirts that are bound to start popping all over Targets, cartoons, etc that will all be getting a huge bump after this movie?

If it was their own movie they would get all of that anyway, plus the box office and home video receipts. As a longer term plan the Spider-Man IP being in the hands of Marvel is of more benefit than it being in the hands of Sony, at least for Marvel.

I really do wonder if they're going to do that. Especially with how it actually happens
Peter's web snaps her neck
. It's way too fucking grim for a Spider-Man film.
I can only see them ever thinking about doing it if Green Goblin is involved. Highly doubt they would even then. If Amazing is a trilogy there's no way the final movie would have the love interest killed, so it could only happen in ASM 2

Also, the comic of how Gwen dies is one of the most important comic books, like, ever. Don't think you need to spoiler it.

B.K.

Did the script for Spider-Man 4 or even a treatment ever leak? I wonder what it would have been about and if it would have been good.

Yes, it did leak and get pulled. Why SM4 got cancelled. Sony got assaulted with ton of negative feedback.

Alright, starred the Vulture as a rival of JJJ. Spidey beats him and he dies. Then his daughter Felicia Hardy becomes the new Vulture called Vultress and her and Spidey fight.

Now think about that.

Yes, it did leak and get pulled. Why SM4 got cancelled. Sony got assaulted with ton of negative feedback.

Alright, starred the Vulture as a rival of JJJ. Spidey beats him and he dies. Then his daughter Felicia Hardy becomes the new Vulture called Vultress and her and Spidey fight.

Now think about that.

Sounds so fucking awful.

Now think about that.

John Malkovich alone would have made it worth the price of admission.

I can only see them ever thinking about doing it if Green Goblin is involved. Highly doubt they would even then. If Amazing is a trilogy there's no way the final movie would have the love interest killed, so it could only happen in ASM 2

Also, the comic of how Gwen dies is one of the most important comic books, like, ever. Don't think you need to spoiler it.

People in the DKR thread used to get pissy about discussions regarding plot points in Knight Fall.

But people in DKR thread aren't comic fans amirite.

I mean... Gwen nowadays is almost more famous for being the only non-origin story death that hasn't been retconned than being Spider-Man's first love.

It might not have been retconned but Marvel retroactively defiled her character in Sins Past worse than just about any other retroactive adjustments in the comic book medium, which is saying something :(

Edit: Also, it should be noted that Straczynski's original plans for OMD had Gwen resurrected along with Harry.

Aw fuck, What did Marvel do this time?

From the wiki page:
The story arc "Sins Past" by J. Michael Straczynski in The Amazing Spider-Man #509-514 (August 2004 - January 2005) reveals that Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin's alter ego, fathered twins, a boy and a girl, with Gwen Stacy, to whom she gave birth while in France shortly before her death. She vowed she would raise them with Peter and refused to allow Norman access to them. Seeing her as a threat to his potential heirs, the Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacy.

It might not have been retconned but Marvel retroactively defiled her character in Sins Past worse than just about any other retroactive adjustments in the comic book medium, which is saying something :(

Edit: Also, it should be noted that Straczynski's original plans for OMD had Gwen resurrected along with Harry.

Sins Past? OMD? Good sir I have no idea what you're talking about, clearly you are making this up.

kunonabi

goddamnit. This is exactly why I don't read comics anymore. I used to love reading Spider-Man comics but they just keep piling on this type of garbage to the point where I refuse to read them now.

Unf. The Garfield praise is getting me wet.

A young buckamazing-spider-man-review made testy by grief, a rebel without a comb, Garfield nails all bases here, star DNA aglow. Stare-y eyes melting, he’s winningly earnest; lithe of physique, he delivers in the dust-ups; blithely gatecrashing Gwen Stacy’s bedroom, he gives good dreamboat. (Total Film)

Webb is aided by a terrific performance from Andrew Garfield, who brings a genial unflappability that allows him to negotiate the often-ludicrous demands of the superhero plotline. (Guardian)

Garfield gets the best lines and is a comic, often slapstick, presence for much of the movie as he learns how to cope with his new powers. (Time Out London)

Andrew Garfield is brilliant. Whether his slightly less nerdy, but slightly more nervy Peter Parker is better than Tobey Maguire’s is debatable, but his Spider-Man is magnificent. He quips away like he does in the comics, and even from behind the mask he makes the humour work. (SFX)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
A young buckamazing-spider-man-review made testy by grief, a rebel without a comb, Garfield nails all bases here, star DNA aglow. Stare-y eyes melting, he’s winningly earnest; lithe of physique, he delivers in the dust-ups; blithely gatecrashing Gwen Stacy’s bedroom, he gives good dreamboat. (Total Film)

That is one of the worst written sentences of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom