• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

Does Spell Sword work with the PowerA/MOGA controller device thing? Im getting mine tomorrow (hopefully) and I hope it works with it. Pressing the left/right screen arrows dont work right all the time nor the attack/jump.

Why the F aint this game on say Vita. I downloaded the game yesterday and I must of put more time than my vita for the past months. Like damn it so addicting and simple game. Sadly my phone tends to run a lil bit slow/stutters when there is alot of action on screen. Im gonna have to see if I can run my phone faster.

BiggNife

How do you get apps that aren't compatible with your device?

If it's a free app, just sideload it. Search for the .apk file on Google and either download the apk directly to your device or download it on your pc and use a USB cable to move it to your device. You might have to go into your phone's settings and check off a box that says something along the lines of "allow installation of third party content" before you can do this.

However, if the app isn't free and there's no way to legally sideload it, I have heard there is something called "Market Enabler" which lifts all of the restrictions from the Play Store. Pretty sure you need to have a rooted phone to do that, haven't tried it myself.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How do you get apps that aren't compatible with your device?
If it's not compatible with your device, why would you want it?

Edit: Again, I'm new to this so I would assume not compatible = won't work on said device?

BiggNife

Edit: Again, I'm new to this so I would assume not compatible = won't work on said device?

Not always. Sometimes it just means the app hasn't been tested on that device yet, even though it works. For example, the Xbox Smartglass app worked fine on the Nexus 7 when it was originally released, but you couldn't download the app to a Nexus 7 until a month later when MS officially supported 7 inch tablets. Similarly, I got DrawSomething (the free version) working on my Kindle Fire at least a couple weeks before I could get it in the Play Store or Amazon store via sideloading.

alf717

My a100 just took a dump so I guess I'm now in the market for a new tablet. Any suggestions? Looking for something with a tegra 3 and micro sd slot.

My a100 just took a dump so I guess I'm now in the market for a new tablet. Any suggestions? Looking for something with a tegra 3 and micro sd slot.
While nexus 7 doesn't have a micro SD slot, with the OTG cable and the nexus media importer app you can use USB drives on it.

Darkmakaimura

Not always. Sometimes it just means the app hasn't been tested on that device yet, even though it works. For example, the Xbox Smartglass app worked fine on the Nexus 7 when it was originally released, but you couldn't download the app to a Nexus 7 until a month later when MS officially supported 7 inch tablets. Similarly, I got DrawSomething (the free version) working on my Kindle Fire at least a couple weeks before I could get it in the Play Store or Amazon store via sideloading.
Zenonia 5 isn't available on the Kindle store yet and I wouldn't mind completing the collection. So I did a google search like you mentioned for the .apk file and found a bunch of sites that look kinda shady. Plus, where would I go to sideload it?

kmfdmpig

Controller question:

I've got a Note 2 (rooted) and am looking into using it for emulation and newer Android games (Dead Trigger, Army of Darkness TD, etc..).
Would Moga
or a PS3 Controller + Sixaxis app be better? Why?

I'm assuming the PS3 controller would be better, but am curious to hear different opinions.

Mikeside

Controller question:

I've got a Note 2 (rooted) and am looking into using it for emulation and newer Android games (Dead Trigger, Army of Darkness TD, etc..).
Would Moga
or a PS3 Controller + Sixaxis app be better? Why?

I'm assuming the PS3 controller would be better, but am curious to hear different opinions.

PS3 controller plus gameklip = best solution ever.

jokkir

I'm assuming they either didn't test it or think my device is too weak to run it. But either way, I want to get those apps so that when I upgrade in the future, it'll be ready there from day 1.

Zenonia 5 isn't available on the Kindle store yet and I wouldn't mind completing the collection. So I did a google search like you mentioned for the .apk file and found a bunch of sites that look kinda shady. Plus, where would I go to sideload it?

If you've rooted your phone, you can get an app that can change what model your phone is identified as, to fake compatibility, and even change the region (to get at stuff that's locked to America only or Japan only or whatever.) It's not a simple process though.

Getting an .apk file for something that you can't download on your phone through a legit place like amazon is pretty much going to be piracy.

If you've rooted your phone, you can get an app that can change what model your phone is identified as, to fake compatibility, and even change the region (to get at stuff that's locked to America only or Japan only or whatever.) It's not a simple process though.

Getting an .apk file for something that you can't download on your phone through a legit place like amazon is pretty much going to be piracy.

Can you even pirate something free?

So I'm pretty confused as to why World of Goo won't install onto my Nexus 7 from the Amazon Appstore. I purchased it when it was free, and get to the install process. Every single time the install goes through though, it says "app not installed".

It's pretty irritating and I wish I could get it to work. All the other free Amazon apps have installed fine.

Gattsu25

Banned
Third person to post this, this page - read the thread more often guys :p

Also I heard it was super easy except for the final challenge...was that wrong?
They aren't notifying others about sales so I have absolutely no problem with the repeats of people posting their personal experiences.

The game (Rayman Jungle Run) is both easy and hard. Easy to beat the levels, harder to get 100% in the levels plus there are four actually hard hidden levels with no collectables. It's one of my favorite platformers on mobile.

It has the best implementation of touch controls that I've seen and understands the limitations of the platform.

mackattk

They aren't notifying others about sales so I have absolutely no problem with the repeats of people posting their personal experiences.

The game (Rayman Jungle Run) is both easy and hard. Easy to beat the levels, harder to get 100% in the levels plus there are four actually hard hidden levels with no collectables. It's one of my favorite platformers on mobile.

It has the best implementation of touch controls that I've seen and understands the limitations of the platform.

It wasn't a big deal for me to repeat going through the levels. It was a little annoying, but at least it wasn't one of those games with a huge timesink like Jetpack Joyride. It still isn't excusable that it deleted the saves though.

What do you mean about the hidden levels? Do you mean the land of the dead levels after you collect so many teeth?

Skyzard

Banned

Yeah there definitely seems like a problem with the game update and save compatibility and I have no issue with their posts..but for their own sakes ;)

I'll pick up rayman then as that seems basically what origins was like in terms of difficulty, it's currently a bit less on the amazon store as well. Thanks a lot!

Darkmakaimura

Okay, I didn't know that would be considered piracy but I do know Zenonia 5 is free for the Android. I suppose I won't bother with it then and will wait until (hopefully) it comes to the Amazon app store.

linsivvi

Okay, I didn't know that would be considered piracy but I do know Zenonia 5 is free for the Android. I suppose I won't bother with it then and will wait until (hopefully) it comes to the Amazon app store.

Yeah I wouldn't consider getting a game that's 100% free with ad/IAP supported to be piracy. They are still going to get the revenue regardless.

You don't need to root anything, just use ES File Explorer which is a pretty powerful all-rounded app that allows you to install the apk file.

For a free thing, it'd be more a concern that the pirated version is altered with malware by whoever put it on the internet.

Darkmakaimura

For a free thing, it'd be more a concern that the pirated version is altered with malware by whoever put it on the internet.
All the sites looked shady so I didn't even try and download it anywhere. But on the legit sites (such as play.google.com), Zenonia 5 is free. I'm just not able to get it for the Fire HD.

All the sites looked shady so I didn't even try and download it anywhere. But on the legit sites (such as play.google.com), Zenonia 5 is free. I'm just not able to get it for the Fire HD.

I guess someone could download it on their phone from Google Play, use a backup app to get the .apk file, then give it to you to install.

Fire lets you install apk files with no fuss, right?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Today's Amazon free app: EDGE extended! This should be gud!

Gattsu25

Banned
It wasn't a big deal for me to repeat going through the levels. It was a little annoying, but at least it wasn't one of those games with a huge timesink like Jetpack Joyride. It still isn't excusable that it deleted the saves though.

What do you mean about the hidden levels? Do you mean the land of the dead levels after you collect so many teeth?
Yep, talking about the land of the dead levels

Playstation mobile won't let me make a PSN account. Keeps force closing. To be fair, though, I'm on 2.3.3 with Xperia Play, and I got it as a part of GBtweaked.

iavi

This game!... It may be a shameless Outrun clone but it's so good! Even the music is great and there's a free ad-supported version too.

Final Freeway 2R

Thanks for putting me on to this one. It has nowhere near the depth, but it actually scratches that outrun itch for me. Turn off the gyro control and its actually a great little game.

saunderez

Thanks for putting me on to this one. It has nowhere near the depth, but it actually scratches that outrun itch for me. Turn off the gyro control and its actually a great little game.
The gyro control truly is terrible I suffered through that for 2 races before I sought out a better control method.

Corum

I got this while full price and was very happy. Of course, I would have been happier to have gotten it on sale. While the game is repetitive, the production is top notch. I really enjoyed the comedy and voice acting.

I've read lots of positive comments but forgot to pick it up - no excuse now with the sale.

Skyzard

Banned
Amazon has been putting up all the games I've been buying and the few I was able to get from the humbe bundles!

Splice would be less clunky with pen compatibility.. only just getting used to it though. Very nice presentation and music.

Metal Slug 3 is decent and is on sale at the moment, only thing is it has a gree button everywhere.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
jmxJqFJrzSX8f.png

Just updated Cytus, loving everything about it. If you need a really good rhythm game, go download it! (It's totally free with only one paid option to remove cool downs)... Plus it helps to unlock the next chapter :eek:

I'm waaaay LTTP, but holy shit ths game looks amazing. Thanks!

edit: I take this back. This game IS amazing.

BiggNife

Amazon has been putting up all the games I've been buying and the few I was able to get from the humbe bundles!

Splice would be less clunky with pen compatibility.. only just getting used to it though. Very nice presentation and music.

Metal Slug 3 is decent and is on sale at the moment, only thing is it has a gree button everywhere.
Do you know if MS3 has external controller support? I want to play it but I can't imagine playing a Metal Slug game with a touchscreen controller interface. Those games demand precision you simply can't get from a touch-screen d-pad. I really hope there's some way I could play it on my Moga.

BiggNife

Is Devil's Attorney a ripoff of the Ace Attorney series?

Maybe in terms of premise, but my understanding is that DA is closer to a puzzle game whereas AA is more of a point-and-click adventure.

e: Whoops, double post! Meant to edit this into my last post. I guess that's what I get for getting three hours of sleep last night.

bonesquad

I got this while full price and was very happy. Of course, I would have been happier to have gotten it on sale. While the game is repetitive, the production is top notch. I really enjoyed the comedy and voice acting.

The production values of Devil's Attorney are excellent, but I felt the gameplay was way too shallow/repetitive. The game is nothing like Ace Attorney. The battles play like a turn based JRPG. Including the feeling of grinding. Because I didn't find that much fun I grew bored of the game quickly.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Maybe in terms of premise, but my understanding is that DA is closer to a puzzle game whereas AA is more of a point-and-click adventure.

e: Whoops, double post! Meant to edit this into my last post. I guess that's what I get for getting three hours of sleep last night.

I wouldn't describe DA as a puzzle game. It's an extremely simplistic strategy RPG where you have a series of enemies (opposing counsel, witnesses, evidence, etc.) that you have to "attack" with one of your various "legal" skills. After each battle, you receive your fee, which you can use to upgrade your apartment, your office, your car, and your suit, all of which give you access to more powerful attacks that you can use during each trial.

The polish of the game makes up for its simplicity, at least to me. But really, I wouldn't purchase it expecting a challenge. The only fight that was even remotely difficult was the final boss battle, and that wasn't difficult so much as it was simply long.

Flambe

Just play another game in their 'Story' series. Aren't they all pretty much the same? :p

Saw this list and all I can think is... really? This is the best they could come up with?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3000069_best_games

They do follow a couple basic blueprints. Some are similar to Game Dev Story in that they are largely about levelling up Characters/Items which then go about their task. These would be games like Pocket League, Grand Prix, Sushi Spinnery. Other games are more of a building-type game such as Mega Mall Story, Pyra Plex, etc. Others are a mix of both or try to do something a bit different like Epic Astro Story or Dungeon Village.

I dunno, I don't usually play past a full game plus one or two replays but it's enough. They are the only Android developer that I'll insta-purchase games day-1 even though they are usually $5.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Played Cytus all day, this game is freaking amazing. Come on, Google, gimme those gift cards, I wanna throw money at the devs >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom