• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A heads up to those who are becoming MOGA owners: The official software is less than desirable, especially if you own an HTC device.

I know there's that other driver floating around the store, but I thought I'd just mention that the PowerA one isn't too wonderful. At least for me so far.

ShowDog

Is Need For Speed: Most Wanted a good recommendation on the Nexus 7?

The game runs terribly on my Tegra 3 One X, and even if it didn't its quite boring in the early go. Didn't run into a single sharp turn before I uninstalled, just a series of gentle banks.

Agent X

Gold Member
Yep, works perfectly on my N7. Criterion have put in a decent amount of effort into the mobile version as well. For one, it syncs progress across whichever platforms you own the game for (through Origin). I had finished the game on PC and when I started the Android version, I got a whole bunch of car unlocks directly. It looks good and runs pretty well too. You have to get used to tilt steering though. There's an option to use the touchscreen to steer if you want, but that's even worse IMO. For a dollar, you really can't go wrong with the game.

Thanks! I decided to give NFS:MW a try, and it's a very good game. It runs very well on the Nexus 7.

It's structured quite differently than the other versions--which is fine with me, since I've also got the Vita version if I want to play a miniaturized rendition of the console game. I don't think that game would've worked very well on a touch screen device without having the full range of controls available, so the developers instead used some of the assets from the other versions to create a new game that suits these devices better.

I bought Riptide GP a few days ago (also a very good game), and since then I've gotten accustomed to tilt steering. That form of control works well in that game, and it works well in NFS:MW, too.

Overall, while it cannot serve as a substitute for the "full" NFS:MW experience, it's a game worth playing in its own right. If you like racing games at all, then this is easily worth the current 99¢ asking price.

wanders

A heads up to those who are becoming MOGA owners: The official software is less than desirable, especially if you own an HTC device.

I know there's that other driver floating around the store, but I thought I'd just mention that the PowerA one isn't too wonderful. At least for me so far.

Moga Universal Driver is amazing

Cipherr

Sooo, theres no voucher system so my Sword and Sorcery that I bought from the bundle will show on the Playstore eh? Google should add a system like that.

Not complaining though, I got the game a long while ago, and cheaper considering the bundle. And my version has no DRM that I can tell, so....

Skyzard

Banned
Sooo, theres no voucher system so my Sword and Sorcery that I bought from the bundle will show on the Playstore eh? Google should add a system like that.

Not complaining though, I got the game a long while ago, and cheaper considering the bundle. And my version has no DRM that I can tell, so....

Not entirely sure if that is what you meant but there is a Humble Bundle app that you can use to re-download your files..or you could try searching your email inbox for the keys?

BiggNife

Yeah, the Pivot app seems less than stellar. And not a whole lot of games support it, outside of newer gameloft and sega games.

On the other hand, I was finally able to get the third-party universal driver working consistently. It works on all the emulators I've tried to so (MyBoy, Super GNES, ePSXe) so I'm happy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Is there a game similar to Scramble with Friends where you have the option to play by yourself instead of other players?

There was one alternative I found on the play store, but it was uninspiring and dull...

louiedog

Is there a game similar to Scramble with Friends where you have the option to play by yourself instead of other players?

There was one alternative I found on the play store, but it was uninspiring and dull...

I like a game called WordHero. Everyone is playing the same board at the same time and at the end of each round there are leaderboards showing you how you did against others. There's a new game every couple of minutes. I'm not quite sure if it's what you're looking for since it does involve other people, but there's no sending invites or waiting for others to make a move before you can play. It's essentially single player with a motivator. It also requires a connection to the internet.

Truespeed

Purchased Spiderman and Nova 3. I usually try to avoid Gameloft games, but at 99 cents why not. My favorite purchase so far has been R-Type - great graphics and, most importantly, super easy to control.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Truespeed

Is the Android version of PvZ still incomplete compared with the iOS/PC versions, or did EA update it?

You only need to read the scathing reviews to find the answer. Yeah, it's still missing content. I'd probably buy it if it wasn't. Not sure what their rationale is.

Quixzlizx

You only need to read the scathing reviews to find the answer. Yeah, it's still missing content. I'd probably buy it if it wasn't. Not sure what their rationale is.

Yeah, I'd buy it too. Even though it's only 99 cents right now, I don't want to spend money on a crappy port on principle.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I like a game called WordHero. Everyone is playing the same board at the same time and at the end of each round there are leaderboards showing you how you did against others. There's a new game every couple of minutes. I'm not quite sure if it's what you're looking for since it does involve other people, but there's no sending invites or waiting for others to make a move before you can play. It's essentially single player with a motivator. It also requires a connection to the internet.
Pretty cool game. Thanks for the recommendation.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So anyways, Zenonia looks great as I mentioned before. Very beautiful looking game.

Anyways, just to let know I am new to mobile gaming and tablets. In fact, the Kindle Fire HD is my first touch screen experience. I am noticing there are a lot of interactive fiction type games and I used to grow up on Scott Adams and Infocom like Zork and Voodoo Castle. There seems to be a lot of graphical type one's that remind me of Zork Nemesis and Inquisitor.

I purchased and downloaded Theatre of the Absurd Collector's Edition and so far I really like it. I understand it is also what they call a HOG (Hidden Object Game). This Big Fish Games seems to make a lot of these. It's odd though to see a lot of people concerned about the demonic themes on the Big Fish Forums so I'm guessing the mobile gaming attracts a lot of "casual" gamers?

Anyways, gonna have some more fun and watch this thread. I am new to all this since all my life I've been a console and occasional PC gamer.

You guys lemme in on the in's. I really like JRPGs and adventure games. Also platformers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Turns out the best SNES emu is free, just Google broglia snes9x for the apk. Even has its own BT support built in.

Holy shit man, thanks for this advice. Just downloaded the version 1.53 and its works flawlessly on my S3+Wiimote. So weird being able to play Snes games on my phone with good contols. Must be qute awesome on a tablet like the Nexus 7.

Are there any other good free emulators for GBA, N64 or Mega Drive you could recommended ?

Android games should support the Wiimote native, i mean its easy as hell to register.Platformers like Gunman Clive would be even more awesome like that.

BiggNife

Lord almighty, Chaos Rings was bland. Uninstalled after 30 minutes.

It's very late 90s JRPG if you're into that.

I guess it depends on your expectations. I've wanted a simple RPG that I can easily jump in and out of at a moment's notice for a while now, and Chaos Rings fits that bill nicely. It's not amazing or anything but I feel like I got my money's worth for 4 bucks. If I paid $12 for it, I might have felt differently.

Truespeed

Why the fuck does the WiiMote not work with Android 4.2? Thats bullshit.
Google broke it.

This may have something to do with it

Android 4.2 introduces a new Bluetooth stack optimized for use with Android devices. The new Bluetooth stack developed in collaboration between Google and Broadcom replaces the stack based on BlueZ and provides improved compatibility and reliability.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
AndroidGAF, I'm having a hard time installing a new MicroSD on my Xperia Play. Shouldn't it be as straightforward as: move all my apps from the SD to phone storage, install the new card, and then move them back to the SD?

Once I put the new SD the phone won't read it properly. Am I doing something wrong? ;_;

Recommendation for the game that's taken over my Android gaming experience.

Pinball Arcade

I had it on my old phone and the experience was a bit choppy, but on my SIII and my Nexus 7 it's great. They also just added Twilight Zone and Star Trek machines as well.

You pay by 1 or 2 machines at a time, but you can preview any of them. The last two are also very deep tables with lots to do.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
uKMLeuxaSH90Vp_YFR0CWBBsV5GAIsVxakcmC-qfW472GoqNjceurR0D3LPAw8Qnq4M=w705

Ichi is now free on Android

★ "Stolen Couch Games' Ichi is a well thought out puzzler that will occasionally quicken your pulse" - EDGE ★

Ichi is an easy to play but challenging one button puzzle game. Don't be deceived by the game simplistic look, it’s a brain twister for sure! Collect golden rings by rotating objects, using teleporters, breaking blocks and more. If that isn’t enough, the game includes a level editor that allows you to create your own levels and share them with anyone around the globe!

Features:
- Fun and original one button gameplay!
- More than 10.000 user created levels!
- Built-in level editor!
- Create and share your levels online!

uesMgKg3AVtsUMT9UvkXLs0CxYthlyxmvoNYbLJMibSZHT_W9Im79Rqy5tAphLUlifU

Download here

Skyzard

Banned
^ It's quite a nice game as well, tried it when it was the daily free game on the UK amazon app. - recent free one is doodle jump christmas edition btw.

Holy shit man, thanks for this advice. Just downloaded the version 1.53 and its works flawlessly on my S3+Wiimote. So weird being able to play Snes games on my phone with good contols. Must be qute awesome on a tablet like the Nexus 7.

Are there any other good free emulators for GBA, N64 or Mega Drive you could recommended ?

Android games should support the Wiimote native, i mean its easy as hell to register.Platformers like Gunman Clive would be even more awesome like that.

As far as I can tell his mega drive emulator (MD.emu) was also free before it became paid - the mega drive one, he's taken the link off but you can still find it around. That's what I did a few days ago and it works really well.

womp

All of Robert's .emus are wonderful and the best you can get. Just pony up the dough for the others. He has the SNES one for free only because Google removed it from their market a couple years ago for whatever reason.

The free emulators cannot even come close to the quality you will get from his.

^ It's quite a nice game as well, tried it when it was the daily free game on the UK amazon app. - recent free one is doodle jump christmas edition btw.

As far as I can tell his mega drive emulator (MD.emu) was also free before it became paid - the mega drive one, he's taken the link off but you can still find it around. That's what I did a few days ago and it works really well.

I don't recall MD.emu ever being free (I bought it a long, long time ago) but you are most likely using an ancient version and if so are missing out on some great stuff since - Sega CD emulation has been coming along great.

Skyzard

Banned
All of Robert's .emus are wonderful and the best you can get. Just pony up the dough for the others. He has the SNES one for free only because Google removed it from their market a couple years ago for whatever reason.

The free emulators cannot even come close to the quality you will get from his.

I don't recall MD.emu ever being free (I bought it a long, long time ago) but you are most likely using an ancient version and if so are missing out on some great stuff since - Sega CD emulation has been coming along great.

Hmm the version number is 1.4.34 (newest is 1.5.3 I think, bit pricey too) my phone isn't rooted or anything special - would it still be possible (since non-rooted phone) that I installed a pirated version or something? I don't remember the website looking dodgy at all but full of beta-ish apps, even had an early version of minigore. I thought it might have been an old version that he's taken it off like with the snes version?..Bit new to android, only got it about a week ago. The emulator works really well with sonic and knuckles but yeah I'd appreciate if anyone knows for certain..don't particularly want a dodgy copy, who knows what it's doing.

Installing an app to your phone from the web browser is such an amazing feature. Especially for someone like me who is too lazy to get up and walk across the room to find the app on my phone in the play store.

la_briola

[IMG*]https://lh5.ggpht.com/uKMLeuxaSH90Vp_YFR0CWBBsV5GAIsVxakcmC-qfW472GoqNjceurR0D3LPAw8Qnq4M=w705[/IMG]

Ichi is now free on Android

[IMG*]https://lh4.ggpht.com/uesMgKg3AVtsUMT9UvkXLs0CxYthlyxmvoNYbLJMibSZHT_W9Im79Rqy5tAphLUlifU[/IMG]

Download here

This application has access to the following:
Network communication: full network access
Phone calls: read phone status and identity
Storage: modify or delete the contents of your USB storage modify or delete the contents of your SD card

Why?

adroit

It has ads, according to the reviews in the Google Play store. That explains the Internet.

Don't know why so many apps want telephony access. To get the phone's unique identifier for tracking you? To detect app theft (piracy)? To track the phone numbers of all your incoming and outgoing calls? Don't know. The only reason I allow it is because I'm using a tablet with no phone capability. I will never install such an app on a phone.

I think the ads are basically apps themselves and probably inherit the same permissions the main app has. If that's true (don't know for sure), the advertisers have read/write access to your USB storage, access to all your phone activity, etc. Grosses me out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish Square would port over FFT instead of another #erd FF title.

Also WTB all of those Japanese shumps ported to the west. I'd probably easily buy Ikaruga.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Because android is a terrible platform. :)

Real reason: If we don't ask for it some devices get a annoying pop-up saying something like: "The developer didn't ask for permissions bla ba". That the only reason why we have it in there.

I wish android users could just upgrade their devices like iOS users can. It's super annoying to have so many devices with different firmwares. It truly is.

Only thing we use is:
Saving for save files.
Internet for sharing/downloading levels.
We do not even want anything else :D

Skyzard

Banned

Real reason: If we don't ask for it some devices get a annoying pop-up saying something like: "The developer didn't ask for permissions bla ba". That the only reason why we have it in there.

I wish android users could just upgrade their devices like iOS users can. It's super annoying to have so many devices with different firmwares. It truly is.

Only thing we use is:
Saving for save files.

Not all apps need it and with those apps I don't get any pop ups about permissions. Otherwise I can see why devs would prefer the more subtle permission notification.

I've read that one is about identifying unique users but no idea really :s

rossonero

Only thing we use is:
Saving for save files.

I bought the app and now my paid for version is being replaced by a free version with shitty ads that destroy battery life.

There's a reason I buy apps rather than use the free ones.

sakipon

There are notable and wide spread apps such as browsers that do not require phone identity. Any examples of devices with such issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom