• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I have gameboid but I heard there are better GBA emulators out there now

Well I've read on various forums, including this thread, that all of Robert Broglia's emulators are excellent (GBA.emu in this case) but I've not tried them so can't vouch for them myself.

louiedog

How much extra am I supposed to be downloading for Jurassic Park Builder? I installed the apk from the app store, ran it, saw an intro vid, and then a download started. It got to the end and then the app closed. When I opened it back up the same thing happened, but with a slightly different sized download. This has happened 4x now with files of varying sizes between 120 and 130 MB. I get the feeling this is not correct.

Flambe

I think mine was 146.9MB or something, only downloaded once and it started right up without the app closing.

Using a Transformer Prime.

I have both and I would probably recommended epsxe as it has the most accurate emulation and it is very simple to use. There's is no need to mess with the settings to get it right. With FPSE I wouldn't have accurate sound.

Anyone recommended any GBA emulators?
Someone on here recommended GBA.emu and it works great. No crashes or anything. Works flawlessly with my new Moga controller, too.

alf717

I have both and I would probably recommended epsxe as it has the most accurate emulation and it is very simple to use. There's is no need to mess with the settings to get it right. With FPSE I wouldn't have accurate sound.

Thank you, I'll probably pick it up after the sales.

Skyzard

Banned
For the new page, about Sonic 4 ep II = be warned - has an automatic (and useless to us) background service. Dodgy and painful waste of battery that you can't disable.

Had to uninstall for now :/ Couldn't justify the service.

Only game I have that has it. Paid app as well.

Cronee

Heads up for anyone who ordered a moga controller last week:

Apparently the shipment number Power-A gives you is missing the last two digits. DK745 on CAG pointed this out and said you can call them to get the last two digits or you can just type in numbers until you see your package (Thanks litobirdy). I just plugged numbers in until I got to my order. Make sure you look at the destination. I saw many packages from CA, WI, IN, FL, WV before I hit 63 (my package). It should be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm a little lucky, I only had to hit 08 to get mine to pop up. Delivery date: Christmas Eve! YAY!

louiedog

If you have rooted phone use Link2SD like all cool kids.

I completely forgot about that app. I installed it after rooting, reflashed not long after, and forgot all about it. I guess it was one of the few apps that I didn't restore from backup. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm a little lucky, I only had to hit 08 to get mine to pop up. Delivery date: Christmas Eve! YAY!

That's when mine was supposed to arrive, but it got delayed in WI due to the weather. I understand that's out of their hands, but it did take an entire week to get there. Unfortunately I'm flying out on the new due date. :(

womp

GBA.emu

Nothing else comes close. Pay the $3.99 and get the best. All Robert's emu's are fantastic, regularly updated and feature native Wiimote and iCade support built in out of the box.

Sideload SNES.emu if you want a free preview of the rest.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads/Snes9xEX-9-1.5.3.apk?attredirects=0

Agent X

Gold Member
Well it reads your contact list if it makes the decision any easier..

I heard about that, but what exactly is it reading? Is it checking to see if any of your friends might be registered users on Origin, so that it can populate your "most wanted" list? PS3 & PS Vita version already do something like this in reverse (using registered PSN accounts), as I've seen at least one of my real-life friends on the "most wanted" list, even though he's playing the PC version.

Skyzard

Banned
I heard about that, but what exactly is it reading? Is it checking to see if any of your friends might be registered users on Origin, so that it can populate your "most wanted" list? PS3 & PS Vita version already do something like this in reverse (using registered PSN accounts), as I've seen at least one of my real-life friends on the "most wanted" list, even though he's playing the PC version.

Oh that is a good point actually, that might be it...can't say though, curious myself now.

Skyzard

Banned
I bought it even though they can read your contacts list which is rather odd. It runs really well on my A100 which is a Tegra 2 device. Game is a big one though, it is 2GB.

Do you know if it tells you scores that people in your contact list got?

Oh 2GB..I'm already at my limit as well, need a microsd card

alf717

Do you know if it tells you scores that people in your contact list got?

Oh 2GB..I'm already at my limit as well, need a microsd card

Do you mean like how Hot Pursuit show friends time with the social network? It shows a most wanted list and does bother me to sign into Origin from time to time so I want to say yes but since I don't use Origin much I cant confirm since I have no friends on my list.

Skyzard

Banned
Do you mean like how Hot Pursuit show friends time with the social network? It shows a most wanted list and does bother me to sign into Origin from time to time so I want to say yes but since I don't use Origin much I cant confirm since I have no friends on my list.

Ah I see okay thanks - seems a bit unnecessary to need the contact list for that though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I downloaded all four Zenonia titles. Strange how the first and second cost money, but the third and forth games are free. Haven't tried them yet.

Also looking at some of those so called HOG games, but some of them have an interactive adventure quality to it. Was eyeing Theatre of the Absurd.

womp

I downloaded all four Zenonia titles. Strange how the first and second cost money, but the third and forth games are free. Haven't tried them yet.

They aren't free. You get to enjoy in app purchasing. When the first two were made, IAP wasn't the idiotic 'standard' that it is nowadays.

Darkmakaimura

They aren't free. You get to enjoy in app purchasing. When the first two were made, IAP wasn't the idiotic 'standard' that it is nowadays.
So I heard but is it required to make the purchases? Is the complete game there when you download it or do I have to buy chapters? Or is it just buying good weapons and armor that I may or may not need?

womp

So I heard but is it required to make the purchases? Is the complete game there when you download it or do I have to buy chapters? Or is it just buying good weapons and armor that I may or may not need?

Don't know how it works in particular in these newer games in the series, but as a general rule of thumb I don't waste my time with that kind of shit anymore.

Either give me the whole game for full price, which I will be more than happy to pony up the cash for and support, or not at all.

By supporting this trend, it will just make the 'Smurfberries' worse. Then again, actually paying for cash up front and then getting IAP's is the worst offense - as all those initial Dead Trigger purchasers have discovered.

Darkmakaimura

getting an android phone soon and saw this. Curious myself.
Yeah, I'd really like to know if it's actually required to make purchases. As in, just paying for good items or paying to unlock the second half of the game? Anyone here could answer that would be helpful.

Twinduct

Wild blood is pretty decent. But man I can't get use to touch controls for those types of games. Pen & Paper quest has been awesome so far!

Daigoro

why would Jetpack Joyride be running in the background when i boot up my phone? is this normal?

when i tried to FC it crashed and rebooted.

Darkmakaimura

So does anyone have an answer to my question regarding Zenonia 4? I'm really wondering if the IAPs are required to complete the game.

linsivvi

So does anyone have an answer to my question regarding Zenonia 4? I'm really wondering if the IAPs are required to complete the game.

I've only just finished 1 and about to start 2, but from what I've read on message boards I don't think the IAPs are required at all.

And I found this review:
With the release of Zenonia 4, developer Gamevil has made every title in their venerable action RPG series freemium. But if you shudder at the thought of them turning Zenonia into something like Farmville or Dungeon Hunter 3, then you’ll be pleased to know that Zenonia 4 wasn't designed like your average freemium game. You never have to put a cent into Zenonia 4, and you'll still get the full experience, with no limits, for free.

Darkmakaimura

I've only just finished 1 and about to start 2, but from what I've read on message boards I don't think the IAPs are required at all.

And I found this review:
That's good if that's the case because Zenonia 4 looks really good. I would hate to have to find out it's not a complete game and requires paid downloads to add on portions of the game to complete it.

linsivvi

That's good if that's the case because Zenonia 4 looks really good. I would hate to have to find out it's not a complete game and requires paid downloads to add on portions of the game to complete it.

I've only read good reviews about this series and that's why I dived in. 5 is released too so I'm looking forward to play all of them.

Darkmakaimura

I've only read good reviews about this series and that's why I dived in. 5 is released too so I'm looking forward to play all of them.
Yeah, I love JRPGs and this series looks pretty good. Actually, it looks a bit more Zelda-ish which is a good thing too. I'm hoping the get Zenonia 5 out for the Kindle Fire HD but it's nice to have all four of them on it right now.

Is Need For Speed: Most Wanted a good recommendation on the Nexus 7?

I'd like to know this as well, especially since it's on sale right now.

Yep, works perfectly on my N7. Criterion have put in a decent amount of effort into the mobile version as well. For one, it syncs progress across whichever platforms you own the game for (through Origin). I had finished the game on PC and when I started the Android version, I got a whole bunch of car unlocks directly. It looks good and runs pretty well too. You have to get used to tilt steering though. There's an option to use the touchscreen to steer if you want, but that's even worse IMO. For a dollar, you really can't go wrong with the game.

I'm against IAPs as much as the next guy, but is it really so bad if a free game required a payment to get the full experience? As long as it's reasonably done and not a cheap money grab, I don't see any reason to complain.

louiedog

I'm against IAPs as much as the next guy, but is it really be so bad if a free game required a payment to get the full experience? As long as it's reasonably done and not a cheap money grab, I don't see any reason to complain.

This is how I feel. So many games require you to buy packs of potions/coins/whatever to keep playing the game. You could theoretically spend $50+ if you wanted to play the game regularly for weeks without being frustrated by waiting. That's the wrong way. However, if it's paying a buck or two to unlock the full game or a few levels at a time from what is essentially a demo, I have no problem with it. As long as it's obvious and there's full disclosure about what the free version is and what you can/need to pay for to make it a worthwhile experience I'm okay with IAP.

I also have no issue with games like Jetpack Joyride and Spell Sword where the gameplay is fun and I can pay a couple of bucks to get money twice as fast, but the game itself is good enough that it's fun and not tedious to just play it without constantly pumping money in. The design of those games doesn't feel like IAP was the focus.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, wtf? Wild Blood is good. Like, legitimately good. What the hell does Gameloft think it's trying to pull here?

I've never found a Gameloft game to be really compelling or engaging before. At best they were competent, like Order & Chaos. This shit is really a good beat 'em up, it reminds me of one of my favorite old classics "Knights of the Round".

Darkmakaimura

I'm against IAPs as much as the next guy, but is it really so bad if a free game required a payment to get the full experience? As long as it's reasonably done and not a cheap money grab, I don't see any reason to complain.
I'd rather pay up front for the full experience. Zenonia 1 and 2 cost .99 cents each and contain that. I don't want to have to pay multiple installments to receive a full game. Now granted, I have nothing against paying extra for certain weapons or armor that you may or may not need, but I don't want to have to pay for chapters or whatnot on a single-player game that is absolutely required to complete it.

Also, from a couple complaints I read, people don't like paying around $20 - $30 or more for a mobile game that shouldn't cost more than $10 for a full out experience.

So, my problem with Zenonia 4 wouldn't be paying for items that would help you out much better but rather paying for actual portions of the game required to complete it.

linsivvi

That's my feeling as well. My problem with IAPs is that the developers will never tell you upfront how much you need to pay to get the full experience. I'd rather know the real price of a game before I invest the time into it so I can make an informed decision instead of left hanging in the middle of the game.

So while I won't avoid games with IAPs, I'd definitely check multiple reviews and messages boards before I download them.

BiggNife

Has anyone here received a moga from the freebie deal a couple weeks ago and tried to use the universal driver to play emulators?

I can't get the driver to connect to the moga consistently and it's super annoying. I got it to work a couple times but not on a consistent basis. I'm using the IME since i'm not rooted.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Gameloft have put a few more of their games on sale for $0.99/£0.69.

Are NOVA 3 or the Modern Combat games any good?

edit - the new games on sale
NOVA 2 & 3
Modern Combat 2 & 3
Tintin
Amazing Spiderman
Gangstar Rio
9mm
Dark Knight Rises
Backstab

Raonak

Banned
Does anyone know a good citybuilding games? or any game like Emperor: rise of the middle kingdom?

figured a touchscreen would actually be good for stragety like games.

if it's tablet optimised, all the better.

BiggNife

If anyone here was thinking about picking up Chaos Rings for $4, I'm enjoying it so far. Annoying DRM aside, it's fun and simple JRPG, and it's actually a decent Android port as opposed to FFI and II.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend Wild Blood. Game looks nice but gameplay is bland and combat feels really clunky and stilted. I was hoping for a decent God of War-like action game but it's just a boring hack and slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom